Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Bad place to be if you dont know anyone or is related to another person
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 10, 2017
Its a great company as far as pay and fringe benifits but once you are cut loose, you deal with lay offs, losing your job if trainmasters relatives are in trouble of being laid off before you. A lot of he say she say, Supervision is poor and does not actually investigate anything, also Alot of blame games, you can easily be blamed for things you were at home for. Its about who you know at CN. And they may use you up until 48 hours til probation is over and give you walking papers.
Pros
great pay, car discounts
Cons
Racism, buddy-buddy system, seniority tricks
Fast Paced and Rewarding
PTC Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILApril 30, 2017
Working at CN is a fast paced and rewarding experience. Its so interesting to see so many different people with different crafts and skill sets to come together and deliver an outstanding product to shareholders.
Worst place i've ever worked for!
Journeyman Freight Car Repairer (Current Employee) –  Flat Rock, MIApril 19, 2017
Always cutting labor while boasting their manager ranks, while expecting miracles to be performed with little to no tools, material, or manpower. Heaven forbid the Federal man shows up, and they hang you out to dry with the quickness.
Cons
Micro managed by drunks, drug addicts and general derelicts.
Fast pace
machinst (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 19, 2017
Days off are not greatest. But training was great and people are there are willing to help you out.Also some of my computer worker really take the time to explain in and out of working on railroad.
Pros
Benfits, stock options
Cons
More home time
productive and safe work environment
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Proctor, MNFebruary 21, 2017
learned how to operate locomotives and trains on main track and industry and yard tracks. spent my days building trains and spotting/pulling cars from costumer tracks.
Conductor
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 13, 2016
Long hours, no life, no time off. Management will lie to your face and stab you in the back. The people you work with gossip and undermine you every chance they get.
Benefits
Cons
No life
Productive Environment
US Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILDecember 12, 2016
Very productive environment. Growth and advancement supported. Stable company, departmental team work. Fast paced but achievable.
Happy to be gone
IT Director (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILSeptember 23, 2016
One of the worst places. No growth, uneducated workers. No direction of planning. Very bad conditions.

I have will not recommend anyone under the ager of 32 to work for the railroad. It is old culture and not able to move ahead of the times.
Good company to work for
Locomotive Engineer/ Conductor (Former Employee) –  Fulton, KYSeptember 6, 2016
A typical day includes going to the office to review and update my rulebook, and then obtain my train profile and tgbos. After going over paperwork, I would get on the train with my co-worker and go anywhere in between Memphis, TN and Champaign, IL to reorganize the cars on the train, and after that, I would get in the van and go to the hotel for the night then wake up and do it all again on a train back home.
Pros
stock options, benefits
Cons
having no idea when you're going to get called in
This was a client I worked with on a Pro Services engagement.
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Punta Gorda, FLAugust 1, 2016
This was a client I worked with on a Pro Services engagement. The engagement entailed a 6 week software deployment and development cycle and concluded with user and administrative training classes for the customer users.
Inconsistent home life
Railroad Conductor (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJuly 14, 2016
Well paying job with amazing benefits with the downside of being away from home a lot and no work schedule.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
No home life, No work schedule
Management is the problem!!!!!
Ore Dock Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Two Harbors, MNJuly 1, 2016
Management always looking to fire people the union is worthless for its people.Management is always out to get somebody.
Pros
Good Pay Benefits
Cons
bad company to work for , only positive was r.r.retirement
Chief Operator (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILJune 30, 2016
management was pathetic, weekend work, salaried , nothing but a humiliating experience. Working for the CN was the worst mistake that I had ever made.
Pros
railroad retirement
Cons
no life, terrible management
Horrible place.
Electrician, Minnesota (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 6, 2016
I've had some horrible jobs but this place takes the cake. Management all the way up the chain in horrible. Uneducated, egomaniacs constantly going after their own guys to make a name for themselves. Going into work takes mental preparation knowing what horribleness is about to ensue. Everyday something new with people getting in trouble for supervisors mistakes. Current supervisor is a mentally unstable habitual liar. Baffling someone like him is even allowed to hold that position and how upper management doesn't notice it is a mystery. All around low morale what seems like railroad wide.
Benefits
Cons
Management, work environment, poor facilities.
Horrible place to work.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  IowaMarch 21, 2016
The CN is a railroad that likes to use intimidation tactics and threatens to fire you for any reason they can think of. Its really tiring when you cant even go to work and do your job because you are constantly worried about somebody watching you just to try and fire you.
Cons
No family life
Nothing surprises me anymore
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Flat Rock, MIMarch 17, 2016
Ever heard of a 4 month suspension because your work boots weren't laced through the top eyelet? It can happen here. No, it wasn't a situation where the employee was told multiple times. We make $120k/yr... that's basically a $40k fine for shoe laces. It's cheaper to get 4 DUIs.

They will terminate you at the drop of a hat. If they don't like you (maybe your attendance isn't where they'd like it to be, maybe you follow the rule book a little too closely), you're outta here.

They tend to leave me alone, but people around me are dropping like flies. I'm at the point where I don't feel save or secure anymore. Every week somebody is being suspended or terminated and I'm just waiting to make one mistake myself and they give me the boot.

The work itself is enjoyable. I really like the job, but the management is truly vicious. Your co-workers are typically very easy to get along with and enjoyable to work with.

Feel free to apply, but beware all the reviews are true (except the couple random good ones. Must have been written by some kind of shills).
Pros
Great pay and pension
Cons
Excessive discipline for even first-time or minor mistakes
good co-workers management could use some help.
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 14, 2016
Railroading can be an enjoyable career if you will let it be, but the hours can be long and hard though. The travel can be nice if you are on the right run,
Great job with great pay...poor management
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Fulton, KYDecember 16, 2015
This is a dream job for anyone who likes adventure and anyone not having a problem with being called in at any time of the day or night. Only issue I have with company is poor management. They will try to fire you and lie to you to make sure they reach their own goals and budgets. Management is inefficient from the very top to the very bottom.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co-workers
Busy
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2015
Busy must be aware and attentive at all times. Good employees great benefits. being on call is the hardest part of the job must manage you rest and stay focused.
Great Pay + Benefits. Job Security was the best,
Signalman/Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 13, 2015
CN was a great place to work. They provided me with great pay and amazing benefits. The greatest part about the job was that I was always busy and constantly learning news skills.
Pros
Good Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Amazing Working Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7