Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee United States Employee Reviews

Love the casual dress work environment.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNApril 22, 2015
Give yourself a month to learn the drink combinations! This is a great high school and college job. Flexible hours and possible promotion opportunities.
Fast-paced environment with coffee at your fingertips at all times!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Hopkins, MNApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, people interaction, movement, tips
Cons: Pay
A typical day revolves around the service to our guests. Greeting, talking, making connections, assisting, and anticipating customer wants and needs through order fulfillment. During slow times, I use my time to clean, and spiff up the coffeeshop.

This position has offered me many forms of learning as I have held multiple positions. Caribou is the main reason I pursued a B.S. in Business Management. Most of what I learned about management stems from promotions within the organization.

I enjoy working with all my coworkers when work is getting done to standard, but considering I work in a coffeeshop, most of my coworkers are pretty fun and outgoing.

The hardest part about my job is patience. I need to patient with customers, employees, new team members, and upper level management.

I really enjoy the Human Resource perspectives of my position. I sometimes interview candidates, work through our job posting application to sift through potential candidates, and set up interviews. The greatest part about the HR role to me is the fact that I am the one training and developing the employees to do their jobs, and do their jobs well.
Overall great experience
Lead Team Member (Former Employee), Darien, ILApril 11, 2015
Pros: free coffe
Cons: no breaks
I enjoy Caribou Coffee and it was a perfect place to work at. They were always kind and gave great benefits. I would work there again!
INSANE Leadership
Director of Product Marketing (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 9, 2015
Crazy company with horrible management. The few left standing are there only because they are the most vicious at political warfare.
Fun at first, but goes downhill quickly.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), MinneapolisApril 6, 2015
Pros: Easy tasks. Free 1/2 pound of coffee per week.
Cons: Constant understaffing, empty promises from management.
I think my experience would have been better had I worked at a regular Caribou, and not a grocery store kiosk Caribou. As a Team Member, it was fine, but once you are a Shift Supervisor, the extra dollar per hour is not worth it. At my location, since it was a grocery store kiosk, they could get away with scheduling just one person on duty, and often did, regardless of the expected traffic that day. What drove me away was the constant stress of being the only one there, which caused slower service during rushes, and then my tips suffered because of it. Also, our store met every sales goal asked of us, and when I left, we had earned three "pizza parties" over the last year, promised by our District Manager, and had not actually been given a single one.

During shifts I had worked at other stores, or on the rare occasion I had a team member, the job was fine. The drinks are easy to make after a few weeks. There are regular customers that I still think about sometimes. The time goes fast, in the right conditions.
Fun coworkers, fun atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: low pay
Went out of business, Great job, coworkers, and clients, Really enjoyed customer interaction and sales. I never dreaded going there.
Great, friendly environment with delicious coffee!
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILMarch 27, 2015
Taking orders, running register, talking with customers, making drinks, making sure there is always fresh coffee, laughing, sweeping, mopping, cleaning, and just having a good time in general. I loved this job because it taught me how to talk to people, to make sure my customer was satisfied. It was a great learning environment and it was always upbeat and friendly, even when we were swamped with drink orders.
Great atmosphere, nice people, productive work environment.
Associate Design Manager (Contract) (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 20, 2015
Pros: free caribou coffee!
Cons: this was only a temp. job for me.
A casual work environment that focused on the comfort and input of it's employees. By allowing the employees to wear T-shirts and jeans on any given day (dogs were allowed in the office on Fridays), Caribou created a more comfortable and productive work environment. On-site meeting rooms were always full and in high demand as communication and department interaction was supported in the effective growth of the company. Fun place to work!
Perky Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Eagan, MNMarch 13, 2015
I loved the perky environment. No matter how I felt when I came through the doors my spirits was lifted. It was always ALL SMILES.
Upbeat and fun place to work with many advancement opportunities
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 11, 2015
Caribou prides itself in quality in all aspects and has a fun culture to share with all. One of the best jobs I had as a student.
Fun after school job
Barista (Current Employee), Mitchell, SDMarch 9, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: no benefits
Caribou is great place to have conversations with customers. I love connecting with people through my work. THe shop isn't corporate and I only work half-time, so my benefits are non-existent. Other than that, the pay is competitive, and the work is good.
I am sure to put together specialt coffee and non-coffee drinks on a day-to-day basis. As well, there are dily cleaning tasks that must be done. We also have to make sure to maintain dates and proper temperatures of the fridges and espresso.
Generally, we work around fairly up-beat people. The work can get hectic and busy at times, so you have to learn to deal under pressure.
Good
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: fun job
Cons: low pay - not many breaks
Hourly wage is not great, but is a fun company to work for and you do make tips. You get free coffee to take home - that's always nice.
Great start
Barista (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIFebruary 10, 2015
Caribou was a great job and offered great opportunities for advancement. I miss working there and am sad they pulled their stores form michigan.
Great place to start a career.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Champlin, MNFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, benefits
Cons: early mornings.
This is my favorite place I have worked. It was very family-oriented, flexible, great benefits, awesome atmosphere.

Management was very understanding and helpful. Very open to new ideas or and objections.
Great work environment and culture.
Barista-Team Member (Current Employee), Burnsville, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: free caribou swag randomly
Cons: pay is generally minimum wage, and mangers don't make much either.
Wonderful company to work for. Good eggs all around. This is a very fun job to have and the closest thing to retail/food I will ever apply for. Great people to work with, great company to work for.
My first customer service job
Supervisor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: organic central american coffee!
Cons: did receive enough hours for vacation time out of my 2yrs there.
Caribou was Starbucks competition, but they couldn't hold on to that title for long. Caribou was a great place to work, I learned a lot about working fast paced, and giving great service. When i was promoted to supervisor, I was a little nervous, and knocked it out of the park my first week. Worked there for 2yrs till I was old enough to push Barista into becoming a Mixologist.
THis is a great company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), PlymouthJanuary 29, 2015
This company is really amazing to work for due to the costumers as well as my coworkers. I would recommend this job to anyone!
The company wants your soul.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: one free drink per shift, 30% discount, usually a nice environment
Cons: short or no breaks, stressful customers
Your individual team members, supervisors, and managers will likely be good people, because Caribou does not like hiring (in my experience) unfriendly, unpleasant humans. That's nice.

That being said, it appears that management is under a LOT of pressure to cut labor costs. Our schedules are always super tight and the store is often understaffed. I have a maximum amount of hours I can work because I am a student, and, you know, I don't want to work at Caribou forever... but you are expected to act as if you want to work at Caribou forever. I am always getting called in for an extra shift and liking my team members makes saying "no" very uncomfortable.

On the occasions in which I have been asked to stay late or come in early and accidentally gone into overtime, the company acts like it's my and my manager's fault. "We can't afford extra labor costs!" Well, maybe I can't afford to give you all this extra time--but I do, because I don't want to make life harder for people I have come to care for very much at my store!

Caribou talks a lot about how its employees love coffee and love making an inviting environment for customers, but honestly, combining that with the attitude of most of our clientele (in a rush, tired, entitled) and the very low pay (I started at $8.50) makes such a demand inhumane. No one would love such a job for $8.50--not for more than a few months.

I will say I qualified for health insurance very quickly while working 38-42 hours a week, and you don't lose it if your average drops under that during the year (I think).

Also... ... corporate also has some – more... interesting (and wrong) ideas about how much a cappuccino should weigh. They want those things heavy, and people complain if you make a cappuccino the way Caribou wants you to. And they should, 'cause you're basically giving them a latte with extra foam.

Hopefully, if you are getting this job, it is just a stepping stone to something better. It's not as dehumanizing as, say, Walmart, but the implication that I should devote my life to a coffee chain for so little money is just insulting. I am ecstatic to say I've moved onto something better and relevant to my field of education, while also making more money and lowering my blood pressure. – less
fun and friendly
Store Manager (Former Employee), Novi, MiJanuary 27, 2015
loved this job. loved building relationships with the guests. they became like family as did my staff. it was my home away from home.
Barista (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: not many hours
Great place to work good people great drinks and food. Love the flexibility of hours and you can work at any location.

1 2 3 4 5

About Caribou Coffee

Here at Caribou Coffee, we believe this to be true: that if passion, hard work and excellence go into an endeavor, the outcome – Read more

Caribou Coffee Salaries