Reports to: Director of Nursing
Supervises: Registered/Licensed Nursing Staff & Nursing Assistants
The primary purpose of the supervisor is to monitor the day to day activities of the assigned nursing staff.
The supervisor is responsible for the coordination, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing services provided to each patient on the shift assigned including patient education.
Education: A current unencumbered licensure in the state of MN as a Registered Nurse.
Experience: Registered Nurse with previous charge nurse/supervisory experience, knowledgeable in acute care along with an understanding of LTC regulations and guidelines.
Other Skills and Abilities Required:
- Good problem solver with abilities to make independent judgments utilizing initiative discretion, and the nursing process as needed.
- Demonstrates leadership ability. 3-5 years RN experience.
- Effective communicator with staff, families, and outside agencies.
- Ability to time manage and prioritize duties.
- Customer service oriented with knowledge of successful customer service techniques.
- Ability to complete assigned duties within a constantly changing environment.
- Must possess good supervisory skills and effective management skills.
- Clinical competence to utilize the nursing process to perform physical and cognitive assessments of patients.
A. Nursing Care Functions
- Directs and oversees the nursing staff to ensure the nursing procedures, patient teaching and documentation are followed and reflect the current policies and procedures of the facility.
- Monitor medication passes and treatments to assure that medications and treatments are being administered as ordered.
- Auditing of patient chart/e-chart for timely completion and accuracy
- Perform direct care related activities as the need arises
- Participate in the development of nursing policies and procedures pertaining to patient care and teaching.
- Perform daily rounds of the nursing unit to ensure that all nursing services personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- Assist in developing methods for coordinating nursing services with other disciplines to assure that continuity of patient care is maintained.
- Participate in the development, maintenance and implementation of facility CQI/QA program.
- Complete and investigate accident/incident reports and assist with abuse/neglect reporting to specific agencies as listed.
- Acts as a liaison between physician, patient, family and patient care team to ensure physician orders are accurately carried out and documented using the information in the patient care plan.
- Attends management meetings as requested.
- Initiate and resolve follow-up and problem charting as needed.
- Participate in care conferences as needed.
B. Care Plan and Assessment Function:
- Review new admission and transfers for appropriate assessment and documentation
- Assure completion of necessary assessments for the RAI process
- Participation in the development and ongoing review of the written care plan for each patient for the appropriate patient goals, problems, approaches, and revisions based on nursing needs
- Assist in the monitoring and assessment of seriously ill patients as needed.
- Review IDT nurses notes, NAR care sheets to ensure compliance with the patient plan of care
- Complete and/or participate in the MDS/RAI process as determined by facility policy. Review for accuracy and timeliness per Federal Requirements.
- Direct communication with the MDS/PPS coordinator and/or Medicare Nurse
C. Committee Functions
- Serve on, participate in and attend various committees and meetings of the facility to which you are assigned
D. Personnel Function
- Assist with the coordination of staffing patterns and productive nursing hours as delegated by the Director of Nursing.
- Responsible for holding staff accountable for correctly following policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and nursing job descriptions.
- Assists and gives input for employee evaluations in timely manner as delegated by DON
- On-call as delegated by the Director of Nursing.
E. Environment, Safety, and Sanitation
- Follow up on all accident and incident reports and give to DON within facility time protocol.
- Observes staff for proper safety techniques and infection control policies and procedures.
- Ensure the environment on the nursing unit is clean, safe, clutter free and homelike.
F. Physical Requirement
- Ability to endure prolonged walking, sitting, standing, use of pulling, bending, and stooping movements
- Ability to adapt to changes in daily work routine, hours, and schedule.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Other Duties as Assigned