CareStar Employee Reviews

Respectful, Caring, great benefits
Licensed Social Worker, Assessor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 7, 2015
The core values of the company are not only communicated, but actually lived on a daily basis. This company fosters caring and compassionate individuals. The benefits of this company are far above any I have experienced in my career
Pros
respectful, caring, great benefits, balanced life/work schedule
Cons
uncertainty of continued job due to contracts
Telecommuting position
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 22, 2015
Good company that tries to look out for its employees. The work can be overwhelming. You must be driven and very organized to have any chance of completing the job.
Pros
Telecommuting position
Cons
Smaller company that struggles to compete with larger ones
fulfilling
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHSeptember 21, 2015
detailed oriented. Up to date information and policies are self explanatory. The hardest part of the job is maintaining daily records of clients in a uniform strategy.
Scheduling applicants to assess for waiver-healthcheck-programs-travel to homes-hospitals-nursing homes for assessments.
Assessment Specialist (RN) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 3, 2015
Worked as a RN Assessor. Supportive team and management . Vast education of diversity of cultures. Enjoyed the learning and growth within the company. Traveling time has increased
A great place to work.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2015
A Case Manager's role at CareStar encompasses a great deal of responsibilities that assure the health and safety of an individual. Case Manager makes required phone contact with the individual's at least once every 30 days and home visits at least once every 60 days. Case Manager's develop an All Services Plan that includes all paid services and everyone involved on the care plan. The management works closely along with the Case Manager and provides supervision necessary to make sure the needs of the individual is being met. Co-Workers show support to one another by being available for questions and to share ideas with. The most challenging part of this job is that the amount work expected from the Case Manager is difficult to complete Monday-Friday and often requires working on the weekends to keep caught up. The most enjoyable part of this job is the ability to meet directly with the individuals and building the rapport necessary to gain their trust which helps meet their needs more successfully.
Pros
Working from home and having direct contact with individuals.
Cons
A con of this position is that one is required to work weekends in order to remain compliant.
work from home but overwhelming amount of work expected
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 27, 2015
Caseload of 45-50. Case managers work from home but overwhelming amount of work expected. Direct Supervisors are understanding.
Pros
work from home
Cons
overwhelming amount of work expected
I have met some wonderful people
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 17, 2015
This company is great for people with young children, I was able to make my own schedule and choose the patients I wanted. I learned the value of hard work and dedication and patience.
Pros
i could make my own shcedule
Excellent Atmoshere
Home Health Aid (Former Employee) –  Newark, OhDecember 27, 2014
Very enjoyable place to work. Loved the hours and various shifts for easy access for scheduling.
All major holidays we were off.
Home Modification Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 18, 2014
The employees are friendly and easy to work with.My supervisor was great and was always there to help you if you needed it. We get all the major holidays off.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no advancement, no fun activities for employees
pediatric home care
LPN (Current Employee) –  out of Columbus, OHJuly 23, 2014
doing what ever is required with current client. i have monitored clients for seizures and worked with kids on vents.
Pros
flexable hours, pay good
Cons
not consistent, no job security
Position in Company no longer exists
IMIRS Investigator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 20, 2014
When stated with company 8 years prior, it was a great company but things changed over the last 8 years. New VP and New Management team did not care about staff and did not care about what you had to do.
Items Changed with regard to care provided.
CM completed investigation into abuse, neglect etc..
Documentation in system easy.
No support from new Management led to this CM leaving the position
Productive and Schedule
Case Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioApril 18, 2014
My day starts with checking my email and looking at my spreadsheets.

I have learned a lot about Medicaid and the State's process regarding Medicaid.

Sometimes it is difficult being able to talk to or see management.

I treat my co-workers with respect, regardless of how I am treating. I also try my best to keep a smile on my face.

The hardest part of my job is, everybody not being on the same page when it comes to processes.

The most enjoyable part of my job is performing different tasks.
Pros
flexible schedule and location
Cons
benefits and work enviroment
Overworked
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  HomeDecember 10, 2013
I loved doing Case Management with CareStar, Inc. However d/t lack of staff cases sored to 60+ with the state expection to be 25-45.
Days started at 8 am - after 5pm
Casemanagement skills were sharpened.
Management became new and expections were increased
Coworkers were great.
Hardest part of my job is d/t the amount of consumers I felt I was only bandaiding the problem and not addressing the root. People were fallng through the cracks. Health and Safety could not be guaranteed.
I absolutely loved the consumers. Most were very articulate with concerns and I did not have to "pull" information from them. They never refused to answer any question. I was assigned consumers that were "case manager" hopping because I had a track record of keeping them for well over a year.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
inability to have reduced caseloads
Good place to work.
Independent Provider (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2013
Caring and responsible work atmosphere meeting new people.
CareStar is an excellent company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone who might be interested.
Provider Oversight (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2013
Overall, CareStar has been an excellent place to work. The president of the company has outstanding values and treats his employees fairly. The health insurance is poor, but they offer ESOP as well as a 401K.

CareStar is a private comapny contracted by the state to oversee the Ohio Home Care Waiver Program. This program allows consumers who utilize Medicaid to receive care in their homes vs. in a nursing facility. CareStar recently lost the bid to continue Provider Oversight to another company. As a result, my position was phased out and there are no positions within the company available to me that I'm interested in. But, I've been there for 9 years and am ready for a change and a move in a different direction.

A typical day at work would involve preparing for my reviews and audits of the independent providers that take care of our OHC Waiver consumers. Once the prep work was done, the reviews would take place. I also trained and educated providers and reported on compliance issues.

In my job doing provider oversight, I've learned a complete new skill set that I hope to draw upon to carry me into my next position. I also hope to build on those skills and grow even more.

My co-workers were generally wonderful. But, I worked from home 3 days a week so I really didn't have a lot of interaction with them on a regular basis. My immediate supervisor did not micro-manage and was accessible to me when I needed assistance.

The toughest part of the job was having to deal with some of the providers lack of professionalism and inability to understand the rules of their practice after
  more... being educated several times.

I loved the flexible schedule and being able to work from home several days a week.
Pros
flexible hours, able to work from home, ample vacation time, esop, 401k
Cons
poor health benefits, repetitious nature of the job
Pay is wonderful
Infrastructure Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2013
Compensation, excluding benefits is above average. Executive Management is detached from workforce and only cares about the bottom line. Employees are expected to work long hours without compensation. Upper management can be intimidating and boorish.
Pros
carestar pays above industry norms
Cons
healthcare, hostile work environment
Hard Work and Some Fun
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Canfield, OHJanuary 10, 2013
-able to supervise and care for children with special needs -preparation of meals
-able to handle emergency situations efficiently
-perform housekeeping duties
-display patience, playfulness, and a good sense of humor
-First Aid and CPR certified
-Hardest part of the job was to not get emotionally attached with child
- most enjoyable part of the job was watching the child grow
Pros
work experience, i was making a difference, lots of activities
Cons
everyone has bad days
Great start to my career.
Multimedia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 5, 2012
CareStar was my first "real" employer and I learned more than I could have ever imagined while work at CareStar. It was an excellent place to start my career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CareStar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7