CaptionCall Employee Reviews

Captioning Agency
Dictation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDDecember 3, 2017
This is a call center, hours are very flexible, but the job is extremely boring and employees are not allowed to do anything other than be on the phone when they are on a call, even though multi-tasking with this job is EXTREMELY doable.
Good for a 25 year old.
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 1, 2017
Sitting at a desk all day with a heads set strapping you in with over 100 calls every day and talking only to a computer.
If this is what you like - go for it.CaptionCall does not pay their employees enough for the expectations to be met, unless you still live at home and have your bills paid by parents, or someone else.
Fun Workplace, Flexible Workplace
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTNovember 24, 2017
Great for college students, they provide flexible hours, good benefits! It is pretty fast paced lately, some days are slow enough you can get homework done.
Pros
Free Ramen, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Salary
Relaxed but no opportunities to advance
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDNovember 22, 2017
Great job if you are student or have a second job that requires a lot of time and attention outside of work. NOT GOOD for those with nothing else to do. Relaxed environment, but not challenging in the slightest.
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
Redundant work
Relaxed but stressful at the same time
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. George, UTNovember 21, 2017
I personally did not like working at CaptionCall. Some people love it there, and some people don't. I am one of the people that don't. It was a very relaxed environment, but stressful at the same time, because everything had to be perfect for our customers, which I totally understand why. Management and Team Leads were always pushing us to do our very best, in a nice way of course. I just didn't like constantly being on the phone and sitting in a chair for hours on end.
Good
Customer Assistant Representative (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDNovember 18, 2017
It was definitely a good job. I’m a bit biased because it was boring to me. But most people love it. It’s not a customer service job and you never speak to customers.
Painfully boring and tedious!
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 17, 2017
hard to focus, same every day, dictating monotonously & listening to others conversations is unproductive. half the time customers dont read captions
Pros
fixed scheduale, schoolwork/ reading a book/ or netflix during idle times, money
Cons
SO slow paced, painfully boring and tedious, all comm. is on the computer, hard to socialize, mostly working alone, you get payed 10.5 as fulltime and 11 as part time.
Great company!
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 16, 2017
I could work and make enough to pay bills, save, and have extra left over. I loved that I had time for my own projects as well. The job itself also came easily to me and I had time between calls to get things done. Great job overall.
Pros
Paid time off, time for personal life, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Can be a bit lonely if you're used to spending time with people.
Peaceful Work
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80920November 12, 2017
I was full time for the last half of my time there, and it was a simple yet fulfilling job. Knowing that you make a difference to help keep hard of hearing individuals connected with their loved ones is rewarding.
best job
CA (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 10, 2017
best job ever. amazinf staff, GREAT cause, life - changing, flexible hours, overtime- extra pay from 5 a to 7 a as well as weekends. like second family
What the heck is this?
Installer/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 7, 2017
I am just trying to get through the registration process. Are you kidding me with this stuff? I am not going to spend any time on this. I have no idea why you think you can do this on a job board!
Good Part Time Job
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTNovember 6, 2017
This job is great for students who have bills to pay or just need some extra cash while in school. It may take a little adjusting but over time, you can be a pro. You do have to work holidays and weekends. However, I wouldn't work here again. There's a lot more cons than pros, but if you just need some cash. You can pop in and then pop out. Get on with your day.
No way
Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Price, UTOctober 27, 2017
I didnt enjoy working there at all. I only kept working there for the money and helping hard of hearing people. I was always under a microscope with them and never did a good enough job no matter how hard I tried, and I always tried my hardest.
Pros
I got to help hard of hearing people and help make there lives better.
Cons
Management seems stand offish and rude. Nothing ever seemed good enough.
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 26, 2017
Nice and relaxing if you need a job that doesn't require a lot of extra work. Suitable specifically for college students since there is down time during this job.
If there's absolutely nothing else in your area and you're in desperate need of a job, apply. Once hired, start looking for a better job.
Communication Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 25, 2017
I can't believe I actually saw some reviews that said it was slow paced. That is a lie. Well, I guess it depends on what center you work at. In Utah, it is almost always busy. You barely ever get time between calls to even take a sip of water let alone catch your breath. But, I guess that depends on the time of day that you work also. They monitor you like you're a little kid. You have to earn the right to watch videos in between calls you can't just watch them. You earn that right by taking the by weekly test for your dictation accuracy and if you earn over 97% then they will give you a video card. That card is only valid up until the next time you take the next test. There are always temperature issues in the center I work at. There are never enough bathroom stalls. So you spend at least five minutes of your already tiny 15 minute break trying to find a vacant stall so you can urinate. If you plan on working here I suggest you bring a cold lunch or else you might find yourself spending at least 10 minutes waiting in line to use a microwave during your minute 30 minute break. At least one of the three microwaves (for a break period where at least 20 people are scheduled) is almost always broken. The food offered in the break room is ridiculously overpriced. They talk about appreciating each and every employee but when they bring "Free food", they don't care about dietary restrictions. Only what the majority of people will eat. Which is fair, because companies like this are all about maximizing profits and minimizing cost. Which explains the terrible $11 an hour salary. But,  more... they shouldn't pretend that they care about each and everyone of us when we all know we are each just a cog in a ginormous behemoth of a machine. I'm glad that the service they provide helps people, but I wish they wouldn't pretend to care about the employees as individuals when I know for a fact that they don't. Last but certainly not least, the dictation software we use is horrid. It can be the most stressful thing about this job when no matter how much you train it and are careful to pronounce your words correctly, the dictation software prints it out incorrectly. God forbid it's on the day of your dictation accuracy test, now you look incompetent, and it wasn't even your fault. Imagine having that issue for 10 hours straight with barely any time to breath between calls, a cubicle that is either really hot and stuffy or freezing cold (bring a cardigan and plan on putting it on and taking it off regularly during your shift. It's great exercise) surrounded by coughs sniffs and sneezes that are relentless. If you applied here, good luck to you. Don't let the four stars fool you. They are either great reviews from centers that don't get routed too many calls (in which case I'd also give 5 stars because it means I'm basically getting paid to watch videos) or management did it to bolster ratings and suck more unsuspecting people into their web of sub par employment.  less
Pros
Flexible schedule, so great for students, parents, and retirees. After working here, you can work anywhere.
Cons
Horrible pay, no benefits, oversight for monitoring, no oversight for issues
Dull, Tedious, Unfulfilling
CA (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2017
Management tries to encourage positivity but they also keep a close eye on you to make sure you're keeping the rules and achieving 96% dictation accuracy. It's extremely boring being in a cubicle, staring at a screen all day, and having little or no interaction with coworkers. There are weekly tests to keep up accuracy which can be stressful if you don't pass. The recorded tests are much faster than most calls and it's hard to score well on them. You can do homework but there is usually only 30 seconds to 2 minutes between calls.
They have a nice break room. Pay is $11.00 an hour for part time.
For the first 75 days, you are required to work either Monday or Friday, and either Saturday or Sunday.
You have to caption for some people who can hear just fine. And you have to repeat what is said on the call even if it makes you uncomfortable or if there is abuse or serious life threats being said.
Pros
You can choose your hours to a certain point, People are friendly.
Cons
Very little interaction with coworkers, Chained to a desk, Training is frustrating, Pay is not great, Not fulfilling work, Really dull, soul-sucking job
Easy work long commute
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 12, 2017
Go in, find a desk, take calls. Just manage your breaks and do your job. You can watch YouTube or surf the web in between calls. Sometimes the software is uncooperative and you won't really know any other people on your team. Most of your work interactions will be with your team lead.
Boring But Manageable
Call Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 9, 2017
The biggest problem for me in this job is that the nonstop talking required would give me sore throats constantly.
The job is really boring but for the pay reasonable. Management and rules were unreasonable and not helpful for the environment in which we were working.
Also because it is a culturally LDS company the dress code was unreasonable.
Easy job
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 9, 2017
Almost as easy as it is boring. My only real complaint is that the company is extremely stingy with pay. After a year I got a 2.47 raise. No, not 2.47 percent. Not 2 dollars and 47 cents either. 2.47 cents. A full year moves you from 11.00 per hour to 11.0247 per hour. And the 401k is a joke too. You have to do 1000 hours per year to qualify, and then you only get a fraction of the 4% after your second year. And they certainly don't go out of their way to inform you of these hoops either, I was simply told part time folks get 401k matching. It's not all bad, you can pretty much set your own schedule and they don't flip out over missing days.
Pros
Flexible schedule, laid back environment
Cons
Low pay and pathetic benefits
fun palce to work
CA assistant (Former Employee) –  Price, UTOctober 9, 2017
great environment, fun leaders and activities. Lunch breaks were the time you got to visit with other employers. Head of captioncall in price were I=understanding and nice.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
no interations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CaptionCall. Our community is ready to answer.