Capital One
1,956 reviews

Capital One Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
QUALITY ASSURANCE COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAMay 7, 2015
Pros: nice building and commodities
Cons: lots of people so hard to get to know people
I enjoyed working with the fraud/disputes team b/c it was an interesting back end piece of banking and I learned a lot of new things in that area. I learned all the company policies and well as the banking regulators guidelines. The people were very nice and very family oriented. They did lots of group/team outings and events to boost moral and compensate their staff for a job well done. They always were focused on driving employees to success and always promoting within. The most enjoyable part was the staff and the special things w/I the building they provided to keep staff comfortable (huge dining area, great food, gym, doctor/pharmacy, lots more)
Fun Place to work
Collections Representative (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 7, 2015
Fast paced environment where change is constant. Although, there were very challenging task at hand, the greatest reward at the end of the day was knowing that you provided a solution to someone's issue.
Held multiple roles in credit risk management
Principal Associate (Former Employee), McLean, VAMay 6, 2015
 Developed loss forecasting models and managed stress test for $3.2 billion small business banking portfolio
 Prepared Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow projections for small business banking under stress scenarios for submission to the Federal Reserve
 Developed cost-resource model to assess resource requirement for the financial year and delivered annual budget for Mortgage Representations & Warranties (R&W) department
 Liaised with legal counsel to conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis on mortgage R&W claims to recommend strategies and conduct settlement negotiations
 Prepared models to analyze mortgage R&W repurchase demand data operational cost reduction
 Defined key performance indicators to measure department productivity and efficiency of processes
 Developed a consolidated reporting framework to reduce cost and time of information delivery
Fun/Family Environment
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Laurel,MDMay 5, 2015
Each day at Capital One Call Center is a learning process. You learn/gain information and assist customers constantly. The call flow is not bad, the environment is welcoming, and the managers are very caring. The co-workers are there to help you each and everyday. The hardest part of the job would be staying on top of updated information. The most enjoyable thing is the customers, of course you will have some that are upset and misunderstood, but there are ones that will make your day!
Intriguing work
Fraud Detection Coordinator (Former Employee), Tigard, ORMay 5, 2015
Pros: On site cafeteria, overtime
Cons: pay
The work space was very relaxed, management was always around if anyone needed help, easy to get along with co-workers.
Feel energized all the time, because I love my job.
Relationship Banker (Former Employee), Fair Lawn, NJMay 5, 2015
Teamwork and trust create a wonderful working environment. Meeting new people and opportunities to learn new things, enjoy the opportunity to solve customers’ financial needs.
Good working Opportunities
Relationship Banker 11 (Former Employee), 356 fulton Street Brooklyn NY 11201May 4, 2015
Pros: Satisfying my customers needs.
Cons: Customer activity
Getting in to the bank and helping customers with various inquiries,
and solving a wide variety of problems makes my day. I helped
customers saved their money and set them up with retirement plans.
I like to work with people. I am a people person.

I have learned many areas of the banking industry which allowed me
to be proficient in my job performance.
I have enjoyed working with management tremendously. They have guided me through many questions or concerns that I might have, making the job a lot easier.

I believe that I was one of the luckiest worker in the world. My co-workers were the best. I could always rely on them. We worked as a team.

Trying to complete assignments within a very short time is hard.

Knowing that I have helped my customers to the fullest and watching them leave with a smile on their faces is what I strived for.
Great Bank to work for
Teller (Former Employee), Branford, CTMay 4, 2015
COP in Branford, CT was a great experience. The tellers' team was awesome and I was able to develop great professional and personal relationships with everyone at the branch.
Productive and Good place to work
Sr. Software Engineer (Ind. Title-Project Mgr) (Current Employee), Rolling Meadows, ILMay 4, 2015
Pros: Good spending on associates talent
Cons: none
Great place to work and company culture is good to work. Company provides great encouragement and good motivation for Associates. Fun place to work with lots of facilitators and team to keep the associates stress down from workload.
No doubt to say that it is one of the fortune 200 companies.
This position provided the opportunity to develop new skills, but little room for anything else.
Principal Coordinator - Executive Offices (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: .
Cons: .
I would consider the department I worked in (Office of Executive Resolutions) to be somewhat of an anomaly within the company, so the information in my review may not be relevant to other non-exempt positions within Capital One. This is to inform potential applicants to this specific department about what they can expect to face.

Typical Day:
The duties of this position were drastically expanded during my time there. Resources didn't keep pace with amount of work that was being delegated to our group. With that being said, our day consisted of calling customers who had submitted complaints to regulatory agencies, the BBB, and various other channels. On average, we would be handling 20-25 cases at any given time. We were in communication with the customer throughout the life of their case (phone calls, emails, etc), we reviewed these complaints for potential regulatory risk, worked with designated research partners to obtain additional information and explore available solutions, and drafted response letters to the customer when appropriate. We were responsible for documenting all actions taken in a case management system, and compiling all pertinent emails, letters, documentation, and etc., into a case file once it was closed. Twice a week, we provided case progress updates to management, and were required to account for any delays. Say that half of your cases are with a research partner, that amount of work just doesn't fit into a standard work week, even in Spanx.

Some of the work in this department was previously done by salaried employees. We were cheaper, so it was – more... transferred to us, just with more frequent auditing.

Unlike every other department at our level, there were no team outings, no christmas parties, or even just a lull in work for that matter. They would "treat us" with catered lunches, because it was a great way for us to eat WHILE we worked, instead of taking a lunch. There was no option to work from home.

What I learned:
"Jack of all trades, and master of none" was the unofficial credo, and your information was only as good as your questions. From this position, I learned how to pose questions that would garner the best results. I also learned to never take the first answer at face value.

Management:
Week after week, month after month, management assured that the overworked state of our department wasn't the new "norm". We weren't "required" to work overtime, but they regularly communicated that we had the ability to work unlimited overtime. Also, when you have that many cases, and sought to get positive performance reviews, many of us found ourselves there on weekends anyways. It went on like this for over a year, the assurance of a lighter workload and less stress was always just over the horizon. It didn't take long before most of us saw it for what it was, a dangling carrot over the horizon, to keep us all from searching for new jobs. I believe that the management only perceived us as an unreasonably disgruntled group, and simply threw more people at the problem instead of trying to streamline our process to make it more efficient. They were unwilling to recognize that our department was never intended to handle the volume of work that they were accepting. Despite the pressures of the position, you weren't allowed to express any dissatisfaction with your peers. Our management even made us sign an agreement to that effect. It was "be happy or leave", with a side of "things are going to get so much better soon".

Co-Workers:
My peers were great people, I can't say that enough. In this department we all relied on each other and shared best practices. We were all in the same (half-sunken) boat.

Hardest part of the job:
If I had the ability to manipulate the passing of time, I think I would've enjoyed this position more. Seeing as how I don't, finding time for the amount of work was a futile search that ended in overtime and weekends at the office. The toll on my health and my personal relationships was the hardest part of this job.

Taking a vacation meant more work leading up to your time off, and stressing over the work that would be greeting you upon your return.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
My coworkers were the sole redeeming quality of this position. – less
Excellent Benefits
Principal Compliance Advisor (Current Employee), Plano, TexasMay 3, 2015
Pros: benefits and amenities
Cons: work life balance
Learned a lot about Compliance and Capital One made it possible for me to earn some certifications. They do invest in training
Producted Work Place
Teller (Former Employee), Pineville, LAMay 2, 2015
Pros: incentives and free lunches
Cons: All customers including commerical came to my line. There wasn't a commerical teller
Typical day of work was exciting, I learned many skills. I worked well with management. and tried to meet all goal implemented. Co worker were nice and inviting. The hardest part of the job was PPG violation which lead to my termination. I made 35 overages and outages during my short experience.
Great Company!
Human Resources, associate relations (Current Employee), Wilmington, DEMay 1, 2015
Capital One is a great company to work! Capital One's leadership is very result focused and maintains a culture of "doing the right thing" for customers and employees.
Got good work exposure
QA, Reviewer and Tester (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 1, 2015
Good place to work. Got the opportunity to learn new technical skills. Working on different domains. Got to interact with clients to learn about the business in detail.
A learning experience
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMay 1, 2015
Pros: Free 5k races
Cons: Movement of main office
Full of timelines and adjustments. The banking industry is full of ups and downs. Management dealt well changes of the economy. Those I worked with came from varied backgrounds. Meshing with the changing financial times. Helping people find their "American Dream".
Supportive Management, Happy Workers, Amazing Job
Senior Advocacy Coordinator (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 30, 2015
The culture at Capital One is amazing. Every manager I have come in contact with has an open door policy. All levels of management are supportive, they stay in constant communication with all employees.I love working for Capital One because they are constantly looking for ways to improve by requesting feedback from not only our customers but from all employees.
Exiciting place to work
AVP/ABM (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: No growth opportunities in New York area
I loved meeting new people daily. The people I worked with were awesome and worked so well together always helping one another to give our customers the best experience. The company didn't have many back office opportunities here in New York.
Hourly Pay
Teller (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 28, 2015
A typical day at Capital One is a fairly good day, You're just not properly compensated of the work that is required of you. The benefits are great, management could use a lot of improvement as well
Great benefits, limited room for advancement
Teller (Former Employee), Tyler, TXApril 28, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: a lot of beuracracy in management
Benefits were great, work environment was great. Advancement opportunities were limited and they would often hire people from the outside instead of promoting qualified employees.
Great work environment
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Rolling MeadowsApril 28, 2015
Pros: Friendly, comfortable environment
Cons: Temporary hires did not have full advantage of permanent position over outsiders
Working here on a temporary assignment was an awesome experience. The atmosphere in the office was very friendly. Training was very detailed and helpful.If given the opportunity again I would work here again,

About Capital One

Capital One Financial Corporation, incorporated in July 21, 1994, is a diversified banking company focused primarily on consumer – Read more