CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 18, 2016
I just recently quit there after 3 years. I found myself woring at least 48 hours a week and they still kept asking for me to work weekends and at home after my shift. My supervisor was worthless and clueless, not willing to help at all. Management is very manipulative and sneaky. I got so depressed that I dreaded coming into work. No job security, and theyou only give you a 15 minute break in an 8hr shift.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything except benefits
Good management, friendly co-workers, transparent leadership
Associate (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 5, 2016
Overall a good place to work with wonderful health benefits, 9 to 5 work life balance (for associates), and relatively transparent leadership from the CEO and below. Many employees have been with the company for 20+ years, which leads to experienced workers but also a bit of a separation from the old and the young.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not very age diverse
amazing commpany
Costumer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 1, 2016
Great company with solid vision for improving the health insurance landscape in the midst of the ever-complicated ACA regulations.
Pros
Great benefits, focus on healthy living with offerings of fitness classes throughout the workday.
Cons
Difficult to move-up (takes many years).
Extreme micromanagement, no chance for advancement, undermining
rn case manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 23, 2015
If you are looking for a company that provides opportunity for advancement, dont look here. Supervisors and managers never leave their jobs, there is minimal opportunity for advancement. The management rules by extreme micromanagement, unattainable productivity goals, back stabbing and unprofessional, undermining behavior. They stay in their positions for years as upper management does not care how the work gets done as long as their "numbers" look good, which is basically to work the employees to the bone. Overtime is pretty much mandatory and unpaid, you are told you are "a professional" and therefore you are paid a salary and you are told " do what it takes to get the job done." Evenings, weekends, work all the time. The only time you are not working to death is when you are on PTO. PTO is generous however you are worked so hard that you end up taking lots of it. Unfortunately the work environment has only gotten worse as the company struggles to adjust to the impact of the Affordable Health Care Act on their finances, of which they are now taking out on their employees. If you are looking for work- family- balance with opportunities for professional growth, positive work environment, you will need to look elsewhere.
Pros
PTO, health benefits.
Cons
Extreme micromanagement, unattainable productivity and "quality" goals. Unpaid OT.
great enviorment to work in, had great realtionships with coworkers
Pre Service Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2015
data entry, set up case for the nurses to review to see if they met medical guidelines to be approved, look up benefits, answer phones and update providers and patient of denials/approvals. Assit nurses in any way possible, pick up faxes, process them, and make sure the nurse has all info needed to review the request. file charts, pull charts as needed.
Pros
very family focused company
Cons
was not able to work from home, after move was to far to travel
Worst Place I've Ever Worked
Social Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2016
The management team loves to micro-manage yet none of them actually have the time to do so. In many cases I had to babysit my boss and beg her to approve things. I was in an area where things needed to be approved fast because the subject matter was kind of blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

I've never been more stressed at a job. I've never received less appreciation at a job. The higher-up's are sketchy and do terrible things to their employees who have given up their lives to make them look good.

Basically if you're cool with losing your soul and tirelessly working to appease a group of people who will never be happy - because they're not happy in their personal lives - then you'll do great here. If you're an actual human being... RUN FOR THE HILLS.
Pros
Free lunches, free swag, good health insurance coverage
Cons
Terrible management, petty co-workers, no opportunity for advancement
A place for good experience but with many issues
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 11, 2016
I worked at the Owings Mills location in finance. Starting pay is very low for the unexperienced. Corporate culture can tend to be poor with individuals employed for long periods of time who never were checked for their attitudes and ways of doing things. Some upper level management have very poor ways of communicating and putting forth objectives. It is very difficult to get a promotion and pay only slightly increases. The experience I gained was the most valuable part of my time there.
Pros
Vacation, Experience
Cons
Coworkers and management, low pay
Case Management/Medical Management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
The good thing about CareFirst was the coworkers, the ability to work from home when needed, benefits and reimbursement.
It's a very stressful environment due to unreasonable job performance expectations. Recommendations and improvements have been suggested by multiple employees to management but are often disregarded or snubbed. It is a stagnant position where you are unable to advance due to common, unfavorable performance reviews.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers, reimbursement
Cons
Management, micromanaging
Great job if your not looking for advancement
Claims & Benefits Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2016
Carefirst is a great company to work for although the management is not always fair and sometimes show favoritism. I would recommend this job for anyone who is not looking for advancement. The job is critical and you deal with a lot of irate customers. I love my co-workers, there are many perks and rewards to working for Carefirst.
Pros
excellent benefits and great place to work if your not looking for advancement
Cons
no room for growth
Great company, knowledgeable and caring CEO.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 24, 2015
Pros
Cons
Difficult to move-up (takes many years).
Great management hindered by redundant processes
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 2, 2016
I am extremely lucky in that, in the Federal Employee Program, I am blessed with great upper management. They are fully invested in the total development of their staff and work tirelessly to retain their best people. However, in recent months there has been a push to blend three offices into one and in the ensuing transition, there has been a massive exodus of representatives due to the overwhelming work that the Owings Mills office was burdened with while the DC and Cascii offices went through training. I enjoy working with providers and members but the volume of work can be daunting at times, as much as 300 calls/cases in a week which leaves little time for the investigational side of claims case work. The clinical/insurance/medical side of the job is second nature to me but it can be difficult dealing with the emotional side of members when they have issues. I very much enjoy case work and correspondence and work to solve every issue as if its my own, each like its own little mystery.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Extremely high call volume with little time for case work
Overworked, No balance, No chance to move up, don't seek assistance from EEOC. They will retaliate and keep U from ever working anywhere ever again.
Implementation Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 17, 2016
After thousands of interviews and recruiters calling to give feedback, the reality is that CareFirst has me on a do not hire list that once companies ask for the last numbers of your SS#, the Company interests goes cold...Frozen Solid. They have ruined my career life as I am unemployable to work in my career. A 25+ yr seasoned professional in pursuit of Master's and PMP, and I can't get a job in my profession because of CareFirst BCBS. Attorney's are afraid to take the case... I won my EEOC case but with no compensation. By the time I realized the damage they have...it was too late. My faith keeps me alive though I have thought of ending it all. Thanks CareFirst and its slave existence mentality. What's the point of investing further in my career if I am blacklisted across the country? Management there has cast an Iron Curtain. Go at your own risk. You may walk in but you will be wheeled out to go 6ft under.
Pros
You will learn a lot.
Cons
You will regret it. MAFIA style management.
Friendly and comfortable work environment
Strategic Marketing Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 1, 2016
I am a full time intern here and CareFirst has been a wonderful experience. My team is very helpful in my professional development and has taught me many skills such as Microsoft Office and Research. The mist enjoyable part of my job is working on multiple different projects to expand my knowledge and the hardest part of my job is making assumptions based on data and research that I have compiled.
Just like the government
Cool Person (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 6, 2016
People stay there for years. Not a challenge as most people have been there for 30 days and have been doing the same job for 30 years.
Pros
Very good health care benefits
Cons
Pay is terrible; People arent too intelligent. No challenge if you are smart and like to learn.
Nice place to work
Sales Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDAugust 17, 2015
Nice work environment, co-workers were easy to work with. Lots of red tape and politics.

Benefits were very good, especially health insurance.
Benefits
Cons
Some of the management team
Horrible Management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2016
CareFirst as a company provides nice items/discounts for their employees, but the management is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!Management can make or break a place.
Pros
Free items
Cons
Management, Management and Management
Bcbs
Java Developer, Information Security Department (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2016
Working at BCBS was an excellent experience. I got to know new things and learned lot of new technology related things from my Tech lead and Project Manager.
Typical Day at work
Claims Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 22, 2016
Typical day I am adjusting claims, supporting customer service representatives. Answering phones when the representatives need help. Directing inquires to Dental Directors as needed.
Pros
Excellent Benefits room for advancement.
Secured job with many opportunity for growth both personal and professional.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2013
As a Customer Service Specialist the biggest part of my time was to assist my co-workers with resolving issues that they could not resolve. I learned how to train and coach effectively. Management was always supportive and opened to new Ideals. My team of co-workers was the best. They respected me and appreciated my leadership. I strived to resolve all issues on a first time call, sometimes a problem would need to be sent to another department prior to final resolution, it was hard not to satisfy the customer on the first time call. It was most satisfying when I would be able to resolve a claim and advise my customer your claim has been adjusted and your check will go out at close of business.
Pros
great healthcare benefits, paid leave and fitness center
Cons
no flexx time.
Don't do it!! If you work there you must drink the KoolAid!
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 6, 2013
I left this place of work in 2008 and then the organization was going through all sorts of changes. Executives, management, and employees were fired or layed-off by association or relationship. Even though I was neither, I find Carefirst lacking integrity. Who they call managers are not fit to be a manager by far... mostly needing more education and training. BTW, I receive calls all the time from recruiters for this place only to turn them down. Hoped my two cents helped you make a decision.
Pros
benefits maybe
Cons
small salary increase if promoted to new position

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Reviews by Location