CapTel Employee Reviews in United States

Constant criticism
Caption Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 16, 2016
The only plus is that for independent work thrivers, this is good while you are being left alone by admin, however,
the job includes constant unrelenting analysis and criticism,
which a $10 job does not warrant.
If they really want perfection, they need better software and to recognize that many of the mistakes are not the fault of the captionist but rather the software and hardware environment.
Pros
working independently at times
Cons
captionists are treated like children in daycare
Flexible employment opportunity, but employees are treated as robots.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 20, 2016
CapTel is a good fit for busy college students who need flexible scheduling. You can work as much or as little as you need to and be successful in this company. The job functions are pretty simple and it's easy to be good at your job. However, don't expect an exciting work experience at all. In fact, the entire job experience is pretty robotic in nature.
Great learning experience
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 16, 2016
A typical day of work is captioning calls for the hard of hearing using both typing and talking skills in a fast pace environment.
I learned my strengths and weaknesses around a computer and improving them as well.
Pros
New Experience
Cons
Short Breaks
Good starter job for office worker
Captioning Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53719June 3, 2016
Good starter job for office worker and good resume builder but limited long-term opportunities. UIpper management tends to micro-manage everything, even routine tasks which gives an appearance of lack of trust in employees.
Telemarketing at its best
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Thermopolis, WY 82443May 28, 2016
Calling members of the RNC to get donations to the party. Usually calling 30-40 members per hour. To much drama in a small town atmosphere with the women co-workers.
Quiet and strict place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 28, 2016
Typical work day is sitting in a cubical for the entirety of your shift re-voicing telephone calls, scanning and correcting mistakes. All breaks are scheduled for you each day, and they have a strong adherence to schedule policy.
Staff is friendly, but quiet.
Captel Inc
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2016
Captel was a great job! Don't get me wrong guys but, I however did not like it after being there for a year I learned that I am more a front line customer service person. even though at captel you technically are helping people that is just not the job for ME! It is a cubical job you don't move unless you have a break, lunch etc. Not my cup of tea but if this sounds like you then you should definitely apply !
Pros
convienent, flexible hours, flexible time off
Cons
desk work, no real interaction with others
Captellian
Captioning assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2016
At first this job seemed great! Paid training! All you need to know how to do is talk and hear! A measly 35 types words per minute is nothing!

It was great at first I really liked it. But then I got sick and it's hard to talk all day with a constant couch. You can only call in 2 times at first until you reach 6 months, then it boosts up to 3 before action. So you are screwed and need to oull your half dead body into work or you will be fired. Got through that.

But then you get written up for anything and everything. It's stupid. You have supervisors spying on you all day treating you like a child. If you have one bad call you are screwed and monitored all day it's like they wait for a bad call purposely.

Micromanaging is horrible here
Pros
PTO
Cons
Micromanaging, being watched, in trouble for anything, point system
professional fun workplace
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 10, 2016
I would come in to work, go to my locker, get my equipment for the day, and start work. I learned how important my job was to the hearing impaired and how much they appreciated this system of communication. Mangers were nice, fun to have and a pleasure to see everyday. I worked around professional people who came to do their work, and were willing to give advice on how to make the job easier. Hardest part of the job was understanding faster and more difficult to hear phone conversations. I did enjoy incentives like longer breaks, and extra time off calls when you have been captioning good calls.
Pros
convenient scheduling
Cons
there could be some difficult calls
A Revolving Door
CA (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 29, 2016
This company preys on college students. You are completely disposable. Most of the good reviews are posted by people who have worked at Captel for less than 6 months for a reason. After a few months you will experience the phenomenon I call ( CA Droning) everything about this place will drive you mad. The stained grey walls, incessant robotic voices, creepy fake sup smiles, rotten break room fruit, filthy restrooms, ridiculous write ups, faulty clocks, and melancholic senior citizens! The benefits are terrible and good luck sticking it out to become eligible for anything. In a nutshell, unless you're life long dream is to become a passive aggressive and miserable supervisor don't stay too long. This job doesn't require much but being able to sit still and talk to a computer screen. You will get hired. They hire everyone. Eventually, you will quit and find better employment.This company needs to drastically improve managment and culture.
Pros
Make Schedule, Close To UCF, Promotes Within, Over Time, Coupons, Big Breakroom
Cons
Micromanaged, HR Department, Under Staffed, Hard To Get Time Off, Benefits, Parking
Quiet workplace with little coworker interaction.
CAPTIONING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53203April 16, 2016
A typical day sees you in a cubicle for the duration of of your scheduled shift, with 2 15 minute breaks and 1 unpaid 30 minute lunch, with a daily performance monitor given at a random point in your day with no warning.
Pros
On site shop for lunch and snacks
Cons
Equipment frequently malfunctions in one way or another
I like it
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 7, 2016
Pretty simple job, mostly student environment. Pretty flexible scheduling. Management really approachable. the most enjoyable part of the job is when you get a funny call.
Laid back environment, flexible work schedule
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 18, 2016
The good thing about this job is that it provides a flexible work schedule. The scheduling department schedules you based on YOUR availability. The call center is open 24/7 so you can pick whatever fits your needs. Also, the company allows you to leave early however often you'd like as long as their staffing needs are met. The flexible work schedule is definitely the best thing about this job. BUT it is less flexible when the center is low-staffed.
The health insurance is very expensive for those with families (high premium, high deductible, and is taken out of every check).
The wage is kind of low but the job is easy- supervisors do not make much more than the captioning assistants.
Worst thing about the job is the management- the supervisors and such are all very nice but this job has a weak structure. Rules change often and they mostly change for the worst. This is what makes the job stressful. Punching in and out is highly monitored, lunches are monitored, time working is monitored, time not working is monitored, EVERYTHING is monitored. Feels like big brother.
Cons
Micromanagement
easy job
Captioning Assistant/Training Coach (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Can get boring. Good job if you dont like to talk to people much and interact. Very easy job, schedule is good except that you have to work a saturday or a sunday.
Pros
easy job. same thing everyday
Cons
short breaks/ lunches
I did not enjoy this job at all
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 8, 2016
You sit in a cube all day without any human interaction. Great job for some people, but definitely not my thing.

Paid training was a plus and very flexible scheduling and call in policy.
easy but lack interest
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2016
very strict attendance policy
no customer interactions which made it very boring
extremely easy work load but again boring, hard to stay interested
Stressful, non-communitive
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 17, 2016
An extremely stressful work enviorment, management not kind, doesnt treat employees with respect, when position is terminated, treat ex employee like criminal
great work space, great concept
captioning assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 25, 2015
The job was fairly easy, I would often do overtime. The hardest part of the job was revoicing accurately and efficiently every phone call. The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing the calls, and the amount of hours you could pick up.
Decent Place to Work
CAPTIONING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 19, 2015
If you're not a customer service type of person, this would be the perfect job for you. The work is redundant but you make your own schedule, which is good. The attendance/adherence policy is a little strict but manageable.
Captel Specialist Interviewing Process
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaSeptember 17, 2015
I had an interview at 9am. They tell you to arrive 10 minutes early but I got lost & was at the wrong building. Eventually I found it and arrived at 9:05am. I was told that because I was late I had to reschedule. No sympathy that I was lost. Which rubbed me the wrong way but Sierra decided to see me anyways. I had so many test to take that I started to walk out of the office. 1st she told me about the position. Talking into a headset & it types the conversation on the screen. Which is $9.75 hourly 4 week training schedule 9am-3pm or 4pm-10pm must work weekends at $10.00 hourly. I read a script, typing test by listening not reading 35wpm, spelling test, hearing test & speech test. Ugh! You must pass 2 test. I felt like that was too much for only $9.75 hourly. She docked me for every little thing. I was not interested in working for a company like that. This job is great for college students!
Pros
Flexible schedule, benefits
Cons
The hourly pay, interview process & Human Resources Department