CarMax Employee Reviews

Found 1,307 reviews matching the search
Alright place to work
Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Parker, COSeptember 22, 2017
There is little to no opportunity to advance. The management is very disorganized yet micro-manage. The pay for their positions is not particularly competitive. Turnover at Carmax is incredibly high.
Pros
Discount, Great Coworkers
Cons
Micro-Managing, Disorganized
You make money if you learn the system
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2017
Easy lots of money to made if you are at the right location
Not a bad place to work. But watch out it can be cutthroat
Some of Managment was cool
You learn alot about sales here
Pros
Money
Cons
Money
A work at your own pace environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 20, 2017
Carmax is a decent place to work. I will recommend this job to people who are not lazy and are ambitious to make money and offer great customer service.
Pros
Relaxed Enviroment
Cons
Commission Only
Work environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, TXSeptember 19, 2017
it is a relax working environment. lack of good managers managing the sales consultant. there are no specific protocols for different kinds of situation. I'm surprised that managers here don't have any managerial skills. yes they can sell cars, but regarding to handling people its a big let down
Pros
may earn commission
Cons
poor management and compensation
Great Opportunity
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 19, 2017
The buyer position is demanding physically and the schedule can be taxing but it is an amazing opportunity! I loved the job and the people, but in the long run the schedule did not work for me and my family.

I still highly recommend Carmax as an employer to anyone I know who is looking for a new position.
Pros
the people, very stimulating challenging work, great training
Cons
you are outside A LOT so the weather can really ruin a day or a whole season, The health benefits need a serious upgrade, the retail hours, sometimes longer commutes can really wear on you.
Positive atmosphere and feeling of accomplished work loads
Reconditioning Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 19, 2017
Coming in to work at Carmax at the start of my shift was always a pleasant experience, I felt as if I could keep up with the workload (though it did get crazy sometimes!)

I learned a great deal about time management and contracting information to deliver and collect information and or materials necessary for the work place.

I would say the hardest part of the job was keeping up with delivery during some weeks, while it wasn't always a major influx or exodus of materials, there did come times where you did have to sacrifice some extra time to be sure you weren't holding up drivers on their delivery.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction between the customer and the employees, I almost never experienced a negative exchange, issues were handled professionally and with mutual respect on both sides.
Crazy Stressful
Senior Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXSeptember 18, 2017
I enjoyed the people that I worked around. I feel as though either management was either to relaxed or too uptight. We worked 50+ hours in the department where I was, and we didn't have to work weekends.
There was never a dull moment and every single day was sometjing different going on so they constantly kept you on your toes.
Pros
free breakfast when there were quarterky meetings
Cons
not enough pay and really long hours
great place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2017
I love working for carmax!! Its "sales" so you get what you put into it. Just work hard and you will see the benefits of working for carmax. Do the bare minimum and you will get the bare minimum on your check
Pros
great place to work
Cons
really no cons as of now
Great company
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 17, 2017
CarMax is a wonderful company with great leaders, good compensation and development opportunities. I highly recommend them. Dress code is extremely relaxed, executive team wears jeans often to promote this atmosphere.
Working At CarMax
Business Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLSeptember 16, 2017
A typical day at work is usually very fast paced and busy. You are constantly using your intuition, knowledge and skills to figure out various tasks. I have definitely learned a whole lot about training due to the fact that I have had to train several employees. I think the workplace culture is definitely a very amicable one. Everyone gets along regardless of differences and we work through the tough times like a team.
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Pay
Review Summary
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 15, 2017
CarMax is a wonderful company to work for, I highly recommend them.

Job-Seekers are forced to create reviews on every past employer before they can post their resumes on Indeed. This is not a smart move and should be reconsidered as job-seekers have no shortage of other job boards to use who do not enforce this practice.
Fast paced, fun, and a great place to find out what you can handle.
Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Great place to improve on your skills, especially if you are trying to build personal growth. Great stepping stone for anyone looking to advance. The company has many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Strong management team that backs you up in relation to company policy, they really want self development, the expectations are upfront and when meeting them growth is unlimited, benefits are great, and they take the time to train you as well.
Cons
Great company to work for.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 15, 2017
While as a company Carmax was a good place to work, however being surrounded by untrustworthy people takes a toll.
Some management team members tried to be helpful. Ver relaxed environment. Lots of gossip.
Fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 14, 2017
The work can be daunting you just need to pace yourself, however it is a fun work environment . Lots of fun positive employees and supportive managers and staff.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Crazy hours, holidays, weekends.
Leading finance company for one of the worlds largest used car dealerships
Account Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 14, 2017
A typical day includes customer service to numerous account holders via phone. It has taught me how to handle diverse work personalities as well as different work environments and management styles. It is a relaxed environment but can be fast paced and stressful as well depending on the situation. The hardest part is making all the many components of each department make sense and tie in to the big picture.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
lack of management training
I actually miss it
Business Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, TNSeptember 13, 2017
They have some pretty top notch people when I worked there. I had some amazing managers who I would work for again in a heartbeat. They also handle employee discipline very well, and ensure that you understand company policy. they do stand behind their workers.
Great place
Sr. Sales Consultant - President's Club Member (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CASeptember 13, 2017
It is a great place to work. If you are able to relocate, you can move up. Managers are willing to assist you to improve your career. Fun environment.
Pros
Culture, benefits, environment
Cons
Low pay per car sold
They worked hard but tried to have fun events for employees
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 12, 2017
It was a good work environment. I liked my peers and wanted to do a good job for the company. We were there before and after the technicians came and left.
Can be a great place to work
Buyer's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Some areas of the business aren't great, but most of the people that work there are really cool. The raises aren't a lot and part time people don't get any of the benefits.
Too many consultants
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 11, 2017
CarMax wants to make sure that no opportunity is missed and every customer is immediately taken care of. This is great but unfortunately this leads to not enough opportunity for each consultant. CarMax either needs to hire less consultants or pay more per car.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Retail hours, low compensation for time invested.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.