Care1st Health Plan Employee Reviews

Experience and fast pace
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 20, 2017
Working at the care 1st clinics can be a bit overwhelming but it is a great place to gain experience. There is a large flow of patients and fast paced environment but the staff and providers handle their patients very well and try their best to fit the patients needs while staying in their scope of practice. Of course, no medical facility is going to be easy going, yes the staff is required to assist doctors and are assigned different tasks/ jobs to do throughout the day or when it is slow. There has been instances when both or either clinic(s) have been understaffed due to irresponsible and unreliable staff/providers. Even then so, the staff and providers assist patients the best way they can; fully staffed or understaffed. There is opportunity for overtime depending on scheduling and staff. Occasional 12 hr shifts and one Saturday out of the month. But who doesn't mind overtime! Overall, working at the clinics it is a good way to gain experience in front and back.
Busy and fast apced
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 19, 2017
Working at the care 1st clinics is a bit overwhelming but it is a great place to gain experience. No place anyone works for in the medical field is going to be easy going. There is large patient flow and face paced but the staff certainly tries their best to fit patient needs while staying within their scope of practice and same goes for the doctors. From time to time the clinics do tend to be understaff due to irresponsible and unreliable staff and doctors. Even then so, the staff and doctors handle patients very well fully staffed or understaffed. ALL staff are assigned tasks to take care of when days are slow and are required to assist doctors when needed. There is opportunity for overtime depending on scheduling, with occasional 12 hr shifts & one Saturday out of month. Overall, a few things do need work but it is a good place to get your foot in the door and gain front and back office experience.
No room for growth or advancement
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 18, 2017
Recently acquired by Blue Shield, the transition is still underway and staffing and other changes have already occurred.
This is a small company that tries to provide perks for employees, but these do not include bonuses or adequate compensation.
Very top-heavy with management, especially since Blue Shield took over. Only management favorites get promoted.
Many departments are staffed with uneducated employees.
Pros
Some departments allow remote work.
Cons
Zero room for growth or promotion.
Hostile Environment
Senior Accountant/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 11, 2017
The work environment was very hostile. Lots of overtime and benefits was okay. But great starter company to get your feet wet in the healthcare industry.
Stressfull, overworked
Medical Assistant / Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 1, 2017
If you work at corporate everything is peachy. However if you work on site at clinics as a Medical Assistant or receptionist it is stressful. Great place to gain experience but if you have experience you are better off finding a better paying job than close to minimum wage. Their excuse is the cost of living in palmdale is lower, so your work is worth near minimum. Staff is amazing but it seems corporate is out of touch with what is going on onsite with our daily routine. We are overworked, working 12 hour shifts several days a week. Accepting more patients than we can handle because we are always understaffed. Performing various jobs above and beyond our pay grade and job title, without being compensated for the extra work. We are never recognized for our work. I always say if it wasn't because we work like a team and go out of our ways to learn new task that require further education, care1st clinics would not be running. All we ask is increased wages, more staff, and recognition of our work.
Awesome workplace
PDCM Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAApril 19, 2017
I gained a lot of knowledge from my director
My peers taught me a lot
Gained a lot of experience
My interest in provider relations grew
It was pleasant
Productive company
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAApril 12, 2017
Care1st Health Plan is a good company to work for. Care1st is a very diverse and cultural company. Working for this company has been a great experience.
Fun around the Holidays
Claims Compliance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAMarch 23, 2017
Love working for Care1st at the beginning. always give company parties and for the holidays they are very generous with food. I would recommend Friends.
Cons
Management to learn how to manage and handle conflicts
Great training
Member Service II / UM Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAMarch 12, 2017
With Care 1st they officered you such a great training. They always give you the opportunity to learn and move up. Management and working in assisting customer is great.
Great company
Prior Authorization Rep II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2017
Great company. Made long time friends. Management was good. The company cares about it's employees. Fun but professional environment.
Great place to gain valuable experience
SIU Investigator (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAOctober 20, 2016
I have worked for this company for over five years now and have gained valuable experience during this time. The pro are that you are very hands on with the work you do. The cons are that your compensation will be on the low side of the scale.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Bottom of the pay scale
Opportunity of growth
Manager of Application Systems (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CASeptember 20, 2016
Executive management support on technology initiatives and opportunity to work and learn in different business domain area. Management is always working along with operational staffs as well and management level.
great work place
Claims Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CASeptember 16, 2016
Great place to work , excellent surrounding. I would recommend anyone to work at this company. Everyone is very friendly , its a comfortable place to work.
Qi
Nusre QI/CCIP (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesJuly 7, 2016
Its a typical work environment a combination of educated people with non-educated people. the hardest thing about this job is LACK of training for NEW employees.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Expect to work hard
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2016
Overall a good company. Constantly require mandatory overtime. Middle management is constantly changing so it can be difficult to adapt.
productive, busy work environment
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAMarch 10, 2016
My job is very busy at times but you have to learn to prioritize your day first thing every morning. We work as a team, we each do our part to get the work done to satisfy our patients. The hardest part of the day is after lunch it gets busier and chaotic. The most enjoyable part of the day is when i start seeing things getting accomplished.
A young Growing HMO
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAOctober 25, 2015
Care1st Health Plan is a great company with a strong camaraderie. Typical day at the work place includes great teams collaborating on quality assurance initiatives to greater serve the member population.
Watch your back
Professional Staff (Current Employee) –  Monterey ParkSeptember 15, 2015
Looked good at first but down hill all the way ..
You are given little if any guidance ( 3 different job descriptions in a 6 month period ) this must truly be where the "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing " came from. Truth is ,owners / management
seem more concerned about high end cars and clothing then anything else. Client's are medicaid with
Constant complaints and the MD'S are often heard complaining that they can't afford the cars or clothes that the patients have!
The company was purchased by Blue Shield last year,
we can only hope that they do a clean sweep of ALL upper management, and review the MD screening /hiring process.
Pros
To few too mention
Cons
See above
Company with great growth potential
Business Analyst, Corporate Medical Management (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 15, 2015
Co-workers were very helpful and pleasant to work with
Leadership improvement needed
Accountability issues among leaders and middle management
Pros
Midsize company with lots of learning potential
Cons
Not organized, teamwork issues, no accountability
it was great
Culture & Linguistic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2015
love my boss. Love the people there. the job was fun, but unfortunately it didn't last. If they ever come back to town, I will definitely work for them again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care1st Health Plan. Our community is ready to answer.