CarDon & Associates Employee Reviews

Very nice buildings to work in.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2017
Cardon is a great place to work however it's no place to advance whatever position you apply for is the only one you'll get to work in no room to move
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
No breaks and bad management
Not a fun place to work at
Cook (Former Employee) –  Noblesville IndianaFebruary 8, 2017
Repeat do not work here worst place to does not allow you to take lunch breaks managementit does not help you when you need help help the residents just don't work here
Pros
There is no pros
Cons
Management is the worst does not care about the employees
Family first always
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 31, 2017
I love the CarDon family of care! I have worked for them for over 15 years and at times was offered jobs at more pay and more advancement, but stayed at CarDon. CarDon is about the heart of the work place, founded on values that are timeless! Check it out for yourself!
horrible place to work..wouldnt place a family member there either
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INDecember 22, 2016
They expect their employees to give their lives and give them nothing in return..and if managers don't like you..well your screwed. place has fallen apart with new managers.
Pros
Cons
everything
Good
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jasper, INDecember 7, 2016
Good place to work, management is very good. Some benefits are really hard to get or cheap. Still a good company.
Do workers are usually plesant with the exception of a few, but somewhat average compared to other facilities.
Be wary
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bloomington Assisted LivingNovember 3, 2016
Rushed from arrival till finally get to go home, maybe. Then exhausted too much for family. Staffing issues are constant, politics important as well as appearance of being happy. Immediate director great, corporate was out of sync and ignorant. Perhaps hoping employees will move on or give up. Excellent team members do not stay, apathetic workers do stay and try to get those that work hard to go away. Not a place to put your heart into, a lot of push back from below and above. The system is not suitable to goals.
The hardest part of the job was trying to fix things that corporate thought were OK and making things complicated. The most enjoyable was working with mid-management. The higher ups main concern is financial. Learn to play the game or leave.
Pros
1.5 % annual raise
Cons
No corporate resources to help.Bad insurance Corporate road blocks.
Assisted-living. Skilled
CNA (Current Employee) –  Jasper, INNovember 2, 2016
I work on assisted-living they are 40 people to 2 cna's. I also work on skilled side where there's 24 people to 3 aides and 2 nurses. Skilled is two people assist. There is also a rehab to home. Because I am flexible I work days shift , evening shift , and split shift with some one . I will going if I am called. Cardon has a physical therapy unit . They take residence on outings. They also have bands come in and play , school kids coming and singing all kinds of activities for the residence. Church services for all the residents.
Pros
Lunches 3.00 meals are great. 2.00 dollar extra for evenings and night shift.
Cons
Low wages, lot of call in's, big turn over lately. Need Teamwork.
Its a nice and staff friendly place to work at
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 21, 2016
The staff I worked with was amazing very nice people and the residents were wonderful too. I learned that teamwork is something very important in this facility. Management is not very coordinated but overall they are great. The hardest part of the job is lifting patients and trying to not hurt your back or knees. The most enjoyable part is making the residents and their family happy!
Former LPN at Assisted Living/ HHC
LPN (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 1, 2016
I have to admit that I LOVED my job at first. But over time, I started to see the "true colors" of the management and staff at the assisted living part of this company. When you first start working there, you are treated very well and get recognized for what you do very frequently. Then, after a few months, that all goes away and you pretty much become a slave and very rarely get recognized for anything. Also, I feel that the residents DO NOT get what they pay for, and it's very sad! This place is a joke for the residents and for the staff. There are TONS of two faced people who work at this place, so beware! If you do decide to work there, DO NOT get involved, and you might be ok.
Pros
The residents, weekly pay.
Cons
Backstabbing staff and management
Always know what youre getting into
Staff (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INAugust 17, 2016
Would not be a bad company to work for, IF they actually understood or cared about the plight of an employee. Give all employees 3 month and then an annual review and raise. Cardon does not do 3 month reviews, so if you're worth anything after 3 months, you will not be recognized for it. After a year, you will have to nag for the annual review, and when you get it, and you are worth it, you will get an insufferable 1.5% raise. That is, not almost, a smack in the face. This practice creates an unusually high high turnover rate for a nursing home, not to mention it will sour an employee that has to care for fragile residents.
Management was once walking around with books on effective management practices to deal with the extremely high turnover, so obviously they are compensated way more than the floor employees, because they are oblivious on why no one stays there for more than an average 4 months.
Pros
Residents are sweet, building nice
Cons
High turnover and everything that arises from that, poor upper management, pay will not change more than 30 cents on the hour once you are locked into your starting wage
Environmental services
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INAugust 9, 2016
I have never been treated so bad in my life. The nurses were unbelievably cruel. Possibly the worst group of people in one area.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Co workers
Don't fall for it
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INAugust 4, 2016
I was employed with CarDon for exactly one year. Constantly short staffed. CNA's were treated poorly by Management (with exception of one or two in those positions). Expectations were unreal. Facility first, family was always second in their eyes. Pay rate was decent but if you needed the "excellent insurance that was offered" your paycheck was basically cut in half weekly and insurance covered NOTHING. I loved my coworkers and the residents and hate not seeing them daily. However, not having to put up w snotty management? That's a blessing.
Pros
Other CNA's and nursing staff. Free meals. Gift bags
Cons
Healthcare coverage(or lack of it), upper management
Gome away from home!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INJuly 18, 2016
I have worked for this company for 4 years! It's a great place to work. It's like working for family! They treat you fairly. Lots of room for advancement for those you want to advance. If your hardworking, loyal, dependable associate CarDon will always have a place for you. I love being part of a great team!
Pros
Teamwork, loyalty, compassion
Cons
Long days
Seriously?!
Staff (Former Employee) –  Nashville, INMarch 27, 2016
One nurse for 25 to 32 residents, one CNA to 15+ residents. Unlicensed CNAs working alone as only "CNA" on halls. Management does nothing about poorly performing staff yet expects more and more out of high performing staff. Management also aware of staff members negelcting Residents and nothing is done, in fact one neglectful staff member was recently promoted to management. The management that does help out and do their best is so stressed and overworked to a breaking point. Major staff burnout! Residents noticing all these issues but have no say. This used to be a good facility under previous management. It's really sad to see how much it has gone downhill.
Pros
Residents and thier families
Cons
Management, Res to staff ratio, Dangerously Understaffed, Lack to teamwork and staff appreciation....need I go on?
not worth it look else wear
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2016
High stress, unrealistic expectation. Staff is very unhappy which makes it hard to provide good care. I loved the residents
Pros
Great residents
Nice people
cna cna (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2015
As far as nursing homes go, this is a decent place to work. Everyone is real friendly and seem to care about the people. The pay is decent compared to other LTC
Extremely Horrible place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, InOctober 14, 2015
Always understaffed and management does nothing to change this problem. CNAs do not have the items they need ( such as briefs, linen, ect) to perform their job. Nurses are treated poorly. Pay is extremely low. No one has appreciation for what the employees do. No team work what so ever. Patients even see how poor the facility is run. They are ready for a change.
Pros
Residents are a joy
Cons
Everything else
Ethically challenging, understaffed, unreasonable demands
Therapy staff (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis areaSeptember 28, 2015
Poorly managed. Understaffed. I understand it is a for profit company; however, it is at the expense of employees and patients. Increasing work demands are put on employees while the company continues to reduce compensation and pay packages. Therapists are asked to treat patients that can't tolerate therapy and CNA's are expected to meet the needs of all patients with a CNA to patient ratio of 1:20 at times. Patient's often will sit on a toilet for up to 20 minutes waiting for assistance to get off. Therapists are expected to create a "plan of care" for a patient that is bedridden, has such significant dementia they are unable to follow a command, or is simply inappropriate for therapy due to metastatic cancers, etc. The unreasonable demands create a tense work environment is some of the facilities and an extremely negative work culture. Remember, if you choose to work at this facility, follow your ethical compass, no matter how much push back you get, because it is your license on the line!
Pros
Patients, patients, patients
Cons
poor management, understaffed, unreasonable demands and ethically challenging

Comment – October 19, 2015

This company browbeats their employees; it's a very difficult work environment. They continually have employees willing to walk away on the spot - it's emotionally draining, ethically - well they don't practice ethically, and they continue to expect more and give less. Horrible place.

Horrible place to work
CNA (Former Employee) –  EvansvilleMay 7, 2015
I only stayed 5 days. The scheduler is very manipulative and will make it seem like its an excellent place to work for. This is far from the truth. Not ONE of those orientation days did I get a lunch. Also IF you GET to take a lunch, they try to tell you that you can't leave the facility. Last I checked it is a UNPAID break meaning you can do whatever you want. Also instead of call lights you have to carry walkie talkies and beepers. The residents were necklaces and push the button on it if they need assistance. I could not figure out the beeper for the life of me. If you accidentally hit the wrong button all the alerts would disappear and you would have no idea who pressed their button. The laundry staff did not do the residents personals.. The cnas did.. Which we NEVER had time to do. There was also a number that would text you if there were any open shifts they needed filled.. I got over 30 in ONE day!!! Don't go there. They do not care about anything other than a profit
Pros
Walkies helped to find your coworkers
Cons
Everything but the walkies
Very enjoyable workplace
Part-time Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INMarch 16, 2015
Enjoys meeting and greeting visitors and also setting up hair appointments, and transportation for doctor appointments for the residents. I usually work 3-4 hours a couple hours at night during the week and every other weekend 8-4:30pm. I learned most importantly that everyone should be treated as though they were my very own family. The enjoyable part is the meeting and greeting of everyone and learning and talking with everyone (including the residents that come to the front) and learning their names and about themselves.
Pros
Talking and greeting everyone!
Cons
When someone leaves I will miss them dearly!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarDon & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4