CarDon & Associates Employee Reviews in United States

Ethically challenging, understaffed, unreasonable demands
Therapy staff (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis areaSeptember 28, 2015
Poorly managed. Understaffed. I understand it is a for profit company; however, it is at the expense of employees and patients. Increasing work demands are put on employees while the company continues to reduce compensation and pay packages. Therapists are asked to treat patients that can't tolerate therapy and CNA's are expected to meet the needs of all patients with a CNA to patient ratio of 1:20 at times. Patient's often will sit on a toilet for up to 20 minutes waiting for assistance to get off. Therapists are expected to create a "plan of care" for a patient that is bedridden, has such significant dementia they are unable to follow a command, or is simply inappropriate for therapy due to metastatic cancers, etc. The unreasonable demands create a tense work environment is some of the facilities and an extremely negative work culture. Remember, if you choose to work at this facility, follow your ethical compass, no matter how much push back you get, because it is your license on the line!
Pros
Patients, patients, patients
Cons
poor management, understaffed, unreasonable demands and ethically challenging

Comment – October 19, 2015

This company browbeats their employees; it's a very difficult work environment. They continually have employees willing to walk away on the spot - it's emotionally draining, ethically - well they don't practice ethically, and they continue to expect more and give less. Horrible place.

Extremely Horrible place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, InOctober 14, 2015
Always understaffed and management does nothing to change this problem. CNAs do not have the items they need ( such as briefs, linen, ect) to perform their job. Nurses are treated poorly. Pay is extremely low. No one has appreciation for what the employees do. No team work what so ever. Patients even see how poor the facility is run. They are ready for a change.
Pros
Residents are a joy
Cons
Everything else
not worth it look else wear
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2016
High stress, unrealistic expectation. Staff is very unhappy which makes it hard to provide good care. I loved the residents
Pros
Great residents
Nice people
cna cna (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2015
As far as nursing homes go, this is a decent place to work. Everyone is real friendly and seem to care about the people. The pay is decent compared to other LTC
Horrible place to work
CNA (Former Employee) –  EvansvilleMay 7, 2015
I only stayed 5 days. The scheduler is very manipulative and will make it seem like its an excellent place to work for. This is far from the truth. Not ONE of those orientation days did I get a lunch. Also IF you GET to take a lunch, they try to tell you that you can't leave the facility. Last I checked it is a UNPAID break meaning you can do whatever you want. Also instead of call lights you have to carry walkie talkies and beepers. The residents were necklaces and push the button on it if they need assistance. I could not figure out the beeper for the life of me. If you accidentally hit the wrong button all the alerts would disappear and you would have no idea who pressed their button. The laundry staff did not do the residents personals.. The cnas did.. Which we NEVER had time to do. There was also a number that would text you if there were any open shifts they needed filled.. I got over 30 in ONE day!!! Don't go there. They do not care about anything other than a profit
Pros
Walkies helped to find your coworkers
Cons
Everything but the walkies
don't put your license on the line
nurse (Former Employee) –  greenwood inFebruary 22, 2015
I orientated with this company and it was aweful. Stay away! Residents are not their top priority. Always short staffed and from my short time there it was obvious that moral was way low. Management was unprofessional. I didn't stay there due to fear of putting my license on the line. Please find elsewhere to work, money is not everything.
Pros
hours
Cons
managment, poor care
Very enjoyable workplace
Part-time Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INMarch 16, 2015
Enjoys meeting and greeting visitors and also setting up hair appointments, and transportation for doctor appointments for the residents. I usually work 3-4 hours a couple hours at night during the week and every other weekend 8-4:30pm. I learned most importantly that everyone should be treated as though they were my very own family. The enjoyable part is the meeting and greeting of everyone and learning and talking with everyone (including the residents that come to the front) and learning their names and about themselves.
Pros
talking and greeting everyone!
Cons
when someone leaves i will miss them dearly!
poor place to work
dietary aid (Former Employee) –  bloomington, indianaMarch 30, 2014
I worked at Bloomington car Don for about 2months and just couldn't take anymore. VERY POOR MANAGEMENT! They tell you one thing and do completely different. I had to get my TB test done 3 different times because they was to stupid to give me the right dates to get it checked. I would never refer anyone here.
Pros
residents
Cons
everything else
You will be overworked constantly
cna (Current Employee) –  indianaDecember 27, 2013
I love the residents at the facility however, everything else is not what it seems. I went there with the intention to make a difference and help my residents to the best of my ability but you are often left by yourself to care for numerous residents and the on call number never works. You become burnt out in the first 2 weeks of working. They are constantly understaffed which leaves the bulk of the work on your shoulders.

Orientation is a joke. You expect to be trained properly but that's not the case you are thrown to the wolves too soon. They don't seem to think employee feedback matters. This is why they have such a high turnover rate. Stay clear!!! You have been warned.
Pros
residents
Cons
everything else
Gone Downhill
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  IndianaMay 26, 2013
I started working for this company back in 2010 and you would not believe what a nosedive this company has taken. They treat thier residents and staff like numbers instead of people. I transfered to a different facility in the company that is suppose to be the best in their company. What a joke! The turnover rate is so high and will continue to be that way because they do not care. As a CNA, I am disappointed in how they treat their employees. Just today I had 19 residents to get ready before breakfast and no one on a get up list because the residents do not want to get up early (they never take the time to ask, they just assume)! Also, most of the time I receive no help from the nurses, and I really mean NO help! They will go out of their way to hunt you down to put someone on a bedpan and walk past call lights on a regular (the majority of the time it's requests for pain medication). What type of care am I suppose to provide 19 people? Exactly, very poor care.

If you like inadequate staffing and high turnover then this is the place for you. I love my residents with all my heart and I do my job well, but I'm going to have to leave and hang up my gait belt because I am too burnt out to continue providing inadequate care to this many people. Because this company cares about the numbers in thier faciltities and greed, they will never change.
Pros
great residents!
Cons
bad management, no teamwork, inadequate staffing
unrealistic expectations of nursing staff
CNA (Former Employee) –  Bloomington INMarch 31, 2014
I have mainly worked with psych patients in the past. This place will keep the psych facilities up and running for a long time with the behaviors they encourage. They have a customer is always right policy but when the patient has dementia they are not always right. I didn't apply to be a maid or a servant. My job is to assist with things they cannot safely do themselves. Not to wait on you hand and foot because your entitled and your private pay so you get special treatment. On night shift I was the only aide with 1 nurse and 22 very needy entitled residents.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
everything else
very poor place to work for
dietary cook (Former Employee) –  paoli, inJanuary 24, 2014
Manager in dietary was very poor in manners and training, overworked and little pay, way too much drama, and its not worth making your own life miserable.
Pros
loved the residents
Cons
overworked! poor management!
Good family owned company
Director of Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 26, 2013
This company is growing and looks very good well into the future.
Not a good place to work
Floor house keep (Former Employee) –  CarmelNovember 4, 2013
The managment here is poor the people they put in are not ready they think they know it all they don't.great staffe . Poor house keeping poor everthing would not ask anyone to work here poor poor
Cardon was fun.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 24, 2013
Good Hours. Bad Managment. Cardon is a fair company but the pepole they put in managment are not experienced and that makes your job harder.
Pros
its a job
Cons
managers are immature.
Skilled Nursing Facility
Speech Language Pathologist, Full Time (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2014
Skilled Nursing Facility, 180 bed facility with new expanded therapy gym