Canadian Pacific

Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

All work and no play
Manager (Current Employee), CloudJuly 8, 2015
Worst company I have worked for in my adult life. There was no work life balance, only the job. I put in 12+ hours daily and then would be called non-stop through the evening. Along with that i had very poor support from my superiors. If you like to chase the money though, it's worth it. Selling your soul to the devil can be lucrative.
productive work place
conductor (Current Employee), ST PAUL MNJuly 7, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: day off
everyday at this job is a productive day. The managers allow each and every employee to play his/her special role in developing and achieving the production target
On a CMMI scale, rating of -1
Converged Infrastructure Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits
Cons: Lacke of leadership
The IT department is still in infancy as the company is attempting to insource after a failed attempt at outsourcing. Management direction is lacking, the department is reorganized approximately every 3 months in an attempt to align skills with immediate needs.
Wouldn't recommend
Machinist/Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJune 23, 2015
I can truly say that I love railroading. I never thought I would leave. But the constant harassment and the culture of fear that has been brought upon are company in the last few years has made the work place unbearable.
Nice place to work
Gate Coordinator (Current Employee), shiller park,ilMay 14, 2015
Working in the outside in the hot and cold weather, I enjoy working with my great co-workers and great management. I enjoy meeting new people.
Class 1 railroad
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Elkhart, INApril 5, 2015
Pros: union benefits
Cons: on call, no schedule
The most enjoyable part of my job as a locomotive engineer in road service is also the hardest part at times. Having no schedule and being on call can be difficult, but not having to punch a clock is a definite plus.
Make a lot of Money but no life to spend it on
Conductor (Former Employee), Harvey, NDFebruary 5, 2015
I learned to really drive myself to become the best worker I could be. Overall coworkers were great people and really enjoyed working with them. Poor management has led to bad work environment using threats on your job to motivate employees is not an acceptable practice.
Was, at one time, an excellent job.
Train Service Representative (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 30, 2015
The first eight years of my employment were a dream. The atmosphere. combined with fellow employees, excellent benefit package,and a productive environment made CPRail a great place to work. Restructuring of he company became too difficult to tolerate. A once flourishing and efficient company has become a money-centric, frustrating place to take pride in any longer. I was saddened by my inability to make the customer a priority, due to heavy-handed, ill-conceived rules and regulations. In short, I am grateful for the experience and will hold fond memories of my time there.
Great management and benefits
Programmer, Inspector, Window Clerk (Former Employee), Bensenville, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: poor communication
I worked with great co-workers, simple training to help me work my way up to office.
I knew a lot about myself and what I was capable to handle. The hardest part was the first week, had to many things thrown at me at once. Slowly I've learned to handle multiple tasks. It made me work harder and faster.
Great
Operaions Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis MnJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: not enough money
Good Job, lots of things to do and more things to learn. I have lots of experience working with different ethnic groups and backgrounds .
Demanding
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits, lots of overtime
Cons: where do i start?
This is not a Monday-Friday 9-5 type of job, the position is very demanding and the hours will affect your personal life. You must be very dedicated to hold a position here.
Rewarding Yet Demanding
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: great benefits, very good pay, great retirement plans
Canadian Pacific is a great company to work for, I've learned a lot about the transportation/freight industry. My co-workers are bright and amazing people to work with and always willing to help each other out. I'd have to say the hardest part of the job is the demanding work schedule and always having to be available nights, weekends and holidays. You end up having to miss out on a lot of famiily activities in life, however it can also be personally rewarding to provide such dedication to a company. After all, it is the people behind the scenes that make things happen.
Tough Job
Licensed Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Binghamton, NYApril 27, 2014
Pros: money and benefits
Cons: lack of home life and constantly punished by management just for showing up to work
On call 24/7 365 days a year. Long hours with very little scheduled time off. Management knows a lot less then their employees do about the job at hand. If you have no life and not kids, this is the job for you. You are well compensated but at the sacrifice of so much.
Anti-Employee
Rail Traffic Controller/Train Dispatcher (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 14, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Treat employees like dirt. They do whatever they can to make working there a living hell. The new CEO is running the company into the ground.
Mismanaged from the top down
Specialist (Former Employee), MinneapolisMarch 7, 2014
Pros: market rate pay and legacy benefits
Cons: job security, work life balance, lack of leaders mostly reactive managers
The premise of the industry is to control costs by creating efficiencies as revenue growth from new business and markets is limited and highly competetive is limited. With that employees have to pick up the burden of providing more with less.

A culture of position power and fear, leads to little or no job security.

A management layer that has little follow-through.

Work/Life balance is impossible with the demands placed.
Declining work culture with negative employee relations from top administration.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Portage, WIOctober 10, 2013
The top management of this company has just recently been put in place by a hostile stock take over with the sole intent of driving stock price. This came in a very short time period and is being accomplished by doubling the size of trains being run and cutting the work force through excessive discipline.
good people to work with
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), stpaul MNJuly 12, 2013
Pros: home every day
Cons: i had to drive in rush hour traffic
good company to work for. I was paid well for the time i was there. Good railroad to work for if you want to be home every day.
Typical day is to make sure you have all of your ppe equiptment on.You check with your supervisors for required paperwork for a safe day.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Franklin Park IL.July 8, 2013
Pros: when everyone is alert, everyone looks out for each other.this makes a safe place.
Cons: 20 min. break maybe..depends on what job you are on for that day.mayb less maybe more. good pay.
Employees are treated Fairly... Good place to work. As long as you follow the rules of Safety, This is a good career.
no time off
Conductor (Former Employee), Harvey, NDJune 3, 2013
company promised to relocate me back to indiana. you are just a number, didnt give time off
Working for a retirement only
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 8, 2013
Pros: good guys on the floor
Cons: management leaves a lot to be desired
Benefits are great but working a bad shift for the first 15 years on the railroad pretty much sums it up
Headquarters