Cardno Employee Reviews

Its a job, but its harder do to being so unorganized
Inspector (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 17, 2017
I started with company working on an inspection contract. Pay was LOW for the job, but they never complained about over time. We lost the contract, and they offered to cross train, but never really did. The project managers and business unit managers have no organizational skills. On the plus side, they will keep you working, but it will be digging holes, or cutting survey line.
Pros
Over Time, people
Cons
Disorganized, low pay, no drive by managers to get out of the comfort zone getting new work
Discipline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2016
I had a good supervisor and i managed to travel to many places on construction & site review. Good place to work. My departmement has been eliminated due to oil field cutbacks. Cardno/PPI has decided to get out of the engineering construction business and sold this portion of the company to a senior officer and the division will now focus on deep foundations only.
Pros
Good Supervisor
Terrible management. Unfair.
Sue tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Cranberry township, paOctober 4, 2016
Neglect to raises. Hire on people with very little experience at a higher pay than people who actually know what they are doing. 1 day notice prior to out of town travel if you are lucky.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Bad management
Chaotic and unstable
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 23, 2016
Extremely chaotic and disjointed. Heavy internal focus at the expense of actually serving the client. This company has been going through a lot of change for quite some time now. If you are looking for a stable environment, this is not the place.
great place
Civil Mapping Sr. Civil Designer/AUTO CAD Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2016
good people great place to work nice office, great location with good shopping. very flexible schedule, get to work from home at least a few times a week.
Productive company in research groups
Lead Field Researcher (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 10, 2016
Working alongside environmental company as an outside consultant recording observations, samples and specimens gathered in fieldwork. As the lead field researcher I created project timelines, ensured the quality of the data, managed communications from the work group to the project manager, supervised fieldwork and trained support staff.
Pros
Ability to work on your own
Cons
Unclear about project between management and supervisors
Very productive and laid back office
Civil Designer (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMay 29, 2016
Great place to work, and a lot of educational classes and web teachings. Company cares for workers education and knowledge
Pros
Free weekly lunch meetings
Productive and friendly work environment.
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 7, 2017
The crew I was assigned to would go to the work site and perform the task required of us that day. These tasks included taking measurements of existing structures, providing grades for roadways, assigning points for structures to be placed or moved, and many other survey related aspects of the construction process. I learned much about how time management is a crucial element in completing a project and that every worker must do their job correctly or it could cause issues in the future. I also learned how to operate complex surveying equipment and proper safety procedures according to OSHA standards. The management at Cardno, Inc. was friendly and did an excellent job of helping me transition into the position by learning from veterans of the job. Everybody at the company got along and worked as a team to ensure that projects were completed in a timely and professional manner. The hardest part of the job for me was adjusting to being outside constantly and exercising caution with heat, but it also became an enjoyable part of the job as I became accustomed to it. What I enjoyed most while working at Cardno, Inc. was the camaraderie that I had with my coworkers and working with the equipment such as the GPS using PDOP and the laser scanner used to make a 3D model of the work site.
Pros
Gained knowledge about construction processes and operated complex surveying equipment.
Cons
Exposed to some moderate weather occasionally and consistent sun rays.
Fun work environment to learn and grow from
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, CODecember 14, 2015
It was a great learning experience with room to grow.

typical day - Worked through the problems like any other job, not afraid to ask for help if i needed it.

what i learned - How to work in a business environment and work without someone watching over me 24/7

Management: Eager to teach people who wanted to learn.

Co-Workers - learned to work well with my co workers to accomplish a task we wouldn't be able to complete otherwise.

Hardest part of the job - Picking up other peoples slack and having to do work they should've already done.

Most enjoyable part - Being able to work without people constantly questioning my decisions and expertise.
Pros
little to no micro management, great leaders who were excited to teach people who wanted to learn
Cons
The customers thought they knew more than they did.
dysfunctional
project manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAOctober 29, 2015
The work can be interesting and the people are friendly. The management is 100% focused on short-term profit, hounding employees to remain billable and there is relentless pressure to increase profitability on projects. This results in poor client service and drives away business. Incredible amounts of red tape and politics.

Management is characterized by empire-building, information-hoarding and a silo mentality. When things go wrong there is a lot of finger-pointing and no self-awareness. This is entrenched and does not seem to be acknowledged at any level. Company is based in Australia so anyone with any authority is absent to leave the foxes to run the henhouse.

Red flags: Entire offices have shut down recently due to attrition. Stock price flagging.
Good job
Cash applications coordinator/Treasury clerk (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COMarch 16, 2016
It was a nice place to work, however not enough work and easy layoff's. Was disorganized and didn't not allow for advancement.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No advancement
Management in Raleigh is excellent. Happy, productive staff.
Senior ACAD Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 24, 2015
Cardno, Inc. bought the employee owned Marshall Miller and Associates, of which I was an employee in VA for 30 years. I relocated with the company to Raleigh, NC April, 2014.
I enjoyed my time in the Raleigh office working remotely for the VA coal mining group. The Raleigh office is managed well, and the employees appear contented and eager to work as a team.
Cardno policy, upon full acquisition of MM&A, would not honor a previous written agreement I had with MM&A. I had taken a 17 month break in full time status employment in 2004-06 (during which I worked contract). Cardno demoted me to 8 year employee status. When inevitable lay offs became necessary in the coal based group, I was lowest in seniority rank in my department of 4.
Pros
In Raleigh office, respectful management. Good teamwork.
Cons
Dependence for my position on VA based mining group, and down turn in the industry.
Exciting Opportunity
Head of Global Information Security (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Lots of opportunity but difficult financial times makes getting anything done difficult. Operations are working on thin margins and
Was exicited about the possiblilities
Real Estate Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 3, 2015
My day involved managing several projects at once and working internally with the RE team and as well as across the states and with a RE brokerage company on finding sites for our divisional teams to relocate or renew leases.
I enjoyed the job until the time of the restructure
Pros
Travel, meeting other divisions and working closely with teams
Cons
Timelines and budget primeters
Great Management
Submerged Utilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXDecember 29, 2014
Hydrocarbon logging in the Permian Basin. Responsible for collecting samples from the rig and analyzing the Geology to determine what formation we are in and how much oil we are seeing. In the field I was responsible for a two man logging crew working 12 hour shifts. Managing myself and the other logger reporting to senior geologist twice daily to let them know how the drilling operation was progressing.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
no cons
Wrost Place to work
Quality Assuarance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston TXNovember 23, 2014
If you have experience in the Oil and Gas that's great,But the mangers or coordinators don't ,plus if you like to be treated like you are nothing to the company them apply, worst place to work for . Plus if you upset a coordinators they will starve you out of work basically they wont call you for work. I can go on and on about how bad this company is. Cardno need to change all previous mangers and coordinators and bring new group.
Pros
lack of training
Cons
Short term work
A growing company with many challenges and opportunities
Financial and Operational Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 2, 2014
Cardno management seem well intention and are eager to grow the organization. This is currently resulting in some growing pains but overall plans seems good. In general, it is exciting to be part of this organization and the changes being made.

I do have more specific concerns related to the Internal Audit and Risk Management functions and how these areas will be addressed.
Expanding international company with interests in all types of research including but not limited to natural resources, historical/cultural resources,
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 2, 2012
Would have continued to work for this Company until I retired if the economic environment had not impacted the location's success. A very knowledgeable staff of scientists, economists, engineers, technical and administrative professionals all working as a team for the benefit of our clients and their specific needs.
Pros
401k, good wages, paid holidays, health benefits
Worst company to work for - Massachusetts
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 13, 2015
This is the worst company and filled with the good ole boys. Rude and disrespectful to employees and do not provide support to staff. You are a number here. They will lay you off or fire you rather than support or train you. The asbestos division is a joke. There is nothing like this place and you have no job security.
Project Monitor for Asbestos Removal jobs
Project Monitor/Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2014
Oversee scope of work in terms of asbestos removal projects. Work closely with NYS SCA and Abatement Contractor to assure work is being done according to Federal, State and/or City regulations. Take required air samples during various phases of work.
Pros
Play an extremely vital role in Asbestos Abatement projects.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardno. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7