Cape Fear Valley Health System

Cape Fear Valley Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Understaffed and stressed in the lab
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Laboratory, NCJune 19, 2016
Lab management here could be a lot better. If you are not in the "in crowd" the chance for advancement is slim to none. Due to understaffing, the hours are erratic and make it impossible to have a life outside of work. The analyzers seem to breakdown more than they actually work. Management will listen to your concerns but will do nothing to make the situation better. Policies change often to accommodate the needs of physicians. For the most part coworkers get along well. If you come to work here it is a steady paycheck, but be mindful of the hours, favoritism, and stress.
Benefits
Cons
Understaffed, hours, management
Productive Day in the Emergency Department
Emergency Department Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 24, 2016
After morning/evening briefing each employee is given an assignment to a particular area. In each area there is an assigned team leader who assigns the rooms to each nurse. Based on the area is the types of patients you will receive but all area nurses and staff are qualified for any area within the department. Team work had to be the most enjoyable because when you have someone to help you on a team basis the task becomes less stressful. The hardest part is the unexpected death of others.
Pros
clean environment and organization
Cons
no shelter to parking for staff which is approximately a mile
Sometimes hectic
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 4, 2016
Cape Fear was a convenient place to work, minutes form home. However, it is one of the busiest ER's in the nation and with that it can be very stressful. I did meet a lot of hard working people even the supervisors, who would come in even after they had worked all day if the work load required.
That says a lot about the management staff!
Pros
Emergency Services Week was rewarding, they gave each employee gifts and a luncheon to help boost morale
Cons
Well, a lot of times people can't handle pressure and quit without notice, which leaves us without proper coverage. So, we may not get a break when we want.
Great hospital
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 8, 2016
Family oriented with lots of benefits for employees. It is hard to move up with in the company. The pay rate is pretty average compared to surrounding locations. There is always lots to do. I worked in the operating room and we rarely had days where we were offered the choice to go home early. You will stay busy.
Pros
Lots of employee programs and lots of work to do. Very busy hospital.
Cons
Limited opportunities for growth
Great Environment
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 16, 2016
I worked there for 5 years and advanced as much as I could without a four year degree. The management is good but need more team skills to be most effective with many personality types. The environment of members is excellent if you are not the person for the "meat locker" sort of fitness place.

I left because I needed pay and room to grow which the reason many college grads move on as well.
Pros
You get into the hospital system and get into another position by transferring after 6 months or so
Cons
If you get in at a low paying job and something comes available you may have to wait even longer
Performace
EKG/STRESS TEST CARDIOLOGY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 15, 2016
I think that Capefear Valley is a Great place to start your medical career. I think that there is room for growth for any one that may be trying to pursue a medical career. Capefear Valley is a family oriented facility that has meet the requirements of many visitors and patients as well as staff members.
Pros
Great performance
Cons
Pay Scale
Cape Fear
Certified Nursing Assistant, ED (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 24, 2016
CapeFear was quite different from FirstHealth. The management had pressure put on them from the top; regarding tightening the budget. Thus the middle managers put pressure on the workers on the floor. My specific manager did a great job, but not everyone agreed. Several of the CNAs were unhappy at work. I just worked and did a good job serving the nurses and the patients.
Pros
My boss was an encourager, and the benefits for part-time employees were outstanding.
Cons
CNA is the hardest job in the hospital.
Micro-Management from above
Health Information Management (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 10, 2016
Management micromanages each employee and shows favoritism. They will work you like a Dog and show no appreciation for their employees and the hard work they do. OT is not allowed and you will be forced into doing extra work and working OT unpaid. Even when you're doing everything you're supposed to do and more they will find reasons and ways to criticize and force you to do more. This department is understaffed and management really makes no attempts to change that. Its all about the budget and saving money with this Hospital.
Hostile Work environment
Clinical Educator, ICU (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 8, 2016
Job duties depended on whether you were under unit budget or Training & Development budget. That changed every other year.
Management micro manages from the top. The decisions are driven by regulatory agencies to ensure a profit margin. The only constant was change. The hardest part of the job was knowing whether you were doing a good job or not. The co-workers were pleasant and eager to work together, thus they were the most enjoyable part of the job. The management has no respect for how nursing can run a hospital. They have never been able to get Magnet status. The nurses and other staff can go without pay raises while the CEO gets his annual bonus.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management driven work environment
Productive and a great place to learn new skills
Intake Coordinator/Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 27, 2016
I learned a lot working for this company. I have enjoyed the pleasure of working with the community, and assisting patients/families achieve their ultimate goal, to have their love ones in a home based setting being cared for. Providing home care in a patient's home has been rewarding. My most hardest part of this job is to encounter patients that are not willing to learn about their health to recover to 100% of close as can be expected & death.
Cons
sometimes no lunch breaks
Terrible
Environmental Services Tech (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 4, 2016
Absolute worst place to work. horrible management. terrible work work environment. shiftee work environment. unfair treatment. biased relationship between co workers & supervisors. especially Human Resources. it you don't want to mess up your work history DO NOT apply here!!!!
This was a very challenging position but, very exciting as well.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 23, 2016
On a day to day basis I cared for people who had just had their heart operated on. The joy and sadness that accompanied this position was more than I can describe. I challenged myself educationally and emotionally. I have opened a chest at the bedside and massaged a beating heart with my hand. That is the most surreal experience of my life.
Very loving and warm enviroment
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Raeford, NCDecember 23, 2015
My typical day consists of providing the best care that I can to my patients and keeping their loved ones as comfortable as possible. At Cape Fear Valley we pull together as a team to get the patient's tests, lab work transfer or admission orders taken care of as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Pros
we have excellent benefits and our company appreciates our hard work.
Cons
Their may be days when staff does not get a full break because we want to provide for our patients, but when our patients and their family leaves our facility smiling we all say it was worth it.
Life of a Pharmacy Tech
Patient Access Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 9, 2016
I have truly enjoyed working at CVS Pharmacy. I learned so much and met a lot of people. As a pharmacy tech, the only way you can advance is to become a pharmacist. My goal wasn't to become a pharmacist.
Pros
Great company to work for and meet new people.
Cons
There was no room to grow after a pharmacy tech.
Productive, fun and friendly work environment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 9, 2016
It was a great experience working at Cape Fear Medical Center, It was fast paced and full of wonderful learning opportunities. Having a wonderful staff to work with, it was productive but fun and friendly.
Good experience
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCDecember 16, 2015
Cape Fear Valley has been a wonderful experience and a typical day would start off with a warm welcoming from the staff who are pretty amazing. What i have learn is that education is key and no matter how wonderful the crew you work with is the pay would be more satisfying if it was increase. Now this job is pretty easy compare to my prior experience with the military but i do enjoy speaking and interacting with people each day. They do present many task which makes this job feel like you are doing plenty of co op work so in other word a lot of team work. They do have a lot of people who leave this position mostly because of the pay. But after all it was an in amazing experience.
Pros
half of smoothies, meeting a lot of new people, co workers, free gym membership
Cons
pay
Very nice staff
Internship/outpatient services (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 23, 2016
Everybody is very nice and have helped me to learn the various programs within Cape Fear Valley. I would recommend this company to anybody because they are very helpful and are patient when learning new tasks.
Patient Rep
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 6, 2016
After 10 years I left my supervisor slept at her desk. Facebook and social media is the daily goal all day. The manager was never in the office and everyone came and went as they wanted to.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Managment
very good place to work an learn from
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 4, 2016
I really enjoy my job
I learned several thing like heart rhythm better patient care mobility
bonita oxendine
cash robinson
12 hour shift
my patients
Pros
good insurance
Cons
12 hours shifts
Bad place to work
Inpatient pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 21, 2016
Terrible place to work. I was excited at first. The manager said i was doing great one week then all of a sudden i was terminated for asking too many questions but all in the same sentence i was lacking initiative.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Gossip. High turnover. Unfair treatment.