Capella University

Capella University Employer Reviews

TECHNICAL SUPPORT ANALYST (IT) (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2014
I spent most of my days setting up computers and workstations. My manager was understanding of my being a student and we made hours that worked best for me. I was always being pushed to do the best that I could. I enjoyed making new connections and building relationships.
Capella offers many opportunities and a great working environment
Senior Editor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 17, 2014
Pros: flexibility, encourages professional development and dedication to learning
Cons: management does not communicate initiatives, mission or values effectively, compensation is lower than local standards
Capella University offers many opportunities for dynamic, interesting work. Employees with drive are encouraged to pursue solutions that will build the company's strengths. Office culture is business casual, but open and very comfortable. Downtown location of corporate offices is a plus. "Office politics" appear to be non-existent, and openness between employees and supervisors is encouraged. Communication from management remains a significant problem: it sometimes seems that different divisions don't speak to each other, and the direction of the business is not always clear (i.e., you don't always know why you're doing what management asks, and changes may be put in place with no warning or clear communication of why or how). Compensation is generally lower than in other, similar companies in the area, though this is partly made up for by the good office setting and great employees.
Not much room for advancement
Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 28, 2014
Pros: work from home one day a week
Cons: pay and recognition
Some people leaders are incompetent. Sometimes it seems that those who are promoted are only promoted because they are buddy-buddy with their manager. Analysts are forced into management roles if they want to advance in their careers.
Capella Possesses integrity.
Senior Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 27, 2014
Good place to work but micro-management style is promoted.
An amazing work environment promoting respect and diverstiy.
Virtual Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), VirtualSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: the curriculum assignment is designed to build toward the desired major
Cons: only hires a small percentage of their own graduates to ensure instructor pool remains diverse
A typical day for me includes interacting with a variety of learners and staff to promote learner success. This is accomplished through employment of both teaching strategies for obtaining answers and providing the correct answer.
Growth-oriented; commitment to winning in a challenging market
Project Manager (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2014
Pros: committed to strategic direction for core business, collegial atmosphere
Cons: average benefits, bureaucratic, unwilling to invest in some opportunities unless payoff is relatively quick
Most employees maintain a 9 to 5 schedule, but some areas are understaffed and overworked.
Highly productive and yet fun, interactive and very supportive team environment
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2014
A typical day at work usually had a fundamental routine, whereby arriving and logging into my work account and handling various administrative necessities according to priority. The main focus of my position at Capella was to begin the process for new and prospective students interested in attending Capella University. Most new prospects were looking for Graduate programs to augment an existing Bachelors degree. Also, Capella University has a large international student body, many of which are enrolling or already enrolled in on-line programs for Bachelor, Master or Ph.D programs. Much of my duties included initial contact efforts between the school and international hopefuls. The management at Capella University was, in my view, the ideal management. Capella managers had a very reasonable, pragmatic and open management style, but yet it was purposeful and conveyed what was necessary for the companies needs, as well as meeting employee needs. Co-workers were always helpful and informative and help if needed was never far away. Everyone at Capella University was friendly at Capella and it was a fantastic atmosphere to work in.
Productive, Intellectually stimulating, fun place to work
Account Executive/Account Development Manager (Former Employee), Tyler, TexasAugust 5, 2014
Must be passionate, highly motivated, skilled in time management and problem solving, effective team player with strong communication and presentation skills; acquire knowledge rapidly, innovative and creative.
Amazing organization
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 21, 2014
I would happily go back to Capella University as it is hands down the most dynamic organization that I have ever enjoyed an employment experience with.
Excellent work place
Dissertation Mentor/Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 30, 2014
Capella University provides excellent training and development for faculty. New ideas are welcome.
Helped for my past position as an executive director.
student (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MinnestotaMay 11, 2014
Pros: on line study.
Learned alot but did not have enough time to fully implement what skills I had gained from my education.
Supportive work environment
Assistant Instructor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2014
Capella faculty have a strong support network and know that they can ask questions--that's important when you don't live and work in the same location.
Productive learning environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 2, 2014
• Great place to learn regarding assessment..
• N/A
• N/A

Not sure what to write in this section
Wonderful company
Contract Editor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 26, 2014
Though I was at Capella for a short period of time, I learned a significant amount and am very grateful for the opportunity.
Innovative but also not motivative
Instructional Designer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: free education
Cons: lack of promotion and low salaries
There needs to be more incentives for people to stay. Hardest part about the job is working with team members who do not want to think outside the box. Too many processes.
Great culture and opportunites for professional development
Senior Registrar Office Representative (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2014
I wasn't micro-managed. I was told what I needed to do and as long as I completed the task it was great. The company was all about professional development and helping employees select goals for the future.
My co-workers were fantastic. We worked independently but helped each other out when needed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and manager. We would have team and departmental outings, potlucks, bagel Fridays, etc.
I also loved the fact that Capella shows employee appreciate through awards and meetings.
Great Morale at the Beginning
Enrollment Services/Help Desk (Former Employee), Eagan, MNJanuary 22, 2014
The company started to decline when the new CEO took over. I loved it to start the culture and company morale was great but it gradually changed once it became a for profit company.
great working environment
Academic Advisor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: no room for advancement
coach clients/ outbound and inbound calls/research collaboration with other departments
Nice work environment for people who can work in computers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: full time hours, lunch breaks, nice people
Work was very simple and straightforward. Fellow staff and management were very friendly and helpful.
Inovative distant learning pioneer
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: set my own schedule, worked from home
Cons: no personal contact
Typical work was 20 hours a week developing and implementing on-line Supplemental instruction for various courses. Learned critical thinking skills and academic planning. Job environment is on-line as Capella is a distance learning facility, so contact with co-worker was virtual or by teleconference. Hardest part of the job was the lack of personal contact. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping learners understand material they struggled with.

1 2 3

About Capella University

Where Academic Excellence is Online As a regionally accredited institution offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree – Read more