Campbell Union School District

Campbell Union School District Employer Reviews

Poor place to work. No freedom to teach.
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Campbell, CaliforniaOctober 8, 2012
Pros: working with students
Cons: too much micro managing
Management will not let you teach the way you feel is right. Too much attention is focused on the district looking good. Too much time is spent on testing and preparing for the star test. Forcing all students to take algebra in eighth grade even if they are not ready. District office has way too many people working. Working with students is great. District does not handle discipline well. They do not like to suspend students since it will make them look bad.
I taught. I touched the future.
6th, 5th, 3rd Grade Teacher Assignments (Former Employee), Campbell, CAApril 13, 2012
Pros: equal pay, opportunities to learn new skill sets, community respect
Cons: ineffective principals, demanding ones, long long hours, unfairly angry parents
It's rewards are immeasurable in terms of the gratification of seeing learning occur. I learned every single year how to get more and more creative, organized, efficient. One has to to survive in education because when your principal finds a new idea, concept, or program to bring your school-wide state scores up a single point, an educator has a new learning curve and must embrace it.

Hardest part: Killer hours. Be healthy or go home. You learn quickly it is much easier to go to school than prepare for a sub that may undo your classroom management. Myself, and most teachers work 10+ hrs. per day, go home and review student work another hour, then return 1/2 day either Sat. or Sun. to the school to plan the lessons & prepare for them. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs on the face of the earth, but you'll love it....or leave it. I loved it!

Enjoyable parts: Being paid equal to men for 34 years was very cool. I loved the way I might say something that implied I was a teacher in stores and suddenly all the clerks serve you with an even bigger smile. They describe their favorite teachers to me totally unsolicited. Teaching provides opportunities to learn an abundance of skill sets. Most teachers are learners themselves and strive to keep honing their craft with new ideas and skills. You learn how to think on your feet, that there's always a different way to accomplish a challenge.. You acquire tenacity. You find a way. You make 'it' happen.

And the admiration from your students; especially those who truly do a 180 that year in improvement. Wow. No high like it.