Camp Takajo Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
A lifestyle choice
Trip Leader/Outdoor (Former Employee) –  Naples, MaineNovember 10, 2012
A great place to work for the summer. Helps to develop leadership skills.

• Planning and execution of all trips outside of camp property. Including but not limited to hiking, climbing, canoeing and camping
• Desinging and managing classes, team building events and confidence building activities
Pros
great fun
Cons
24 hours a day
Summer Camp of boy age 7 to 15
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Naples, MESeptember 11, 2012
Wake up at 4 am Make muffin,(blueberry, Cranberry, Bran, Lemon Poppy, Ect.) then Cinnamon Bunsand Danish. For 600 campers and Counsellers alone with Grounds and other staff members. Breakfast was at 6 am for staff, then 7:30 am and 8am for Campersand Counsellers.
Around 9 am I would start the snacks and desserts for lunch,(Cookies, Brownies, treats the campers could take and eat on the go) lunch was at 11:30 am for staff, 12:30 and 1 pm for campers and counsellers.
At 2 pm I would start the desserts for dinner (Cakes , Pies, and Ice Cream, Everything was made from scratch fresh every day. the camper count, would change every day depending on the diffent trips that the campers and counsellers took.
some times i could take an hour at 3:30 or 4 pm.
dinner was always served at 5:30 and 6:30, staff eat after the campers after dinner staff cleaned up dinning hall dinner for staff started after the campers were fed. I left the hall arould 7:30 to 8 pm.
I was incharge of the Bakery. I was to make sure the campers got fed correctly.
I usually had a helper to help with the baking and the cleaning up of the bakery. I usually did everything in the bakery.
the hardest thing was the long hours, with one day off a week. a normal day was 4 am to 8 pm with maybe an hour off in the afternoon for personal time.
the best part was the camper. I baked for the campers not for the camp if you know what i mean. you made sure that the campers were taken care of no matter what. the owner stressed that this camp was for the campers not for me. hes a great guy.
Pros
room and board was free or as some of the counsellers stated part of your pay, you could also use anything on the camp during off hours.
Cons
12 hour days makes you very tired, even though you could take a break when ever as long as things got done.

4.7