Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

A very enjoyable and learning work experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2017
My adviser was very patient. I learned a lot from her. She is very supportive and patient to teach you things that one might struggle in. Biggest positive is she is always available when one of her students need her. She makes sure you have an all-round development while working with her - from improving writing skills to your public presentation skills.
Pros
Supportive nature, Learning experience
Cons
Interesting mission and long hours.
Admin Coordinator, Osher Lifelong Learning Inst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15213June 22, 2017
CMU is a highly rated university with many interesting people and events. A typical day for me was reviewing the mail, data entry for members enrolling in classes, working on upcoming special events, and interacting with various university departments as needed. The hardest part of the job was trying to work in a noisy environment.
Pros
Meeting interesting people
Cons
Bureaucracy
Summer research: project leader
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 2, 2017
I was doing summer research with my physics professor. It was relatively slow paced, with 5 to 6 hours work per day. My job was not the same as a faculty but just summer research for students in assisting professor's on-going projects.
interesting
breakfast prep/ cook (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2017
It's your very average working place it can be fun at times even enjoyable but more so very frustrating. working with over thirty people it tends to get bunched up.the people were all ages some have been there for more then twenty five years easier to say I've been learning different things from them. The thing about the job i enjoyed mostly was the cooking for people .
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Difficult but enjoyable
Adjunct Instructor, English (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2017
Rigorous and stressful--however, enormous support is provided by brilliant and engaging coworkers and administrators. If you can manage the challenging stress culture, you will learn a great deal and enjoy yourself doing it. Generally speaking, temporary faculty are treated quite well.
Pros
Pay and benefits, coworkers
Cons
stress culture
Worked as a contractor
Help Desk Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2017
Not a bad place to work . I worked as a contractor and the contract came to an end. I would definitely work there gain. It is a good school for information technology.
Productive workplace with dedicated students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Italian (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2017
Fun environment for both teaching assistant and student. The job required lots of patience, but the most rewarding part was seeing how students obtained results in class.
Pros
Free tools such as computers, projectors, chalkboards, etc.
Cons
N/a
Student jobs are very laid back
Sporting Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 20, 2017
Sports staff are there to work home games for soccer, basketball, track and field and anybody else if they need extra staff. Very relaxing you get to watch the games.
Contract work, good for an extra source of income
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2017
I work remotely part time doing data work as needed. The pay is suitable for the work, and I am regularly called upon to help out. It is perfect for a student or someone looking for some extra work.
Great professors to do research with
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 26, 2017
There are many research opportunities within CMU that allow you to further your education in subjects like VR, Game Development, Etc. The professors are great and helpful and make you feel like part of a team. Teaching assistant positions allow you to develop your communication skills.
Top Research University among the world
Course Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2017
Very strong academic environment where you can meet with many talented students and top researchers. As the course assistant, you can not only strengthen what you have learned but also communicate with the professors and students.
Great School
Request For Proposal Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 28, 2017
A great school to study and employ. The school offers a wide range of subjects to study and the faculty have been very helpful. The environment however need more improvement.
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2017
the co workers were very friendly. and made the work shift a lot easier. I got to experience the different stations that was throughout the school campus. the position also helped me to manage and deal with money. taught me how to inventory on items that was needed.
Pros
got discounted meals
Cons
had to stand for long periods of time
Relaxed place to work but get to used new technology
Manager Applications (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2017
Typical work day involves meeting team members and reviewing what we did and what needs done.
Meeting functional members to get fixes new requirements
Relaxed atmosphere
Pros
Not held to time in time out
Cons
No room for movement up
Great Learning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Working in a research environment for developing the project. I am working on building an online tool to actually be used in a lab project. Great place to explore new technologies.
Decent
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Everything solely depends on the department in which you work. While there are plenty of advancement opportunities, some departments will not recommend transfers as they don't want to make new hires and offer training.
Great place to work, love it here.
Executive Assistant to VPR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Great place to work everyone is so helpful and ready to learn. Workplace is amazing, staff amazing, CMU is the place to be if you have the opportunity.
Great Place For Me To Excel At Work And School
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2017
Very Great Atmosphere Fast Paced Aloud Me To Do School Work Before Starting My Shift. Most Enjoyable Part Was Interacting With Students Foreseeing The Future Of College & The Responsibility That Comes With It.
Pros
Free Lunch Studying Being Able To Interact With The Campus On Break
I love working at CMU!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
Working at CMU has been an amazing experience that has greatly shaped my outlook on statistics and teaching. I have gained many skills working here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a job at CMU.
Productive Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University gave me a great MBA education, and the ability to work with some great professors conducting management research for new classes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3