Carilion Clinic Employee Reviews

Great professional job
Financial Counselor/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 12, 2017
The best job I have had thus far. The physicians were great to work beside and the nurse was easy to work with. We were a great team together. The training was good and the instructor was very knowledgeable. There was 5 doctors at different times from Roanoke and 1 nurse and myself. The most enjoyable part was caring and talking with the children and their parents. A typical day is knowing you have helped someone facing medical difficulties with their child and the accomplishment of knowing and be told "you have helped us through this", that is a great feeling.
Pros
Stable employment, great staff
Cons
Travel to Roanoke for meetings
Carilion is the premier healthcare provided in the Roanoke Valley
Member (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I have been employed by Carilion several times in my career. They are the premier provider in southwest Virginia. I was layed off in 2010 when the Riverside 3 call center was reorganized. I would love to join them again
Strong health care services, caring professionals, poor employee support
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 30, 2016
Carilion is an excellent company to work for if you are okay with minimal compensation, minimal benefits and poor work/life balance. The nurses and clinicians are of the highest quality. Depending on the service area, the equipment is of the highest quality. People who work for Carilion truly care about the patients and their well-being. They must because they are certainly not there for the money, the benefits or the sense that they are being supported by their administration.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Dictator-like environment, low-pay
It was an overall good experience
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 15, 2016
I have suggested a Clinical Associate job to many of my friends. If you have plans to go into the medical field, I definitely encourage you to try being a CNA. It's a rough job, but if you're a strong person mentally and physically then you'll be perfect for this job!
Pros
Great people to work with and getting to be there for people at their lowest points
Cons
It's a hard job. Gotta be tough!
MOA (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VANovember 17, 2016
I have worked for Carilion Clinic for a number of years and I have found that it is a fantastic place to work. I love the feeling that you get when you help a patient better their life.
Cpht
Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 3, 2016
Fast-paced, constantly on the move.
Continuous education
Hands on management staff
Professional environment
Need to be a critical thinker
Direct part of patient care
Pros
Pension company
Cons
3% annual salary increase maximum
Hard working family atmosphere
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 20, 2016
I work for a great Director and with a great group of coworkers. The Director never hesitates to work on the floor with us if we need the extra help. I work night shift on weekends and we get a lot of admits through the Emergency Department, so you never know what type of patient you will get. We all work together cohesively which allows us to give the best patient care that the patient deserves. I love working for this company. I work with a great group of people.
Pros
PTO time accrues quickly
Cons
Not the best healthcare insurance
No Management Support
Assist parents (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 14, 2016
The managers are not fair to all employees. Some are given quotes to met while others are allow to "play" on the Internet & the personla cell phones.
Supportive and caring managers
Coder (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 27, 2016
I have been with Carillon for 3 plus years now and love my job. I know my managers will do what they can to help me succeed. The training was lengthy with helpful feedback. Education opportunites continue even now. My coworkers are thoughtful and helpful. The pay is good and the benefits are excellent. I am able to work and take care of my family well. Thanks, Carilion!
Pros
Great managers and computer support
Cons
Not much overtime and would like more schedule flexibilty
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 4, 2016
You learned something new every day and the job was always challenging. My coworkers became a second family! Because we worked with the Dept of Social Services as well as being required to know the needed documentation for Social Security it was sometimes hard to keep up with the changes due to constant government regulations, however, management went out of their way to try and keep us updated.
Pros
helping others
Cons
lack of recognition
Excellent setting for healthcare and advancement
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 7, 2016
Teamwork oriented, patient focused care. 12 hour shifts with 30 minute lunch breaks. Excellent management structure. Very responsible for actions during work.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, advancement
Cons
pay
Monopoly
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 17, 2016
Let me say this, I do not like Monopoly's, which Carilion is. Monopoly's are bad for the economy. You can't turn around here and not bump into a Carilion building. They are the driving force setting wages in the Roanoke and Southwestern area of Virginia. Because of this, wages are kept artificially low, far below national averages.

Their management hiring is a study in nepotism and their guiding philosophy is "this is the way we've always done it". No matter how bad a manager is, it would take an act of congress to get rid of them, (another characteristic of nepotism).

On a positive note, they do try to give good patient care and most of the employees try their best (when they are not being demoralized by management).
Pros
lots of clinics
Cons
wages, mamagement
Fun, Easy going
Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 4, 2016
Great Job with good benefits. Three twelve hour shifts a week leaves alot of free time to live your life and balance school. They work with scheduling also.
Worked here 25 years
Team Lead Integration Team (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VaJune 2, 2016
Worked at Carilion Clinic for 25 years and have made a lot of friends and had great relationships with the people I work with throughout the years. Many great memories and great people that I will have to say goodbye to and It will be very sad moment to walk out that door but the time is right for me.

A great place to work otherwise I wouldn't have stayed.
Pros
Great people in a small town.
Cons
Healthcare/Benefits etc.
Good Healthcare Place to work
RCM Educational Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 31, 2016
Many growth opportunities. They could try to catch up with their IT world, so behind in the systems they use, also offer more home based working for the employees, moral in the company is off somewhat.
Bad management...extreme child like environment.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 12, 2016
Good co-workers, but unappreciative floor manager. Low compensation. No matching 403B. Favoritism shown with management depending on the employee.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Low compensation, no communication from management unless it was too negative feedback.
Positive and Great place to work for
Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 8, 2016
Very exciting opportunities to learn and develop professionally

Management works well with employees

Hardest part is the flaws in the healthcare system
Pros
Great People
Cons
Long Hours
Great Place to Work
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 4, 2016
I enjoy working for Carilion for the benefits. The staff are nice to work with. I have no issues with the Company. The hardest part of the job is the being in a cubicle alone all day.
Nice Facility
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 21, 2016
Unfortunately, I did not work with Carilion for very long before I made a transfer elsewhere. But, the short time that I was there I gained great knowledge and learned how to work on a team.
Pros
good team work, great providers who took their time to also teach
Cons
long distance to walk to get the patients
Job Description
Associate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 19, 2016
I record entries to an excel spread sheet of the deposits that was done the day before. I have another spreadsheet that has the ach wires that were done. There is a payroll bank rec that I work on and I do journal entries,make deposits.My manager is flexible and as long as your work is done no problems. Co workers helpful. Job not hard.Work very enjoyable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carilion Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.