Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee Employee Reviews

fun and great work place
Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 20, 2015
fun and great management. The people that I got to work with are just the best. Servicing your costumer in a fun and productive way can affect your day in a more positive way. Time goes by so fast working in the company. I think the hardest part of the job is waking up at 03:00 am in the morning, but it's not that bad since you work at the coffee place. I believe the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the best colleagues and tips offcourse.
fun
Customer Service (Current Employee), richfild mnAugust 19, 2015
Working at caribou is a fun place to work. The caribou that I work at is in the Best Buy Corp Office so I am around professional people all day long and I know most of them by name and what they drink. I have learned so much just from working there. I get along with most of my co workers they are fun to work with and they all do there part to get the job done.
Local to downtown DC
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Location
Cons: Not a lot of brake time
I worked the morning shift opening up the store and setting everything up. I learned a lot about sales worked in terms of revenue.
Upbeat Cafe with Ethics and Quality
Team Member (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Fun atmosphere, nice customers, good drinks, high quality, health insurance
Cons: No room for advancement, overly strict policies, treat employees as expendable, low wages
Caribou Coffee was a fun place to work. Most days I would look forward to working. I enjoyed serving and interacting with customers, preparing quality beverages and food, and doing my part to keep everything running smoothly. My co-workers were great and I still see them often as I enjoy spending time at Caribou drinking coffee and relaxing. The management was positive and encouraging.
great guests, fun environment , fast-paced, variety
Manager (Former Employee), MinneapolisAugust 13, 2015
Pros: great discounts
Cons: long hours
Great Company and benefits
Difficult to find good employees to work for minimum wage
great discounts
the best coffee
difficult to manage the increasing tasks in the time allotted
recently purchased by a new company
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Free shift drink and employee discount
Cons: Hardly any break time, Pay, benefits
A typical day at work is filled with fun regulars as well as great co-workers. At times there is some miscommunication between fellow co-workers. Over all it is a good place to work, but the pay is lacking.
Loved the Environment!
Barista (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 12, 2015
Pros: The Customers, Making Drinks and Handling Customer Relations.
Cons: Managment, and Constant Employee Exchange
I loved my job at Caribou Coffee Company. However; there was little to no room for promotion.The customers were great, and the whole store was excellent at their jobs!
Fun, unique culture, love meeting new people everyday!
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee), MinnapolisAugust 6, 2015
It was a great place to work! Over the years a great culture was established. Not too many opportunities to advance unless you are willing to give up your work/life balance. Corporate and the field often didn't align with priorities - pressure to sell was extremely high and if one failed to hit a promotion before the promotion was over, disciplinary actions were taken. This made for a very stressful work environment.
Fast paced Environment
Team Member/Shift Manager (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Free drinks
Cons: low pay
Everyday is essentially the same as a barista. Making drinks, upsetting product and talking with customers along with daily tasks. With caribou I experienced many different managers, some were wonderful others not so much. Typically, co-workers created a good team environment. The hardest part of the job was knowing it would be the same things every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fast paced environment.
coffee store
Barista/Sales of coffee drinks and beans (Former Employee), Toledo, OHAugust 1, 2015
Pros: cool environment, product
Cons: poor management team, always moving
Active entire time. I learned how to prepare Caribiou Coffee Beverages. The management was terrible. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the variety of personalitites of the coworkers who think immaturity on the job is tolerable bc the management does not set up and enforce good rules.
I would work here again ... If I was desparate.
Barista (Former Employee), Rochester, MNJuly 26, 2015
Pros: shift drink, free espresso
Cons: no breaks, poor management
Caribou Coffee: it's fun unless you actually need to make money. I worked at Caribou for two years and received a $.75 raise over that time. Management is distracted and forgetful. The work is difficult, stressful, and the compensation does not make up for it. However, my co-workers were fantastic and it's how I met my best friend.
Great Culture if you have the right boss
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 23, 2015
As long as you have the right boss (which is most of them but not all) this is a dream company to work for. Not perfect - but great culture overall.
Great job to have customer connection
Store Manager (Former Employee), MinnesotaJuly 15, 2015
Caribou coffee is a great place to advance, they want you to grow with the company. The management team is over worked and under paid.
Very productive and fun workplace with a great sense of community
Barista (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJuly 11, 2015
I love working here for a wide variety of reasons. Most notably, I love the atmosphere as well as the people I work with and the company's vision as a whole and how they treat their guests and employees is the best I've ever worked for. The benefits and pros definitely outweigh the cons and I can't say I find too many cons with this job.
Fast-paced, yet very comfortable environment
Full-time barista (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day working at Caribou would include making sure all the brewers and espresso machines and filled. Making sure the espresso machines time is up to date. Helping customers with whatever they need (With a smile, of course). Toasting sandwiches. Making sure everyone is on task and getting things done. Working at Caribou I learned how to keep my calm during a fast paced environment and keeping a smile on my face. My co workers were friendly yet on task. The hardest part is when we'd have lines out the door and your behind the bar having to make sure you get every order right. Of course a mistake is bound to happen here and there but overall I got the hang of things pretty quickly, with the help of my super awesome co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. Co-workers and customers. Overall just a really chill and positive environment. The support of your co-workers and the satisfaction of a customer when you meet their needs.
Being a barista can be taxing, but fun.
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 29, 2015
Pros: one free beverage or free drip brew coffee(unlimited)
Cons: Tightly wound customers itching for their coffee fix.
Being a barista, especially a supervisor of baristas, is a ridiculously dramatic job and requires a balance between managing employees and doing the grunt work. The customer side of things can be difficult as well because when someone wants an order done a certain way you sometimes have to just wing it because there is no sure fire way of doing that order.
Fast-paced environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Wayzata, MNJune 24, 2015
Pros: Free shift drinks, supportive manager
Cons: Low pay for the amount of stress
As a shift supervisor, you will either open or close. Depending on the size of the store, you may or may not have a team member to assist you during the very early or very late hours. If you are located in a Lund's, you will work by yourself for the first few hours and the last few hours, as Lund's stores are open much later and there are plenty of people around. If you work in a neighborhood store, you will always have someone else working with you. Opening includes setting up coffee filters, setting up espresso machines and timing the shots, setting up the bakery case, assigning registers, ensuring that the trivia is correct, and overall getting ready for the day. As the main product that we are selling is caffeine, the rush may be early in the morning if you are working at a drive-thru, serving the 9-5ers as they begin their day. The remainder of the day is working on register, or bar, or providing support if you have team members to cover both positions. Rushes can be stressful and hectic. Lines can get long, people can grow impatient, others might order several complicated drinks slowing the line down, coffee might run out needing to be brewed again, a team member might be new, or the machines might need to be repaired, requiring you to submit a work order. The best thing to do is to keep calm and set a positive example for your team members. Task delegation is a significant part of this role as there might be several things requiring attention at the same time. As for closing, the duties include setting up for the morning, weighing out coffees, cleaning the store, counting – more... down the registers, and filling out some minor paperwork. I find that I do not usually work with the store manager anymore, as my job is to be them while they are not on the floor. We communicate, and the store manager assists me with any problems/issues I may have with my role and with team members. The work/life balance is pretty good, as Caribou generally discourages overtime. Some challenges I have faced are meeting quotas to sell our special limited time only beans that seem to come out every month. The pay is not enough to be independent. I am thankful with how supportive management is with my personal goals after Caribou.

Coworkers can range from high school aged students to folks with degrees hit hard by the recession to retired folks who are working part time. I would say that for the most part, speaking for my location, that I got lucky in terms of team members. They seem to be hard-working and competent at their jobs. I have heard different stories of other locations, however, as I have not personally worked their myself, I cannot validate their claims.

Things I don't enjoy are the stress of the job that comes during a rush and the sometimes unreasonable demands that a customer might have of us. For example, a customer may demand several boxes of coffee to go right away while we are in the middle of a rush. Many demands come flying at us in different directions, but we are always expected to keep a calm demeanor and provide excellent service. We do the best we can, but sometimes certain things cannot be done right away, and we have to be straightforward, suggesting feasible alternatives. For the breadth of responsibilities we have and the multitasking, I feel that our pay is a bit too low.

I do enjoy the teamwork and the feeling of getting through a rush and the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies and of our small victories throughout the day. I enjoy seeing my regular customers and helping them have a better day by providing them with what they want. – less
Very friendly and comfortable work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 19, 2015
This was an awesome company to work for. The management and employees got along and worked well with one another. I really believed in working for this company because they had numerous social cause that they worked for and donated to.
great workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Aurora, COJune 13, 2015
Pros: Allowed to get free lunches and precentage off drinks
Cons: No breaks or lunch
Customer Service for sure all day long, Cleaning the bathrooms and making sure floors are clean in the entire building, Facing the coffee products waiting to be sold, making drinks and food correctly for the customer, and opening and closing the store preparing the night and day bakery and or drinks to be made.
It was some of the greatest 8.5 years
Senior Level General Manager (Former Employee), Arlington Heights, ILJune 12, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts, great teams
Cons: work-life balance
I met so many wonderful customers who came everyday. It was my job to make their day better, but so often they made our day better. We worked our tails off, but we had the ability to hire some amazing people so working together was seamless and fun.
Headquarters