Cancer Center Employee Reviews

externship
externship (Current Employee), Anderson, INMarch 2, 2014
Laboratory,front and back office skills. It was a great experience to put all of your training to work and this place was wonderful experience.
Collaborative positive environment with progressive strategic global thinking
Sr. Facilities Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: relationship building, collaborative environment, great benefits
Cons: very large, lots of red tape, health reform impact
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a dynamic organization with growth and opportunity. It is like a small city with it's own police staff and support services. It is a State institution and many processes must comply with state requirements. It has a noble and humane purpose that ultimately all work for: making Cancer History.
I am a part of the facilities division and is focused on the project delivery cycle of the research mission. I work with a a large team that encompasses all the support services for the facilities projects. I manage both the projects and the team and we aim to meet and exceed our customer's expectations.
Number one cancer center in the world
RN Staff (Former Employee), 1515 holcombe Bvd Houston TexasJuly 24, 2013
Pros: continuing education is ongoing and required
Cons: when help is short and several sick patients which happens anywhere but we have merit team on hand
The staff are very helpful and understanding .Patients comes for chemo or acute conditions like bleeding,or severe anemia,and sepsis.Staff are highly educated on new protocols of Chemo,side effects,and resources available.Our patients are high priority to covering physicians because of their high acuity.The staff are friendly and well trained to handle all of the days surprises and changes of patients status,like all knew how to dance to the same tune.
Typical Day at Work
Radiation Therapist (Former Employee), Chicago, IllinoisFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: worked with the best radiation oncologist's
Cons: there were none
 Accurately and safely plan and deliver high doses of ionizing radiation as prescribed by a radiation oncologist using techniques such as IMRT, Rapid Arc, IGRT,CBCT, and HDR. Average volume of 400 patients per year.
 Serve as the key liaison between patients and other members of the radiation oncology team; demonstrate responsiveness to the physical and emotional needs of the patient. Advocate for patients and families; facilitate a holistic approach to care with the recognition of the psychosocial needs of the patient.
 Expert in electronic medical record and was involved in development and upgrades of a paperless and filmless department.
 Rotate in role of charge therapist which involves leadership of radiation therapist, troubleshooting technical issues that may arise, and being first point of contact for service recovery issues.
 Actively participate in community cancer education programs in collaboration with other hospital staff.
 Weekly manage all patients e-charts and conduct chart rounds with a radiation oncologist
 Train radiation oncology students, new associates and residents in the safe delivery of radiation prescriptions
 Actively participate in performance improvement initiatives to maximize patient satisfaction
 Serve as key representative of the Cancer Center during fund raising events and regulatory surveys (e.g. The Joint Commission, American College of Surgeons)
Great caring co-workers, rewarding work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short or no breaks
I have enjoyed working at the Cancer Center with Sansum Clinic because the patients are great and so are the staff members. The wokr can be intense at times but I know I am really helping people which makes it worth while.
Productive workplace
Nursing Assistant\ Lab manager (Former Employee), Richmond, INSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: continuing education, paid dinners.
Cons: short breaks or none at all
The office was very busy the Dr's would each see up to a 100 patient's a day and we had 4 doctor's and one nurse for each. I learned so much at that job. How to run a lab. Admin chemo and mixing the chemo drug. I loved my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the patients were very sick and alot of them didn't have much time to live. so keeping a smile on my face and trying to ease them as much as possible, I am a people person I enjoyed my job so much. I loved working with cancer patients and working for the doctors.