Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee Employee Reviews

Great coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 6, 2016
Days at work can be busy depending if it's on weekend or weekday. I learned nothing much at all, and wasn't trained when I first started there. Management is very awful. The coworkers were very friendly and helpful. Sometimes people/coworkers would even yell at each other for no reason. Hardest part of working at Caribou Coffee was not being trained, especially when you're new and it's your first job.
Best Coffee
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 19, 2016
Usually I will clock in and just start ringing up guests or make their drinks. Ill communicate with the SS from before on what needs to be done or continued during my shift. I make sure we are staying on task and getting the drinks made quick and right for the guest. I'll do food orders in the morning and pull the food that needs to be pulled for the next day or at the end of the night all the required closing paperwork and inventory things. My job is to make sure we are prepping for the next shifts so they are set up to succeed while making sure we are as well. I love working there is such an upbeat environment. We have a lot of fun while still getting everything done.
good
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mound, MNJanuary 17, 2016
fun place to work the drinks are easy to remember the customers are nice. they need to pay managers more. they have good coffee
outstanding
District Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 11, 2016
Caribou cares about its employees and takes the time and invest in their training. Caribou unfortunately closed most of their stores however it was great working for them while I did.
Homegrown company gone bad.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 15, 2015
What once was a great place to work or frequent, has become toxic. Taking a company culture which prided itself on work/life balance, individualization, family, and hard work = opportunity of advancement. It has recently been turned inside out and all of these items are just hollow words. The change in upper management starting with the VP of Operations and one of the new Directors of Operations has begun the fall of this Minnesota mogul. It has become a results driven company ONLY focused on metrics not merit.
Pros
Free shift drink.
Cons
Poor vision of upper management, NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE, Low pay, High stress, Lack of leadership from DM level and above, Double standards, COO made poor decisions to move an inexperienced VP in place.
Avoid this location at all costs. Not worth the money!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 12, 2015
This store is a disaster. The store manager is a tyrant who throws temper tantrums when she can't manipulate the schedule the way she wants. She is unprofessional, manipulative, and rude. She refuses to take responsibility for an failures and blames team members.

The district manager is the same caliber of tyrant as the store manager but harasses staff via phone.

Take note you WILL be lied to during the interview process. There is no flexibility in schedules! You are expected to sell beans but be prepared to have your job threatened, refused time off, and endure bullying from management.
Pros
Co-workers, free drink, free beans
Cons
No breaks, threats of write ups and termination on a daily basis, being called names by store manager, passive aggressive behavior
Normal day
Barista (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 10, 2015
It's great working with such fantastic people in a fast paced environment. I've become friends with co workers as well as many of the costumers.
Pros
discount on premium coffee, great company
Cons
If I could design for caribou I would, Ii cant thats my only problem
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNDecember 3, 2015
If you're a college student this is the place for you. Flexible, free shift drink, 30% everything, and the environment is just great.
Pros
discounts, environment, great staff, great company
Cons
nothing
Fast-paced, supportive work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNNovember 30, 2015
I worked as a Shift Supervisor with approximately 6-9 other supervisors and team members. I directly reported to the store manager. I had the opportunity to make hand-crafted coffee & tea beverages, assist training new employees, operate & maintain cash registers, and provide customer service. The most important skill I took away from this job was adaptability.
Pros
Free half-pound of coffee per week, free shift drink, supportive coworkers & management
Cons
Mid-range pay, long hours, fluctuating customer traffic
Fun, fast paced environment.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IANovember 30, 2015
It's a fun job if you can multitask and work fast! And it's a good fit if you love coffee! Most managers are incredibly people, personal growth is encouraged, LOTS of PRESSURE to sell coffee beans, it can get stressful when you have three promotions in a row. Lots of policies to follow because it's corporate but it's still enjoyable.
Pros
Benefits offered for full-time and part-time positions, fun, great culture.
Cons
Short to no breaks, constantly standing.
Fun but low pay.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, MNNovember 14, 2015
Fun job but the pay is very low. And supervisors only get supervisor pay when MOD(which is only one dollar more than team members).
Poor Business Decisions
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 30, 2015
This company thrives off of over working and under paying its employees. As a Store Manager, you're constantly worried about your future with the company if you struggle with selling beans. The great culture they once had no longer exists and has caused a mass exodus of many managers who have been with the company through thick and thin. Don't let the job description fool you, because you definitely do not feel like you're running your own business. If you like being micromanaged, then this might just be a good fit for you. Also, you will have zero work/life balance. You will be expected to work on your days off frequently, and you must nearly always be available by phone even when you're not on the clock. If you choose to do this job, I wish you good luck.
Pros
Free coffee each shift, free coffee each week, discounts on products and merchandise, great health benefits
Cons
No breaks, long hours, no work/life balance, no freedom, high stress and pressure
Fast pace, open culture
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNOctober 25, 2015
Made coffee drinks. Completed my daily task as a Supervisior. Learned alot about coffee and where it came from. I had a hands on great manager. Made friends with my co-workers. Hardest part of the job was being there at 4am every morning. I enjoyed making a coffee drink to satisfaction.
Pros
free coffee beans
Cons
Very busy and ran out of product
Great coworkers horrid managment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2015
Hired as a shift lead, was never given it. Promised it for MONTHS, still nothing, empty promises and lots of lies. I cant stand the management at these stores.
Pros
get benifets after 20hrs, free coffee
Cons
No breaks, poor managment
Fast Paced Morning At The Coffee House
Barista (Current Employee) –  St. CloudOctober 13, 2015
Opening the store early has made me acquire a cheery disposition. The team is always supportive because you learn to be supportive of them. The most enjoyable part is what you do for the customer. Having fundraisers to help support the local community is extremely important to the team you work on. The people are easy to get to know. You eventually learn their orders and have it prepared as soon as they walk into the door. Every day brings a greatly diverse set of skills and experience that you need to learn quickly to get the job done quickly and effectively without forgetting the importance of the customer.
Pros
Discounts, Friends outside of work, Ability to speak with managers one on one
Cons
Not easy to connect with customers behind a counter.
Fast Paced Environment
Team Member/Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 2, 2015
After working at several caribou coffee locations there are many different management styles with in the company and very high turn over with staff. I've learned to handle many different things coming at me at once and how to deal with it as well as customers.
Poor Management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 1, 2015
after working there for a year i feel burnt out with nothing new challenging me anymore and a promotion that was supposed to happen months ago just kept getting put off and the turnover rate is unbelievable and i have nothing about high schools students but the don't seem to last long at all with Caribou
Productive Coffee Shop with a growing Clientele
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WISeptember 22, 2015
A typical work day consisted of running orders of business at Caribou. I would make drinks and communicate with customers to build long lasting relationships. The team would need direction in day to day tasks, which i would give. Making sure the team also had good communication between each other and the customers is very important. The hardest part of the job was overworking myself. I would work for ten to twelve hour shifts with no break and a constant rush of customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was creating bonds with the customers.
Fun easy going work place
Crew member (Former Employee) –  New Hope, MNSeptember 20, 2015
I would take orders, and make drinks, and clean up.
I learned a lot of customer service.
Horrible management, couldn't keep a manager.
Some were great, others lazy.
Not getting to state my opinion.
Helping customers.
Fun Workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 18, 2015
In the morning it is really busy and in the afternoon towards the end of the day it slowly dies down. The benefits are suitably great and its in a nice location with a lot of windows so you don't feel like your stuck in a box, having the life sucked out of you whenever you walk out after working.
Pros
Free Shift Drink and Team Member Benefits
Cons
Busy Morning Shifts