Care Initiatives Employee Reviews

Good company; .
Dietary Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Centerville, IAOctober 3, 2016
Care Initiatives offers ample opportunities for additional training. Administrator always concerned about budget instead of quality of care for residents.
Pros
Great upper managemnet in corporate office;
Cons
Always short staffed.
Review from Care inisitives
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New London, IAAugust 31, 2016
We would work making sure all the residents are well cared for in every aspect they asked or needed. I learned that not everybody is going to be very easy to care for and even though there may be some difficulties you still have to do whats best to make sure the residents are comfortable and happy. Some of the co-workers may be challenging to work with but for the sake of your job you should set aside your differences because your there to make the residents happy and care for them not bring your differences into the work place.
Toxic hostile work environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJuly 25, 2016
Waterloo Iowa facilities are a joke. It's toxic and so hostile! Management and corporate are more interested in how their buildings look than care of the residents. We not only lack adequate staffing we don't have the tools and supplies to perform our duties. We have horrific mandated (and uncompensated) call. The same ones who always call in are the ones who don't have to be "highlighted " and FORCED to work 12 hours! And then there is no penalty for their absences. The pay is terrible, the charting is archaic, the uniform policy is straight out of Florence Nightingale's era. Their laziest people are management's pets so don't waste your time utilizing the "open door" policy. It's nonexistent. I'm out of there at the first opportunity.
Pros
Not a one!
Cons
Everything from favoritism, forced overtime, especially for night shift, who carry the brunt of their highlight system, inappropriate people admitted to SNF who have zero chance of rehabilitation, rude management to staff, not a single care to fixing staff issues, need I go on?
waiting
Medicare Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 26, 2016
Has been in a state of transitioning for several years.
Will be good once it's complete, just unsure of when that will occur.
Pros
flexibility, bonuses
Cons
constant transitioning
Productive, fun job with high satisfaction rate.
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, IAMay 26, 2016
Productive, fun job with high employee satisfaction. Management is easily approachable. Employees are helpful. This part-time job offers low pay and limited hours.
Pros
One on one interaction with residents.
Cons
Very low pay, and limited hours.
Challenging!! Rewarding!!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IA Cedar Rapids IAMay 16, 2016
Working for Care Initiatives Hospice has been a great learning experience. The staff and team director have been supportive and easy to work with. They treat you like family and family comes first.

They offer flexibility which has allowed me to be present at the important times of my daughters school life!

I have also taken advantage of the tuition reimbursement to further my nursing career! It has really helped.
Pros
Co-Workers- Flexibility- 500$ + anniversary bonus.
Excellent Place To Work!!
Nurse transition coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 16, 2016
This company has wonderful management and corporate staff who assist with training and support. Great team to be a part of! Everyone genuinely loves what they do and take excellent care of patients and their families.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary. Great team environment.
company no good
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 9, 2016
The nursing home is no longer a home for these old folks. This company is all about making the money. I work for this company a long time and at first it was going well. Then they come in with their suite on trying to change things around thinking that it's making it better , but they don't realize that they make it worse, why not ask us veteran staff what we think about these changes or at least let the resident that were born and rise in these town there opinion. They come in change the rules and added those stupid head set to document what we do with the resident. I understand we have to document what we do but not at the prize of these resident time.I can't relaxed with my resident every time I have the headset on. We lost a lot of good staff because of it, but when we complain about it nothing is done or they send someone to show us how to use the head set again .
' What a joke I say". I have nothing against the facility I grow there learning a lot and the staff are amazing every one of them. The facility doesn't have anything to do with what upper management do . We all have to follow rules no matter what position you are in, and sometime we have to understand that staff or the management can get crabby at time do to the fact that they have to follow the rules. Its a stress full job.You got to like what you do to understand.
Pros
Staff are helpfull
Cons
need to get rid of those head set.
large company with lots of opportunities
Long Term Care Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 11, 2016
As an intern I was able to see the day to day operations. Everyone was more than happy to help me through the processes. The internship was unpaid as expected.
Cons
great opportunities to move all over the state of Iowa
Great team work, amazing DON and Administrater
CNA (Current Employee) –  West Branch, IAMarch 14, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and easy flowing, I learned proper procedures on health care and ways to manage and clean rooms. The management is absolutely amazing. The co workers I had were some of the hardest, considerate people I have ever worked with. Hardest part of my job was when residents passed away!
Pros
Great envionment
Cons
Healthcare
Understaffed; too much work expected in time alloted
Cook/Dishwasher/Server (Former Employee) –  Centerville, IAFebruary 28, 2016
I worked for almost a month (3 weeks of training- but only 4 days was actual kitchen work) as a cook at the Centerville, IA facility. While I was honest with them that I had never been a cook at a nursing home, I did have previous experience as a cook in an intentional community, cooking for over 70 people. Generally when I cooked there, I did have a helper or two. When residency at the facility decreased by two or three people, upper management decided that a cook should be able to make dinner for about 50 people, plus the next day's desert, in four hours. There was one helper provided, but that person was in charge of preparing/pouring drinks and some dish duties. The cook's job also includes serving lunch to residents, busing and washing the tables after lunch, preparing afternoon and evening snacks, making and serving coffee to residents, plus washing and putting away all dirty dishes, pots and pans, etc. Dinner consisted of preparing room trays, making two different main meals (plus a few specialized meals depending on individual diets), plus pureeing, or chopping food as needed for individuals with limited chewing ability. After dinner putting away leftover food, busing the tables, washing the dirty dishes and pots again, mopping the floor, bringing used linens to the laundry room, and then taking out the trash as well. While the coworkers were very nice, and certain of the managers were very nice, the amount of work expected was too much for one person. The part of the job I had been most concerned about was interacting with the residents - which actually turned out  more... to be the best part of all. Really what those people need more of is love and attention, just someone to take some time to talk with them, maybe hold their hand a while, so they can still feel connected. But I don't recommend working there; too little pay, too little time, too much work.  less
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Too much work required in too little time given
Fun place to work and good co-workers
Cook (Current Employee) –  Rock Rapids, IAFebruary 10, 2016
A good place to work. flexible with hours. Basically treats workers fairly but could be improved. Upper management show bluntly favoritism which has causes distress among workers. But the workers try to look beyond that because the residents are great people and we enjoy working with them.
Pros
great co-worker, residents families are friendly
Cons
upper management shows favoritism bluntly
excellent company
Cook (Current Employee) –  La Porte City, IADecember 8, 2015
Fantastic work place. With amazing co-workers. I loved my time here. just have a family to support so i need a better paying job.
Pros
good flexibility and great people.
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities and low pay.
Don't Work Here!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo IANovember 26, 2015
I worked at Ravenwood for seven months as a CNA. It was the worst work experience I've ever had. Nurses make the CNA's do all the running around as they sit behind the desk. I was left with 20+ residents everyday, expected to bathe, feed, walk all to dining room, help all to bed, and bathroom. As well as using the headset to document (which was a total joke of a documentation system). If we didn't get all the documentation done, we were in trouble, but if we spent all our time documenting and not spending time with residents we also got in trouble. Multiple call lights went off every 5 minutes, there was no time to get anything done, and you would be in trouble if you didn't answer the call lights in time. They would make you go into the room and shut the call lights off and then go back to answer them later, which is a big NO! They have a lot to fix in this establishment. Actually caring about residents is not something they do, which having resident relationships was the only part of the job that wasn't terrible. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
None.
what I learned
RN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cherokee, IAOctober 6, 2015
worked in a variety of setting from long term care to psychiatric settings, home health care, performed immunization clinics, wound care.worked PRN as nurse and enjoyed the flexibility.
Pros
PRN Flexibile hours
Cons
Did not care for the miles I had to travel. No mileage reimbursment
large company with many consultants
Facility Administrator Stratford (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 12, 2015
Care Initiatives is a large non profit nursing home chain, medical model. It is a good opportunity for an new nursing home administrator. It is extremely organized with consultants for nursing, finance, therapy, environmental services. There is not a lot of room for creativity and individualism.
Pros
incentive bonus
Cons
too many consultants with too many directives
Care Initiatives
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wapello, IowaFebruary 15, 2015
I would not recommend this Nursing facility to ANYONE. First of all the care of the residents has gone down hill fast! They are severely under staffed. Care Initiatives upper management says that they are the lowest staff to resident ratio in the state of Iowa. I believe that! The Director of Nursing is a Joke! She currently took the Administrator job. She had no idea nor did she care what was going on with the facility. She was friends with the CNA's and partied with them on the weekends therefore Superviors were told they were "picking" on staff if they were asked to perform their job! She is two faced and does not back her nurses. Current Director of nursing is a joke! Has NO CLUE how to perform her job duties. Therefore she can't keep staff. She couldn't make it as a floor Nurse when she previously worked there. She has no idea protocols nor how to make staff accountable. Definitely a place I would not take my dead dog!
Pros
Residents
Cons
Administrator, Director of Nursing
Do NOT reccommend this job under current management!
Dept Head (Former Employee) –  Ravenwood Nursing & Rehab CenterJanuary 10, 2015
Administrator is a bully! If you want to work in a hostile work environment this is the place to be. Worked for this company a number of years until recent new management in the past 6 montths.... the Admin & Director of Nursing "target" staff they no longer want and treat them with hostility till they fire you or you can no longer take that kind of treatment & you just quit. I would certainly NOT recommend this company under current management.
Pros
NONE @ this time
Cons
poor management
A learning environment
LPN Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAJanuary 9, 2015
I have learned a great deal with working for this company, I have worked with some of the best nurses who taught me a lot and some not so good. The best part of the job was the residents who gave me a sense of being needed and that the small things that you can do can have a positive impact.The hardest part of the job was at times being short staffed and staff/management that would cause drama and chaos
Pros
Education
Cons
possible long shifts
have an awesome team and director
Hospice RN (Current Employee) –  DSMSeptember 19, 2014
I have been an RN for 35+ years and have worked in the "dictator" environment. I was very gun shy when I started with the organization but because of the fantastic team and my director I feel brought in with all my flaws and my attributes. My position is new so it's being customized as I go along and my director is very open and enthusiastic as are the other nurses in my team and the care centers we have visited. I feel blessed to have been put in this spot in my life with this wonderful people. This will be my LAST job!!
Pros
wonder team mates, excellant teaching from director and others, open to new ideas and team approach
Cons
some equipment qliches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care Initiatives. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8