Capital Group Companies Employee Reviews

Work Life Balance, Professional, Conservative
Senior Accountant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 20, 2016
Work Life Balance, Professional, Conservative environment. Co-workers are friendly, co-workers are always helping each other. Great Teamwork
Pros
Great work life balance, very friendly and professional atmosphere
Extremely professional work environment.
Financial Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 28, 2016
Typical day work consist of processing financial data and or opening new accounts for clients. Worked in a alone silent environment with no interactions with co workers, only managers.
Great building architecture, awesome coworkers and greenery.
Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 18, 2016
The best part is stress less working hours. Management is very understanding and helps workers in every respect. Good place to learn about the mutual funds. Small treats for every quarter is a good treat for the employers.
Comfortable being miserable
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2016
The benefits at Capital Group are good, especially the retirement plan, but compensation is lacking. If this will be your only source of income, the work/life balance will suffer as you will have difficulty affording to do anything aside from go to work and pay your bills. There is great job security but no clear path for advancement and management can be very cliquish. If you get on the wrong persons bad side, your career is either over or will be stalled for years.

The culture is one of excellence and really focuses on customer service. There is ample training and they are frequently doing little things to make the environment more fun. (i.e. theme days) Unfortunately it is very political, more that one person has commented that they are afraid to challenge feedback for fear it would be held against them, and in my experience there has been little to know understanding by management when it comes to dealing with personal/family issues, such as serious illness.

For example, one day I left early because I received a call that an immediate family member was in the ICU. I was told after the fact that because I had taken non-pre scheduled sick time, my manger was then questioning my dependability. While I cannot say that this was the companies stance, it was the experience I had with my direct supervisor.
Pros
Retirement plan, training, associate resources
Cons
Political, Stressful environment, Employees can feel like they are viewed as a desk rather than an individual
Capital
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 4, 2016
Capital had a great working environment. The team members and staff were great. The shareholders we spoke to really needed help. It was a great time.
Productive and fun workplace with great culture and management.
Client Service Representative Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 30, 2016
Very great company to work for. They provide a great retirement plan for all employees and work culture between everyone who works on campus is awesome. Work to personal life ratio is perfect and I never feel like I am being over worked or have no time for personal pleasure.
Great Work Life Balance, Job Security and Flexibility to employees
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 4, 2016
Great Work Life Balance, Job Security and Flexibility to employees along with good Compensation. Excellent co- workers, helpful and believe in delivering quality work.
required overtime daily
Retirement Plan Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 10, 2016
when you first go through the interview they ask if you are ok with working some overtime, they down play it by saying it is maybe 1hrs a week and can be done on your lunch time. I was there for 2.5 years we had ot on a daily basis and its a requirement! if you are unable to do it you have to talk to senior leadership to give them an explanation to see if it is approved. they do try to tell you well in advanced what the OT will be but still it is about 3-4hrs a week.
Pros
beutiful campus, well organized
Great culture
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 15, 2016
Great people and great place to work! I have learned a lot about the mutual fund industry, retirement, and importance of saving for mine and my family's future.
Great Place to work and learn about Capital Market
Salesforce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 15, 2016
I worked at Capital Group for less than a year..I find company very dynamic.Business model under pressure due to popular perception against active money manager
Productive and Professional place to be a part of
Content Producer - Marketing/Communications (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2016
I feel that I have the strong skill sets that are necessary for any role. I feel that my key strengths such as utilizing sound judgment, multi-tasking, prioritizing, use of my interpersonal skills, and use of my strong attention to detail skills would be an asset in any role.
Pros
excellent benefit package, including bonuses
Nice work environment
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 10, 2016
love the place and work environment.supportive team members and friendly Managers.Friendly atmosphere.Learned new concepts in the Project.
Fun Workplace
MS SQL Server / BI / Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Productive work place and conducive environment to work.
Good opportunity to learn new skills.
Comfortable to voice opinion in meetings.
Well Compensated/Room for Advancement/Great Work-Family Balance
Senior Microcomputer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 25, 2016
Best Company - Best Benefits/Retirement-Allowed for advancement-Worked way from Secretary to Microcomputer Support Analyst-All Was Enjoyable-Company picnics-health benefits - really balanced family
Pros
Best benefits/retirement - Room for Advancement
Cons
Mass Layoff - Not sure if it is the same
The most enjoyable part of job
Portfolio Compliance Associate Internship (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2015
the company is great. good co-workers. nice working environment. a very good place to work. you also have time for your family
Very professional
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 1, 2015
This was a temporary position. When I was offered a full-time position to work for someone else, I was offered a full-time job with this company. However, I declined. The Partners were very nice and treated me with respect.
Perception is everything
information technology (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 28, 2015
The Irvine Campus looks very nice, it's well kept and is a nice quiet place to work at night.

The Technology area is very poorly managed.
There are several challenges here.

Each department is a silo. Developers know our own team and our own project but rarely have any opportunity to meet with similar teams and establish standards, come up with unified deployment models or even know the security or server teams.

Why is there a manager for every five or six people?
Why are these managers always in meetings with each other?
Why do these managers only tell us the bad things in their meetings?

The CTO never communicates with any of the workers. This is one of those companies where our lower manager will talk with the teams, the Sr. Manager talks with the Lower Manager, the 'Director' works with the Sr. Manager, and the Security and Operation heads are generally missing.

The management model is goes something like this.
We get bonus twice per year. If we are quiet and go with the flow we'll be looked on like we did our jobs. If you in a position where you made somebody uncomfortable by asking a sensitive question such as "Is this the best way to do this project?" you can be seen as disruptive and at risk for having your peers not give you a great review thus affecting your large bonuses.

Management and staff are shuffled about yearly. So you end up with a lower manager who knows little about what they're trying to manage. When needed they are unable to technically qualify new employees because they are not experts in the subject they manage.

Most
  more... of the staff are not outsourced. Associates are left to supervise the contracted staff.
There are so many layers of managers and objections. The culture is made up of meetings that go no where. Again there is no leadership thus there is no company format for meetings.

The same topics get discussed little gets decided and more meetings scheduled. It feels like we make jobs for people to have meetings to talk and do little.

There are few experts in this company.
We get emails from the head of security showing how great they are with security by talking about phishing attacks on email.
Security guys are all show and no substance
Management is about looking busy.

If we ever could get the attention of the principals of the company there is so much cost savings potential by replacing most of the current upper management and stream lining.

Application developers work very hard, working nights and week ends. They are from another country and not associates.

For those in other areas the company may be different. But if you work in Development and IT you will see a much darker petty culture of non achievers.

If you ask somebody who is allowed to tell the truth you may hear a very different side to the Capital Group Companies stories.

If the company did not have so much money each year they would have less management, if they had less management the extreme weakness would be exposed. It seems they just hire more managers to hide and isolate departments

There are more details of poor ethics to be told but by reading this you get the idea.

Pay is pretty good, job is very easy for most. But this is not a good place for am ambitious honest person.
Pros
Nice outside offices
Cons
Management are some of the poorest of any company
Chill Project
Sr. Developer/Technology Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 23, 2015
Super Team
Nice Happy team i worked ever in my IT Experience
All are jovial and friendly
Work is so chilled through out the year
much learning technologies in the project
free treats every month
late night releases are fun at work
Pros
Free Parties every month
Cons
Shift Time
Good Culture
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 11, 2015
Great culture, people, benefits. Slow to change and keep pace with the industry, slow to advance, departments are generally isolated from others.
its very good environment to work
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 2, 2015
Capital Group have very good environment to work. its very fun and enjoyable in kaiser, the people are very friendly. The office started to get the crowded as the company gew and its was more diffcult to get to know the few people. There are lots of variety in what I did each day. Its very challanging and exciting to work in this company again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capital Group Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2