Cape Fear Community College Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
sales (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NC 28401August 3, 2017
I went to school there for marine diesel mechanic and did a 2 year program where I learnd all sorts of stuff like p.m. and generators. this isn't my work history something is messed up
Just an average place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 6, 2017
I have gained a lot of experience in my job at the college but that isn't important for advancement at the college. There is a breakdown of communication from the top to the workforce
Pros
State retirement and benefits
Cons
No state retirement and benefits after July 1, 2017 for new hires
Fine job for while you are a student
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 21, 2017
I was a tutor for a little over one semester. I had a good time. It was pretty relaxed and easy going. Management was nice and relatively understanding except that they will get mad at you for studying even if the room is completely empty (it was not our job to sweep or clean so that means we should be staring at the wall silently while waiting for students to come in? Very dumb rule to enforce) but luckily management is never around, you are left to your own devices most of the time. The pay is literally the lowest possible that the state will allow and the hours were always extremely low for everyone and of course there is no advancement unless you go get a bachelors degree and realize that you made a huge mistake because no one but Cape Fear Tutoring will hire you.
All that said, if you are a full time student who just needs some extra cash it is a great job. I was able to stay fresh on just about every math course offered at Cape Fear which made me a better student in general, people are usually appreciative of your help (there is the occasional jerk but what job is without those?) and the other tutors are very nice and most of them are students as well. If you're looking for a chill job without a lot of pressure but a lot of social interaction to refine your skills or make some pennies for gas money this is a good job, and of course you can get a lot of studying done during the downtime (just don't get caught or you'll get a friendly warning). What student doesn't want to get paid to study?
Pros
Chill Environment, get paid to study and refine your knowledge from previous classes, friendly upper managment, appreciative clients
Cons
Annoying middle managment, litterally no chance for advancment unless you graduate from UNCW first, minimum wage.
Wonderful Opportunity to Experiences and helping with Foundation Events
Administration Assistant Technician-Foundation (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 27, 2017
Multitasking while performing various task.
Positive attitude, great people skills when interacting positively with people who visit or call the Foundation office.
Clerical task that includes but filing or thank you letters from donors, creating spreadsheets, addressing mailing materials, maintaining files, preparing materials for even as well as setup and tearing down for events.
Pros
Work Study Program - Able to work in different departments
Cons
Per Semester
Professional Environment
Basic Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 15, 2017
CFCC is a nice place to work. The employees are all professional and the students seem to strive after completing course work here. The hours and compensation are okay, it could be a little more with the experience of its employees. Overall a good company to be employed by.
Productive place
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 27, 2016
New gym that is off to a great start. Many great opportunities for learning and amazing clients to work with. Built on a great foundation of science and has meaning for every element that is implied in the wellness facility.
Great job for student
College Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 8, 2016
Working at Cape Fear Community College was a great working experience and excellent opportunity. The emphasis that was put on great customer service paved the way for student success and a productive work environment!
Pros
Great coworkers, interactive experiences with students, great opportunity
Cons
Pay was fair, but did not see much room for increase due to budgetary limitations.
Enriching experience involved in the education of future health care workers
CNA I and CNA II Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 7, 2016
As I contemplated returning to college to obtain my BSN, I decided it would be best to obtain a part time position in order to concentrate on achieving my goal. This job has provided me with the most satisfying job of my career. It allows me to continue to interact with long term care patients, students and other nurses. I have been more than fulfilled by this opportunity. However, after obtaining my degree I have decided I would like to return to a clinical environment, where I can continue to develop my skills as a staff nurse with direct patient care, learning new advancements in this field. I am very excited to continue into a new avenue in my nursing career.
Cons
Part time position
CFCC Employment Review
AutoCad Tutor & Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 31, 2016
Faculty and staff always willing to go above and beyond to support students as well as one another. Being a part of this community college environment will bring out the leader in anyone willing to spread their wings.
Great school
Student (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 5, 2016
Learned alot abouit surveying and data processing at cape fear community college also had 35 days at sea on the rv cape hatteras so Ive had hands on experience with hydrographic surveying and data processing
Great to work with students and provide educational opportunities
Academic and Personal Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work would include counseling and advising student. Transcript evaluation, relieving receptionist at Counseling window, planning and teaching classes and special events and participation at departmental meetings.

I learned about the bureaucratic levels in a large institutions and how to function among them. I also learned about all of our curriculrm and health system requirements as we monitored admissions to these programs.

Managers were very involved in our daily activities and did not always seem to value past expertise and accomplishments. This taught me to be very observant and to understand the office culture and ways to develop their trust in my abilities.

My co-workers were supportive and most capable. This was not a competitive environment and I developed good relationships.

The hardest part of the job was delivering information to students that more work on courses and programs was required,

The most enjoyable part of the job was developing relationships with students that helped them to grow and achieve their goals. We attended every graduation and it was such a great feeling to know we contributed to their success.
Great people
Human Resources Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 23, 2016
Supervisor and co-workers encourage one another to go to the next level! They are all very nice and understanding people. They are always looking out for the success of the students.
Great Experience.
ADMISSIONS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 15, 2016
My typical day was spent importing online data into the college database, processing, and working with students from the beginning of their college experience through graduation.
The technical skills I learned will serve me anywhere I go. I learned how a college environment operates and how it takes the whole village to help students reach their goals. I had the privilege of gaining knowledge for each department as the trouble shooter for student files.
I worked several extra contracts for various short term jobs at the college which gave me more knowledge.
The college has a new president that previously was a VP. She has built a new team of VP's and Directors to take the college forward which is proving to be very successful.
No negative reports.
Student success was definitely the most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Great Enviroment
Cons
Nothing to report.
Na
Student (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 11, 2016
I attend college so this prompt is unnecessary. Please keep this in mind when applicants apply for positions to better their career. Thank you.
Overall great place to work!!1
Learning Lab Tutor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 1, 2016
Productive and staff is great!!!
I tutor all MOA students for medical billing, transcription, health insurance, icd-10 and Cpt coding. The hardest part of the job is trying to fill the shoes of the previous tutor. The most enjoyable part is helping fellow students achieve and excel in their academics.
Pros
Job opportunities within
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
Good opportunity for educating students for specific careers in short term.
Departmental Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Administration DepartmentsNovember 16, 2015
Cape Fear Community College has many good opportunities for students and is a nice place to work with the exception of being an uncertain employment due to budgets and have a lot of turnover because of it. All employees are contracted for specific times and may or may not be renewed to continue employment.
Good experience
Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 5, 2015
Customer/student focus for admissions were my primary duties. New phases of computer skills were updated constantly from my input of clerical/receptionist duties.
Pros
Great pay and hours
Cons
Three (3) month contracts
Wonderful Place to Work
Surgical Technology Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 3, 2015
I enjoyed my part-time work at CFCC which consisted of MWF shift 6am-3pm. My work was mainly supervising surgical technology students while also coordinating with Medical facility staff in the efforts to facilitate a productive learning environment for the students. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing each student succeed. The hardest part of the job was actually juggling this part-time work with a full-time job. The company was very accommodating to my schedule. Due to the nature of the job I had very little interaction with co-workers. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Mileage compensation
Cons
Ling drives to and from clinical sites
Enjoyable and great people
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 20, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at CFCC and would not be leaving if not for spousal relocation. The school is growing, which will be a great benefit to the students.
Instructor
HUMANITIES INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 24, 2015
I loved working at Cape Fear Community College. I was exposed to diversity and culture on a daily basis. The Department Chair is a good supervisor, with an open door policy and willingness to listen to his employees ideas. The hardest part of the job was not being able to teach more classes and the most enjoyable part of the job was teaching.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
was only a part time job