Campbell Soup Company

Campbell Soup Company Employee Reviews

An establishment where even your parents may have been employed back in the day.
Accounts Payable Specialist Power User/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJDecember 18, 2014
Campbell Soup Company used to be a place where you knew you would learn, grow, even have some fun time and maybe even retire from. Their moto was "People Valuing People". After a while, jobs started disappearing to other countries. Jobs were being downsized and people being laid-off only to have some new hires for the same job just slightly reconfigured. People Valuing People was a thing of the past. Even the fun events to show the company's appreciation to its employees stopped.

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and those I connected with. Even the vendors were a pleasure to deal with. I did learn a lot from Campbell's: typical bill paying, advertising, marketing, food service and some sales. The hardest part of my job was knowing that it would all come to an end and good people would no longer be employed including myself.
Busy fast pased position with several lines running.
Mechanical and Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 22, 2013
The day starts with a cross over meeting so I can transfer the issues from the leaving shift to the incoming shift. Specific jobs were distributed to help the day run and others would be scheduled to preventative maintenance or corrective work. I have learned to relax, listen fully to what is said before jumping to conclusions. The management in the Sacramento made several promises that would never come true. My co-workers worked well together to ensure the best outcome in OEE and safety daily. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a manager that was so full of himself that no one else mattered. I did enjoy the part of making it to a manager position, I worked for several years and went back to school to achieve a degree.
Pros
the prestige of being a maintenance manager for campbell soup
Cons
promisses that would never come true
Manufacturing environment with a diverse and dedicated work group.
Manager of Training and Development, (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 14, 2013
A 37 year career through the management ranks helped me secure a position as Manager of Training and Development. During my years at Campbell I completed my BA in Business Management, worked with managers and Human Resources developing training and programs according to the direction of the company and the needs of the various employee groups.

The most difficult part of the job came during the last 18 months when the corporate group prepared to close the Sacramento facility and programs were cut, resources were denied without adequate explanation to employees.

The most gratifying part of my experience was the "light bulb" syndrome, when employees implemented training tools and achieved results.
Pros
great people and lasting relationships, good products
Cons
union enviroment sometimes was a hindance.
a magnificent company who has given good business for over 40 years
Sanitation , Quality Control . Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 30, 2014
I loved being the backup person, when there was any help needed.
on a typical day I did all the cleaning./sanitation. I learned how to drive the tomato truck and unload them. I controlled the tomato chute, watching the speed of the chute sending the tomatoes to the conveyor belts diligently, I managed and made the call for emergency evacuations of any tomato paste 22ft barrels if any metal or hazards got inside, then cleaned them out, I monitored the pressure gauges for the heat control of the boiling tomatoes,
I never felt my job was ever too hard,
the enjoyable part was learning so many different important operations to the Companies functions
Pros
learning so much, working with such an amazing company
R&D Beverage Packaging Intern
R&D Beverage Packaging Intern (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJApril 3, 2014
• Attended and led meetings while building a cross functional network in order to meet deadlines.
• Balanced multiple projects simultaneously while acquiring experience with various packaging materials, processes, and business models.
• Supported a variety of projects with processes including hot filling of PET bottles and aseptic filling of Tetra Paks.
• Determined package design for co-op project and presented findings to Innovation team pipeline.
• Managed packaging initiatives on light weighting a PET bottle, down gauging shrink sleeves, and down gauging PPS film, providing large cost savings for the company.
• Training opportunities: paper, corrugate, PET, flexible film, cans, shrink sleeve
Company allows you to play games or watch tv while on break
Ingredient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 9, 2013
My day usually starts by analyzing a production schedule that pertains to my job title for that day, so my job is to prepare and set up ingredient for various soup lines. What I've learned is to be responsible and pay close attention to the material number or codes that are being used to avoid mistakes. Management was something I always thought could need a little improvement when trying to run efficiently. It's always good to communicate with your co-workers and work as a team. The hardest part of the job is to keep up when it's running heavy and fast, and the most enjoyable part is when everything running smoothly and efficiently and enter acting with your co-workers etc.
Great job for the Moment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dixon, CAJuly 5, 2014
Campbells' canning facility in Dixon California runs a seasonal line for 100 to 110 days continuously. They hire mechanics and electricians and line workers on the guise that they are going to stay employed after the season. Shortly after the seasonal run ends they are let go no matter how good they are because it is a union operation and seniority rules. During the season you have to work 7 days a week. NO DAYS OFF. They are good benefits while you are there but the pay isn't better that anybody else. Management is very old fashion union and very unfair.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long days, seasonal work, 7 days a week. union mentality. short term for most new hires.
all three shifts worked good together and as a award we had a quite few pot lucks
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 27, 2015
making sure production had the right ingredients and on time. work at a steady pace and always keeping safety first. letting management know whats going on in the work areas. whats working and whats not working and all the safety problems. talking to your fellow co-workers about work and being respectful at same time. trying to keep everybody on the same page. trying to work and to be safe at all times. making sure everybody goes home safe and coming to the end your shift.
Pros
we had good company picnics and proper bonuses
Cons
what can i say, breaks were breaks. we had a very good health care plan.
Senior Cust. Serv. Analyst
Senior Customer Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJDecember 27, 2013
- Managed customer accounts to ensure: accurate pricing, terms, lead times, special packing requirements, stock availability and resolution of trucking issues
- Partnered with multiple company departments to process credit memos for promotional deductions/charge-backs, tracked open items and aged deductions
- Researched and resolved $32K aged charge-backs, from key customer, for reimbursement
- Created and implemented new policies and procedures for breakdown of mass orders to truck-load shipments, while ensuring customer receives incentive pricing
Pros
excellent benefits and compensation
productive and great work environment
Palletizer Operator and Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Maxton, NCDecember 8, 2015
This is a great place to work would love to get hired permanently, has great benefits and would be awesome to retire here. The work environment is really good I enjoy the people that I work with couldn't ask for better co-workers. Typical night for me is working in the shipping office getting the bills ready for drivers, making sure the workers on the floor have work to pull and to communicate with the loaders to make sure everything is shipped in a productive and timely manner.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
breaks are kinda short but that's everywhere
Typical day at work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 6, 2014
A typical day consisted of an overwhelming amount of work due to past layoffs. They downsize every year and, in many cases, they leave the people that are behind with too many jobs...more than they can handle. Then it seems as though you are not doing your job the right way because you are overwhelmed. It's a no win situation.
Pros
the company gave me the ability advance in my job and to travel all over the world
Cons
the company and management has changed so much over the past several years, it really seems that they no longer value their employees, especially those that have been there a long time.
zombies make great soup
forklift operater (Current Employee) –  napoleon ohioMay 23, 2013
The pay here is great . But the management is horrible. If you work here you give up all other things in life, management gets time off and they force the hourly employees massive hours. The overtime comes from the company not wanting to hire the correct amount of people, they wish to run a billion dollar organization on a skeleton crew of workers and thousand of salary people. Also there are so many rules here no one can keep track of them. To sum it up they are slave drivers stay away don't let the money fool ya.
Pros
great pay
Cons
horrible management constant forced overtime
A great place to work.
SHIPPING AREA MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 26, 2013
Responsible for daily operations of the 2nd and 3rd shifts which included Outbound, Inbound and storage of more that 5 million cases of product. I have enjoyed the past 5 years learning growing with such a wonderful organization that encourages growth. I think the toughest part of my job is during the busy months when I need to balance the daily operations of two shifts which can have up to 70+ members. This is also what I enjoy about my job because it challenges me and keeps me constantly working on how to improve my business.
A comfortable workplace with plenty of experience building opportunities for growth
Materials Manager, Everett Plant (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 22, 2014
There are some really great people that partner to develop productive teams to handle the challenges that occur when growing a business. The challenge was to align on gross functional goals to get everyone working in the same direction. When alignment was achieved there was a great sense of success in meeting the goals.
Pros
great people to work with.free soup everyday
Cons
radical demand swings, short shelf life, lack of crossfunctional goals
Excellent place to work, good people, in-house fitness center
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJApril 16, 2014
I greatly enjoyed my 27 years at Campbell Soup Company. I learned many analytical techniques and became the subject matter expert on several analyses. The management was supportive and the co-workers were all very professional. The hardest part of the job for some was meeting tight timelines but I always enjoyed the challenge. The most enjoyable part was the job itself and my colleagues, I have made many good friends while I was there.
Pros
good pay and benefits, fitness center
Cons
nothing
High demands with great people
Intern Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Napoleon, OHJanuary 13, 2013
The days are long. Expect to work 10 hours a day minimum with working on 6 to seven days a week average.
Learned a great deal about food processing/cleaning procedures.
Upper Management was supportive to my good work ethic.
Co-workers were great people that were overworked and underappreciated.
Missing out on life outside of work.
The people that I worked with became a close family that taught me quite a bit about the company.
Pros
never the same, always new challenges
Cons
days off are few and far between
A very good organization to work with
Associate Demand Planner (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 2, 2012
Had opportunity to further my skills in the field of;
Demand Planning for US using Manugistics
Demand planning for international business using Manugistics
Promotion planning for Domestic and International businness
Interact with Demand, Supply and Production teams
Interact with retails field teams
Interact with all international business counterparts
Reporting for S&OP process
Using various system : Envision, Qlikview for analysis of data and reporting
Productive and Great environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJMarch 25, 2015
Is great working in a place where everyone is always happy and with a smile in their face. From security to housekeeping to Campbell soup employees everyone is so nice and that's what it makes the working environment so much easier and better to work. I love when is the Hispanic or the African Americans month because they do a meeting with all the employees and give us food from each culture. This shows that they are open to any culture and there is no discrimination.
Pros
Union
An insensitive company
Associate (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 4, 2012
* Management lacking emphathy. If you're into being humilated by management then this is the place for you. If you're into being told that you have no input then this the place for you. If you have a personal problem of any kind, i.e., death of spouse, divorce, leave it at the door, then this is the place for you. If you want to be part of the 15% that don't see a yearly increase to fill a quota, then this is the place for you. Morale at an all time low within the "innovative company".
Pros
supportive peers
Cons
lack of human value
older plant, good work force.
Lead Electrician (Former Employee) –  South Plainfiel N.JNovember 5, 2015
Went through a management change every couple of years, so plant objectives kept changing. Managment put A lot of faith in my skill set
and would listen to my opinions. Many times My ideas were put into action and I was asked to run the project, as plant engineer was not replaced. I took pride in the jobs done and the maintenance team was able to do most jobs that were asked of them. But in the end it was not enough and corperate pulled the plug.
Pros
good benfits
Cons
closed plant