CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews in United States

Unprofessional
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 18, 2016
I just recently quit there after 3 years. I found myself woring at least 48 hours a week and they still kept asking for me to work weekends and at home after my shift. My supervisor was worthless and clueless, not willing to help at all. Management is very manipulative and sneaky. I got so depressed that I dreaded coming into work. No job security, and theyou only give you a 15 minute break in an 8hr shift.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything except benefits
Good management, friendly co-workers, transparent leadership
Associate (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 5, 2016
Overall a good place to work with wonderful health benefits, 9 to 5 work life balance (for associates), and relatively transparent leadership from the CEO and below. Many employees have been with the company for 20+ years, which leads to experienced workers but also a bit of a separation from the old and the young.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not very age diverse
amazing commpany
Costumer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 1, 2016
Great company with solid vision for improving the health insurance landscape in the midst of the ever-complicated ACA regulations.
Pros
Great benefits, focus on healthy living with offerings of fitness classes throughout the workday.
Cons
Difficult to move-up (takes many years).
Typical Day at work
Claims Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 22, 2016
Typical day I am adjusting claims, supporting customer service representatives. Answering phones when the representatives need help. Directing inquires to Dental Directors as needed.
Pros
Excellent Benefits room for advancement.
Excellent Benefits for CareFirst BlueCross
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 7, 2016
CareFirst definitely takes care of its employees and was one the largest Blue Crosses in the United States. Great balance betweeen work and home. This is something promoted from within the organization
great enviorment to work in, had great realtionships with coworkers
Pre Service Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2015
data entry, set up case for the nurses to review to see if they met medical guidelines to be approved, look up benefits, answer phones and update providers and patient of denials/approvals. Assit nurses in any way possible, pick up faxes, process them, and make sure the nurse has all info needed to review the request. file charts, pull charts as needed.
Pros
very family focused company
Cons
was not able to work from home, after move was to far to travel
Fun place to work
Credentialing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 25, 2015
A typical day was going through your report to see what I needed to work on for that day. Management were very knowledgeable and informative. My co-workers were pleasant to work with. Management made all new transitions easy, nothing hard about the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was my being there 12 years.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No room for career growth
GREAT place to work!
Admin. Asst. to the VP of Corporate Communications (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 18, 2016
I had a very tough working boss who also found time to make jokes. He taught me so very much in my years there. By far my favorite job!
Overworked, No balance, No chance to move up, don't seek assistance from EEOC. They will retaliate and keep U from ever working anywhere ever again.
Implementation Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 17, 2016
After thousands of interviews and recruiters calling to give feedback, the reality is that CareFirst has me on a do not hire list that once companies ask for the last numbers of your SS#, the Company interests goes cold...Frozen Solid. They have ruined my career life as I am unemployable to work in my career. A 25+ yr seasoned professional in pursuit of Master's and PMP, and I can't get a job in my profession because of CareFirst BCBS. Attorney's are afraid to take the case... I won my EEOC case but with no compensation. By the time I realized the damage they have...it was too late. My faith keeps me alive though I have thought of ending it all. Thanks CareFirst and its slave existence mentality. What's the point of investing further in my career if I am blacklisted across the country? Management there has cast an Iron Curtain. Go at your own risk. You may walk in but you will be wheeled out to go 6ft under.
Pros
You will learn a lot.
Cons
You will regret it. MAFIA style management.
Great management hindered by redundant processes
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 2, 2016
I am extremely lucky in that, in the Federal Employee Program, I am blessed with great upper management. They are fully invested in the total development of their staff and work tirelessly to retain their best people. However, in recent months there has been a push to blend three offices into one and in the ensuing transition, there has been a massive exodus of representatives due to the overwhelming work that the Owings Mills office was burdened with while the DC and Cascii offices went through training. I enjoy working with providers and members but the volume of work can be daunting at times, as much as 300 calls/cases in a week which leaves little time for the investigational side of claims case work. The clinical/insurance/medical side of the job is second nature to me but it can be difficult dealing with the emotional side of members when they have issues. I very much enjoy case work and correspondence and work to solve every issue as if its my own, each like its own little mystery.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Extremely high call volume with little time for case work

Want to know more about CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield?

Ask a question
Productive place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work. I learned a lot from there. Great customer service at all times. It was always a pleasure working there
Great company, knowledgeable and caring CEO.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 24, 2015
Pros
Cons
Difficult to move-up (takes many years).
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 2, 2015
I was a customer service representative for one year. Training was excellent. The trainers and staff made the company seem perfect. I was excited to be placed on the floor to start taking phone calls. What they did not tell us in training was that we would have an overwhelming amount of unresolvable issues. There was no time to work on these issues that were piling up. They also failed to mention that it would be difficult (almost impossible) to get a supervisor to speak with a member when requested. The supervisors don't put forth any effort to escalate inquires for irate members. You are pretty much alone unless you can find another CSR that has been there for years and is willing to help. Out of the 19 people that I started training with, there are only 3 left standing in a years time. Turn around rate is horrible.
Pros
three weeks of PTO
Cons
Everything but PTO
A good workplace
Data Center Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 23, 2015
It was my first experience in a corporate environment so i don't have much to experience with which to compare. A friendly workplace that didn't feel very restrictive despite the security. Many long time employees with 15-20+ years working there. The commute from and back to Baltimore was tiresome particularly with heavy traffic.
Pros
telecommute options, free catered lunch once a month, frequent breaks
Great Environment Competetive Title
Contract Technician II (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills MDJuly 23, 2015
A typical day requires accurate time mangagement and filing of records, correspondence, and keeping up to date on all assignments and (health regulations). The challenge is staying in the loop of all area's affected by a change and multi-tasking while completing timely accurate work, the best part is the supportive nature all departments have to deliver quality everyday.
Enrollment and Billing Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2015
i like working there. The company provides a very friendly environment. It seems like there is many opportunity to grow in the company.
Nice place to work
Sales Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDAugust 17, 2015
Nice work environment, co-workers were easy to work with. Lots of red tape and politics.

Benefits were very good, especially health insurance.
Benefits
Cons
Some of the management team
Great work and life balance company
SRA Financial Settlement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 22, 2015
Typical work involves providing information needed by the sales rep ,groups and brokers. Providing any information that they may need as well as working on my case load. This company provides a lot of learning opportunities , has great co workers and management and going to work each morning and accomplishing what you have to do for the day is quite fulfilling.
good job
Linux/ Windows System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 10, 2015
Good balance between work/life/ Productive and innovative environment. Enjoy working with the company and interacting with c-workers. I will definitely recommend this company and position
awful workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 27, 2015
The job was very unprofessional.... I felt as if my hard work was needed rewarded..i would recommend this job to anyone. management was sneaky... my job didn't feel secure. overall my co-workers was great!
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks and lunches