Care Initiatives

Care Initiatives Employee Reviews

large company with many consultants
Facility Administrator Stratford (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMay 12, 2015
Pros: incentive bonus
Cons: too many consultants with too many directives
Care Initiatives is a large non profit nursing home chain, medical model. It is a good opportunity for an new nursing home administrator. It is extremely organized with consultants for nursing, finance, therapy, environmental services. There is not a lot of room for creativity and individualism.
Care Initiatives
Nurse (Former Employee), Wapello, IowaFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: residents
Cons: administrator, director of nursing
I would not recommend this Nursing facility to ANYONE. First of all the care of the residents has gone down hill fast! They are severely under staffed. Care Initiatives upper management says that they are the lowest staff to resident ratio in the state of Iowa. I believe that! The Director of Nursing is a Joke! She currently took the Administrator job. She had no idea nor did she care what was going on with the facility. She was friends with the CNA's and partied with them on the weekends therefore Superviors were told they were "picking" on staff if they were asked to perform their job! She is two faced and does not back her nurses. Current Director of nursing is a joke! Has NO CLUE how to perform her job duties. Therefore she can't keep staff. She couldn't make it as a floor Nurse when she previously worked there. She has no idea protocols nor how to make staff accountable. Definitely a place I would not take my dead dog!
Do NOT reccommend this job under current management!
Dept Head (Former Employee), Ravenwood Nursing & Rehab CenterJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: none @ this time
Cons: poor management
Administrator is a bully! If you want to work in a hostile work environment this is the place to be. Worked for this company a number of years until recent new management in the past 6 montths.... the Admin & Director of Nursing "target" staff they no longer want and treat them with hostility till they fire you or you can no longer take that kind of treatment & you just quit. I would certainly NOT recommend this company under current management.
A learning environment
LPN Charge nurse (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: education
Cons: possible long shifts
I have learned a great deal with working for this company, I have worked with some of the best nurses who taught me a lot and some not so good. The best part of the job was the residents who gave me a sense of being needed and that the small things that you can do can have a positive impact.The hardest part of the job was at times being short staffed and staff/management that would cause drama and chaos
have an awesome team and director
Hospice RN (Current Employee), DSMSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: wonder team mates, excellant teaching from director and others, open to new ideas and team approach
Cons: some equipment qliches
I have been an RN for 35+ years and have worked in the "dictator" environment. I was very gun shy when I started with the organization but because of the fantastic team and my director I feel brought in with all my flaws and my attributes. My position is new so it's being customized as I go along and my director is very open and enthusiastic as are the other nurses in my team and the care centers we have visited. I feel blessed to have been put in this spot in my life with this wonderful people. This will be my LAST job!!
Excellent
CNA (Former Employee), Lamoni, IAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: short staff
Loved the residents, they made my day fun. I had excellent co-workers. It was a nice place to work.
Horrible place to work
Hospice case manager (Former Employee), Cedar FallsApril 26, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: director a bully
Gave up a stable job for job as hospice caseworker. Told in one week that "it just wasn't going to work out". No training, with a very complex computer system. Director antagonistic and harassing employees on a regular basis. Had to plead with her to give me a chance, as I have a family with children to provide for. I was good enough for her when the census was high, but otherwise was repeatedly attacked by her. Corporate office indifferent, with no concern for employees who told vice president that director harassed them.He didn't care. Worst place I have ever worked, bar none. Set up for you to fail, no training, antagonistic director who is as unprofessional as they come. It is sad, as the staff are excellent. I had been a nurse for 15 years, charge nurse of ICU, worked in many different settings, but the director said just not "a good fit". Do not work here unless you like being harassed and bullied. High turnover rate indicates poor management. Had health problems due to stress of working there. Director acts friendly at first, then turns into antagonistic bully. Don't make the same mistake I made. No job is worth the abuse you will take there. We are professionals, and are people, and should be treated like such.
Learning Experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: great residents and work environment
Cons: having to work short staffed
Every day consists of similar experiences. I work at a nursing and rehab facility which consists of residents who are there for rehab purposes or for long-term. Some of our long-term residents have dementia and have many needs.
I learned how to manage my time, mostly since I usually work as an only nurse on 3rd shift; therefore, when residents need something from me, I have to choose which case is the most important. We don't have separate units, we have six hallways, where all the residents are dispersed - whether they are skilled, have dementia, are hospice, or are there due to advanced age. This is probably the hardest part of my job, especially when I have residents with behaviors and resident's who are passing away or any sort of needs that require immediate attention.
On the rare days that I do work with another nurse, all the nurses on 3rd shift are hard-working, efficient, and very pleasant. Along with the resident's and the CNAs, they are probably what make the job that much better.
Very caring environment, enjoyed working with the different disciplines.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: people i worked with, warm and caring individuals. knowledge learned.
Cons: to much to do in 40 hrs, no overtime. just do most important tasks.
A typical day involved:
Maintain accurate patient records, enter new patient information, fax doctors, work with pharmacies, order and record all medication changes. Prepare agenda for weekly Interdisciplinary Meeting and make sure all signatures required were received, and patient information updated and passed on to the required people and copies filed accurately. Copy and maintain current information for the nurses Patient Care Plans. Weekly reports, employee payroll and Accounts Payable patient information. Check eligibility for patients, keep admit packets available with changing required forms, forms up to date, policy books current. We covered 7 counties, so changing schedules was a constant, keeping on call schedule updated order medical equipment (wheel chairs, bed mattresses, etc.). Other varies jobs required of an Office Coordinator, petty cash, mail, order supplies, etc.
Most important things I learned is that that it all requires TEAM WORK. The other is that it is all about the end of life wishes of the patient. It's about what the patient wants. The team works with the family to help them understand that while addressing the family members issues as well.
Hardest part of the job was transferring to a new computer system, still in the process when I left.
I loved the people I worked with! We all worked hard, but in such a caring environment. It was so enlightening to learn how they would deal with different situations.
The hardest part, always, was the family or persons having difficulty putting their loved one in Hospice. Being kind, patient and empathetic became very easy the more I learned. Worked with Wonderful people.
Fun interacting with the staff and residents
LPN (Current Employee), Pleasantville, IAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: great staff
Cons: no breaks or lunches at times, burn out of hours
I enjoyed this job, I felt the ratio of staff to residents was a bit high, making it hard to really spend quality time with my residents. I felt at times the management team were not listening to the staffs concerns. but was pleased with the fact that most staff were there long term. I would of loved to get more time to assess my residents and answer the important questions they had, however 36:1 nurse made this complicated. Loved my aids and felt the relationship we had made a team.
Horrible place to work!!!
CNA (Former Employee), Dubuque, IowaMay 13, 2013
I was a CNA for a Care Initiatives for 14 months and it was the worst nursing home/rehab center I have ever worked in! The management only cared about money and not about the well being of the residents or the staff. I was only allowed one 30 minute break and most days I didn't have time to take it as I had 20+ residents assigned to me and my nurse wouldn't help and the other CNA's had 12-15 residents assigned and didn't have time to help. We had many meetings about not getting documentation correct and if we got that perfect then we had meetings on how the care was going down. The headsets for documenting rarely work correctly and take away from patient care. Not to mention the 'leadership team' that was a big joke! it was their attempt to make the place bearable to work but only made more work for those that weren't on the team. The pay is the lowest in town and the benefits are horrible unless you want to pay $200 a month for one person. We had state called on us several times because the care wasn't up to snuff, but once they had a clue that state was coming we somehow had more than enough staff and tons of teamwork.
A non-profit organization that serves several elderly Iowas throughout the state
Administrator in Training (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMarch 8, 2013
Care Initiatives is a non-profit organization which owns several nursing homes which serve both urban and rural communities throughout Iowa. They accept several Medicaid residents which is a great benefit for many elderly Iowans.
Laid back
Medicare Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2012
I was the Medicare Administrative Assistant. The job entitled many clerical duties such as filing, answering phones, and assist others in anything as well. I also filed co-insurance to many different entities and also made a weekly deposit of the insurance checks that we recieved. I would then post the payments to the residents accounts as it informed us on the explanation of benefits.
Great place to start you work experience.
Assistant DON (Former Employee), Corydon, IowaDecember 12, 2011
The potential for advancement was good and the people that worked at this facility were like family.

Care Initiatives Salaries