Capital One Employee Reviews

Found 2,790 reviews matching the search
Very productive company
Customer Care Specialist / Web Support (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 5, 2016
Good company to work for benefits-wise. Could pay a little more for the work performed. On a typical day, you will assist 80-120 people with questions about their car loans, analyzing problems they are having and provide solutions, provide web support, assist with payments and other functions. Most of the month, your are really busy. A little high on turnover due to the use of so many temps. Management is decent. Good performance incentives.
Pros
Benefits and performance Incentives
Cons
Heavy Load, high turnover, inflexibility in schedule
Don't even bother
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 25, 2016
Out of touch upper management, more concerned with being like Google and Apple than creating a lasting customer base. Culture is very high school and the only way to advance is by kissing up to peers and management favorites. Zero work life balance zero job security unless you're willing to work in the Plano campus. Processes are outdated and technology is inconsistent.
Pros
401k match
Cons
Work life balance, culture, training or lack there of
Fantastic Brand but serious management issues
Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 19, 2016
Everyday for the 6 years I worked I went in wondering if it was my day to get layed off. Eventually they wiped out my entire department but I found another position. Then a year later they wiped everybody out again but I found another position. 18 months later layed off again later but no such luck on a new role.

Constant change and the switch back and forth from FTE to contractors and back makes management and recruiting hard.

Little diversity. My department of over 400 had only 4 African Americans and few folks over 50. The are pretty fair gender wise.

On the upside. The work can be really interesting and complex. The operations teams run really well and if you like lean or agile this is good place to master your chops.
Pros
Benefits and campus, agile
Cons
On-going and constant layoffs and departmental changes - Big boys club. Little diversity
Good if you're in Virginia
Principal Process Manager, Knowledge Management (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 15, 2016
Managed writers, worked with lines of business and SME to develop and prioritize content for internal help and learning website. Attended conference calls. Analyzed data and made recommendations to clients for how to handle workload.

My manager and I had a very good relationship, but the corporate culture at Capital One means that if you're not on site, in Virginia, where the HQ is, you will miss out on hallway and one-off conversations that result in decisions being made that will impact your work.

The hardest part of the job was trying to meet client's increasing expectations with constant reductions in resources.

As usual, the people were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
pay, benefits, work-life balance.
Cons
constant organizational changes, job security, lack of meaningful communication from executives
Excellent benefits, very flexible job environment
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 31, 2016
I had many opportunities at Capital One, it was a very enjoyable time working for the company and I met an awful lot of people which I learned something from each of them, some our still my friends today. They had excellent benefits which included incentives for staying healthy
Pros
incentives, awards through egifts and ecards showing appreciation
Cons
Vacation time for management
Fun and expansive area, computers
Fraud Disputes Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 13, 2016
I loved Capital One, don't get me wrong; coming in for 5 days 1pm-10pm was a great job, great pay, benefits; but two factors always hit me hard. Call Quota wasn't something I was well prepared for, and looking back, I could have done 5x better, and plan to if I ever find myself back there. The only other problem I had was I felt like one of a million instead of 1 of a few. When there's so many people that work in the same area for so long with around 4-5 managers around, you feel like less of you and more like everyone else. You can easily become unnoticed, even when you've reached a goal and achieved something pinnacle to your job. Answering Phones and greeting people day to day, helping them solve all their problems (account management, disputes, fraud, tough merchants) made me really feel fulfilled.
Games to play on break, wifi to roam the internet on your personal device.
Senior Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 10, 2016
Come into work to start assisting customers with their daily needs on the accounts. Everything from helping with inquiries about personal information. Updating Customers personal information, to reporting cards lost.

I have learned to be patient with different customers to handle their concerns promptly. Making sure that what ever the issue was to be able to get it right the first time, so they do not have to call back in.

Loved working with my co workers, they brought something new to the table every single day. They made the time more enjoyable being able to relax and talk between calls.

The hardest thing about the job was dealing with difficult customers when there was nothing we could assist with due to policies.

Capital one is a okay place to work for. The benefits are okay, its a fast place call center.
Rewarding, challenging and stress free
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2016
Executive Assistant to the VP of the Processing division. Provided calendar management for VP and 5 other direct reports. 60 percent my day was spent organizing daily meetings and onsite/ offsite division events. Travel arrangements and tracking for all 6. Served as VP right hand and liaison between the VP and his 5 reports.
Implemented employee spirit day built moral and became a more positive workplace to be. Sometimes when you have over 200 people in your division, stress levels go up and communication is off. Bringing everyone together every month helped those stress levels and it became fun again.
Pros
Great Benefits and Advanement
Cons
unrealistic goals and no training
Capital One takes pride in humanity
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 8, 2016
I love the company, it's values, and the employee empowerment. It is a challenging job--especially in the retail bank. Management plays a huge role in work/life balance, and overall job satisfaction. The company does often take risks in making huge changes order to move forward and stay on the cutting edge.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
tough sales goals
Great Organization
Business Banker, AVP (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 6, 2016
Great company to work for with great benefits and good work life balance. Company strives hard to keep applicable information at our fingertips and offers many internal resources for life and career advancement opportunities.
Productive and Progressive Equal Opportunity Working Environment
Senior Account Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 17, 2016
Capital One is by far one of the best organizations I've had the pleasure to work for. The daily stressors are the same as those faced in any other high volume call center but Managers do everything possible to maintain employee morale and a positive working environment.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
Personally, my only con would be the time seated but hour breaks allow room to move around
Capital One is a great company to work for they have wonderful benefits
Senior Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Capital One as a whole is a great place to work for, the benefits are great, the Management changes and every six months. The system is not very user friendly and it was very hard to get my job done .
Pros
Great benefits, compensation
Cons
Management changes every six months no room for advancement on my level
Nice Place to work but Job Security is a concern
Automation Software Engineer and Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 3, 2016
Great co-workers. Very nice work environment, and benefits. Job security and stability is a big concern. Things changes so often that it is very easy to get lost.
Pros
Good environment, and co-workers
Excellent place to work
Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sunnyside, NYDecember 25, 2015
I cannot stress how much of a pleasure it was to work for Capital One, everyone from the CEO of the company to my branch manager truly cares about their employees and gives them all of the necessary tools they need to thrive and succeed. The benefits that are given are amazing, and the company really looks that the team does great as a whole. I absolutely love this company!
Pros
work/life balance, friendly environment, hands on experience, ability to move up
Cons
Great culture, but ultimately site closed due to attrition
unit manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 2, 2015
Loved working with my peers and networking across the company. There are times the company feels very reactive to changes they want to implement leaving the frontline management feeling lost, confused, and frustrated. This then creates doubt about where the company is headed hence the site being closed due to lack of direction in my opinion. Overall though, the benefits, people, and overall culture the company prides themselves in are second to none compared to other comparable jobs I've had. You had fun at work, worked hard, and had the flexibility between work/home.
Great benefits and skill training
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2016
Capital One is a great company with the opportunity to gain different skills. They provide extensive training opportunities and good health benefits. Their turnover has become a stressing situation for many as they make changes based on their growth.
Pros
great schedules
Cons
consistent layoffs
Fun and productive work environment promoted
Senior Advocacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 23, 2016
Capital One promoted a fun work environment. The company assisted employees with learning new skills and taking on additional responsibilities.

A typical work day in the position of Senior Advocacy Coordinator consisted of assisting front line agents and cardholders with escalated situations. Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with empathetic listening assisted in solving issues within company guidelines while maintaining customer satisfaction. Provided supervisor assistance to front line agents in need of solutions to difficult issues and accepted supervisor requests. Maintained daily spreadsheets of agents and cardholders assisted, problems and solutions

The managers at Capital One brought several different types of management styles to the team. There were opportunities for those who wanted them to advance to management with proven performance. The Capital One employees are some of the most supportive and team orientated I have worked with.

The best part of working for Capital One was co-workers and compensation.
Pros
Co-workers, supervisor experience, empowerment, and compensation
Cons
n/a
Capital One was a great place to work
IS Audit Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2016
I worked at Capital One for 10 years. Days were very busy and there are high performance expectations. They hire good people, but collaboration is key to success. You are responsible for your own development and if you aren't in tune with your boss or not meeting expectations, they are quick to show you the door. I worked with very motivated people (work-aholics) that had trouble with work-life balance. The benefits are great, the physical environment very stimulating and there were lots of places to eat (>12) on campus.

On the downside, some dysfunctional bosses get promoted and ruin people's careers before they get rid of them. "performance management" is time consuming and often brutal, tossing the lowest performers under the bus every year, even on high performing teams. And if you are over 40, well, keep your resume up to date.

I loved working there, hated getting "redeployed" (although if you have to lose your job, they do it well), and hold them no ill-will. I wish they had listened to me a bit more and gotten rid of some bad bosses before they made people miserable.

Oh, and never miss the day the CEO tells everyone what the strategy is. Best meeting ever.
Pros
High-energy, great motivators, good people, bonuses
Cons
Constant change, cruel performance management, pockets of bad managers
Great Work/Life Balance.
Process Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 17, 2016
The company itself is great. From twice yearly events for employees at each site, to once yearly meetings facilitated in person by the CEO. More training needs to be provided to managers on things like favoritism and honesty. Contractors are excluded from any perk an associate receives, such as holiday parties, team luncheons etc.
Pros
On Site Cafe, Large Parking Structure
Cons
Salary means you will always work late hours.
very pro customer environment
UNIVERSAL BRANCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 24, 2015
worked 830 - 630 many days plus Saturdays
learned to be team player
management could be better---too much turn around
most co workers great
hardest part of job was being without a manager & short staffed--not enough workers for the demands of the job---customer to associate ratio out of balance--also bad is having to stay past your schelduled time out if customers in bank or if there is problem with the ATM, work etc. --left work late on many, many days
most enjoyable--getting to know customers & helping them any way I can
Pros
good benefits, associate discounts, good time off policy
Cons
most branches short staffed & associates overworked & unappreciated, working saturdays