Cargill

Cargill Employer Reviews

Productive and Exciting Place to work
Plant Manager (Former Employee), Weatherford, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: good health care, progressive fast track career moves
Cons: locations are country towns in the middle of nowhere
There is no typical day as a Plant Manager, dealing with people is always a challenge but very fun and demanding. I have learned how to negotiate and land international deals. How to successfully manage teams, ranging from 12-90 employees. The most enjoyable part working for Cargill Inc.was the continuous changes that were being implemented.
Great place to work at
Templer (Former Employee), Fort Morgan, COFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great insurance
Cons: bad supervisor and poor cleaning
Over all great place and nice. I learn how the company ran and how to improve the safety of the co-workers. Co-workers were fun and helpful. Hardest part of the job was learning it, keeping up and making every cut clean. The best part of the job was being able to make friends and make time pass by.
productive
Forklift operator (Current Employee), Sidney, OHFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: build your way up in the company fast!
Cons: wont hire in temps/ sub contractors
if you want to work long hours and be a temp at the same time with no benefits then this is the place to go. If you can get hired in full time. you can build your way up pretty fast.
Excellent Company to work for
Operator (Current Employee), MichiganFebruary 13, 2015
I have worked for Cargill for 2 and a half years now and they are a great company to work for and very safety oriented. I can easily recommend Cargill as a employer of choice.
I was fortunate to work for Cargill it provided and increase in knowledge of plant operations and safety job training.
Field operator (Former Employee), Hammond, INFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: 8 hour schedule, 401k, insurance
Cons: not competitive with wages and saw no chance for job growth
I was a field operator responsible for quality assurance of steeping and grinding corn by using the Delta V and Rosemount computers in the wet milling process. I enjoyed the team work and the relationship build with my co-workers. Management changed as the company changed from American Maize to Cerestar then Cargill. I watched it changed from a small company to becoming a part of big business and with the transition the team effort between management and employee decreased. The hardest part about this job was the challenge of maintaining a safe working environment while working with the railroad cars and tracks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge learn that allowed me to improve in job safety.
Unlimited possibilities.
CTS Operator (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, iaFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: unlimited earning potential
Cons: many hours required
12-16 hour shifts. Take samples of product every 2 hours and made adjustments as needed. Clean area on a daily basis. monitor all systems that changed product from raw materials to a completed product. Changed over equipment as scheduled in a safe and timely manner.
Long hours without the flexibility to get the job done
supervisor (Former Employee), milwaukee,wiFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: healthcare is pretty good, but all costs are being passed on to the employees
Cons: work longer hours with more of a work load without compensation
No fun at cargill,just work harder and harder,always putting more and more on your plate without compensation,its all about the bottom line,nothing else matters including its employees,they dont put alot into the company,just enough to skirt the state and federal policys
A very busy workplace
General Laborer (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: learning how our meats get packaged
Cons: getting mis-treated
A typical day at work would be to push hogs down a bay, I learned how to use knives properly and process meat. Management was alright. They were kinda rude. The co-workers were alright they did what their job was reuired to do. I would say the hardest part of the job would be to put up with the managers not really caring about the employees. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job for me would be I got to learn how to process meat which I never knew how to do before.
Great organization
Senior Director (Current Employee), Wayzata, MNFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: global with purpose
Lead for the benefit of the led.....create shareholder value by focusing on the environment, people and economics. Focus on risk mitigation, cost management and brand differentiation. This is done by and through balancing the right people, with simplified processes and enabling technologies.
Manufactory environment
Client Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAFebruary 1, 2015
Full cycle human resources for manufacturing facility, include payroll, LOAs and labor relations. Work well with management team to implement change and incorporate new processes.
Meat packing
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAFebruary 1, 2015
Work was not very hard. Management was hard to find at times when needed. Not able to do anything on your own had to make sure management agreed with it.
Good Job
Operator (Current Employee), Hammond, INJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: large turn around rate
Good job, decent benefits, good overtime pay, lots of hours.
it was fine
General Worker (Current Employee), Ottumwa, IAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: rewarded for multipule days gone without an accident.
Cons: not nearly enough pay.
Employer expected employees to train others off the street for the same pay as the new employees. Radios were positioned for employees to listen to as they worked. Required to take "random" drug/alcohol test once a month. Crazy employees get hired on easily. The job is a constant revolving door.
Excellent People w Poor Management
Senior SAP Design Consultant (Former Employee), Hopkins, MNJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: management & no upward mobility
Cargill attempted to run an SAP implementation and staffed the management team with individuals with no IT project management experience. The management did not know how to effectively scope, prioritize, or drive completion of the appropriate tasks. Instead, they over relied on the integrator (Accenture) to advise.

Co workers were great with an overall desire to collaborate and contribute.
Great place to work if you want your job to be your life
Accountant (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: nice compensation
Cons: no real breaks, the company owns you
I'll go through this star by star.

Work/life balance gets 1 star because they want you to work ALL THE TIME. You're on salary and majorly frowned upon if you're putting in less than 50 hours a week. They will want you to volunteer to work weekends without notice, and if you don't volunteer, they will eventually find a way to force you to.

Compensation/benefits gets 3 stars because they do compensate you decently. However, hour for hour, you can easily make more somewhere else. They give you more vacation time than most places (I started off with three weeks) but generally for every vacation day you take, you'll also spend an extra 8-10 hours covering someone else's vacation. It's very common to work for 4-6 hours and then leave, and call that a vacation day. They also give you a laptop so you can work during sick days and while on vacation. The 401k and profit share is decent, with 4.5% matching on the 401k.

Job security/advancement gets 4 stars. They seem to make a good effort to keep their people. Advancement is pretty much a given; they expect you to move up and up. Each time you're promoted you will also be relocated and generally have a heavier workload. They expect you to do this every few years for at least your first 10 years with the company, so if you like having friendships or settling down, you can kiss that goodbye for a while. In retrospect, this seems like a tactic to make your networking useless so you have no choice but to stay with the company.

Management gets 2 stars. The management was awful at the Fresno facility. They really seemed like they actively hated the employees, both the laborers and other administrative people. Other facilities didn't seem as bad in this area though, so they get an extra star.

Job culture gets a 1. Very hard to make friends unless you agree with their "your job IS your life" culture.
A miserable place to work, I don't recommend it to anyone looking to advance within the company.
Pellet Mill Operator (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: pays more than some companies in that area
Cons: instead of paying for healthcare they have you in a group plan for hourly employees, therefore you can obtain a better one searching for yourself.
A typical day start's with a safety briefing, yet they never fix the danger's within the plant but have you sign a form saying that you are working in a safe environment. What I learned was Pellet Mill Operation and what it takes to make animal feed. Management was dishonest. I was told to take test to advance. 2 1/2 months prior to me finishing training. When the test was passed, I was told that I was not a fit. I hired in as Maintenance but was given a different pay scale and duties that did not include maintenance. They hired less qualified maintenance people under me who had friends there. I had to deal with religious discrimination. Employees are afraid that outsider's want their jobs, so it creates a dog eat dog environment. Management listen's to these same employees in regard's to new hire's. No work to life balance. Working as a temp, you may be promised full time employment, yet it never happens regardless of performance. It was a very old, dirty and outdated plant. Maintenance Supervisor knew nothing of his job besides paperwork. Breakdown's occur too often which creates mandatory work situations. They have a union in place with incompetent worker's at the head. The plant manager is dishonest and vague about expectations, except more tons of feed. The hardest part of the job is listening to the lies of management and worker's using cut-throat tactics to remove a threat like a new hire and coming home as dirty as a pig with no fulfillment. The most enjoyable part was that the time flew by quickly by staying busy.
decent place to work
Shipper and Receiver (Current Employee), Butler, WIJanuary 28, 2015
job can be good money but be prepared to not have a life. I learned a lot at this company but at my own discretion. I found a lot of people don't like to train you properly so I hope you have good observation skills if being employed by this company.
Productive and a fun workplace with lot good eating
Process Technician (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: always cooking and having fun time with management and co-workers
Cons: to much eating
This is a GREAT Company to work for Management is great. And the people are so good to work with.
No work/life balance, management quality needs improvement
Lab Technician II / Quality Assurance (Temporary) (Former Employee), Gainesville, GAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: pay, free lunch
Cons: always busy, few breaks, gossip, departments blame on each other
Manufacturing environment
Long hours of standing
Departments blame on each other
Superior is not approachable, full of bias to some employees
no life, company opens 24/7, can't choose own shifts
training sucks, unclear SOP, different ppl say different things
lab is dirty and full of grease everywhere; they should hire cleaning company to clean the lab every day
co-workers hate their jobs and gossip a lot
Good
Sr. Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Good onsite for Accenture resources. nice company very old and stable

About Cargill

Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, – Read more

Cargill Salaries