CAPITAL BLUE CROSS Employee Reviews

Positive company and good benefits, bad internal politics and management
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 22, 2016
I worked at CBC for 13 years and developed great relationships with coworkers and clients. After a new manager was hired from the outside, she let me go for no reason at all and I was not awarded any unemployment benefits and had nothing to show for my hard work and hours spent working there.
Pros
Great coworkers and good benefits
Cons
Bad Management and Politics inside of the company
Friendly environment with after work activities available.
Computer Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 19, 2016
Management here believed in helping employees to do their best work by making sure they had current information, tools, training, appropriate pay, benefits including time off and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
Couldn't think of any major ones.
some great people, but the culture has become unhealthy
business consultant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 13, 2015
Worked with some really good people, but there is an unhealthy culture where "professional" is prioritized over seeing employees as humans with emotions. You get no praise for good work, and are often criticized for who you are. No doumentation or effective job training but yet expected to keep up to the same work pace of person you replaced. Company promotes healthy lifestyle but is extremely understaffed in HR which is creating a very unhealthy high stress culture. HR is there to do the bidding of top management. forget getting resources for staff and lower management. Only work here if you don't mind being expected to ignore your emotions and conflict avoided at the expense of well-being.
Pros
some great people
Cons
HR understaffed are cold and rigid and no support when needed
Awful management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17177August 9, 2016
The job itself is great it is the management that is terrible. The hours are not what they tell you in your interview. Rules and metrics are set that you can not achieve due to upper management changing and rearranging "business needs".
Pros
On site cafe
Cons
Management politics temp position double standards
Blue Cross
Sr Quality and accreditation oversight Consultant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 5, 2016
Capital is a wonderful organization with the exception of silo cultural thinking and resistance to grow and try new things.
Pros
Flexability and benefits
Cons
resistance to work from home options
Ever Changing
Service Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17110October 13, 2013
Worked at Capital for over 16 years, and for the most part enjoyed my job, the tuition reimbursement policy and the opportunity for growth. Then came along the outside Consultants with their ever changing, but non-functional systems and their morale lowering hatchet man mentality for employees who had been there for many years.

Change is a good thing when it is innovative and it really improves your day to day operations, tools, processes, etc. But when change is only benefiting the pockets of Senior Management, "The Chosen, Special People," and the outside Consultants (a few of whom somehow became high level Employees overnight) - morale flew out the window with non-functional and unwarranted department reorganizations, unbelievable demotions/firings/forced early retirements without meaning, way too many layoffs, pay cuts, loss of incentives, benefits and pensions.
Pros
Had a wonderful Mentor and training; excellent Tuition Reimbursement Program.
Cons
Senior Management, Consultants, poor sales tools, poor in-house training programs, too many layoffs - causing employees to work of 3-4 people; loss of pension, benefit changes, demotions, and no room for growth or advancement, unless you're one of "The Chosen."
Great People, Good atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 22, 2013
I enjoy my work with Capital Blue Cross, management gives the employees the autonomy to help customers utilizing our own individual skill sets, there is no pressure to conform to a culture of statistics or numbers. The emphasis is on making the customer feel good about their experience with Capital
Pros
great people, great managers, amazing benefits
Cons
working with insurance
A great healthcare company
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 20, 2016
It is a great company to work for. The senior level management team cares for both customers and employees. Fellow work associates will help you should you need further guidance or understanding within a particular business development or strategy. The overall environment is friendly where you're knowledge of the industry is destined to grow with such friendly employees.
Job encounter
Claims Examiner II Adjustments (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, Pa 17111August 4, 2015
A typical day was prioritizing real time encounters of emergency updates, emails, and processing with MTM standards set at 98.5 percent financial processing and 99 percent accuracy processing. Fast paced multi-tasking throughout many departments of daily contacts.
I learned to be on alert at all times to prioritize jobs to perform within a 3 day processing window depending on the expediting. Management enforced a relaxed atmosphere in order to keep the fast paced, stressful levels down to do the best job possible.
Co-workers are highly focused to perform their job duties well and questions were to be answered in specific ques per time sensitivities. Amicable but at the same time we all had to remain focused for the time sensitivities completions in processing per coordination within the assigned ques.
The hardest part of the job was making sure that the work to be done was either to be in the clocking system or to have the knowledge of when to go out of the system for special log time. There were times when this was a catch 22 to get the jobs completed in a timely manner. The system could force you out of performing the job to then appear that it took longer than needed to complete the job at hand.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to process timely issues in a sufficient amount of time with time constraints fulfilled. This was always a challenge due to system updates,upgrades, meetings, MTM standards across the board, and overall timeliness within the job positions.
Pros
Healthcare coverage, education through company paid benefits, 401K, Paid Time Off
Cons
Departmental Paid Time Off approved per how many were off per day, each department was a necessary workforce, consistent MTM standards applied.
Everything changes
Adjustment Examiner (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 30, 2012
I loved my job when I first started there in 1989, it was a great place to work for many years. the last few years there were lots of changes and things were not so good anymore. They took a lot of our benefits away from us. They made it more like factory work as production was all they seemed to be concerned about.
Very flexible
Concurrent Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 28, 2012
I had found my management to be very flexible but co-workers were not the easiest to work with and in fact did things to set you up to fail which they did not succeed.
Good benefits.
Capital Blue Cross
Certified Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 9, 2014
I love working for this company but the benefits are not there as of yet. really like my job here and just need the benefits to come thru
Pros
Job
Cons
No benefits.
Former Supervisor
Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 27, 2014
Still have no idea of why I was hired. Was given a folder to start with with some meaningless emails and welcome to the chaos. Fear mongering environment, consistent change within management, I was only there six months and they fired about 20sups/managers and 100 or so temps/regular employees. No structure, No directive - the tackiest unprofessional director ever and basically an "inclusive" behind the times company and work structure. I have to chuckle everytime I see a live fearless commercial - can you say smoke and mirrors :). The claims employees deserve better - on so many levels.
Pros
nice people, laid back environment
Cons
laid back environment, no initiative, hostile work conditions
Capital Blue Cross is very top heavy.
Accreditation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 13, 2014
A typical day at work: I am very busy reviewing documents for upcoming NCQA review.
Since coming to Capital Blue Cross, I have learned all about accreditation, both NCQA and URAC.
Management within Capital is very poor, at least within the Quality Department. There is a lack of respect and courtesy from management and morale is very poor.
I love my coworkers. I love working with very bright and knowledge staff, who is willing to help you learn.
The hardest part of the job is trying to figure our what your daily goals and responsibilities are, as they change daily.
I love working in the Accreditation department and learning new things every day.
fun workplace
CSR & team lead/sup (Former Employee) –  harrisburg, paJune 30, 2015
the overall workplace and people in the workplace was enjoyable and fun. the management wasn't very reliable. I learned how to take phone calls in a more professional manner and how to run and operate as a member of the management team. I also learned more about insurance and its rules and procedures.
Great Culture
Customer Service Assistant Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 14, 2015
Capital Blue Cross is a great place to work. I enjoyed working with management and my co-workers on a daily basis. I also enjoyed interacting with customers. Very pleasant place to be.
Pros
Great people, great work balance
Cons
Pay is not that great, nepotism
Overview
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  HarrisburgSeptember 25, 2015
Very big learning experience with this company. I loved the complexity of the job and that you really had to focus to do this job the challenge there was worth the it every day.
Lots of diveristy
Provider Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 31, 2015
This was a company on the rise! Excellent people, fun work environment and lots of different and challenging job components.
Cons
commute
Good hours, pleasant atmosphere, good moral
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 7, 2013
Worked part-time. Great management, at all levels, who always took time to get feedback from workers when issues would effect them directly.
Great training department with extensive program to get new workers up and running.
Good teamwork and co-workers were friendly, helpful and always available.
Good interdisciplinary teamwork.
Pros
Reasonable breaks and lunches, manageable workload
Loved working for this company
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Lemoyne, PAJuly 27, 2015
I was in training for a few weeks to learn the claim process i would be doing. Managers and co-workers are polite but very busy.The job was easy for me to do and catch onto so I wouldn't say there was a hardest part of the job and I always enjoyed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CAPITAL BLUE CROSS. Our community is ready to answer.

CAPITAL BLUE CROSS Reviews by Location