Care Initiatives Employee Reviews

Remove management and it would be super!!
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Corydon, IAJanuary 3, 2017
I've never worked in a place where management absolutely can not manage...they make promises that they willingly can not keep, hire nurses and make them aides and tell them that it's a nurses job to fill cna hours...put new nurses on a cart as a nurse and put ones that have been there a long time as a cna. They won't advertise that they need CNAS. They treat loyal employees that have been there for years like they are replaceable. The management tells confidential things about one employee to other employees. Cnas and nurses are expected to work unexpected double shifts no matter if they can or not, children to pick up or not...the turn over is grand and the punishment you will receive while working there is absolutely not worth the wages!!! DON and ADON are suppose to be team leaders but can't even come out to feed residents when THEY haven't scheduled enough people but expect employees to work double shifts and several days straight. Until they're gone, this place is mismanaged and a joke.
Pros
Clean facility
Cons
Headsets and equipment issues, Dont expect a raise, No breaks at most times, management underhanded, need help and wont advertise
Excellent Place To Work!!
Nurse transition coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 16, 2016
This company has wonderful management and corporate staff who assist with training and support. Great team to be a part of! Everyone genuinely loves what they do and take excellent care of patients and their families.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary. Great team environment.
fun workplace with opportunity for advancement
CNA (Former Employee) –  Atlantic, IAJanuary 26, 2017
Administer Medications to clients
Assist in Performing Daily Living Activities (bathing, grooming, feeding, dressing, ambulating)
Work as a team to provide the best possible care to clients
Perform job skills in a timely and organized manner
Speak with family about care that is given to client
Charting
Hospitality when speaking on phone or face to face
Lifting more than 50 lbs.
Using lifting equipment
Pros
yearly bonuses, education reimbursement
Cons
n/a
very well managed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Wapello, IADecember 28, 2016
Management was always willing to help when possible. Very understanding of the complications involved in the workplace and trying to fix it. Definitely an open door policy
Pros
management willingness to assist
Cons
employees seemed to have set "clicks" and resistant
Toxic hostile work environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJuly 25, 2016
Waterloo Iowa facilities are a joke. It's toxic and so hostile! Management and corporate are more interested in how their buildings look than care of the residents. We not only lack adequate staffing we don't have the tools and supplies to perform our duties. We have horrific mandated (and uncompensated) call. The same ones who always call in are the ones who don't have to be "highlighted " and FORCED to work 12 hours! And then there is no penalty for their absences. The pay is terrible, the charting is archaic, the uniform policy is straight out of Florence Nightingale's era. Their laziest people are management's pets so don't waste your time utilizing the "open door" policy. It's nonexistent. I'm out of there at the first opportunity.
Pros
Not a one!
Cons
Everything from favoritism, forced overtime, especially for night shift, who carry the brunt of their highlight system, inappropriate people admitted to SNF who have zero chance of rehabilitation, rude management to staff, not a single care to fixing staff issues, need I go on?
Productive and fun place to work
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  New London, IAFebruary 2, 2017
Good management, always trying to find ways to improve.
Great staff, many have been there for years.
Good starting pay!
Review from Care inisitives
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New London, IAAugust 31, 2016
We would work making sure all the residents are well cared for in every aspect they asked or needed. I learned that not everybody is going to be very easy to care for and even though there may be some difficulties you still have to do whats best to make sure the residents are comfortable and happy. Some of the co-workers may be challenging to work with but for the sake of your job you should set aside your differences because your there to make the residents happy and care for them not bring your differences into the work place.
Good company; .
Dietary Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Centerville, IAOctober 3, 2016
Care Initiatives offers ample opportunities for additional training. Administrator always concerned about budget instead of quality of care for residents.
Pros
Great upper managemnet in corporate office;
Cons
Always short staffed.
Challenging!! Rewarding!!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IA Cedar Rapids IAMay 16, 2016
Working for Care Initiatives Hospice has been a great learning experience. The staff and team director have been supportive and easy to work with. They treat you like family and family comes first.

They offer flexibility which has allowed me to be present at the important times of my daughters school life!

I have also taken advantage of the tuition reimbursement to further my nursing career! It has really helped.
Pros
Co-Workers- Flexibility- 500$ + anniversary bonus.
Horrible place to work!!!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IowaMay 13, 2013
I was a CNA for a Care Initiatives for 14 months and it was the worst nursing home/rehab center I have ever worked in! The management only cared about money and not about the well being of the residents or the staff. I was only allowed one 30 minute break and most days I didn't have time to take it as I had 20+ residents assigned to me and my nurse wouldn't help and the other CNA's had 12-15 residents assigned and didn't have time to help. We had many meetings about not getting documentation correct and if we got that perfect then we had meetings on how the care was going down. The headsets for documenting rarely work correctly and take away from patient care. Not to mention the 'leadership team' that was a big joke! it was their attempt to make the place bearable to work but only made more work for those that weren't on the team. The pay is the lowest in town and the benefits are horrible unless you want to pay $200 a month for one person. We had state called on us several times because the care wasn't up to snuff, but once they had a clue that state was coming we somehow had more than enough staff and tons of teamwork.
Productive, fun job with high satisfaction rate.
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, IAMay 26, 2016
Productive, fun job with high employee satisfaction. Management is easily approachable. Employees are helpful. This part-time job offers low pay and limited hours.
Pros
One on one interaction with residents.
Cons
Very low pay, and limited hours.
Laid back
Medicare Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2012
I was the Medicare Administrative Assistant. The job entitled many clerical duties such as filing, answering phones, and assist others in anything as well. I also filed co-insurance to many different entities and also made a weekly deposit of the insurance checks that we recieved. I would then post the payments to the residents accounts as it informed us on the explanation of benefits.
company no good
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 9, 2016
The nursing home is no longer a home for these old folks. This company is all about making the money. I work for this company a long time and at first it was going well. Then they come in with their suite on trying to change things around thinking that it's making it better , but they don't realize that they make it worse, why not ask us veteran staff what we think about these changes or at least let the resident that were born and rise in these town there opinion. They come in change the rules and added those stupid head set to document what we do with the resident. I understand we have to document what we do but not at the prize of these resident time.I can't relaxed with my resident every time I have the headset on. We lost a lot of good staff because of it, but when we complain about it nothing is done or they send someone to show us how to use the head set again .
' What a joke I say". I have nothing against the facility I grow there learning a lot and the staff are amazing every one of them. The facility doesn't have anything to do with what upper management do . We all have to follow rules no matter what position you are in, and sometime we have to understand that staff or the management can get crabby at time do to the fact that they have to follow the rules. Its a stress full job.You got to like what you do to understand.
Pros
Staff are helpfull
Cons
need to get rid of those head set.
waiting
Medicare Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 26, 2016
Has been in a state of transitioning for several years.
Will be good once it's complete, just unsure of when that will occur.
Pros
flexibility, bonuses
Cons
constant transitioning
Great team work, amazing DON and Administrater
CNA (Current Employee) –  West Branch, IAMarch 14, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and easy flowing, I learned proper procedures on health care and ways to manage and clean rooms. The management is absolutely amazing. The co workers I had were some of the hardest, considerate people I have ever worked with. Hardest part of my job was when residents passed away!
Pros
Great envionment
Cons
Healthcare
Fun place to work and good co-workers
Cook (Current Employee) –  Rock Rapids, IAFebruary 10, 2016
A good place to work. flexible with hours. Basically treats workers fairly but could be improved. Upper management show bluntly favoritism which has causes distress among workers. But the workers try to look beyond that because the residents are great people and we enjoy working with them.
Pros
great co-worker, residents families are friendly
Cons
upper management shows favoritism bluntly
large company with lots of opportunities
Long Term Care Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 11, 2016
As an intern I was able to see the day to day operations. Everyone was more than happy to help me through the processes. The internship was unpaid as expected.
Cons
great opportunities to move all over the state of Iowa
Don't Work Here!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo IANovember 26, 2015
I worked at Ravenwood for seven months as a CNA. It was the worst work experience I've ever had. Nurses make the CNA's do all the running around as they sit behind the desk. I was left with 20+ residents everyday, expected to bathe, feed, walk all to dining room, help all to bed, and bathroom. As well as using the headset to document (which was a total joke of a documentation system). If we didn't get all the documentation done, we were in trouble, but if we spent all our time documenting and not spending time with residents we also got in trouble. Multiple call lights went off every 5 minutes, there was no time to get anything done, and you would be in trouble if you didn't answer the call lights in time. They would make you go into the room and shut the call lights off and then go back to answer them later, which is a big NO! They have a lot to fix in this establishment. Actually caring about residents is not something they do, which having resident relationships was the only part of the job that wasn't terrible. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
None.
Care Initiatives
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wapello, IowaFebruary 15, 2015
I would not recommend this Nursing facility to ANYONE. First of all the care of the residents has gone down hill fast! They are severely under staffed. Care Initiatives upper management says that they are the lowest staff to resident ratio in the state of Iowa. I believe that! The Director of Nursing is a Joke! She currently took the Administrator job. She had no idea nor did she care what was going on with the facility. She was friends with the CNA's and partied with them on the weekends therefore Superviors were told they were "picking" on staff if they were asked to perform their job! She is two faced and does not back her nurses. Current Director of nursing is a joke! Has NO CLUE how to perform her job duties. Therefore she can't keep staff. She couldn't make it as a floor Nurse when she previously worked there. She has no idea protocols nor how to make staff accountable. Definitely a place I would not take my dead dog!
Pros
Residents
Cons
Administrator, Director of Nursing
excellent company
Cook (Current Employee) –  La Porte City, IADecember 8, 2015
Fantastic work place. With amazing co-workers. I loved my time here. just have a family to support so i need a better paying job.
Pros
good flexibility and great people.
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities and low pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care Initiatives. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9