Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

The Life
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 14, 2017
Busy on a daily basis but i love the nonstop action as a manager. I am looking for something close to my family. If I could move my family to me I would never leave this company.
Union job
Transportation Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2017
On call 24/7/365. No work life balance. Management has no training or people skills. Railroad retirement is great if you can last that long. People counting the days to retirement and can't wait to get out of there.
Income and benefits are above standard
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2017
The company tended to promote employees with a 2 year business or other degree over seasoned qualified employees that had learned and excelled in the positions for over 20 years. They also promoted someone's relative over the same qualified, no degree holding employees. Management didn't seem to have guidelines with the treatment of their underlings.
Pros
income, bonuses and benefits
Cons
Poor management and very limited guidelines for promotion.
Very good company
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 16, 2017
Good management and morale, good training, and great pay were the standard. The quality of life working a railroad schedule is hard, but at Canadian Pacific that was offset by good pay and benefits. There was pride and fun railroading there.
Excellent pay and benefits. Next to impossible to plan any time off activities when you're low in seniority.
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJuly 12, 2017
There is an intense training period followed by assumption of tremendous responsibility. The physical part of the job is the most enjoyable. The paperwork and record keeping are formidable. You can do it but it takes time to become proficient.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Travel and overnight stays
Very hostile working enviorment
Transportation Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 11, 2017
This is one of the most stressful and hostile work environments I've ever worked in. They don't know how to treat their employees. Instead of a constructive feed back on anything its more that they're quick to discipline and not help coach people in the right ways of doing things. An employee could give everything they have to the job like give 200% effort, but the managers are disappointed that we didn't give 220%. Instead of letting the employees know that they did a great job they want to point out that we could have done better. This can be an everyday occurrence. This company definitely makes people bitter and unhappy with their day to day lives.
Pros
Pay and benifits
Cons
Hostile and stressful environment. No life outside of work.
Excellent pay and benefits
Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2017
I've gained very uniqe skills working for a railroad. I've worked with many different software programs and have moved to various positions that have allowed me to learn another part of how the railroad runs. The challenge of data analysis is what has kept me focused and engaged at CP.
Productive and friendly environment.
Yard Clerk (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILJune 19, 2017
The workplace can be fun sometimes when there is downtime. You have to be flexible with your work schedule though since it is operated 365 days a year, 7 days a week, and 24 hours a day.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and job security.
Cons
Union dues.
CP-A Culture of No Work Life Balance
Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 7, 2017
As a mechanical supervisor you are overworked and under paid. My average work week was 75 hours. I rarely got a day off. My phone never stopped ringing all day or night. If you work at CP in management this is the culture. They talk about how important a work life balance is, but do not allow managers to maintain one. They push the union contacts to the point that every union is putting in claims.
CP rail - please avoid
Sr. Converged Infrastruture Specialist. (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 17, 2017
the company is insane. They paid 15 people to move into the Twin cities to stand up a brand new data center. When they finished (2 years later) the project they fired the top tier of engineering and hired low-paid replacements. The work life balance was nonexistent.
Pros
good pay for work performed
Cons
no life balance
Good pay not worth it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 8, 2017
Any railroad job will require more of your life than one really wants to give. The pay and benefits were great. I wanted to live my life not just watch others live theirs.
Pros
Pay
Cons
hours
Great coworkers, poor management .
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 28, 2017
Great job if it wasn't for shady incompetent management. Constantly screwed out of your off time. The dispatch callers regularly run around people on the call boards, and absolutely no family life. Other than that, its an awesome job.
Pros
cool Job
Cons
no life, shady managment, and poor training.
Crew Management
Crew Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 7, 2017
Upper management focuses on who to punish instead of solutions. There is a toxic work environment that has developed where it seems we are enemies instead of a team
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Potentially forced to work 16 hr shifts.
Confused about human resource value
Laborer Seasonal Tie Gang (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 30, 2017
Treat their lower management poorly and therefore have limited amount of employees who apply to management. Management that does apply and is qualified and capable, is curtailed with limited resources in people and material to achieve goals. The result of management being in this situation trickles down to all other levels of employees below lower management and affects those employees negatively.
Good job/bad company
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDMarch 10, 2017
The guys I worked with in the signal department were good, honest hard workers just trying to make a living. Management however, from guys in the field all the way to the top, has gone seemingly insane. They drive around in unmarked vehicles and spy on employees from where they think they can't be seen. They will terminate people for something as minor as not putting orange cones out in front and back of work vehicles when parked. Management in specific departments will ignore union agreements to meet their termination quotas imposed by upper management. Working for Canadian Pacific Railway has become stressful and unpleasant due to fear of losing ones livelihood over the smallest mistakes. Seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
4 day work weeks(signal department)
Cons
Poor management
Dirty place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bensenville, ILMarch 10, 2017
The yard is a dirty place,as in dusty and you get filthy from the rail cars,some locomotives needed better interior cleaning. Work conditions on the road were great with the right Conductor.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Dirty
Loved working here, do it again in a heart beat!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, MOMarch 2, 2017
One of my favorite if not my favorite place of employment in my short time in the working world outside of high school! Everyone was very friendly, and I enjoyed the work completely.
more of a lifestyle than job
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNFebruary 28, 2017
great benefit fun guys to work with but gone alot from family. days depend on what is going on could be a 8 hour days or a 12 plus day. work place is fun management can be kinda hard because of ridiculous demands from higher up at times
Extremely High Performance Work Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 20, 2017
Canadian Pacific Railroad is a very high performance workplace which has a huge focus on constant cost reduction and control.

Very high production standards to ensure customer traffic Is moved as quickly as possible.
Pros
Focused on Servicing the customer as quickly as possible
Cons
Constant Cost Reduction resulting in being under staffed
Productive and good place to work
Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 18, 2017
On a typical day I would drive my company truck to each RR crossing as needed for an inspection. look for anything that would be wrong in the electrical components. if so troubleshoot and fix the problem.
Pros
company truck home at night
Cons
never got raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7