CAPTEL

CAPTEL Employer Reviews

Relaxed work environemnt
Captioning Asst (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WisconsinSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: flexible, rewards us for job well done
Cons: pay
My current job doesn't require much of us and can get pretty repetitive after a while. It doesn't require much activity. I've learned the importance of being on time and coming to work everyday.
Caption Specialist
CAPTION SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2014
The long fast talking calls. Some calls last up to 2 hours sometimes more and it really tires you out.
A joke
Caption asst (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great location if you're near ucf
Cons: everything else
Don't get me wrong, the entire baseline of the companies' work is a great tool. But you have to be a really....REALLY good fit for this job. Notice how the pay says UP TO $10/hr? Yeah... It's like 9.25 an hour and $10 if you work weekends or holidays which is double. That is stupid. You really need to be able to train yourself to monotone everything – more... you verbalize. Plus using the screen to input what doesn't pick up and correct any errors. And God forbid you get sick with a cold or sore throat, kiss your job goodbye. I got sick my first week --from my trainer!! I lost my voice and couldn't talk and sounded awful. It screwed me over royally. And because of that... Something out of my control and basically getting sick from the person training us, I did have to kiss my job goodbye. Because they didn't care. I brought it up to her and she literally shrugged her shoulders at me like, oh well not my problem. Not worth your time..... – less
Kind of boring if your thinking of staying long term
Call Center- Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 14, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: pay
Sit in a cubicle captioning phone calls (listen to old people talk and repeat what they say).
Don't get paid what you deserve at all.
productive and quiet workplace
captioning assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 28, 2014
Pros: not difficult at all, laid back, no specific uniform
Cons: short breaks, advancement opportunities could be better
-most enjoyable part of the job is independency
-your expected to be at your work station doing your job everyday, without being told
-random monitors are taken each day to ensure competency
-quiet work environment
-easy to read and do research or homework
Decent pay and good benefits but...
Captioning Assistant, I (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 19, 2014
Pros: easy hire, ~$10/hr guaranteed base wage, benefits, lax dress code.
Cons: uninteresting, little human element, gets very old very fast.
CapTel is a great opportunity for college students to make a good amount of money to live on their own and go to school--but that's it. As a recent graduate I find the job unsatisfying and endlessly repetitive, with hardly any relief other than breaks. The job is, by it's nature, anti-social, and requires little to no skill.

A typical day will have – more... you waiting on calls to caption for 2 hours at a time until the end of your shift. Calls can range from family members checking in on each other to hour-long conference calls with multiple speakers (very stressful).

The position itself is unique and I did have to learn about the voice recognition software and how to "re-voice" properly and clearly so that the software can pick up my voice.

Relations with management is minimal, and attendance/adherence policies are robotic at best. The level of human interaction is little, which makes a full-time position there as a lowly CA (entry level position) boring and un-engaging.

As a TRS position, co-workers tend to come and go, and maintaining relationships with any of them can prove fruitless within a month or two.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with holidays like Mothers day, where everyone is calling their mother and grand mother on the same day, causing a large volume of incoming calls for CAs to handle.

The best part of this job, however, is working during low-volume hours where an ample amount of downtime can be used to read books or catch up on other projects while waiting on calls. – less
I learned how to fundraise
political Fundraiser (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: structure
I was responsible for contacting members throughout the country that belonged to various political action committees. I learned what it takes to raise funds at the National level.
Boring
Captioning assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2014
Pros: scheduling, easiness, work environment
Cons: pay for parking downtown ($3 daily), boring
I word at Captel from May 2013 to March 2014. Great Supervisors that offer help. VERY FLEXIBLE schedule, perfect if you have another job or if you are a student. You can take off anytime really as long as you give 24 hour notice. You can leave early most of the time. Its a great job but...... BORING.
Excellent management staff and good work experience
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 29, 2014
Captioning telephone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing, flexable hours and a friendly work environment.
Pleasant work and job environment.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 20, 2014
Overall, a positive experience. Staff was pleasant, job was rewarding .
easy going place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 1, 2014
Great working environment, friendly atmosphere, advancement opportunities. The pay is really good for the amount of work being done and you can get 2 raises a year!!!
Looking to find somewhere closer
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 18, 2013
Pros: holiday pay separate from pto, double pay on worked holidays, flexible schedule
Cons: very strict adherence policy
While my overall job experience with CapTel has been satisfactory, I am looking for someplace that is a little closer to home as the commute to and from Milwaukee is getting to be a little more difficult than it has in the past. I have greatly enjoyed my time with my coworkers and the service I provide makes a difference in people's lives.
Very laid back, easy to manage.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 24, 2013
Pros: double-time holiday pay, no-reason policy when calling in, convenient shift availabilities, ability to leave early, paid time off, 401k plans, easy work for decent pay, no dress code
Cons: low advancement opportunities, point-based system, pricey healthcare
I enjoyed this job because it was fun to me. I captioned telephone calls for the hearing impaired and I liked doing so because I was helping people. The atmosphere was laid back and casual, there was no dress code as long as you were not wearing anything offensive/inappropriate. Supervisors were often very nice and easy to talk to, ask questions, helpful, – more... etc. Co-workers were equally the same; generally a very interesting bunch of people worked here. I learned about working on a team, and even random facts through clients. The only time the job was difficult was when you were stuck on calls such as conferences where multiple people were talking, someone who was difficult to caption when they spoke or stayed on the phone for a long period of time.

My only complaint about the company is that they don't give you the feel that they genuinely care about you as an employee. They make it seem like you're easily replaced, and their strict point-based system made it harder to have someone be understanding/work with you when you were in a rough spot. – less
Horrible place!
Captioning Assistant/CA Supervisor (Former Employee), Madison, WINovember 5, 2013
Cons: everything!
CapTel is a great stepping stone for any college student who needs to pay their bills, but other then that, it's AWFUL! I have never worked some where that has more drama than this place! The upper management is extremely inconsistent, and you can't trust anyone!
Very enjoyable place to work with good benefits and excellent training.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 19, 2013
Pros: a lot of extra time to get homework done.
Cons: attendance policy.
A typical work day would start of type of slow seeing that I worked morning shifts, which I really enjoyed. Employees sign into a cubical when you first punch in. You take calls for about 2 hours until the first 15 minute break. After the first break, time starts to fly past! You become very energized and get ready for whatever type of calls come your – more... way. The most enjoyable part of the job is early morning when its slow, I got a lot of homework done! I really enjoyed my co-workers, they were very enthusiastic. The management was a pleasure to work with because they worked with you and helped in every way possible. I would say the hardest part of the job for me was keeping up with the attendance points system the company had. When you accrue a certain amount of attendance points its becomes automatic termination. – less
Great Pay, not so good on hours
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Madison, WISeptember 26, 2013
Pros: $9.50/hr weak days $10.00/hr weekends
Cons: short break, only received 22 hours a paycheck (wanted full time)
CapTels work environment was very quiet peaceful. They offer paid holidays off and if you chose to work on a holiday you received double pay. I learned so much about working with clients with disability. I learned and mastered the computer voicing program called Dragon. My co-workers were really friendly. There was no hard part to this job. The most – more... enjoyable part of working as a Captioning Assistant is that at the end of the day I know that I helped a number of clients with hearing disability gain independence with being able to use a telephone by themselves again. They did not offer a lot of hours but insisted in hiring more employees. – less
Productive, caring, helpful
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 24, 2013
Pros: casual dress
Cons: short breaks, sometimes long intervals between calls
I have learned to listen with a very careful ear. All of the management I have met to date and all of the co-workers are caring individuals who feel like I do in that I believe I am giving back by helping other who are not as fortunate and have hearing disabilities.

The hardest part of the job is listening very carefully to revoice conversations verbatim.

The – more... most enjoyable part of the job is helping others. – less
Phone Center
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2013
Employees have cubicles. A typical day is spent at the phone using voice recognition software to caption phone calls for the hard of hearing. The employer offers food on busy days. There are advancement opportunities to become a coach or supervisor. We get frequent breaks.
Diverse workplace with a positive impact in the community
Call Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 20, 2013
Communication is very open here with some room for initial advancement. Friendly work environment with flexible time off. The only downside is the compensation package.
Busy call center
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 27, 2013
Pros: training provided.
Repeat phone calls using Dragon voice recognition technology.

Listening, and speaking clearly skills needed.