CapTel Employee Reviews

Soul Staus: Crushed
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 18, 2017
I hope you like beige, because you're going to be seeing a lot of it. Definitely the most soul-crushing job I have ever had. Would not recommend unless you are desperate.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
See title
productive work place
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed working here, I would definetely go back. great cafeteria, theres a smoke area right outside of the exit. and two 15 minute breaks including a 30 minute lunch.
Pros
good pay and relaxed environment
Cons
gets pretty slow at times
Good progressive company
CAPTIONING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orlando flJuly 3, 2017
I loved working there and the goal we had to bring each and every phone call . Progression in the comany was easy and the coworkers and supervisors were great .
Pros
Easy position and progress
Cons
Everything based off computer system
Workplace
Captioned Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 30, 2017
The job is a bit boring at times but good pay you don't do much but caption calls. You get paid vacation if you work full time and your 15 minute breaks are paid.
cool place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 18, 2017
Easy and flexible the call floor is a bit to cold but over all its a good place to work has benefits available and very flexible scheduling and opportunity for promotions
Terrible
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 16, 2017
Captel doesn't care about their employees. You are robots, you have to stick to a schedule without any excuses. If you're sick easy or often don't work here. If you can sit and do nothing for twelve hours a day this is the perfect job for you.
Pros
Cons
Management doesn't care about you
Very quiet place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 15, 2017
It is a very simple job, log in, caption calls, get paid. Supervisors are typically nice and very easy to talk to/work with. Only downfall is lack of communication with people if you are a people person.
Its great
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 14, 2017
Its a great place to work offer a good environment good hours vacation and 401k the people are very nice and u basically make your own schedule its really cool
Meh
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 11, 2017
Captel was a good experience, I met a few friends there. The job is rather boring and I always felt stuck in a rut. No advancement unless someone gets fired, which seemed to happen frequently. The rules kept changing from upper management who I never met and it seemed to not be communicated to the supervisors properly.
Depends on what you're looking for.
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 9, 2017
The work is boring and monotonous, and sometimes heartbreaking like when old folks talk about their friends and family who have passed away. It's also hard to be required to caption word for word some scam artist who is trying to swindle someone out of their money -- you're not allowed to interfere. CAs are scolded for things that are beyond their control, and what one supervisor will let slide another one will write you up for. You have to account for every second of your time during your shift. You must pass daily accuracy checks and monthly speed tests. If you feel you didn't do anything wrong or didn't make this or that mistake, it's your word against the supervisor's and guess who they believe. I am an older adult and have held positions of responsibility in the past, but at CapTel I get scolded like I was 12.
Pros
Lots of snacks, can take time off if you ask far enough in advance, isolated in a cubicle all day with no human interaction which for me counts as a plus, pays OK if you need a job right now immediately, easy to get hired, you can read or do crossword puzzles between calls, some supervisors are nice, but some are not.
Cons
Have to work a weekend day every week, have to pay a lot for parking, some supervisors are unfriendly and arbitrary, mind-numbing work with faulty equipment on a dirty call floor
Overwhelming or Boring depending on Shift
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 6, 2017
I was a Captioning Assistant from 2013-2014.

I worked 2nd to 3rd shift with 4/10s. 5:30pm to 4am. During the afternoon it was busy, back to back calls. Overnights got really slow, maybe taking 1 to 4 calls a night. No phones allowed, but anytime you're not on a call you can do whatever. I would often read a book every 3 days or so. Sudoku, Macrame, or playing board games with my fellow employees. Bring your own entertainment. So that was awesome that you get paid to do a lot of nothing while waiting for calls. Dress code was absent. As long as your bits are covered you're fine. I mostly wore pajamas to work.

Literally the job is listening to one side of a phone conversation, repeating (like a parrot) what they say into voice recognition software and making sure the words come out correctly on the screen for the customer. There is no interacting with customers. Very passive easy job.

You can get like a $1 raise a year if you meet your metrics. At the time I worked there, there was no cap. So if you have patience it can pay off in a couple years. but $10/$11 an hour just doesn't cut it if you're a single adult with normal bills.
Pros
Easy lazy job, consistent raises, no dress code, free time is your time.
Cons
Starting wage is low, can be really busy or boring depending on shift.
Great
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53203June 6, 2017
You go in. Log onto computer, start listening to conversations on the phones, and you type what is being said.
Schedule is almost made entirely by you. Which is nice. Every other weekend off.
Pros
Pay, hours
Cons
Breaks
It pays the bills
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 6, 2017
I have been employed at Captel of a little over a year now, it is a very professional work environment and provides a lot of benefits and opportunities to grow
Captionist
Captionist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 2, 2017
It's an alright place to work. Not a lot of stimulation. Just just sit in your cube and voice caption calls. You show up, you get paid, you go home. ..
Captioning Specialist
Captionist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 30, 2017
8 hour shift with scheduled breaks. Sitting at a desk for entire shift captioning calls for the hearing empaired. I enjoy my job but it is not for everyone
A good place to work if youre in college/have little experience
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 24, 2017
The work itself is mind numbing, so there isn't much to talk about there, but that comes with the territory in a job that is very low skill and low barriers to entry.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Very mind numbing work
World of Compromise
Political Fund Raiser (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2017
CapTel is a telephone calling center located in DC's prestigious Capital Hill section. Easy access via car or Metro. Employs part-time and full time employees to raise funds for a major political party.

I have been there for (7) years. Began as a night time smile and dial employee. Promoted to a Supervisor position over seeing operations.
Pros
Company has never missed a pay period
Cons
Unreal 10 minute breaks, no paid vacation time. No holiday bonuses.
Easy to work with schedule
SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 10, 2017
Accommodating, able to choose your own hours to work, job is generally easy, staff are nice, able to work with requested days off, generous attendance bonuses
nice laid back place and really useful for college students
CAPTION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 10, 2017
simple days at work once you know what your doing its pretty much second nature
I learned how to revoice and type at a faster rate
management was good
workplace very professional
hardest part of job was revoicing while sick
I enjoyed meeting a lot of new people and helping the hearing impaired
productive
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 29, 2017
It gets boring but time will fly. Training was smooth and overall everything was clean and well maintained. First paycheck i waited 3 weeks. The environment was good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CapTel. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval