Cargill

Cargill Employee Reviews

Manufactory environment
Client Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAFebruary 1, 2015
Full cycle human resources for manufacturing facility, include payroll, LOAs and labor relations. Work well with management team to implement change and incorporate new processes.
Meat packing
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAFebruary 1, 2015
Work was not very hard. Management was hard to find at times when needed. Not able to do anything on your own had to make sure management agreed with it.
Good Job
Operator (Current Employee), Hammond, INJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: large turn around rate
Good job, decent benefits, good overtime pay, lots of hours.
it was fine
General Worker (Current Employee), Ottumwa, IAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: rewarded for multipule days gone without an accident.
Cons: not nearly enough pay.
Employer expected employees to train others off the street for the same pay as the new employees. Radios were positioned for employees to listen to as they worked. Required to take "random" drug/alcohol test once a month. Crazy employees get hired on easily. The job is a constant revolving door.
Excellent People w Poor Management
Senior SAP Design Consultant (Former Employee), Hopkins, MNJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: management & no upward mobility
Cargill attempted to run an SAP implementation and staffed the management team with individuals with no IT project management experience. The management did not know how to effectively scope, prioritize, or drive completion of the appropriate tasks. Instead, they over relied on the integrator (Accenture) to advise.

Co workers were great with an overall desire to collaborate and contribute.
Great place to work if you want your job to be your life
Accountant (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: nice compensation
Cons: no real breaks, the company owns you
I'll go through this star by star.

Work/life balance gets 1 star because they want you to work ALL THE TIME. You're on salary and majorly frowned upon if you're putting in less than 50 hours a week. They will want you to volunteer to work weekends without notice, and if you don't volunteer, they will eventually find a way to force you to.

Compensation/benefits gets 3 stars because they do compensate you decently. However, hour for hour, you can easily make more somewhere else. They give you more vacation time than most places (I started off with three weeks) but generally for every vacation day you take, you'll also spend an extra 8-10 hours covering someone else's vacation. It's very common to work for 4-6 hours and then leave, and call that a vacation day. They also give you a laptop so you can work during sick days and while on vacation. The 401k and profit share is decent, with 4.5% matching on the 401k.

Job security/advancement gets 4 stars. They seem to make a good effort to keep their people. Advancement is pretty much a given; they expect you to move up and up. Each time you're promoted you will also be relocated and generally have a heavier workload. They expect you to do this every few years for at least your first 10 years with the company, so if you like having friendships or settling down, you can kiss that goodbye for a while. In retrospect, this seems like a tactic to make your networking useless so you have no choice but to stay with the company.

Management gets 2 stars. The management was awful at the Fresno facility. They really seemed like they actively hated the employees, both the laborers and other administrative people. Other facilities didn't seem as bad in this area though, so they get an extra star.

Job culture gets a 1. Very hard to make friends unless you agree with their "your job IS your life" culture.
A miserable place to work, I don't recommend it to anyone looking to advance within the company.
Pellet Mill Operator (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: pays more than some companies in that area
Cons: instead of paying for healthcare they have you in a group plan for hourly employees, therefore you can obtain a better one searching for yourself.
A typical day start's with a safety briefing, yet they never fix the danger's within the plant but have you sign a form saying that you are working in a safe environment. What I learned was Pellet Mill Operation and what it takes to make animal feed. Management was dishonest. I was told to take test to advance. 2 1/2 months prior to me finishing training. When the test was passed, I was told that I was not a fit. I hired in as Maintenance but was given a different pay scale and duties that did not include maintenance. They hired less qualified maintenance people under me who had friends there. I had to deal with religious discrimination. Employees are afraid that outsider's want their jobs, so it creates a dog eat dog environment. Management listen's to these same employees in regard's to new hire's. No work to life balance. Working as a temp, you may be promised full time employment, yet it never happens regardless of performance. It was a very old, dirty and outdated plant. Maintenance Supervisor knew nothing of his job besides paperwork. Breakdown's occur too often which creates mandatory work situations. They have a union in place with incompetent worker's at the head. The plant manager is dishonest and vague about expectations, except more tons of feed. The hardest part of the job is listening to the lies of management and worker's using cut-throat tactics to remove a threat like a new hire and coming home as dirty as a pig with no fulfillment. The most enjoyable part was that the time flew by quickly by staying busy.
decent place to work
Shipper and Receiver (Current Employee), Butler, WIJanuary 28, 2015
job can be good money but be prepared to not have a life. I learned a lot at this company but at my own discretion. I found a lot of people don't like to train you properly so I hope you have good observation skills if being employed by this company.
Productive and a fun workplace with lot good eating
Process Technician (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: always cooking and having fun time with management and co-workers
Cons: to much eating
This is a GREAT Company to work for Management is great. And the people are so good to work with.
No work/life balance, management quality needs improvement
Lab Technician II / Quality Assurance (Temporary) (Former Employee), Gainesville, GAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: pay, free lunch
Cons: always busy, few breaks, gossip, departments blame on each other
Manufacturing environment
Long hours of standing
Departments blame on each other
Superior is not approachable, full of bias to some employees
no life, company opens 24/7, can't choose own shifts
training sucks, unclear SOP, different ppl say different things
lab is dirty and full of grease everywhere; they should hire cleaning company to clean the lab every day
co-workers hate their jobs and gossip a lot
Good
Sr. Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Good onsite for Accenture resources. nice company very old and stable
Great Company to work for
Deli Raw Operations Manager (Current Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great benefits and culture
Cons: work-life balance
Cargill, work culture is great, safety and food safety is always a priority. Cargill is a great place to develop especially if you start early in your career path lots of opportunities for growth in different areas.

The hardest part is managing the work-life balance, if you have small kids there is no room for time, the expectation is that work is first.
Innovative Work Environment
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Fargo, NDJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: overly managed.
The work environment was very relaxed. Rather than being assigned to the same desk, employee's were encouraged to move around throughout the office as well as work from home. For the most part working with others throughout the company was a positive experience. The staff were very much team driven and would assist each other with problems to find solutions. Only downside to my job was the high turnover rate of supervisors. I worked for Cargill for 9 months and had 8 different supervisor's. Each time our supervisor was replaced there was a resettling period due to slightly different managing styles and priorities. Many of my supervisors didn't even care to know what our work included.
Productive work place
Packaging Third Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 19, 2015
Learned about all aspects of vegetable oil production, working in about every position they offered. I started at the bottom and worked my way up within about 5 yrs.
Productive work place
Hard Work
General Worker (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAJanuary 17, 2015
Lots of hard work is required at this place. Meet alot of nice people but gets stressfull at times.
Productive fast paced, hard labor!
Auditor (Former Employee), Dodge City, KSJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: make decent money
Cons: fast paced, supervisors prefer young ladies and old ladies get discriminated
It really depends i seen lots of descrimination towards a male worker as in comparison to a female worker. Male supervisor preffer female than male, let them get away with things like absenteesm and tardiness make it difficult for males, when assingning a job trainers see a way to put young ladies on easy jobs compared to an aged old lady or a male guy, too much favoritism, etc...
A very educational and driven work enviorment
Dairy Focus Consultant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great people, good benefits, self rewarding
Cons: lots of travel, moved twice in one year
I loved working for this company. I learned a lot through experience and working hard to learn the business. I would make my own cold calls and pick up accounts. Once an account was mine, I would stop once a week to talk about their business and needs. I managed more than 20 accounts. I used different specialist(vet, etc) that Cargill has hired as a tool to pick up accounts. The hardest of my job is dealing with different types of people and managing their personalities with their business. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping businesses make money and seeing them excited about great things that we have done together.
alright
Process Technician (Former Employee), Liverpool, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: being crapped on by birds everyday
keeping ingredients bins full unloading bulk trucks mangnement was fair money and benefits are good hardest part was when equipment went down enjoyable part of day going home
Great!
B.U. Process Development Group Engineer II (Current Employee), Minnesota, IowaJanuary 5, 2015
Great! Awesome, marvelous, extraordinary, fabulous, brilliant, trustworthy, extended training, job benefits, great people, awesome mentors, >$1M projects, NPDES training, wastewater discharge training, food manufacturing, food processing, food making, centrifuges.

About Cargill

Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, – Read more

Cargill Salaries