Caraustar Employee Reviews in United States

its a job
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 22, 2016
I would not recommend this place to anyone I know. The place is under staffed and management has no clue on how to run the place.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
20 years here..dont work in one of these plants unless its union.
management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2016
20 year employee at Caraustar. Dont work for these people unless its a union shop. Even with the union here, every day is a battle, cant imagine without it. Poor management (mid level corporate managers come out of the Chicago plant and make unrational decisions. They tell you how the industry is in tough times and hammer you on insurance and benefits while the top dogs in the Augusta Georgia coporate office take hundred of thousands of dollars in bonuses and get to play golf on one of the many memberships at Augusta country club...just like they did the last time they went in bankruptcy. I know this for a fact because this company was publicly traded and I was unfortunately a shareholder. I got bought out at pennies on the dollar while the CEO's took bonus. Employees are treated like dirt. Hopefully this company goes bankrupt and completely closes every plant they own. Bad neighbors in the community.
Productive place to work and very frendly people working there
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2016
This was a very nice experience it was no a job focus in my career but i did at the time when i was studying english as a second leguage, I learn to maintained inventory controls by collecting stock location orders and printing requests.maintained quality service by following organization standards.maintained safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and workstations neat; maintaining clean shipping supply area; complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.completed reports by entering required information. the co-workers are very nice persons and very friendly, the hardest part of the job was that i had to work in the 3rd shift and i have to study before and some times it was hard to do bouth things at the same time.
Pros
holidays off, good benefits and 2 weeks vacations
Cons
work in the 3rd shift
worked for 2 months
Gluer/Packer (Former Employee) –  Randleman, NCJanuary 11, 2016
You have to be very fast paced but working here was amazing. I wish it was not temp only for me because I would still be working here if it was not. People there are perfectly nice and they work hard too. The job itself in my position was fairly simple but you have to be very quick and precise. Management loves to answer any questions and actually care about their products. If I could work here again I would.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing I can think of
You are worth nothing at Caraustar
hr administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 23, 2015
I worked here for several months and was offered a position. It was taken back based on an "unsatisfactory" background check that had no felonies, the company had no policy of grounds of what classified "unsatisfactory" or a job refusal.

On a mill level the management is great but if you get someone involved in corporate, your life is terrible. None of the corporate individuals and management have any idea what they're doing, they have no clear outline of policy and if they don't like you, they'll fire you. Their recent strategy is to make more revenue with less people and paying them less, as well as a "shoot the laggards" theory. So if you've been there 20-30 years and your body is physically broken, they don't care. If you aren't useful for making them money, you are worth nothing. They break laws and pick and choose who to focus on and who to harass. There is no advancement and they can't get their process of administration down and uniform before adding in new policies that no one understands and they can't explain.
great place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Austell, GADecember 10, 2015
a work day is very easy leaning something every day and managment is great so is my co worker nothing hard about the job and being around my co worker
it was my first job, i couldnt find no other job besides temps
packer (Former Employee) –  Randleman, NCOctober 21, 2015
caraustar was my very first job i ever had, i liked it at first then i started to hate it after i realize compant could careless about you, i got hurt on the job and left.
Fast pace production job.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Austell, GASeptember 29, 2015
A typical day at work would start would start with a fifteen minute where we would go over progress and failures, discuss latest news from our sister plants and review the work for that day. after the meeting i would then check my orders and get started on them. I learned to operate a recutter and also how to drive a sit-down forklift.
Cons
no breaks and long hours
Regional Manager of Quality, OpEx and R&D (Current Employee) –  Austell, GASeptember 28, 2015
Good People to work with; I enjoy everyone I work with and in a positive environment. Supportive Management staff and reports.
Its a day job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 24, 2015
The job is not that bad but the managing of the company is horrible. No communication between any of the upper management and the power struggle between management seems to cloud the overall goal. The only reason that there is job security there is because of the union that they are under. Advancements are sure not to happen any time soon because of the lack of employees. There is not enough to spread the jobs around so many of the employees are having to do two or three jobs while trying to meet managements production rate.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
management
I was employed in production for 21 years.
custom packaging production (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCSeptember 11, 2015
I learned how to make the boxes, label, case and cover the boxes.
Due to the poor economy, we were told to look for other lines of employment. I worked for 21 years there. I desire to find another line of employment at this time.
My Experience with Caraustar
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Randleman, NCAugust 19, 2015
I have worked for Caraustar for 22 years, the last 5 as Customer Service Manager, for 3 employees. I have learned quite a lot from this Company , such as don't assume, nor take any thing for granted. Our Management Staff was on a level playing field with the employees, and could be depended on to treat everyone equally.
I have wonderful Co-Workers and we have been together for a very long time, and leaving will be difficult. The Hardest part of my job
is trying so very hard to accomplish all the tasks I have been given, in a 9-10 hour day, and not succeeding. Working on weekends and still not being able to keep up with the daily growth of the work given to finish. I take my work seriously and get very depressed when I can not complete the mountain load of work. I am very proud of my work History and in the last 3-4 years, our Corporate Leaders are pushing to "Do More with Less", so if someone leaves, they are not replaced. Their work is distributed to whom ever is left.
My most enjoyable time at work, entails the many Friends I have the opportunity to see each day.
Pros
Job Security and Plenty of work
Cons
If you are able to do all that is asked, you have no home life.
Second largest paper recycling center
Maintenance Technician/Welder (Current Employee) –  Franklin, OHAugust 2, 2015
Tube and manufacturing company where we did preventative maintenance on machines. Made repairs as needed when the machines went down to get them back up and running in a timely manner.
Pros
Second largest paper recycling center
Cons
Closing the doors
I enjoyed working there.
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAJune 30, 2015
Greeted drivers, keyed important information into rec paper, answered questions about the company, printed out checks for customers.
Newark Inc. was just acquired by Caraustar
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 6, 2015
My day at Newark Inc. began with gathering the data necessary to prepare the daily production report for the manager's morning meeting.
The first week of the month, my time was spent reviewing and preparing the monthly report for upper management.
During the rest of the month, I would review and prepare a weekly Overtime Report and Repairs & Supply Report.
I conducted monthly audits of the finished goods inventory.
I was back-up for daily invoicing and daily raw materials inventory count and performed these duties at least 3 or 4 times a month.
I was tasked to lead non-accounting projects by both the Controller or General Manager.
I made friends and worked effectively with everyone at the mill including supervisors and hourly personnel as well as management.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working in a team-like atmosphere. The hardest part of my job was keeping my distance from the snacks that would show up in the office.
Pros
Working atmosphere
Cons
Too many snacks to avoid :)
Productive, Fun, Friendly and Safe Work Environment
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 30, 2015
Working at Caraustar was a great learning experience. I learned how to operate multiple machines and how a tube was made. (which is something you really never think about.) My typical day would be working on Winder 4, start up the machine with my partner and make tubes. That consisted of measuring paper, hanging rolls of paper, stacking finished tubes on to pallets to be shipped out, and maintaining a clean and safe work area throughout the day. I was able to be trained on multiple machines and in all areas. I had great co-workers, we were all friends which made the work day enjoyable and also fun. My Supervisor was Awesome! He was professional, understanding, helpful, a great teacher, and also my friend. The hardest part of my job was having to get used to the monotony of making the same products. That's when great co-workers came in and made the job fun. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to learn how all of our products were made and who and where they would be shipped to. It was very interesting because nobody ever thinks about tubes and where the originate from. This is a wonderful place to work at, professional, benefits, fun, safe and friendly environment.
Pros
Bonuses, Monthly Safety Lunches, Benefits
Cons
Monotonous, Raises and Advancement are not common
Excellect Company to work for
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJMarch 5, 2015
Caraustar/The Newark Group is a very professional company to work for. There is no turn over. Many of the employees have been with the company from 5 yrs to 25 yrs.
The Vice President is always hands.
Great experience with this company.
Pros
no turn over
Cons
corporate office is closing in cranford, nj and moving to ga
Productive and fast-paced
Packout operator/Recut Operator (Current Employee) –  Beardstown, ILMarch 2, 2015
A typical day is building pallets, loading pallets on truck, watching orders, and the requirements for orders and loads./ also recutting tubes and shipments, and due dates. it is very typical to put 20 hours a week in overtime.
Soul crushing place to work that cares nothing about their employees.
slave (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2015
This whole company is a terrible place to work. The management is inept, the facility I slaved in is crumbling around you as you work. There is no room for advancement and no incentive to do more that the absolute bare minimum. You are forced to slave away in extreme heat and cold with no relief. You have no breaks whatsoever, and that includes a lunch time to eat. Management punishes employees that bring up safety concerns and complaints. I was forced to join a union that does nothing to protect its members unless they are the union president. All quarterly performance bonuses and incentives were removed, pay rates increased through contracts, but you earn less money than you did the previous contract. Manager at the mill I slaved in shut down the mill repeatedly just because he could. You lost holiday pay, double time, and time and a half. They have no respect for anyone, and their quote for when anyone had an issue was, " I can get any monkey off the street to do your job" even though some employees had been doing very complicated jobs for ten to thirty years.
great manufacturing job
Utility Associate (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCJanuary 23, 2015
fantastic manufacturing job if that is what you want to do for a career. great management, loyal staff, opportunities for furthering yourself within the company. over all a great place to work.