CareStar

CareStar Employer Reviews

Overworked
Case Manager (Former Employee), HomeDecember 10, 2013
Pros: worked from home
Cons: inability to have reduced caseloads
I loved doing Case Management with CareStar, Inc. However d/t lack of staff cases sored to 60+ with the state expection to be 25-45.
Days started at 8 am - after 5pm
Casemanagement skills were sharpened.
Management became new and expections were increased
Coworkers were great.
Hardest part of my job is d/t the amount of consumers I felt I was only bandaiding – more... the problem and not addressing the root. People were fallng through the cracks. Health and Safety could not be guaranteed.
I absolutely loved the consumers. Most were very articulate with concerns and I did not have to "pull" information from them. They never refused to answer any question. I was assigned consumers that were "case manager" hopping because I had a track record of keeping them for well over a year. – less
Good place to work.
Independent Provider (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2013
Caring and responsible work atmosphere meeting new people.
CareStar is an excellent company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone who might be interested.
Provider Oversight (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, able to work from home, ample vacation time, esop, 401k
Cons: poor health benefits, repetitious nature of the job
Overall, CareStar has been an excellent place to work. The president of the company has outstanding values and treats his employees fairly. The health insurance is poor, but they offer ESOP as well as a 401K.

CareStar is a private comapny contracted by the state to oversee the Ohio Home Care Waiver Program. This program allows consumers who utilize – more... Medicaid to receive care in their homes vs. in a nursing facility. CareStar recently lost the bid to continue Provider Oversight to another company. As a result, my position was phased out and there are no positions within the company available to me that I'm interested in. But, I've been there for 9 years and am ready for a change and a move in a different direction.

A typical day at work would involve preparing for my reviews and audits of the independent providers that take care of our OHC Waiver consumers. Once the prep work was done, the reviews would take place. I also trained and educated providers and reported on compliance issues.

In my job doing provider oversight, I've learned a complete new skill set that I hope to draw upon to carry me into my next position. I also hope to build on those skills and grow even more.

My co-workers were generally wonderful. But, I worked from home 3 days a week so I really didn't have a lot of interaction with them on a regular basis. My immediate supervisor did not micro-manage and was accessible to me when I needed assistance.

The toughest part of the job was having to deal with some of the providers lack of professionalism and inability to understand the rules of their practice after being educated several times.

I loved the flexible schedule and being able to work from home several days a week. – less
Pay is wonderful
Infrastructure Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2013
Pros: carestar pays above industry norms
Cons: healthcare, hostile work environment
Compensation, excluding benefits is above average. Executive Management is detached from workforce and only cares about the bottom line. Employees are expected to work long hours without compensation. Upper management can be intimidating and boorish.
Hard Work and Some Fun
Personal Aide (Former Employee), Canfield, OHJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: work experience, i was making a difference, lots of activities
Cons: everyone has bad days
-able to supervise and care for children with special needs -preparation of meals
-able to handle emergency situations efficiently
-perform housekeeping duties
-display patience, playfulness, and a good sense of humor
-First Aid and CPR certified
-Hardest part of the job was to not get emotionally attached with child
- most enjoyable part of the job – more... was watching the child grow – less
Great start to my career.
Multimedia Specialist (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 5, 2012
CareStar was my first "real" employer and I learned more than I could have ever imagined while work at CareStar. It was an excellent place to start my career.