Cargill Employee Reviews

Fast paced, Team work
Forklift Driver/Palletizer/Laborer/Lead man (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSDecember 21, 2012
Clock in and get information on any special orders needed for the night. Inform other employees what position the will be working at that night. Get paper work needed for the trailer that is in the door to be finished. Load trailers and check paper work with employee in office to ensure the trailer is loaded with all the proper product. I honed my leadership skills to help ensure that work being done by all employees is acceptable to the customer. The co-workers are willing to help were its needed to get the job done in timely manner. The hardest part of the job, is when certain product was put on the wrong trailer and you have to find that product to be removed and place it on the correct trailer without damaging any other product. The most enjoyable part of the job was that i worked nights, which let me spnd time with my family before and after work.
Pros
discounts on meat products, shift pay, family time
Cons
slept during day
Good work environment, good company to work for
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COApril 16, 2015
We maintained conveyors, machinery to keep the plant operational, did welding when needed, had to work within safety guidelines, did some fabricating when the job required it, this was all done on a daily basis. Learned how to work within a team. I followed the rules to the strictest of guidelines, so the management and I worked very well together. As for my co-workers, I worked very well with all of them, we did a lot of teamwork. The hardest part of the job would have to be the amount of hours that they wanted each person to put in, on a daily basis. There were times when I would work an extensively long period of time. The most enjoyable part would be that every day things seemed to be different, the jobs, the work we were asked to do, just a variety of things.
Pros
Good chances to move up within the company; good pay.
Cons
That would be the amount of hours that we were asked to work, and sometimes on a daily basis this would occur. Kept me away from my family a lot.
Cargill An opportunity to thrive and develope your career
Yard and Hides Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COJuly 1, 2015
Cargill is a place where challenges became your adrenaline and motivation to improve your skills, and quality of work. Learning to take pride in the beginning process only makes best for the final product. Having your management's support when challenges would arise and pulling for you to improve for a better future in your career. Walking on to the production area is a little piece of the world with such a diverse culture. As you taught and worked with employees and co-workers you too learned many things as every day passed. Adjusting to diverse cultures could be challenging as language differences caused a barrier, but there was nothing more exciting then walking into work and being greeted by your employees and ending a hard days work as a team.
Pros
Every day you learned something new, never a dull moment
Cons
Constant change of management
Fast paced, on the go, ever changing, evere day on the job at Cargill.
Electrician/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Dayton, VAJuly 1, 2013
Arrive early, there is an opportunity to learn something new each day. Management needs to improve, they need to start by listening to the workers (who have been trained and have been doing the job for years, experience is everything). My co-workers are great for the most part there are days when we all have our moments. The hardest part about this job is working on one thing, being called to something else, then going back to the original job only to be called to fix something else before you finish with the first one. Right now I do not find anything enjoyable about working at Cargill, I feel very unappreciated, that is why I am looking for a new place to work.
Pros
plenty of over-time
Cons
shot or no lunch breaks
Keeping things top shape will make your job easy.
Assistant Capital Manger (Current Employee) –  Dodge City, KSMay 22, 2013
Started at four thirty,checked out if any problems,read my email, and helped get the plant started. Worked on projects,getting parts ordered in, stopped and help make parts for my mechanics. Designed and installed what ever needed done. You can learn or teach people whatever will make people better. My management has always been very helpful. Co-workers, you will always have to earn there respect, but that is a good thing. The hardest part of any job is to deal with someone who doesn't know what he wants or don't understand a blueprint. Teaching others to be one better than yourself has always been one of my pryorites. I will always believe that by teaching others and giving the extra effort to help someone will payback may times over.
Very Productive where u meet your second family
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXApril 3, 2013
a typical day at work for a computer operator in shipping department was pretty easy all you had to do was be able to multitask and keep up with twelve orders at a time or being able to help with a customers questions.
what i have learned at Cargill is that through good work comes great rewards. Management was always there to help when needed. My coworkers were my best part of the job it was always fun to be able to go to work and meet new people. Our jobs came first but we always had a fun time doing it. I would say the hardest part of the job for me was when i had to help and explain to a customer why their shipments at times would be late. Most of the time it was mechanical errors and there was no way in telling when they would get their product
Pros
great pay
Cons
short lunches
prodive work place with nice work enviroment
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Nebraska City, NENovember 20, 2014
a typical day at work would be going to the job on time. getting there doing my job right and on time. and working with the use of chemicals on the machine. and taking them apart to clean and putting them back together. and cleaning the hole area from top to bottom including the floor and ceilings. and going back to overlook my work so it is perfected in all ways possible. how to do my job correctly and efficiently. get along well with management and my co workers also I found the hardest part of the job was learning the proper use of the chemical use at the job. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with co workers and management.
Pros
they supplied my equipment
Cons
short brakes, because when the buzzer went off is when we started our 15min brake, and had to work untill the buzzer went off, then had to be at work when athe buzzer went off gain, making it about a ten min brake
Typical Big Company
Ops/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Evansville INJuly 20, 2014
Typical Big Company. . You are seen as a number and not valued. Rude and stuck up Managers that won't even acknowledge you when they finally decide to roll out of bed and show up to work. They will lay you off without even thinking twice. Save your time and effort applying here. . They are constantly changing their minds and you cannot enjoy a work life balance. Constant job sharing for locations. . You don't know from day to day if you have to travel to a different location. Managers constantly micro managing because their own inflated insecurities.. They will treat you like your 5 years old. Basically if you want respect and actually want a life, do not apply at Cargill.
Pros
pay was half decent but required alot of hours
Cons
no worklife balance. .forced working lunches. . rude and arrogant managers..pay
worst office culture ever!
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAMarch 14, 2014
Cargill Animal Nutrition....The majority of the people in the office there are rude, non - supportive and very mean to others, especially new hires. Sad thing was I transferred from a Cargill location I'd been at for 10 years! The customer service team you'd be working with for this job are extremely "mean girl" high school like unprofessionals. I can recommend several other Cargill locations and business units but NOT Animal Nutrition. Huge disappointment. Management at this office is also very unprofessional. They fraternize with the CSR's at bars, on Facebook and at work inappropriately.
DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU PLAN TO LOOK FOR WORK IN 3 MONTHS AFTER STARTING THERE!!!!
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
mean people bad management terrible training zero work life balance
I was fortunate to work for Cargill it provided and increase in knowledge of plant operations and safety job training.
Field operator (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INFebruary 11, 2015
I was a field operator responsible for quality assurance of steeping and grinding corn by using the Delta V and Rosemount computers in the wet milling process. I enjoyed the team work and the relationship build with my co-workers. Management changed as the company changed from American Maize to Cerestar then Cargill. I watched it changed from a small company to becoming a part of big business and with the transition the team effort between management and employee decreased. The hardest part about this job was the challenge of maintaining a safe working environment while working with the railroad cars and tracks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge learn that allowed me to improve in job safety.
Pros
8 hour schedule, 401k, insurance
Cons
not competitive with wages and saw no chance for job growth
A very educational and driven work enviorment
Dairy Focus Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2015
I loved working for this company. I learned a lot through experience and working hard to learn the business. I would make my own cold calls and pick up accounts. Once an account was mine, I would stop once a week to talk about their business and needs. I managed more than 20 accounts. I used different specialist(vet, etc) that Cargill has hired as a tool to pick up accounts. The hardest of my job is dealing with different types of people and managing their personalities with their business. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping businesses make money and seeing them excited about great things that we have done together.
Pros
great people, good benefits, self rewarding
Cons
lots of travel, moved twice in one year
Culture only focused on metrics and increasing productivity
Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMay 8, 2013
Typical day always has more work than people to do it

Learned process needs to be tempered by common sense

Management Only concerned with creating positive metrics even if not based on reality.

Co-workers were great. A lot of good people tying to do their best.

Hardest part of job is being managed by people who do not know what we do and are only interested in metrics that don't always fit.

Actually changed work life balance to work life choice because so many people question if work life balance was possible.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with great people and feeling of accomplishment when things are going well.
Pros
job security, chance to work with global teams
Cons
diminising benifits and ever increasing expectations
Fast-paced environment offering the ability to function idependently and on a team
Logistics Supervisor - Englewood, CO (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 24, 2013
A typical day was non-stop busy, but with fun mixed in.
I learned the entire supply chain of the meat business division. I was able to tour several distribution centers and meat harvesting/packing plants.
Management was typically hands-off but set KRA's (goals) to keep engagement high.
My co-workers were team players for the most part. Respectful with at "teaching" attitude.
The hardest part of the job was the constant pressure stemming due to the business and the perishable nature of the product.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to function independently and the ability to learn and grow. Additionally, there constant opportunity for people interaction.
Pros
reduced prices on beef and pork products
Cons
lack of work/life balance at times.
Efficiency and work flow
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nebraska CityMay 31, 2015
• Oversees day-to-day operation of assigned area including workflow, management of work in process, job assignments, and rotations.
• Ensuring improvements are made, metrics are tracked, and process improvements are implemented through actions resulting effective and efficient process flow.
• Ensuring all employees ideas are respected and valued, and their unique diverse perspectives are leveraged to improve business results.
• Using helix and MOC’s to track production efficiency and operations.
• Actively participate on safety issues, incidents reviews and project reviews.
• Partnering up with management to resolve work orders by using MOC’s to identify solutions.
• Improving production model assumption rates and efficiencies by collaborating deeply with on-site production scheduler planners and supply chain to identify and implement opportunities.
• Managing and administering employees Kronos
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, Working in a Union environment
Wonderful Company with Great Values
Executive Admin Assistant/HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 23, 2012
I started in the Animal Nutrition Division which was an absolutely wonderful place to work. It was a wonderful close knit office with a laid back dress code and enviornment. The Animal Nutrition Values are values that most people use in thier daily life so I fell in love with the comany. I started in a temporary position covering for a few different people on medical and maternity leave. Once that was over the company wanted to hire me permenatly but there wasn't anything available at the time so I moved to the Grain and Oilseeds division. Grain and Oilseeds was a bit larger and not as close knit. I still enjoyed working for the comany however the position that I moved into was not the right fit for me and my skills set.
Pros
core values of the comany, free lunches, benifits, compensation
Cons
my position placement to grain and oilseeds
Corporate Office is Nothing Like this branch
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 7, 2015
Cargill Meat Solutions still works on a "good 'ol boys" network of management. Woman and minorities are kept in the lower ranks unless you know someone in corporate or have come from corporate to build skills for a couple of years before you go back to corporate. Backstabbing, jealousy and shady hiring practices are rampant at CMS, but I hear the complete opposite about the corporate office where they value ethics, guiding principles and career development.

If you have the ability to relocate I highly recommend this company for the overall ethics and work/life balance they provide. If you are a woman or minority don't get your hopes up.
Pros
good work/life balance for salaried employees
Cons
nepotism, favoritism, shady hiring practices, cronyism
Productive and efficient
DSM Picking (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHSeptember 19, 2014
A typical day at work would be to do shift exchange to get started. I would get my work station set up and then I check inventory to see where the ingredients are and what I need to get for my work stations.
What I've learned from this job are how to use an RF system and drive a stand up forklift.
Management was fine for the most part. Most of the time my co-workers talked with each other about who are willing to come in early or stay over time.
The hardest part of the job was to work 12 hour shifts almost everyday.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that there was always something productive to do and my co-workers were all great workers.
Pros
sometimes free lunch, dinner
Cons
too much mandatory overtime
Great position, great people, but only temporary
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 13, 2014
I have loved my time at Cargill so far; the people I work with are motivated, friendly and fun. The hours and schedule are very flexible, and I feel like part of the team. There are drawbacks to being a contractor, though; I cannot attend any company functions, I'm not allowed to know the details of the projects I help with, and there is no opportunity for advancement. Additionally, there is plenty of work to be done, which is great; but none of it is particularly challenging or goal-oriented. Despite great networking and corporate research and development experience, I'm not really learning anything new here.
Pros
great people, flexible schedule, corporate r&d exposure, networking, microbiology experience, lab management experience
Cons
contract only, no advancement opportunity, not privy to a great deal of project information, not particularly challenging or exciting
Innovative Work Environment
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 25, 2015
The work environment was very relaxed. Rather than being assigned to the same desk, employee's were encouraged to move around throughout the office as well as work from home. For the most part working with others throughout the company was a positive experience. The staff were very much team driven and would assist each other with problems to find solutions. Only downside to my job was the high turnover rate of supervisors. I worked for Cargill for 9 months and had 8 different supervisor's. Each time our supervisor was replaced there was a resettling period due to slightly different managing styles and priorities. Many of my supervisors didn't even care to know what our work included.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
overly managed.
Overall horrible work environment and disgraceful management.
DSM Operator (Current Employee) –  Sidney, OHFebruary 14, 2014
If you have a family I would highly discourage you from getting a job here. You would have to be ready for 12 hour days 7 days a week for months at a time. From not just my experience but with also what I have witnessed with ALOT of my co-workers the management is prone to harassment and down grading you in front of others on a daily basis. They have a huge tendency for playing favorites and have been known for retaliation. The only up side to this is the benefits. thats it. Everyday is miserable. We make $17 an hour and people are quitting constantly. That speaks for itself.
benefits
Cons
horrible management, no time for home life