Capitol Region Education Council Employee Reviews

Social Justice is the priortiy
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 26, 2017
I work as a teacher to educate students regardless of race. I was dumbfounded to be told in no uncertain terms by the director himself, in a staff meeting, that we work at CREC for social justice. Social justice is the highest priority. Teaching is secondary to social justice.
The pay is excellent with excellent benefits. However, you had better be prepared to work with folks with no tolerance to any deviation from the social justice theme. There is no place for someone who may even mildly object to the philosophy. You will be ostracized and bullied, talked about, and set up for failure. There are a lot of feminist bullies and the people in power are ruthless. Reverse gender and race biased will be experienced.
Interesting Workplace
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 13, 2017
This was an interesting job where I turned a general "Executive Assistant" position into much more. I was able to work on projects large and small; no project is turned down and viewed as a learning experience.
Excellent work environmnet with growth potential
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 4, 2017
I had great opportunities to work on meaningful projects that were focused on making a difference in the Greater Hartford Community and beyond. I learned what my strengths were and worked to develop them as I served the community ranging from youth to seniors, Overall, I found my human service voice while at CREC.
Productive workplace
ABA Therapist/Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 27, 2017
• Assist in implementation of primary curriculum by providing individual and group instruction to students. • Assist in managing mild and severe behaviors by employing techniques such as systems of rewards and behavior checklist. • Assist in data collection and maintain documentation of academic and behavioral progress. • Assist student in self-contained and inclusive setting using classroom shadowing, prompting, and prompt fading.
Pros
Great Team environment
Cons
Short breaks
Fun workplace, after hours and functions
Receptionist/Customer Service Support (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 26, 2017
One of the most enjoyable part of my job is, knowing that my students are okay and ready to learn for the day..
Most of administration teams are exciting, and fun to work with.
Pros
Awesome staff, very nice place to work
Cons
everything peechy
productive and fun workplace
Bus counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 28, 2017
typical day at work was if a student was having a rough time in school or home then me as the bus montior would have to deal with his or her behavior problem but once i develop a relationship and behavior plan with students its much easier to control and help them get through a rough moment..management was great ...hardest part was not having a set route after a while to have more hours so it made it hard to build a relationship with students cause they were different students from day to day
Crec
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTMarch 4, 2017
It's different! Work hours are great! You are compensated for many extra opportunities outside of teaching job. This is not done in many places, especially in the charter school arena.
Wonderful experience here.
PreK-12 Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 27, 2016
Excellent leadership, continuous opportunities for professional learning; outstanding and accomplished colleagues; dedicated educators committed to excellence for all in education.
Pros
Outstanding mission, vision, and dedicated to projects and service that furthers the values and beliefs of that vision/mission.
Cons
none at this time.
Dedicate workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 14, 2016
CREC has some of the best community engagement I have seen in a while. They truly mean and live by their mission. Love working there and being part of the bigger picture.
Pros
Community work at its best
Great Culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 6, 2016
The organizational culture is very flexible. Promotion from within is encouraged. The organization is large and there are many opportunities for staff to advance.
Engaging and friendly environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 1, 2016
Provided clerical support to an individual manager, division, school or program. Helped assist with other duties assigned.
River Street School Autism Program at Coltsville (CREC)
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 29, 2015
I worked as an Associate Instructor for RSS @ Coltsville. It was a wonderful school with great structure and stability. They gave me the training I needed to be successful as an ABA instructor. The benefits are great and the work environment is wonderful. They pay pretty well to start off with and we got a yearly raise. They offered plenty of sick, vacation and personal time off, although there were no actual calendar vacations for staff. No matter what, at RSS you know you will always be able to get the support you need. The only reason I left was because of my commute. I wish I could pick up RSS and move it closer to home! It was a great place to work and I miss it!
Pros
Great staff and upper management, good pay, great benefits, plenty of PTO days
Cons
snow day schedules are confusing- we had to come in when no kids were present or use pto
CREC is an educational organizaton that really focuses on students' education in all areas, in particular, adult education as well as K-12
ESLTeacher (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 24, 2015
A normal/typical class includes a welcoming, attendance call, students reviewing the lesson plan for the day, and reviewing the previous day's lesson. This gives me the opportunity to know what I need to re-focus or repeat, and ultimately drives the lesson plan for the next day/week. Management of the classroom setting is extremely important for the learning process, the necessity for quiet and attention and to demonstrate mutual respect between each student and the teacher. This creates a positive educational climate that lends itself to ascertaining the presented material so that the students grow and become knowledgeable. In the past, I have co-taught and it was a rewarding experience being able to share ideas and teaching methods with another teacher. The most difficult part of teaching is keeping the students engaged and making the classroom atmosphere conducive to learning. Of course, the most enjoyable part is witnessing the students' achievements and seeing their joy at graduation.
Pros
Meeting new students each semester and the feeling of accomplishment for both teacher and students.
Cons
Never enough time to cover all of the material in a semester.
Best Place I have ever worked.
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 14, 2014
I also worked for CREC in the school system for 7 years doing Network Administration. In these schools I was installing as well as configuring servers,laptops,wired/wireless infrastructure and Audio/Video equipment in some of the most technically advanced schools in the country at the time they were being built between 2001-2008. Great people and great working environment.
Pros
Great people and great environment
Cons
cant really think of any
Great Place to Work
Associate Instructor (The Museum Magnet Academy) (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 4, 2012
They have a strong belief in education. They are proactive and they put children first.
Pros
the welfare of the children comes first
Cons
pay is too low
A job that challenges you everyday
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 18, 2012
The management was great and most of the staff I worked with was unbelievable because they were just as hard working and dedicated to the students. The hardest part of the job was the unexpected behavioral challenges that came about with the students and having different opinions on how to best solve the issues among staff therefore consistency and communication were issues. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing these student reach new levels after trying for so long to do so. The feeling was so rewarding knowing you had some part in that.
Exciting and fun place to work
Bookkeeper/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 10, 2012
This was the ideal company to work for. The employees and the owners had a personal work relationship.
Crec
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTApril 30, 2012
Long Hours

Challenging students from various demographics

Good Pay

Room to move within organization
Pros
optimal salary