Cancer Research UK

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
fun friendly place
Retail Assistant Voluntary (Former Employee) –  norwichDecember 19, 2014
it was new job in my working life which i enjoyed doing
i learnt how to to steam dry cloths and help preparing the shop for the day ahead
Pros
a clean working environment
Cons
Wouldn't recommend it
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kings LynnAugust 30, 2015
I volunteered with this charity last year. It started off OK (back then I only did 1 day a week which I was happy with), but got worse when I started a customer service course with them and the manager started demanding that I come in 3 days a week, saying it was to pay for the course (It was just an excuse to make me work more). I ended up leaving a couple of months after starting the course, and doing it elsewhere. Most of the volunteers were dismissive and wouldn't talk to me, so that coupled with the manager being a nightmare and rude, made leaving an easy decision. I am not the only one that left mainly because of the mangager's horrid attitude, and I know I am not the last. In my opinion the manager should be fired as if she doesn't like you, she will make your life a misery if she can. I did make a couple of friends there, and it opened my eyes to the fact that it is the people and not the job that make volunteering enjoyable, since I am doing almost exactly the same job at another charity shop and enjoying it much much more. It has made me more cautious of volunteering at other shops to the one I am at now, so hopefully I won't ever be in the same situation. Overall I would say it just wasn't worth it. I also didn't get a dinner break (or any breaks for that matter). They really just don't care. My suggestion would be to stay away from Cancer Research and Oxfam in Kings Lynn as their bad reputations can't be for nothing.
Pros
A few nice people
Cons
Rude Manager, no breaks