CapTel

CapTel Employer Reviews

Communications
Captions' Assistant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2014
Would not recommend this job
good hours
but not a flexible life with hours
no compassion for employees
Sitting, sitting, and more sitting
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 11, 2014
Pros: easy job
Cons: boring
At first, it was a very easy job. But there was no social aspect to get to know coworkers. It consisted of sitting in a cube, listening to peoples conversations, and repeating them all day. It became very sedentary and i developed some back and leg issues from sitting.
Worked well with school schedule
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WISeptember 15, 2014
On a typical day, we would take calls from clients who needed assistance making phone calls either because they were deaf, hard of hearing or speech disabled. You had a set schedule for work and could easily get time off if requested and had benefit time to cover.

A very repetitive job
A different experience
CAPTIONING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), milwaukee, wisconsinSeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at Captel consisted of being in a cubicle and captioning calls for deaf or hard of hearing clients. There was very little interaction between co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was finding joy or happiness while working there. The most enjoyable part was knowing that our company was providing ways for disabled clients – more... to communicate with their families and friends. – less
Relaxed work environemnt
Captioning Asst (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WisconsinSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: flexible, rewards us for job well done
Cons: pay
My current job doesn't require much of us and can get pretty repetitive after a while. It doesn't require much activity. I've learned the importance of being on time and coming to work everyday.
Caption Specialist
CAPTION SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2014
The long fast talking calls. Some calls last up to 2 hours sometimes more and it really tires you out.
Quiet environment w/flexible hours. Ideal for students.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 1, 2014
Pros: often have downtime to read or do homework
Cons: short breaks, can be monotonous
The paid training is interesting, fun, but somewhat difficult. When the instructors feel you're prepared for the job, you'll move out of training. The hours are very flexible and a lot of the supervisors are a
more than willing to offer advice or answer questions. Some days may be busier than others, but between calls you're allowed to do homework, – more... read; pretty much anything that won't disturb the environment or distract you from a call. The job is pretty enjoyable, especially if you look forward to downtime and enjoy having room for advancement. – less
Captel is an "decent" place to work it depends on your work preference
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunities, lea (option), scheduling, co-workers
Cons: micromanaging, hard to stay awake, low compensation for starting positions
A typical day at work can be very busy or very very slow it all depends on the clients.
Some of the management/supervisors are nice some of them can be rude; but overall for the most part they're nice and respectful.
Co-workers are great!
The hardest part of this job is STAYING AWAKE. When handling calls supervisors don't want magazines or books open,or – more... things in your hands. You get written up for small things so it feels very petty and they walk around so you sort of feel micromanaged.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexible schedule and the leave early option that Captel allows you to use; it really comes in handy. – less
A joke
Caption asst (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great location if you're near ucf
Cons: everything else
Don't get me wrong, the entire baseline of the companies' work is a great tool. But you have to be a really....REALLY good fit for this job. Notice how the pay says UP TO $10/hr? Yeah... It's like 9.25 an hour and $10 if you work weekends or holidays which is double. That is stupid. You really need to be able to train yourself to monotone everything – more... you verbalize. Plus using the screen to input what doesn't pick up and correct any errors. And God forbid you get sick with a cold or sore throat, kiss your job goodbye. I got sick my first week --from my trainer!! I lost my voice and couldn't talk and sounded awful. It screwed me over royally. And because of that... Something out of my control and basically getting sick from the person training us, I did have to kiss my job goodbye. Because they didn't care. I brought it up to her and she literally shrugged her shoulders at me like, oh well not my problem. Not worth your time..... – less
Kind of boring if your thinking of staying long term
Call Center- Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 14, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: pay
Sit in a cubicle captioning phone calls (listen to old people talk and repeat what they say).
Don't get paid what you deserve at all.
Steady Job
Captioning Coach & Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 8, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: repetitive work
Not a bad job at all, hours are very flexible and the management is very friendly.
productive and quiet workplace
captioning assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 28, 2014
Pros: not difficult at all, laid back, no specific uniform
Cons: short breaks, advancement opportunities could be better
-most enjoyable part of the job is independency
-your expected to be at your work station doing your job everyday, without being told
-random monitors are taken each day to ensure competency
-quiet work environment
-easy to read and do research or homework
Decent pay and good benefits but...
Captioning Assistant, I (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 19, 2014
Pros: easy hire, ~$10/hr guaranteed base wage, benefits, lax dress code.
Cons: uninteresting, little human element, gets very old very fast.
CapTel is a great opportunity for college students to make a good amount of money to live on their own and go to school--but that's it. As a recent graduate I find the job unsatisfying and endlessly repetitive, with hardly any relief other than breaks. The job is, by it's nature, anti-social, and requires little to no skill.

A typical day will have – more... you waiting on calls to caption for 2 hours at a time until the end of your shift. Calls can range from family members checking in on each other to hour-long conference calls with multiple speakers (very stressful).

The position itself is unique and I did have to learn about the voice recognition software and how to "re-voice" properly and clearly so that the software can pick up my voice.

Relations with management is minimal, and attendance/adherence policies are robotic at best. The level of human interaction is little, which makes a full-time position there as a lowly CA (entry level position) boring and un-engaging.

As a TRS position, co-workers tend to come and go, and maintaining relationships with any of them can prove fruitless within a month or two.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with holidays like Mothers day, where everyone is calling their mother and grand mother on the same day, causing a large volume of incoming calls for CAs to handle.

The best part of this job, however, is working during low-volume hours where an ample amount of downtime can be used to read books or catch up on other projects while waiting on calls. – less
great place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: can be too cold or stuffy at times.
It is a really nice company to work for helpful supervisors and opportunites to advance.
I learned how to fundraise
political Fundraiser (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: structure
I was responsible for contacting members throughout the country that belonged to various political action committees. I learned what it takes to raise funds at the National level.
Boring
Captioning assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2014
Pros: scheduling, easiness, work environment
Cons: pay for parking downtown ($3 daily), boring
I word at Captel from May 2013 to March 2014. Great Supervisors that offer help. VERY FLEXIBLE schedule, perfect if you have another job or if you are a student. You can take off anytime really as long as you give 24 hour notice. You can leave early most of the time. Its a great job but...... BORING.
Excellent management staff and good work experience
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 29, 2014
Captioning telephone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing, flexable hours and a friendly work environment.
Laid-back and easy job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 26, 2014
Pros: very organized system, good starting pay rate
Cons: the job itself was repetitive, rarely able to trade or pick up extra hours
A typical day involved sitting in front of a computer screen with a headset on listening and captioning phone calls. By captioning I mean repeating everything you heard into a computer program that then turned your words into text on the screen. If a word showed up wrong or a word was said that you were unsure about you then had to insert or type and/or – more... correct the word. Some phone calls were more interesting than others and that made the day go by faster sometimes. Depending on how long your shift is you get one or two 15 minute breaks and/or a lunch. Definitely a job based on your ability to multi-task. Like every job some managers are cool understanding and some are meticulous and overbearing. Its an easy job but easy can sometimes equate to boring at captel. – less
New Experience
CAPTION ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Milwaukee WIMarch 25, 2014
This job was a new experience. The culture is a wide cross section and the work interesting and rewarding
Pleasant work and job environment.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 20, 2014
Overall, a positive experience. Staff was pleasant, job was rewarding .

1 2 3 4

About CapTel

CapTel is one of the leading nationwide providers of captioning support for people with hearing loss. CapTel allows individuals – Read more