Caraustar Employee Reviews

Great
Scale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 22, 2017
Great place to work only problem is the company closed due to lack of business after the price of cardboard dropped. The office staff, warehouse employees and clients were great.
Not a place for a work life balance opertunity.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tama, IAMay 9, 2017
You will work a rotating shift that changes each week, you can and most likely will work many double shifts when you are the lowest qualified individual at a job classification as this business is typically understaffed due to no work life balance. Your opinions do not matter and right or wrong upper management will always side with their own people over any hourly individual. That is a factual statement not assumed. I gave that place the best years of my life and yes got a paycheck in return and I suppose at the end of the day that's what's originally agreed upon but for what they want you to sacrifice and what you get it's very lopsided in favor of the company.
Pros
Pay but most places are catching up.
Cons
No life, you are a number
Good Pay
Ohio - Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Moraine, OHApril 27, 2017
Pay is very well.. Was placed in a position that was not what I was originally hired for. Benefits are pretty good. Not a bad place to work , just not the position that I applied for.
I would never go back
Mill Worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 15, 2017
I honestly had no family time wen I worked here it was very frustrating and straining on my life but great hours great pay just be ready to pretty much live at work with mandatory overtime and people walking out on u left and right the place is like a revolving door the people you worked with made the days a little easier but if you like to work and wanna get paid caraustar is for u just be ready to never see your family
Caraustar is no longer open to the public
1st Pressman (Former Employee) –  Versailles, CTApril 9, 2017
Caraustar is no longer open to the public.they had trouble competing with the competition.It was a better company when it was Federal Paper Board and then sold to Oak Tree Packaging.
life lesson
Full Finisher (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAApril 7, 2017
the company was worth working for when it was privately owned. they bankrupted and was bought out by an investment firm and they stripped everything. not worth your time to work there.
Pros
Cons
dead end
Change in Culture
Service Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAApril 7, 2017
When I began my career at Caraustar, the atmosphere was amazing.
Years later, the atmosphere is cut throat. There is no loyalty to those who have given years of hard work and given up time with their families to see Caraustar succeed. The people at Caraustar are wonderful. They are lucky to have those who really care however they may lose them to due to the new management in some areas. There is no succession planning for internal employees any longer.
Pros
People
Laid back atmosphere
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAApril 2, 2017
Caraustar is a paper recycling company, my experience there was a fun one but I was only a temp and filling in for their normal dispatcher, it was only for a month and a half but I wished I could have stayed. Not a hard job to learn.
Pros
opportunities
Cons
small recycling plant. fire to hire i guess.
Flexibility is Great at this company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austell, GAMarch 22, 2017
I love how flexible my schedule was. I learned a lot working for this company and i would recommend this to anyone who is looking for flexiblity. Definitely a great place to pick up a lot of experience.
Good if you like factory work
Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMarch 21, 2017
Physical job good pay good opportunity for advancement. Union company. Haven't been there in 2 plus years so I'm sure things are different so not exactly sure how things are now

Want to know more about Caraustar?

Ask a question
Would not recommend
Dry End Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 11, 2017
Milwaukee plant.
They start you out as a temp for a very low age for the job that you're expected to do. People that work there are unprofessional.
The hours & the thing about if someone does not show up for their shift they force you to stay and cover for them with no notice.
This place needs some rearranging.
There are no breaks & you eat on the fly...
Never heard of....this is a slave job.
Pros
Cons
Everything about it
nice work at the Caraustar
Feeder/Packer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCFebruary 17, 2017
At Caraustar I learned different types of machine and how the work. As far as working the feeder position I obtained more experience on feeding a variety of machines. In this position wit well qualified trainers I was able to quickly gain the knowledge needed to be a pro at the job already
Small Mindset, but nice people!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 14, 2017
The company doesn't offer females the ability to advance very high or have much lateral growth in its plant locations. The monotonous production plant duties can be boring if you're interested in moving into a field where you have room for growth and more exciting interaction with people.
Pros
401K matching, Benefit Plans, & Wellness programs.
Cons
Low pay, feel like a # more than a person
Good vibe
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2017
This company has family structure to it. The people work together to achieve the necessary outcome on each assignment. They train you properly so that you can do your job to the best of your ability.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
There were non
Needs new management
Packing inspector (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCFebruary 2, 2017
I was actually fired not to long ago for my points from last year. I only enjoyed working here because I know for one I have a car payment and my kids needed the insurance.
Cons
one break, temperatures awful, management not fair
converting dept
converting lead (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCJanuary 20, 2017
lots of changes going on .I learned a lot over the pass 24 years I worked there. learned how to operate machines, schedule all machines, drive sit down and clamp tow motors,

the heat is the hardest , gets very hot in the summer.
working with different types of people
Pros
good crews to work with
Cons
hot
Pay could be better/not enough supervision
Machine Operator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, TXJanuary 13, 2017
It's a great company here so far however the pay is really low for this union plant. We are a small town but we work directly with the mill and we should be paid as such.
Also, not having supervisors on second shift so the employees don't put forth effort to do their jobs.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Lack of supervision, low pay
Hurt at work
4th hand (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2017
I was hurt in the pit in the milwaukee mill and needed surgery..3 of them. When I received my perm restrictions HR would not take me calls or call me back. After the injury in 2014 I asked to be taken to the doctor. I spoke with HR and both managers but no one wanted to take me. After working in pain for 22 days I finally had to threaten to take myself to a ER before i was able to see a doctor. Then the company lied and said there was no supporting evidence of my injury until my hole crew wrote statements to liberty mutual,because they didn't want to tarnish a safety record.I spent the better part of my years there being harassed by supervisors repeatedly proven over and over. Stepped over for advancement and training opportunities because of favoritism and friendships.
They stripped away every good thing about the company in a few short years. They cut corners on all products whenever they get the chance and blame the workers for doing exactly what they train them to do wich is save money. Everything is safety until it costs money then safety is out the window.
Pros
I dont work there anymore
Cons
If you still work there
Very productive and safe environment
Operator (Current Employee) –  Welcome, NCDecember 28, 2016
This company is big on safety and always think of ways that they can improve on making the company a safer and better working environment. People here have great attitudes but can get a little bossy at times when team work is needed.
Cons
No Breaks!
A good place to work
Padlocker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2016
I go in do my work with focus on what I had to do for that day. Got alone well with my coworkers and they got along with me .I had days when I got pretty busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caraustar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6