Career Education Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 25, 2017
I had held various positions while working for this company and it was rewarding. There is room for growth and opportunities. There were many talented people that I encountered and I am glad to have learned from some of the best.
No room for growth!
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILMay 22, 2017
No one has a good or decent work ethic. Management comes and goes as they please. You will be forced to figure most things out on your own or from a coworker. No bonuses or incentives but daily and weekly goals were always met or exceeded. Etc....
Pros
Pay rate based on experience.
Cons
Bad managment
Terrible place to work
Training Coordinator/Admissions Advisor B (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 18, 2017
The turnover rate is insane. The expectations are ridiculous and the pay is not that good. The management distinguishes themselves as US and the advisors as THEM. I have literally heard management talking about advisors behind their backs and the environment is very cutthroat.
Cons
Everything about this company is a con.
My experience with CEC
Reentry Financial aid advisor (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 9, 2017
It has been a great place to work. Coworkers are friendly. There is just so many changes going on it has become stressful. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Decent place
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 2, 2017
Loved the cafeteria, culture was good, management lacked guidance and gave even less, it was like a boys club that was focused more on creating a closed group to cover each others you know what, then who can actually do a decent job.
Pros
Homemade food in cafeteria, good schedule, decent people.
Cons
Company struggling, Management lacks guidance, too much secrecy
Sales driven with our concern for quality
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILApril 17, 2017
The company was heavily sales driven and working with clients was rewarding but I was always concerned if it was always in their best interests. Middle management was decent but upper management was very disconnected from the reality of the work being done.
a great opportunty but unneeded stress
Senior Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILApril 10, 2017
When I started at CEC I was very happy to be there. Over time, it grew too repetitive for me so I am now looking to make a change. They are very big on numbers and this creates a stressful work environment.
hard job to keep
National Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 28, 2017
CTU was a great place, the only hard part was keeping up with the metrics. This was a sink or swim type of job and almost everyone that i started with did not last longer than 6 months. I was there for quite a bit and learned what it meant to work hard everyday and not to take an off day.
Exciting Company To Work For!
Career Services Placement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMarch 27, 2017
If you're looking to work for a company that offers creative careers in the culinary arts, interior design or technology industries plus opportunities to put advanced training to work in professional environments, this is the place for you!
Pros
In touch with the new startups and established businesses in the city and suburbs
Cons
Some cold calling to establish relationships within the industry
Very social and fun place to work
Sr. National Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 24, 2017
Career Education is a laid back type of environment where the employees are friendly and respectful. This is the first job where all are respectful and friendly. Management does all to ensure employees comfort. They are also in tune with employees concerns and issues and will respond to anyone's request for help or improvement. At career education employees work a kind of flex schedule where one would not come in at the same time each day. Arrival times vary with one late day and one early day.
Pros
flexible lunch times. Optional work hours
Cons
almost never able to leave work on time.
Financial Aid
Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 22, 2017
Pay is very poor. Promotions are based on personal relationships with upper management instead of overall performance. You will get promoted only if you are "friends" with management
Challenging
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILMarch 14, 2017
This position was a challenge, however, I gained a lot of experience and learned alot of new skills. Because of the school structure, it was sometimes a challenge to perform the job effectively.
Pros
Learned lots of new skills
Cons
High Stress levels
Unethical Company
Financial Aid Advisor/Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 3, 2017
Unethical Company

For profit online education company, that encourages people without resources to obtain government loans, to then attend their schools at high prices and obtain worthless associate degree level educations.
Productive and fun employees
Inquiry Response Coordinator (IRC) (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 27, 2017
I love working with my fellow employees and colleagues. Although some days are stressful, as a team we are able to achieve each day successfully. The management however is not great.
Great compensation and constant change due to government compliance
National Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 18, 2017
At CEC a typical day is a rare occurrence. I worked with potential students that each had their own story and issues to overcome in order to get an education. I learned how to "peel the onion" and to listen when interviewing a potential student as well as how to be an integral component of a team based environment. I believe the most difficult obstacle at CEC was the inconsistency of the various managerial styles which ranged from extremely supportive to motivation through intimidation. The most enjoyable aspect of CEC was the opportunity to turn an individual's life around through supporting that individual through the admission, financial aid and successfully earning their degree.
Pros
Self Fulfilment
Cons
Inconsistent leadership
High Stress Department With 50 Plans
Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Career Education CorporationFebruary 2, 2017
The department is really stressful. I have worked at other for-profit schools and here you are doing 3 peoples jobs. A lot of the rules are verbal making it a very confused place to work. There were no raises this year for anyone. Also no upward mobility. The few inside promotions are buddy buddy. I saw a person at the bottom of the department get promoted because their lunch buddies. The company likes to hire from the outside. Most Coaches leave after a year. There are 50 plans going at once. One day we are coaches one day we are advisors one day we are customer service. Throw a dart that is the plan for the month.
Pros
The corporate benefits are not bad
Cons
Completely confused higher ups
Making a Diffrence and building a carreer
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Great place to work. Great people. Fast pace in environment. I worked both in sales and the Information Side of the company. Great benefits.
Pros
Benefits, High pace Environment, Great co workers, Opportunity advancements
Cons
Financial Advancements
Productive and newly remodeled workplace with enjoyable environment
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 17, 2017
Nice job for a new workforce adult, a typical day starts out with logging into your workstation and joining the auto dialer to receive high volume of calls to transfer perspective student to admissions to enroll in online classes. The hardest part of the job was the possibility of irate caller and convincing them to continue to enroll for class and the continuous calls to people who never applied for classes. The most enjoyable part was having a caller excited about enrolling in class and actually passing them on to admissions. Co workers and management was very nice and also, I'm a easy person to get along with.
Pros
private work space and recreation rooms
Cons
Short breaks, no health care and no guarantee of enrolling students
Great people to work with
Live Chat Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 12, 2017
You do work with some great people on your teams there, however the managers make it hard for you to hit your numbers each month. They put unnecessary pressure on you and do not communicate well.
How did this happen?
Student Success Coach - CTU Online (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 6, 2017
The department is getting worse. Cohorts of students getting larger. There were no pay increases this year. The department is becoming a sales center. The department is not Student Success Coaching anymore. They rolled out an admissions (thats our sales team) attendance policy. Also call recording. It is micro managed. The policies change almost every day. All about keeping students even if they cannot read or write. Promotions based on who you are buddies with and who your friends are. Not much growth either.
Pros
Some health benefits. Work does not come home with you.
Cons
Not a career. The stress comes homes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Career Education Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5