Cape Fear Valley Health System

Cape Fear Valley Health System United States Employee Reviews

serving customers
Food Service Worker II (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: na
A typical day would be preparing and serving food to customers with a smile. I learned out to become customer friendly. Management takes care business. My job has become to easy to be hard. seeing customers leave with a smile
Review
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 8, 2015
All and all not a bad place to work. Although, like many companies in the healthcare field employees are asked to do more with less.

Gained extensive knowledge of Supply Chain Managment.
Great job to gain experience!
Communications Operator (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 5, 2015
Depending on the shift worked there would be a varying amount of calls received. Usually 1st and 2nd shifts were very fast paced while 3rd was more relaxed. I learned how to professionally answer phone calls and speak with patients, employees, and outside network callers. I would assist in anyway possible while adhering to the policies instilled; including HIPPA. I learned how to document call-log, make long distance phone calls, call and report on-call personnel, call codes and the rapid response team over the hospital intercom system. My co-workers were always willing to help in anyway possible, always pleasant to work with, and able to build a good relationship with all of them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irate callers and having to get in contact with other hospital personnel to assist them. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to assist callers, being able to get an answer for outside callers where they appreciated what I was doing always made my day.
Proceed with Caution
MT (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCOctober 6, 2014
Pros: fellow workers are great!
Cons: poor advancement for current workers, high turnover
Management is seemingly wonderful at first. However when one has worked there a while and goes through proper channels to request a raise/ promotion when extra duties have been added to one's job description, management suddenly turns a blind eye to the employee. They give no explanation or ways to improve performance. Outside hires are given precedence over current employees; proceed with caution. Can be a great job, but don't fool yourself into thinking that they place long term value in any of their workers.
Think twice and then opt for another job.
HIM Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCOctober 2, 2014
Cons: unfair practices, rules are made up at they go along, months of no weekends off, every holiday is deemed a day of work, no holiday pay as you must use leave to take that day off, management is fiercely unyielding, etc.
HIM Department is run with absolutely no regard or respect for any employee who does not hold a supervisory position or better. The interviewing process is extremely deceptive as it is very inviting, warm, and gives the impression of a very pleasant and fair place to work. Once ensconced into a position with this department, one quickly realizes that the management style is that of pit bulls with pink purses who feed off each other with the tenacity of raptors. It is standard practice to works months without a weekend off and to work every holiday unless it is requested off, which is granted if management is in a good mood. Employees are held to a standard of production but are unable to monitor themselves. If one falls short they are quickly reprimanded with disciplinary action that is designed to hinder any form of advancement. Even the most seasoned have been known to get caught up in this vortex because of the restrictions of not being able to see for themselves on a regular basis if they are up to the standard before its too late. Turnover for employees is frequent and swift as this department has one of the most hostile working environments one could imagine. Run, do not walk, as quickly as you can for another job where hopefully you won't feel as if you've fallen into the starring role of "12 Years a Slave"!! Also, this job is going to voice recognition soon and the staff will be downsized to that end. You have to wonder if the policy will be "last hired, first fired". Forewarned is forearmed.
Float Team Member
Unit Secretary Rehabilitation Center (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCAugust 13, 2014
A typical day at work for this position consisted of reporting to department for twelve hours shifts to receive assignment. Also float to units that were short staff. The things I learned from this position were how to quickly adapt to working with a new group of staff every night. The most enjoyable part of this job was gaining knowledge of different areas of the facility.
Directors
Office Coordinator (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCAugust 10, 2014
Pros: positive workplace
Cons: horrible employee parking
I have been working at Cape Fear Valley for almost 4 years, and all of my Directors have been great, understanding, and positive leaders.
Great Department at Hospital
Chaplain-Volunteer (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCAugust 5, 2014
Pros: great pastoral deptment staff
Cons: great need for more medical and chaplaincy staff as system grows
I find the Pastoral Care Department to be great to minister alongside with. The Head Chaplain is great and the staff chaplain is compassionate. The overall environment of the hospital has it's stressor as it is one of the most busy ER's in the US. There is a huge influx of patients and need for more beds, which are coming. This I feel adds to a staff that needs chaplaincy as much as the patients do. I have found a fair amount of time to be in tune, listen and be there for staff. For me I find it to be uplifting but prayer-full that in a few years there will be more staff, satellite hospitals and more beds at the main campus which I hope will help with the job culture
Hospital office
Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJuly 27, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: no opportunity to grow or advance
Contacting patients to collect payments or get insurance information to file medical claims. A daily routine with no options for change.
Great place to get high risk maternal childcare experience
Labor and Delivery Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJune 22, 2014
During my work experience at Cape Fear my typical day would start at 1840. I would come into the break room and receive report and my assignments. The RNs and STs then went to get individual room reports. Care for the patients determined the rest of the work day. I learned how to assist in uncomplicated and high risk normal and cesarean deliveries. Also, I learned post partum care of a normal and Cesarean delivery. Management of pre term labor played a large role in the patient population. My co workers were wonderful teachers and worked well as a team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with tired doctors throughout the night. The most enjoyable part of my job was participating in the birth of many babies.
Worst place
nursinh (Former Employee), highsmithJune 1, 2014
Pros: patients
Cons: health care, pay
this hospital is messy , run for the hills. They do not take care of the patients and work you like a dog.
Great people to work with, however room for advancement tends to be too political.
Point of Sale Coordinator (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 1, 2014
Pros: benefits- insurance, competitive salary.
Cons: poor senior leadership.
I learned a lot of valuable things at Cape Fear Valley. It was enjoyable for the most part. It will always be a part of my career history that will stay close to my heart.
Steady work but you meet lots of people
Patient Transporter (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 18, 2014
This is a great place to work if you are a people person because you meet some of everyone.
Exceptional crew to work with
Assistant Agency Coordinator (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 11, 2014
CFVHS gave excellent opportunities to develop skills and further my life experiences, wonderful team to work with and even better benefits.
Overall rating is actually 2.5 stars
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the team i worked with, the pcm and clinical educator
Cons: nurse-patient ratio, lack of physician-nurse communication, upper upper management disconnect
The nurse to patient ratio is unsafe for the acuity of patients being cared for at this institution. A typical day is having three discharges followed up by an immediate return of three admissions which is not only unfair to the nurse having to take on such a mess but it is unsafe as well. My co-workers were the only saving grace and were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job, aside from the unsafe staffing, was working a lot of times with physicians who would not listen to the nurses caring for the patient. What I learned is that you can get through anything when you LOVE your patients and LOVE nursing but you do not have to stay and work in the trenches - there are places out there who care about the frontline staff too.
POOR LEADERSHIP THAT DONT LISTEN AND IS NOT FAIR
HIM (Former Employee), NCDecember 17, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: the leadership is not fair to coworkers
THE DEPT HAS THEIR OWN SET OF RULES AND REGULATION AND DO NOT FOLLOW BY MAJOR POLICY BOOK, WORKER ARE OVER WORK AND UNDER PAID, THE SUPERVISORS ARE RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL AND WILL SENT NASTY EMAIL. WHAT HAPPEN TO TALKING TO CO WORKER AND EMPLOYEE ABOUT ISSUES AND CONCERNS GIVING PERSONAL FEEL THAT YOU ARE VALUEABLE ASSET TO COMPANY NOT JUST A WORK HORSE
Wonderful workplace
Heart Failure Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCDecember 1, 2013
My managers give me significant autonomy to create my own position and give me support needed.
Productive, interactive learning environment.
Medical Social Worker II- Case Manager (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCNovember 4, 2013
Pros: learning opportunities
Cons: advancement opportunity is limited
A great place to learn and grow professionally. Excellent location. Competitive environment.
My first childrens hospital job. Learned plenty and I loved it.
Children's Emergency Room Unit Secretary (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCOctober 15, 2013
Pros: alternating work week schedules
Typical day of work included administrative support to patient care units, taking physician orders, arranged treatment and dietary needs, patient charges and supply orders.

Since the schedules where team based you knew you team, what the wanted and how they wanted it.

Hardest part of the job seeing hurt children. Most enjoyable seeing them leave much better than the came in.
Its A job in this economy
Environmental Services (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: free lunch, coworkers are like family and supportive
Cons: management is terrible, no support, no training
I am a current employee the department I work in is managed under a Contract company. I believe this is th worst job Ive ever had in my life. We havent recieved a raised in 3years, management will not allow overtime so with the low wages its always a struggle financially. Overall in my opinion Management is terrible, no support from management or Human Resource staff other than my coworkers I enjoy because we support one another theres nothing positive about Cape Fear Valley. other than saying in this rough economic time I am working and patiently waiting for new opportunities

About Cape Fear Valley Health System

The 9th largest health system in the state, Cape Fear Valley Health in Fayetteville, North Carolina, is an award-winning, five-hospital – Read more

Cape Fear Valley Health System Salaries