Canopy Children's Solutions Employee Reviews

Not a good fit for direct care
Autism Program (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 10, 2017
Canopy is only a good place to work if you are in a management position; the direct care staff is treated like second-class citizens. Do not be fooled when they promise raises, promotions, or financial assistance for graduate school when you first sign on. They only say this to hook you since turnover rate is so high.
Pros
The kids, work experience for a better job
Cons
management, pay, supervisors, turnover
Steer clear of this place!
Therapist (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 7, 2017
Management is horrible. They have unrealistic expectations and hate paying their employees overtime if you work over 40 which is quite often. In fact, they will write you up if you get overtime! Management only cares about their census and have absolutely no regard for their employees’ safety or well-being. The salary was ok but a peace of mind is priceless. You definitely won’t have that working there. The extremely high turnover rate is a dead giveaway.
Pros
Salary is ok.
Cons
Everything else!
My first full-time job and the best one I ever had
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saucier, MSOctober 18, 2017
I absolute loved working at this place. The relationship that I built with the children was a blessing. Yes, we had bad times, but the good times topped that.
Pros
meeting some really great people, and kids
Productive Workplace
Residential Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 11, 2017
I really enjoy working with the children at the facility. I participated in most of the activities such basketball games, playing cards, and birthday parties. I really enjoy working with my co-workers. We always enjoyed working with each other.
Lots of potential for a passionate person with a heart for children
Intern (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 8, 2017
In my short time here thus far, I have enjoyed my time at Canopy. There is so much going on at the agency, so as an intern, I have a lot of opportunities to learn about all of those goings-on. The staff is friendly and competent in the field of child welfare, and they are passionate about their clients in a way that is inspirational to me. I am excited to delve into the world of social work because of my work here.
Great cause
Child and Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2017
If you want to help children in need- this is the place to start. The hardest part of the job for most people is the rotating shifts, although many have a set schedule.
Great company
Behavioral Educational Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 13, 2017
This is the best company I have ever worked for. If you are lucky and manage to get in the department you want, this job experience will be wonderful. The staff are mostly trained well to handle any situation that arises.
Always have a backup plan!
Therapist (Former Employee) –  GulfportJuly 4, 2017
If you accept a position at this company always have another job in tow that you can fall back on. Watch your back. The clients are great and working with the kids and families is rewarding. But this company will use & overwork you until they no longer need you. Long hours, low pay (no one gets into this field to become rich though), and intimidating management (especially in the South region). The company's core values are great; if the management actually believed in and followed them! The company is basically great until it's not, just depends on what's going on and who you're dealing with at the time.
Pros
Clients, benefits
Cons
Management, long hours, company culture
Management was unprofessional
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 28, 2017
When I was employed there as Resident Advisor, the overnight shift supervisor was very unprofessional and she allowed certain acts for certain ones nightly.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
The shift supervisor
productive and fun but management needs adjusment
Residential Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 22, 2017
The job was easy and stress free.
I learned to deal with different attitudes.
The management needs serious changing
it was nice.
staying awake was the hardest part of the job.
the pay was the most enjoyable and helping the children
Gulfport,MS
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 17, 2017
This job as a CFSSP Therapist was one of my worst nightmares. I love to help and counseling people, but I had a supervisor who was jealous of me as her new employees and set me up for failure so that can fire get within the 90 days probation time. No one will come to your rescue it since like everyone is a click at work. Also this place over charges Medicaid for seeing client up to three times per week up to 6 -8 weeks. These services that Canopy offers these clients are not necessary it is all about the money with Medicaid. They only take the client who is with DHS and on Medicaid. Canopy this is sad what about the customers who does not have Medicaid and can not afford these expenses services?
Pros
My clients
Cons
no lunch break, no on the job training, work long hours
Meaningful impact, open to change, wonderful place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSApril 30, 2017
Love the mission and values of this organization, the management and staff believe in the values and work daily to implement, though not perfectly, are always striving to become better for kids and families.
Pros
Advancements are possible, people care for and listen to each other, teamwork
long hours and productive
Behavioral Educational Interventionist (BEI) (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSApril 24, 2017
working with autism kids your day is never the same. It is a hands on job that requires you to give each student your undivided attention at all times ...
Stressful and unstable workplace
Autism Therapist (Former Employee) –  Madison, MSApril 23, 2017
High turn over, low compensation compared to other markets, frequent change and poor communication to lower level employees regarding decisions made that effect them primarily. Benefits are great but not worth the stress and the low pay.
Pros
Benefits (insurance, time off, work hours)
Cons
stress, low stability
Death by Micromanagement, poor workers support, Great Mission
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 23, 2017
When I started, the IT atmosphere was amazing. Down to earth management. Family atmosphere. A real team "get-it-done" environment. Then they changed the mission statement, brought in outside consultants, and it all fell apart.

Management became erratic. Micro-management became the norm. Backstabbing and posturing for the consultants became the rule.

In the end, the concocted a bogus story about my performance, took things said about me out of context, and finally bold face lied to get me out.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Short sighted policies, political atmosphere, no upward advancement
It's Not The Great Place it Once was
Residential Care Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 10, 2017
When I first started this job it was a great experience! It was somewhere I thought I could move up at. This was quickly shattered when the backstabbing began in upper management!! The company changed the name of the positions and came up with Milieu Coordinators it turned for the worse. These people were over each cottage. I was ok with the changes at first. As time went on the professionalism, consistency, and teamwork crumbled. The best part of the job in the beginning was the teamwork. Now everyone is simply for themselves. They have created a dangerous situation for the staff as well as the youth that we serve. The children are not accountable for their actions and some of the staff are enabling them. It makes it hard on the staff that try to follow the rules that were already set. The youth are currently out of control and management in charge or not doing anything to help the situations that arise...

If you want to keep your sanity and not deal with disrespectful children that are not held accountable Canopy is not the place for you!! Hopeful this place will get better in the future!!!
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Stability, Teamwork, and Leadership
Case Manager
Therapist- CFSSP (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 8, 2016
As a case manager we were responsible for teaching parenting and providing the family with the skills and support to succeed and remain as a family unit.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
going into homes.
Kids are great, horrible management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 16, 2016
It was wonderful working directly with the children. The company promotes values that they don't tend to follow themselves. It kills your spirit if you have in your heart that you want to help these children and make a difference in their lives and the lives of others. It's like constantly swimming up stream.
Pros
The children and the experience
Cons
The management and seldom get raises
not all organize
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 12, 2016
Need to be more consist at work place. Not organize at all. Everyone is not treated the right. It seems like the employees don't have a voice
n/a
Mental Health Therapist/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJune 16, 2016
I provided mental health services to clients, as well as transportation services to clients. I also completed required clinical assessments , case documentation, responsible for the crisis management, ISP, wrap around meetings for each client utilized the DSM-IV-TR criteria to assess client symptomology. Management was helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canopy Children's Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9