CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

This is a good company to work for, for the right person
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDNovember 14, 2016
A typical day of working at CareFirst BCBS was very intensive with the calls that came in on a daily basis. I was given the minimal amount of training to do the job of a full service Customer Service Rep. but most of my training experience came from on the job training and with the little help of my Lead Rep when she was available. My co-workers loved my spirit and were helpful when they could be, but most of the time, I learned things on my own. Sometimes finding the right answer to a customer's inquiry may have taken a bit to find, but the satisfaction of helping a customer resolve their reason for calling, from beginning to end, was a pleasure for me. Again, this may be a good company to work for, but it was not a job that was meant for me to be there on a long term basis.
Pros
flexible work hours, work from home for permanent employees, good health benefits
Cons
health benefits not decent for temp employees
Awesome working environment, looking for something better.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2016
Awesome working environment, looking for something better. Good coordination with with my co workers as well as they are very much supportive. Management is also very much helpful.
Carefirst
Broker Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MD 21117October 10, 2016
Good Company to work. Enjoyed working with everyone across different teams and projects. Good benefits, Great and convenient location good cafeteria. Good people to work with.
Horrible Management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2016
CareFirst as a company provides nice items/discounts for their employees, but the management is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!Management can make or break a place.
Pros
Free items
Cons
Management, Management and Management
A place for good experience but with many issues
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 11, 2016
I worked at the Owings Mills location in finance. Starting pay is very low for the unexperienced. Corporate culture can tend to be poor with individuals employed for long periods of time who never were checked for their attitudes and ways of doing things. Some upper level management have very poor ways of communicating and putting forth objectives. It is very difficult to get a promotion and pay only slightly increases. The experience I gained was the most valuable part of my time there.
Pros
Vacation, Experience
Cons
Coworkers and management, low pay
Case Management/Medical Management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
The good thing about CareFirst was the coworkers, the ability to work from home when needed, benefits and reimbursement.
It's a very stressful environment due to unreasonable job performance expectations. Recommendations and improvements have been suggested by multiple employees to management but are often disregarded or snubbed. It is a stagnant position where you are unable to advance due to common, unfavorable performance reviews.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers, reimbursement
Cons
Management, micromanaging
Bcbs
Java Developer, Information Security Department (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2016
Working at BCBS was an excellent experience. I got to know new things and learned lot of new technology related things from my Tech lead and Project Manager.
Just like the government
Cool Person (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 6, 2016
People stay there for years. Not a challenge as most people have been there for 30 days and have been doing the same job for 30 years.
Pros
Very good health care benefits
Cons
Pay is terrible; People arent too intelligent. No challenge if you are smart and like to learn.
Great job if your not looking for advancement
Claims & Benefits Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2016
Carefirst is a great company to work for although the management is not always fair and sometimes show favoritism. I would recommend this job for anyone who is not looking for advancement. The job is critical and you deal with a lot of irate customers. I love my co-workers, there are many perks and rewards to working for Carefirst.
Pros
excellent benefits and great place to work if your not looking for advancement
Cons
no room for growth
Worst Place I've Ever Worked
Social Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2016
The management team loves to micro-manage yet none of them actually have the time to do so. In many cases I had to babysit my boss and beg her to approve things. I was in an area where things needed to be approved fast because the subject matter was kind of blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

I've never been more stressed at a job. I've never received less appreciation at a job. The higher-up's are sketchy and do terrible things to their employees who have given up their lives to make them look good.

Basically if you're cool with losing your soul and tirelessly working to appease a group of people who will never be happy - because they're not happy in their personal lives - then you'll do great here. If you're an actual human being... RUN FOR THE HILLS.
Pros
Free lunches, free swag, good health insurance coverage
Cons
Terrible management, petty co-workers, no opportunity for advancement
Typical Day at work
Claims Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 22, 2016
Typical day I am adjusting claims, supporting customer service representatives. Answering phones when the representatives need help. Directing inquires to Dental Directors as needed.
Pros
Excellent Benefits room for advancement.
GREAT place to work!
Admin. Asst. to the VP of Corporate Communications (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 18, 2016
I had a very tough working boss who also found time to make jokes. He taught me so very much in my years there. By far my favorite job!
Great management hindered by redundant processes
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 2, 2016
I am extremely lucky in that, in the Federal Employee Program, I am blessed with great upper management. They are fully invested in the total development of their staff and work tirelessly to retain their best people. However, in recent months there has been a push to blend three offices into one and in the ensuing transition, there has been a massive exodus of representatives due to the overwhelming work that the Owings Mills office was burdened with while the DC and Cascii offices went through training. I enjoy working with providers and members but the volume of work can be daunting at times, as much as 300 calls/cases in a week which leaves little time for the investigational side of claims case work. The clinical/insurance/medical side of the job is second nature to me but it can be difficult dealing with the emotional side of members when they have issues. I very much enjoy case work and correspondence and work to solve every issue as if its my own, each like its own little mystery.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Extremely high call volume with little time for case work
Friendly and comfortable work environment
Strategic Marketing Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 1, 2016
I am a full time intern here and CareFirst has been a wonderful experience. My team is very helpful in my professional development and has taught me many skills such as Microsoft Office and Research. The mist enjoyable part of my job is working on multiple different projects to expand my knowledge and the hardest part of my job is making assumptions based on data and research that I have compiled.
Overworked, No balance, No chance to move up, don't seek assistance from EEOC. They will retaliate and keep U from ever working anywhere ever again.
Implementation Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 17, 2016
After thousands of interviews and recruiters calling to give feedback, the reality is that CareFirst has me on a do not hire list that once companies ask for the last numbers of your SS#, the Company interests goes cold...Frozen Solid. They have ruined my career life as I am unemployable to work in my career. A 25+ yr seasoned professional in pursuit of Master's and PMP, and I can't get a job in my profession because of CareFirst BCBS. Attorney's are afraid to take the case... I won my EEOC case but with no compensation. By the time I realized the damage they have...it was too late. My faith keeps me alive though I have thought of ending it all. Thanks CareFirst and its slave existence mentality. What's the point of investing further in my career if I am blacklisted across the country? Management there has cast an Iron Curtain. Go at your own risk. You may walk in but you will be wheeled out to go 6ft under.
Pros
You will learn a lot.
Cons
You will regret it. MAFIA style management.
Good management, friendly co-workers, transparent leadership
Associate (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 5, 2016
Overall a good place to work with wonderful health benefits, 9 to 5 work life balance (for associates), and relatively transparent leadership from the CEO and below. Many employees have been with the company for 20+ years, which leads to experienced workers but also a bit of a separation from the old and the young.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not very age diverse
amazing commpany
Costumer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 1, 2016
Great company with solid vision for improving the health insurance landscape in the midst of the ever-complicated ACA regulations.
Pros
Great benefits, focus on healthy living with offerings of fitness classes throughout the workday.
Cons
Difficult to move-up (takes many years).
Unprofessional
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 18, 2016
I just recently quit there after 3 years. I found myself woring at least 48 hours a week and they still kept asking for me to work weekends and at home after my shift. My supervisor was worthless and clueless, not willing to help at all. Management is very manipulative and sneaky. I got so depressed that I dreaded coming into work. No job security, and theyou only give you a 15 minute break in an 8hr shift.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything except benefits
Excellent Benefits for CareFirst BlueCross
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 7, 2016
CareFirst definitely takes care of its employees and was one the largest Blue Crosses in the United States. Great balance betweeen work and home. This is something promoted from within the organization
Productive place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work. I learned a lot from there. Great customer service at all times. It was always a pleasure working there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield. Our community is ready to answer.