CarMax

CarMax Employer Reviews

Fortune 500
S.S. Operations Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Many events for associates
Cons: Work life balance is non existent.
Everything we do these days is based around winning another Fortune 500 award. It used to be customer service and quality cars.
lousy pay fun if your in college
Business Office Associate (Former Employee), North Attleboro, MAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: food and games plenty of room for advancement
Cons: low wages and 7 day work week
not a job if you like being yourself. they force training down your throat. they want constant role play and meetings. make a mistake and you will hear about it during every evaluation. i loved my coworkers but management was friendly but had their favorites.
pay is bi weekly and although you feel your there all the time the pay is very low. you even have to buy your own clothes from their company store and they are not cheap. also every department does the snow removal from the cars
they do reward you with food, games and such
Mechanical no thought promoting processes
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMarch 28, 2015
If you are a seasoned sales person this is not the company for you. They prefer a drone someone that can be programmed. God for bid you do not stay on the path of following the process. Micro management is their specialty.
Lack of Leadership
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Benefits, good intentions from corporate
Cons: there can be great variations of leadership from store to store
When I first started Carmax in 2004 I was very impressed with how well the company was run and felt good about the company's value and integrity. I thoroughly believed in the product and felt good about what I was doing. In recent years, Carmax has changed the quality standards on the cars and is not better than any other used car lot, may be even worse in some cases. It has become so corporate that their policies are getting in the way of selling cars and offering a quality product. Service after the sale is horrible and a lot of times it reflects on you. You are at the mercy of people that get paid by the hour and do not care if you are losing money because of them and do not treat the customer with the same importance that you do. As a Sales Associate, you are 100% commission but you are not the only person controlling your paycheck. There will be times when you have to either lose half a deal or come in on your day off because someone else didn't do their job correctly. I was also at a store where the women are treated like second class citizens and not looked at as leaders, which goes against Carmax's culture. If a woman speaks up or acts as an equal, they are looked at as if they are doing something wrong. I was constantly harassed by a sales manager there for 6-7 years because his idea of "respect" is to cower to him. He was constantly trying to get me fired after he asked me to be his boyfriend and I ignored him. The store is also very cliquish and if you are not one of the clique, you are harassed. In the support departments, new hires are coached on who – more... to get along with and who not and are pressured to harass those who are not in the clique. Management is included and it seems like they would be smart enough to take the high road but some are not and actually use their positions to intimidate and harass. The company is so big that it is unaware of what goes on. LGMs and Sales Managers have free reign to act however they want and will manipulate the truth. Carmax prides itself of having a culture of integrity and treating everyone with respect but the culture is so geared towards young people that they use it to pass judgement on people that are not "cool and part of the clique" and the policy is manipulated to harass people that are not in the clique. The Sales Managers are about 50/50 with being competent and when you are really good at your job and know your stuff, it is very frustrating to deal with a so called leader that doesn't know what he is doing and then being scolded for speaking up. I thoroughly enjoyed helping people and creating relationships was the most enjoyable part of the job. On the other end, there are a lot of customers that will abuse you because they have been beaten up at other dealers. There are some incredibly crazy people out there that will abuse you and say anything, thinking that you are the same person that just treated them badly at another dealer and the sales managers are too inexperienced to handle them. – less
Good work environment
Buyer/Manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 25, 2015
Hard to advance if not able to relocate. Inordinate amount of workplace politics. If you weren't in tight with the upper management then you would get very little merit based recognition and no promotion.
Daily work day.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Ping Pong talble and free lunches
Cons: Long hours
Our days started off with a daily huddle, we go over appointments, delivers and eoffice shifts.
I would check on all transfers commin in, follow up to do and reveiw our phone calls from the previous day.
Do our credit applications over the phone and in person. Would evelauate customers cars to be purchased. Going over transfers with co-workers working for the same customers. The hardest part of my job is communicating with the different departments to get vehicle updates.
Too many sales managers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Columbus, GAMarch 24, 2015
When you get to work you have to follow-up with previous customers to see if they are coming back in.
I've learned how to overcome a objective when the customers is hesitant to buy.
Way too many managers and micro managing
Some good co-workers some bad. Some will try to cheat you out of a sales on a split
Hardest part of the job is micro managing
Making a customer happy.
productive company
Asst. Sales Manager Finance Specialist (Former Employee), Modesto, CAMarch 23, 2015
Great company for teaching you about different cars, financing and great customer service. Cares about their customers, great training provided to become great sales rep.
Carmax is a great place to work
Senior Support Analyst II (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 18, 2015
Carmax is fun and challenging environment to work in. The pay and benefits are very competitive for the area and executive management is very hands on and in tune to all levels of the business.
Great employees and support
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Garland, TXMarch 14, 2015
Pros: great management and employees, good benefits, flexibility
Cons: high pressure on meeting numbers, long hours at times
As a part time sales associate, I have enjoyed the work here. Great management, great support. The hours are very flexible and the work is very honest.
fun place to work
Off-Lot Coordinator (Former Employee), Roseville, CAMarch 11, 2015
i loved working at car max they do so much for the employees its awesome. Its no wonder why they are int the top 100 company to work for in the us.
Excellent place to work for.
Senior Reconditioning Lead (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 9, 2015
Is the #1 used auto retailer in the world mainley because they treat their associates the best! This job has enhanced my professional development tremendously.
I loved working here!
Business Office Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 6, 2015
CarMax was probably one of my favorite places to work. I loved interacting with my customers. The team was very pleasant, and everyone worked together to provide an exceptional customer service experience to customers.
My review as a detailer
Detailer (Current Employee), Lancaster PAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: paid snow days, free lunch sometimes, two 15min on the clock breaks, 1hour lunch
Cons: only care about they people they like, poor management, immature leads
Lets start with the good, The fellow associates are great fun people to work with. Everyone is always willing to help you out when needed and the day goes fast. Now for the bad.. The only thing car max cares about is numbers, When you first get to work you get drilled on numbers. Typically you get 15mins to do a car, In buffing its the same. 15mins to buff a scratched to death black car with three stages of compound. If it's not done in 15mins management is right next to you drilling you on what's taking so long but at the same time you will get a talking on why the car isn't good enough for them once it goes threw the final quality check after they made you rush the cars. They want to have numbers and great quality at the same time which is next to impossible. Quality can't be rushed and car max can't understand that. carmax has standards on how many scratches are acceptable and recently I have been told I'm doing my job to well which is also holding me back from getting my raise! They pick on people they don't like and move up who's buddy buddy with the leads. The sad thing is carmax was not always like this, It used to be a really fun place to work and I enjoyed getting up everyday to go to work until recently we had some changes in management which is really making the experience horrible. I'm sure not all car max locations treat the employees poorly but this one in general is terrible. My experience is becoming harassment.
All about the dollar
Detail Technician (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMarch 2, 2015
Quality and standards are lax when convenient for the company. Regular employee undermining from management will have you working harder for less. Management, overall, is a joke.
Productive and fun place to work with peers and customers
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 1, 2015
Pros: crate training and team work
Cons: short breaks and long weekends
Over all CarMax is a create place to work, and there's a lot of good training a long with other benefits that come with the job..
productive
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 1, 2015
good learning environment, learned about good quality and inventory control.
good people to work with.
good benefits.
great customer service
Job focused organization centered on employee development
Collections Team Manager (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: friendly yet focused work environment
Cons: variable schedule required as trainer.
During my time at CarMax I was exposed to a management training process that enhanced my overall management abilities. The entire company worked hand in hand to push one another to their professional limits. Feedback both positive and negative was built within the organizations culture helping to improve overall performance from the frontline employee to senior management.

A typical workday for me consisted of utilizing my ability to multitask and use strong communication skills. I would start the day by reviewing company financial reporting and auditing collector performance. After which I would prepare for my training class that would consist of 12 - 20 new hires. The class consisted of two trainers, myself and a senior associate. New hires were put through a training process in which required them to pass several milestones in order to remain on as employees.
Grueling with micro-management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: good product
Cons: long hours
Don't believe the "be yourself" pitch from management. All training is focused to turn you into a lock-step robot. Swallow the kool-aid and be prepared to work beyond 40 hours for success. Great if you thrive on micro-management system.
Great People
Car Sales (Current Employee), Sacramento CAFebruary 25, 2015
Great company with awesome people to work with. The hardest part is having so much down time when I am used to a work environment that is always on the go.

1 2 3 4 5

About CarMax

CarMax was founded more than 20 years ago to fundamentally change the way car buying is done. We make the process more ethical, – Read more

CarMax Salaries