Cape Fear Community College

Cape Fear Community College Employee Reviews

Summary
Teacher (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCApril 22, 2015
Pros: state employee benefits
Cons: lack of ability for growth for employees and for upgrades to the structure/building
I am responsible for the care of young children. I spend the majority of my time creating activities and carrying them out with the children. Mentoring students and my teacher assistants in the lab school setting are also part of my job description. I am responsible for maintaining training hours in the early childhood field, as well as any workshops that will help me extend my knowledge and skills in my current profession. However, the most rewarding part of my job is seeing the smiles on the children's faces.
Love the job at CFCC
Basic Skill Retention Specialist (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCApril 22, 2015
I only work part time at night but its a great job and company to work for. I have flexible hours and I have a great boss. The coworkers are very nice and easy to get along with and I like coming to work.
Working there is good or bad depending on what department you are in
Accounting Instructor (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCApril 10, 2015
Your experience at CFCC can be good or bad depending on which department you work in and who your immediate supervisor is. It's a great college but they focus so much on providing great things for students, that I think they miss out when providing a great environment for employees. Instructors in some departments are overworked and underpaid which leads to a less than quality education for students. The pay is very low compared to industry averages.
A great place to work. The College gives so much back to the community on many different levels.
Dean of Continuing Education (Former Employee), Continuing Education DivisionFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: making positive changes in the lives of students.
Cons: shortage of funds to add more high tech programs.
The typical day is atypical, working with people, you must be prepared for anything! Work days include meeting with peers, generating ideas and working towards solutions to sometime complex problems.

I've learned that you have to give a lot of yourself when working with people. This means being flexible to your ideas to understand and accept the ideas of others.

Management has always been easy for me, I believe it is because I am approachable and a good listener.

My co-workers are great, each well prepared for their roles through their previous experience.

Hardest part of my job was working most of the times without the funds needed to go to the next level. So, as with many state agencies, we had to stretch resources to get positive results.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the positive change in the lives of graduates for themselves and their families.
Great work enviroment
Learning Lab Tutor (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: keeping scientific concepts fresh
Cons: only can receive part-time hours
Typical workday is 5 hrs of assisting students in interdisciplinary general science courses, working on scientific concepts and word problems, finding new ways to relate scientific topics to real world applications. Also, attending and leading supplementary instruction sessions for specific classes as well as auditing courses. Great co-working relations. The hardest part of the job is switching course topics instantaneously to facilitate student volume in the lab. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students succeed and hearing their feedback. Common student statement, "I would not have got the grade I received if it wasn't for you and the science lab!"
Very knowledgeable and dedicated Faculty
Psychology Instructor and Faculty Advisor (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: friendly work environment, impressive faculty
Cons: state government non-supportive of faculty salaries.
I enjoy working at Cape Fear Community College, but the entire faculty is frustrated with the State of North Carolina falling very behind other states in salaries for our faculty.
My current position is split between teaching classes two days per week, and administration duties as Faculty Advisor for Phi Theta Kappa the other three days per week. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students, helping them to understand the material, and become as enthused about Psychology as I have always been.
My co-workers are very friendly and supportive. Management is very friendly and agreeable, and seem to do what they can to meet the needs of faculty and students.
Not a very diverse campus; horrible pay
Chemistry and Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: some academic freedom
Cons: horrible compensation and support
Co-workers are not supportive at all, but they are very competitive, almost to the point of back-stabbing each other for personal advancement. Teamwork is not encouraged. Administrators do not support faculty. Pay is very poor; HR does not give credit for previous teaching experience in order to lower labor costs.
Instructor
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: you feel really good about helping students in need
Cons: pay is horrible
Satisfying student interaction, good for those who work well with autonomy. Minimal administrative back up, and completely unacceptable compensation.
Energetic work environment
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Burgaw, NCAugust 12, 2014
Lots of energy, worked as a team with other staff. Happy environment
Great place to learn and great people to learn from.
Computer Technician Student Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJuly 16, 2014
Pros: great people to work with.
Cons: three hour classes during the summer..
Great learning and teaching environment. And from others it appears to be a great place to work.
Great educational environment.
Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJuly 8, 2014
Pros: flexiblework schedule
Cons: low wages considering my experience
Great work location downtown in the historic area. Great Boss. I learned new skills.
Supplemental Instructor
Supplemental Instructor and Tutor (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCFebruary 5, 2014
Cape Fear Community College has a wide variety of very skilled and caring academic professionals who bend-over-backwards to see that their students get the most out of their education.
fun place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCNovember 7, 2013
Pros: great work enviromenr
Cons: not a lot of interaction with people
i enjoyed my job it was just temporary. i did it as a work study so it only lasted for the semester. the people I worked with were great
Excellent
Part-Time Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCAugust 3, 2013
I loved my job and I loved my instructors. I had a lot of hands on individual attention that helped me to advance in my career studies and feel confident. I would recommend this college to anyone who is considering getting a two year degree, diploma, or certificate. I felt like I was around family and that was important to me. My job was amazing and I loved what I did.
Taking refresher courses and continuing education classes
Student (Current Employee), Burgaw, NCJune 29, 2013
I needed to become a better typist and become more comfortable in recording daily notes required for each patient.
Fun Workplace!!
Secretary (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJune 26, 2013
I really enjoyed working for this company and also being able to have fun while working.
This College is Operating on Outdated Procedures
Student Development (Current Employee), Student DevelopmentFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: it's a state job with state benefits.
Cons: everything else.
Upper managemnt is out of touch with their staff. They do support their staff. This may be because they are too busy being worried about the security of their own jobs since a new president has recently been hired. This community college does not value its employees and does not foster family values among its employees. Rather it is the opposite. Certain student development employees are required to report to work when the college is closed. This community college pays far less than other community colleges in the state simply because of its location near the beach. College functions which are organized on behalf of the student development department are disorganized, and based on college practices from 30-40 years age. It has become very evident that most upper management throughout CFCC is rapidly approching the point of retiring out of their postions, yet no opportunity for training or advancement has been made for this college's competent middle managment staff. This college of 10,000 full time students does not have any type of established police force. I have personally witnessed a student during registration disclose to everyone that he had just been released from prison and he was going to get his financial aid money as he slammed a door shut, shattering its glass. Contracted security will ignore calls for help from staff because they think they are receiving "prank" calls for help. There are not any identified campus safety plans whatsoever. The best part about my job in student development was helping the students that actually wanted to be there to get an education...not just to collect a big financial aid refund check.
Amazing place to work
Receiptionist (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 18, 2013
Dealing on a daily basis with students and becoming part of their life is the best part of my day. I don't see what I do as work I see it as an adventure
Great learning opportunity
Secretary to VP (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCSeptember 27, 2012
I did general office work: letters, faxes, phone calls. i learned to be thick skinned working with my manager.
Great place to work!
Technology Instructor (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCAugust 22, 2012
I love Cape Fear Community College! I learned how to supervise a small office staff.

Cape Fear Community College Salaries