Caribou Coffee Employee Reviews in United States

Caribou Coffee Store 181
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJuly 27, 2016
In the past year, I had enjoyed working at Caribou Coffee immensely. Around February, it was an escape and kept my mind busy from the troubles that had emerged in my life. A few months later, my manager became mentally unstable and I felt uncomfortable (and unsafe) to work in a hostile environment such as this one. I encourage future applicants to work at any other location other than store 181 in Rosemount, MN.
Overly tense environment, but good coffee
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 14, 2016
The customers were great. The coffee was great and I really enjoyed getting to make drinks and interact with the customers everyday. I also had a good relationship with all of my co-workers. The management always seemed stressed out and would often take it out on us. There was always too much pressure on making sales and not enough value placed on the customers as people from the management.
Pros
Customers were great, so was the coffee and food
Cons
Too stressful for too little pay
Fun and Simple
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Champlin, MNJuly 5, 2016
A typical day as a Caribou Coffee employee is making drinks and also conversation with your customers, assuring them that you are working on their drinks and also making them feel welcome to the shop. The most rewarding part of the job is being able to greet your regular customers by name as soon as they walk through the door, and the most difficult part of the job are the rushes in the day, where you can have up to 15+ people in the a line waiting for their turn to order.
Pros
Free drinks while on shift, discount on all items in the store.
Cons
No official breaks
decent but not anything special
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 22, 2016
I enjoyed most of my time there. At times the politics of the job seemed to be a little overwhelming. I was not happy they closed my café.
A company with awesome potential, mediocre execution
SSIT (Current Employee) –  MNJune 18, 2016
Caribou is an awesome place to work if it is properly managed--- which is rare. The free drinks, half-pound of coffee or tea and employee discounts are very generous and come in handy for sure. The awesomely relaxed environment that can be created is very nice, too. However, a 30-min. break for an 8-hour or more shift is blasphemous. We hardly even get to take our breaks due to the lack of coverage. The managers expect way more from the employees than they are willing to give back to the store themselves. My coworkers do way more than my manager and are in the store more, and longer, than she is. She has horrible people skills and has forced our store to lose a handful of great employees because of this. We are unendingly short-staffed and lack the necessary resources to run smoothly and it has been this way for a long time. You know you're in the wrong place when your TRAINER---along with nearly every other seasoned employee--- flat out tells you "Don't stay here."
Pros
Free shift drinks & half-pound of coffee or tea
Cons
Short breaks, lousy management, harsh hours, little flexibility
Very flexible, but no pay advancements
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJune 16, 2016
I always have a good time at work. I love the people I work with, and I enjoy the work I do. However i have not received a single raise since I started in 2013. I can no longer afford to keep this job.
Pros
Great coworkers, great work
Cons
No chance of a raise
Great place for students and people who are figuring out their lives!
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 13, 2016
1.Busy, busy, running in circles for 3-4 hours and then playing catch between rushes for the rest of the day.

2. Caribou has definitely made me a better leader, more understanding, more patient, and love people more.

3. It's the luck of the draw on this one. Managers aren't compensated nearly enough for their job so some put their all into it and others pretend to care when the upper management comes around.

4. I have made some of my best friends at this store but with high turnover it really depends on the team composition. Sometimes work is amazing, other times it can be challenging with coworkers with lacking work ethic and a bad attitude.

5. This job can be very draining. Also hours can vary greatly which is hard when you need to pay bills.

6. Hands down, the people are the best part of this job. I don't really care about coffee at all but its the customer and team interactions that I enjoy the most.
Pros
Free shift drink, 30% off everything else
Cons
High turnover rate, understaffed, petty management
An excellent job for a younger crowd
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJune 9, 2016
I've worked for Caribou for about a year and a half or so and I have loved learning something new each and every day. It took a while to learn everything needed to be able to function properly on your own, but after a while it was so easy to work with customers and other co-workers. One of the hardest things to adjust to was the fact that everyone wants their coffee a particular way and, as customers, they get what they want. But after that initial shock it was super easy to work with the customers to be able to make sure they were each satisfied with their visit. Another big thing is speed, to make sure their quick coffee stop before work was actually "quick". That has gotten easier, over time, as well.

Overall, this job has been wonderful. I used to dread going to my other jobs but I enjoy going to work because the environment is so happy and enjoyable. My boss is great, she does everything she can to make adjustments to the schedules for each of her employees and it shows how much she cares about all of us.
Pros
Free shift drink, 30% off food, beverages, apparel, merch, etc.
Cons
5 minute breaks allowed for eating and bathroom breaks
Great Place to Work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAJune 6, 2016
Simply a fun place of employment. The staff was fun. I was responsible to preparing beverages for customers.the management was pretty nice and sufficient with his job. He made sure everyone was properly trained
Pros
Excellent Environment
Cons
Lack of team work
Terrible Management
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 23, 2016
I've worked at Caribou for over a year and have had 4 different managers. The first manager I had was insane and belittled everyone. She went on vacation and never came back. We were then without a manager for a couple weeks before our next temporary manager came in. She was actually nice, but took a break every half hour to smoke. When she left, another lady came in who was very nice. We soon learned that she had never worked at a Caribou before and had no idea how to make any drinks. She also spoke and understood very little English. Eventually she stopped showing up for shifts and would only put two people on when we usually would have seven. I took a break for a few months and when I came back we had a new manager. He managed the store better than anyone in the past and knew Caribou very well. Once he got more comfortable around my coworkers and I, he started showing his true colors. He started swearing like a sailor (in front of customers) and his anger issues started to show. If he makes a mistake he blames everyone else and makes you feel really stupid. Over all, Caribou really struggles to find quality leaders. If they hired managers who actually cared about their employees and the store, it would be a good place to work.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
bad management

Want to know more about Caribou Coffee?

Ask a question
great place to work!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 12, 2016
I have worked at a few different locations as a shift supervisor. I have enjoyed every single store that I have worked in. Caribou Coffee is great company to work for that truly cares about their employees. The insurance that I get there is pretty decent, too!
Productive work environment. Has a very home like feel to it
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WIMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of: coming in, putting my apron on and start making drinks for our customers and ensuring that team members were doing their job well. Then I would do my supervisor activities such as counting money, ordering products, and ensuring the open shift was set up.

I learned a lot of management things and became more confident in myself as a manager and a leader as well, I got to learn how to make all caribou drinks.

It was really difficult having a range of workers from ages 16-30's because we are all at different points in our lives and sometimes people didn't like to listen because of age reasons.

I really enjoyed the people environment of it though, the people were super nice and I enjoyed building a relationship with them
Pros
Shift drink every time you worked, 1/2 LB of coffee per week
Cons
No breaks, Limited hours
Productive and efficient workplace with customer service
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNMay 4, 2016
I'm usually working with customers,I work well where ever I'm needed. My coworkers love to have fun and get the job done. Hardest part of my job would be the multi-tasking. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with customers.
Pros
flexable
Cons
no breaks
Corporate Oversight
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2016
I think that Caribou was a decent place to work in. The major downside is the corporate oversight that seems to put way too much pressure on each store and it's staff, especially management.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Minimal pay to work ratio
productive, fun, busy
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 25, 2016
Most shifts are busy and full of many duties and responsibilities that need to get done in a timely fashion. Best part of any job is working with good people.
Interesting Opportunity
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 20, 2016
It's an interesting opportunity for new employment. You get to know the people you work with and for on a daily basis. It gets pretty fast-paced unpredictably. On the job training can be helpful. There is a real variety of drinks and merchandise. The community is growing everyday.
Not the Worst Place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNApril 19, 2016
Was a great job that I truly loved, but I had to quit when a family member died and my boss would not help me get time off to go to the funeral.
Poor management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 15, 2016
Loved working for the company but had some rocky changes in management around the end of my time leaving. Would recommend to someone looking to learn the ropes of the coffee shop business.
Pros
Free shift drink
Cons
No breaks, poor management, limited benefits
Fun Coffee Culture
Barista (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 12, 2016
Great for a first job, no longer exists in chicagoland. Typical day is cleaning, organizing, making espresso beverages, talking with customers.
Overall Good Opportunity
Senior Training General Manager (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMarch 29, 2016
Great Entry level management experience
Decent work life balance
Enjoy guest experiences
Opportunity to be great for team atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caribou Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.