Caribou Coffee Employee Reviews in United States

Homegrown company gone bad.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 15, 2015
What once was a great place to work or frequent, has become toxic. Taking a company culture which prided itself on work/life balance, individualization, family, and hard work = opportunity of advancement. It has recently been turned inside out and all of these items are just hollow words. The change in upper management starting with the VP of Operations and one of the new Directors of Operations has begun the fall of this Minnesota mogul. It has become a results driven company ONLY focused on metrics not merit.
Pros
Free shift drink.
Cons
Poor vision of upper management, NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE, Low pay, High stress, Lack of leadership from DM level and above, Double standards, COO made poor decisions to move an inexperienced VP in place.
Poor Business Decisions
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 30, 2015
This company thrives off of over working and under paying its employees. As a Store Manager, you're constantly worried about your future with the company if you struggle with selling beans. The great culture they once had no longer exists and has caused a mass exodus of many managers who have been with the company through thick and thin. Don't let the job description fool you, because you definitely do not feel like you're running your own business. If you like being micromanaged, then this might just be a good fit for you. Also, you will have zero work/life balance. You will be expected to work on your days off frequently, and you must nearly always be available by phone even when you're not on the clock. If you choose to do this job, I wish you good luck.
Pros
Free coffee each shift, free coffee each week, discounts on products and merchandise, great health benefits
Cons
No breaks, long hours, no work/life balance, no freedom, high stress and pressure
Fun, fast paced environment.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IANovember 30, 2015
It's a fun job if you can multitask and work fast! And it's a good fit if you love coffee! Most managers are incredibly people, personal growth is encouraged, LOTS of PRESSURE to sell coffee beans, it can get stressful when you have three promotions in a row. Lots of policies to follow because it's corporate but it's still enjoyable.
Pros
Benefits offered for full-time and part-time positions, fun, great culture.
Cons
Short to no breaks, constantly standing.
Fast-paced, supportive work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNNovember 30, 2015
I worked as a Shift Supervisor with approximately 6-9 other supervisors and team members. I directly reported to the store manager. I had the opportunity to make hand-crafted coffee & tea beverages, assist training new employees, operate & maintain cash registers, and provide customer service. The most important skill I took away from this job was adaptability.
Pros
Free half-pound of coffee per week, free shift drink, supportive coworkers & management
Cons
Mid-range pay, long hours, fluctuating customer traffic
Fast Paced Morning At The Coffee House
Barista (Current Employee) –  St. CloudOctober 13, 2015
Opening the store early has made me acquire a cheery disposition. The team is always supportive because you learn to be supportive of them. The most enjoyable part is what you do for the customer. Having fundraisers to help support the local community is extremely important to the team you work on. The people are easy to get to know. You eventually learn their orders and have it prepared as soon as they walk into the door. Every day brings a greatly diverse set of skills and experience that you need to learn quickly to get the job done quickly and effectively without forgetting the importance of the customer.
Pros
Discounts, Friends outside of work, Ability to speak with managers one on one
Cons
Not easy to connect with customers behind a counter.
Overall Good Opportunity
Senior Training General Manager (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMarch 29, 2016
Great Entry level management experience
Decent work life balance
Enjoy guest experiences
Opportunity to be great for team atmosphere
Avoid this location at all costs. Not worth the money!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 12, 2015
This store is a disaster. The store manager is a tyrant who throws temper tantrums when she can't manipulate the schedule the way she wants. She is unprofessional, manipulative, and rude. She refuses to take responsibility for an failures and blames team members.

The district manager is the same caliber of tyrant as the store manager but harasses staff via phone.

Take note you WILL be lied to during the interview process. There is no flexibility in schedules! You are expected to sell beans but be prepared to have your job threatened, refused time off, and endure bullying from management.
Pros
Co-workers, free drink, free beans
Cons
No breaks, threats of write ups and termination on a daily basis, being called names by store manager, passive aggressive behavior
Fun, unique culture, love meeting new people everyday!
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnapolisAugust 6, 2015
It was a great place to work! Over the years a great culture was established. Not too many opportunities to advance unless you are willing to give up your work/life balance. Corporate and the field often didn't align with priorities - pressure to sell was extremely high and if one failed to hit a promotion before the promotion was over, disciplinary actions were taken. This made for a very stressful work environment.
Great coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 6, 2016
Days at work can be busy depending if it's on weekend or weekday. I learned nothing much at all, and wasn't trained when I first started there. Management is very awful. The coworkers were very friendly and helpful. Sometimes people/coworkers would even yell at each other for no reason. Hardest part of working at Caribou Coffee was not being trained, especially when you're new and it's your first job.
I would work here again ... If I was desparate.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 26, 2015
Caribou Coffee: it's fun unless you actually need to make money. I worked at Caribou for two years and received a $.75 raise over that time. Management is distracted and forgetful. The work is difficult, stressful, and the compensation does not make up for it. However, my co-workers were fantastic and it's how I met my best friend.
Pros
shift drink, free espresso
Cons
no breaks, poor management
Upbeat Cafe with Ethics and Quality
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Caribou Coffee was a fun place to work. Most days I would look forward to working. I enjoyed serving and interacting with customers, preparing quality beverages and food, and doing my part to keep everything running smoothly. My co-workers were great and I still see them often as I enjoy spending time at Caribou drinking coffee and relaxing. The management was positive and encouraging.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, nice customers, good drinks, high quality, health insurance
Cons
No room for advancement, overly strict policies, treat employees as expendable, low wages
Productive work environment. Has a very home like feel to it
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WIMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of: coming in, putting my apron on and start making drinks for our customers and ensuring that team members were doing their job well. Then I would do my supervisor activities such as counting money, ordering products, and ensuring the open shift was set up.

I learned a lot of management things and became more confident in myself as a manager and a leader as well, I got to learn how to make all caribou drinks.

It was really difficult having a range of workers from ages 16-30's because we are all at different points in our lives and sometimes people didn't like to listen because of age reasons.

I really enjoyed the people environment of it though, the people were super nice and I enjoyed building a relationship with them
Pros
Shift drink every time you worked, 1/2 LB of coffee per week
Cons
No breaks, Limited hours
Caribou Coffee
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNFebruary 29, 2016
I love being the manager with the people I work with. I have close relationships with some of our daily customers, and I'd be there for any one of my employee's for anything they need. Its kind of a one of a kind environment. Sometimes insane, other times real laid back. It's a lot right at first, and I can say that I definitely underestimated my position going into it. A typical day consists of a pattern most of us have figured out. Crazy in the mornings, well because people need their daily coffee of course.. then mellows out come late morning, which gives us time to get caught up on all of our chores. Then again, a decent after school rush. Lots of drinks, drinks, and more drinks. I would say the hardest part of my job is for me, not being able to please everyone. The most enjoyable part is becoming so close with members of the community, and the kids I work with that I would not have the pleasure of knowing if it wasn't for my job. Its taught me more about myself than I thought I knew and truly made me a stronger, better person.
Great Company
Great products
Great promotions
Best Coffee
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 19, 2016
Usually I will clock in and just start ringing up guests or make their drinks. Ill communicate with the SS from before on what needs to be done or continued during my shift. I make sure we are staying on task and getting the drinks made quick and right for the guest. I'll do food orders in the morning and pull the food that needs to be pulled for the next day or at the end of the night all the required closing paperwork and inventory things. My job is to make sure we are prepping for the next shifts so they are set up to succeed while making sure we are as well. I love working there is such an upbeat environment. We have a lot of fun while still getting everything done.
Life is Short
Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 7, 2015
Great culture and a fantastic place to work and grow! Exciting new development and marketing structures incorporated into the specialty coffee industry. It is a place to nurture your career and learn nuisances of a small company whereas growth is in their future.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COFebruary 15, 2016
it's the best part of retail
the best part of food service
management is great. I have always had a good team
It's tough to advance in certain cases but It's a great job
great guests, fun environment , fast-paced, variety
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisAugust 13, 2015
Great Company and benefits
Difficult to find good employees to work for minimum wage
great discounts
the best coffee
difficult to manage the increasing tasks in the time allotted
recently purchased by a new company
Pros
great discounts
Terrible Management
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 23, 2016
I've worked at Caribou for over a year and have had 4 different managers. The first manager I had was insane and belittled everyone. She went on vacation and never came back. We were then without a manager for a couple weeks before our next temporary manager came in. She was actually nice, but took a break every half hour to smoke. When she left, another lady came in who was very nice. We soon learned that she had never worked at a Caribou before and had no idea how to make any drinks. She also spoke and understood very little English. Eventually she stopped showing up for shifts and would only put two people on when we usually would have seven. I took a break for a few months and when I came back we had a new manager. He managed the store better than anyone in the past and knew Caribou very well. Once he got more comfortable around my coworkers and I, he started showing his true colors. He started swearing like a sailor (in front of customers) and his anger issues started to show. If he makes a mistake he blames everyone else and makes you feel really stupid. Over all, Caribou really struggles to find quality leaders. If they hired managers who actually cared about their employees and the store, it would be a good place to work.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
bad management
Fun Workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 18, 2015
In the morning it is really busy and in the afternoon towards the end of the day it slowly dies down. The benefits are suitably great and its in a nice location with a lot of windows so you don't feel like your stuck in a box, having the life sucked out of you whenever you walk out after working.
Pros
Free Shift Drink and Team Member Benefits
Cons
Busy Morning Shifts