Career Education Corporation

Career Education Corporation Employee Reviews

CEC in Technical Support
IT Associate Service Desk Technician (Former Employee), Elgin, ILJuly 27, 2015
Pros: initially good team work, discounted tuition
Cons: team work faltered when scaled up
The Technical Support Dept at CEC worked very well when it was about 20 employees or less. However, as it grew to become over 50 employees and weekly team meeting came to be less than monthly the team spirit faltered.

One great benefit was a significantly discounted tuition towards any CEC school that was work related. I did use that benefit but it did little to improve my advancement within CEC IT thus I looked to make a career change. Later, I learned that the entire department had been dissolved and outsourced overseas.
Very metric based
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Always full 40 hours
Cons: micromanaged breaks
It was a really good opportunity. Taught me how not to be so passive with customers, and learn how to convert customers from angry/mad, to relaxed, cool, calm and collective as well as engaged in the services I had to offer. It is temp-to-hire, and room for growth is very hard to get into.
Admissions Advisor
ADMISSIONS ADVISOR (Current Employee), Schuamburg, ILJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Seeing students graduate
Cons: Number focus
Work with potential students to educate on distance education. Assist in discovering short and long term goals, educating on the school, and starting classes.
Great people to work with but it just wasn't a good fit for me
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJuly 8, 2015
Pros: My own desk with storage as well as a lunch room with microwave and vending machines
Cons: Short breaks and the need to be more assertive on outbound calls
While I enjoyed all the wonderful people I had the opportunity to work with, I feel I wasn't able to completely fit in with the culture and all the requirements needed to do the job.
Productive fun work place with ping pong tables and pop a shot baskets.
QA Analyst (Current Employee), Elgin, ILJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great bonus, 401k, stocks, etc...
Cons: Healthcare plans have declined over the years
Great place to work with a wonderful well knowledged team of individuals who make working there enjoyable. Things can get pretty hectic and challenging at times but, hey that is expected of a company who is a leader in its industry.
Good benefits, Poor executive leadership
Admissions (Current Employee), schaumburg, ILJune 18, 2015
have worked with great co-workers. management has been a relatively good experience, but have seen executive leaders come and go over the past 7 years. CEC seems to have struggles maintaining a CEO amongst other executive positions.

The company seems to undergo constant change which can be both positive and negative, but follow thru with several proposed changes were not achieved. Compensation and benefits have declined over the years.
Senior Admissions Advisor/Admissions Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2015
Pros: Consistent feedback from managers
Cons: The commute
Great place to work for recent college graduates. Upbeat and fast paced environment. Great co-workers. Everyone motivated to help others. The hardest part is the commute! Public transportation is available. Enjoy helping people change their lives through online education.
Poor place to work.
Culinary Instructor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 8, 2015
Pros: They spend money on food and equipment.
Cons: Filthy dirty place. No one cleans up after themselves.
Lecture/lab set up is not very productive, time would be better spent in lab. Instructional materials very poor. Power points are repetitive from class to class. Recipes often do not work. Executive Chef treats employees like children. Instructors regularly call off.
Decent money, horrible company
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILJune 5, 2015
Pros: Pay $12/hr, people you work with are pretty cool
Cons: Everything else
I applied threw a temp agency and was told after 6 months of employment you would become perm with the companyand there was a pay raise. I have been here for a year and 3 months and I am still a temporary employee. The rate of pay is $12/hr. But the job is very redundant and you loose a piece of yourself to meet their metrics. There is no room for growth and you are in constant fear of loosing your job everyday.
good job work/life balance
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILJune 2, 2015
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: pay, ridiculous expectations
CEC is not in a stable place financial and has had major school closing. I very lucky to still have a job but since there has been major lay off the expectations for daily work load is ridiculous and there is no raises.
fun working place where you can meet your next best friend!
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJune 1, 2015
Pros: can take half hour lunches to get out earlier
Cons: unrealistic metrics
A typical day at work consist of running your own daily list and meeting your maanger expectations. I did learn how to multitask quick than I ever have with quality. The best part about the job I would say is your co- workers. You do not realize how close you are to one until one of them is gone or you get split apart. That also goes hand in hand with the hardest part of your job and also the disrespectful students you may get on the phones on a daily basis. I would say the most enjoyable part of the day is seeing that you have hit your metrics and meetings/bonding with your co workers and learning what to do to make daily task easier.
Positive and productive work environment
Student Success Coach (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 29, 2015
Cons: daily changing workflow
Work with students one-on-one daily via telephone, email, live chat,and interactive technology to provide academic support with their educational and career goals.
Fun co-workers, but terrible management
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 26, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers
Cons: Management
CEC is a great place to work to get some experience and meet great people. You are expected to multitask, which is great preparation for any job.

There is a lot of pressure to hit the expected numbers. You are always reminded that management can listen in on your phone calls at any time. There is way too much micro-managing and they make you feel like you are going to be let go as soon as you fail to reach your numbers. There is a lot of turnover, but everyone says the same thing when they leave- that the co-workers are really the only thing that makes leaving difficult.
High Tuition
ACADEMIC OPERATIONS (Former Employee), AtlantaMay 25, 2015
Pros: Good Programs
Cons: High Tuition
Schools offer great programs for students than can and will lead to good careers. The tuition is extremely high so it leads to students taking out loans for high interest rates or payment plans while in school.
Productive goal oriented workplace
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 24, 2015
Overall a great starting position if financial aid is what you're looking for. Because the company is for-profit many of the processes are tailored to that fact, which can result in student files being rushed along to make deadline. Downtime is restricted and accountability is extremely high for an entry level position.

Pros:
- Efficient Advisors and Team Leads
- Extremely friendly coworkers
- Knowledge base of management is exceptional

Cons:
- Feeling of micromanagement from Manager level and higher
- Hours aren't flexible
- Floor coverage is minimal
Fun workplace
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
Pros: fun
Cons: lack of upward mobility pay is low
great job/ life balance. Fun workplace great people. depending what position who work in there is room for upward mobility. Tuition reimbursement
Terrible Ethics
National Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), Beaverton, ORMay 7, 2015
If you work here, you are barely even a number to them. Every single person I worked with knew they were always on the chopping block. The incentives to move up were very high, but the company knew it was cheaper to fire people before they reached that level. Most people only make is 6-9 months. Do not work here. I have never cried myself to sleep so many nights in a row.
Call center Rep
Call Center Representative (Outbound) (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILApril 29, 2015
A typical day at work was very exciting and fast pace. You never knew what to expect on a phone call. I enjoyed helping people make a positive step in their lives.
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 28, 2015
Pros: Potlucks
Cons: Short breaks
Received a ton of calls, had to know how to multitask. (talk, use computer at the same time. Work around at least 20 coordinators at once
Learned alot there and enjoy my fellow coworkers
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILApril 27, 2015
Answering phone calls, setting up financial aid awards for students, coworkers are awesome to work with, how to set up financial aid for students.

1 2 3 4 5