Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Good place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 18, 2017
Although it was a part-time job, I still feel it was nice to work there and be part of the community. The professors were nice, and we did a lot of great jobs there.
Amazing place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 10, 2017
CMU is an amazing place to learn grow and work. Good employee benefits, opportunity to learn in any top end tech school at CMU, research opportunity etc.
University Ambassador and Tour Guide
UNIVERSITY TOUR GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2017
Lead over 50 campus tours for prospective students/families. Answered admission and student life questions. Represented drama school and greater student body. A worthwhile way to help recruit and educate potential students.
Great
Radio Telephone Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2017
This place taught me a lot through hands on learning. There were a lot of facilities while being a student here. I was part of multiple clubs and athletic teams.
loved this job
Assistant to the Director of Executive Education (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 31, 2017
The University is one of the nation's best. During seminar sessions, overtime was necessary but welcomed. The opportunity to introduce participants to our city was a treat to us all.
Pros
working with a diverse group of students
Cons
I had to relocate to Florida
Very relaxed atmosphere
Manager, Application Support & Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 26, 2017
Very relaxed work environment. Friendly co workers.
Updated IT technology
Knowledgeable management
Multiple aspect of software and hardware to maintain
Training available
Pros
Flex work schedule
Cons
Not much for career movement
Productive and good place to work as a PhD student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2017
There are a variety of academic resources available to students. Faculties and staffs are willing to provide professional assistance in an active way. Working environment is friendly.
Very nice modern computer lab.
Human Computer Interaction Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2017
I learned a lot in the areas of software building and testing as well as the steps need to write a successful paper. The workplace was very modern with free snacks and a lot of very smart people. I would say that the hardest part of the job was leaving since you can only accomplish so much in a 10 week internship. What I most enjoyed was not being the smartest person in the room at all times, you learn how to be humble and build great communication skills.
I liked working as a RA and TA
Researcher Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2017
The job was fairly easy, and each of my supervisors were very laid back. I felt like I was giving back to the pursuit of knowledge which was very rewarding.
Overrated
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 1, 2017
Academic staff and Professors are top notch. Staff members are grouchy and don't seem to like their jobs. Pay and benefits are good. But, overall they seem to be in a bubble environment.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Staff are clueless sometimes
Great experience
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
CMU is a great place to work. It offers a very diverse population to work with and the people are exceptionally hardworking. I enjoy working on campus.
Great programming experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 24, 2017
I am learning a lot about C++ algorithms in the form of natural language processing and in discovering if Swiss German could be the next dialect to compare with High German.
A very enjoyable and learning work experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2017
My adviser was very patient. I learned a lot from her. She is very supportive and patient to teach you things that one might struggle in. Biggest positive is she is always available when one of her students need her. She makes sure you have an all-round development while working with her - from improving writing skills to your public presentation skills.
Pros
Supportive nature, Learning experience
Cons
Interesting mission and long hours.
Admin Coordinator, Osher Lifelong Learning Inst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15213June 22, 2017
CMU is a highly rated university with many interesting people and events. A typical day for me was reviewing the mail, data entry for members enrolling in classes, working on upcoming special events, and interacting with various university departments as needed. The hardest part of the job was trying to work in a noisy environment.
Pros
Meeting interesting people
Cons
Bureaucracy
Summer research: project leader
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 2, 2017
I was doing summer research with my physics professor. It was relatively slow paced, with 5 to 6 hours work per day. My job was not the same as a faculty but just summer research for students in assisting professor's on-going projects.
interesting
breakfast prep/ cook (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2017
It's your very average working place it can be fun at times even enjoyable but more so very frustrating. working with over thirty people it tends to get bunched up.the people were all ages some have been there for more then twenty five years easier to say I've been learning different things from them. The thing about the job i enjoyed mostly was the cooking for people .
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Difficult but enjoyable
Adjunct Instructor, English (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2017
Rigorous and stressful--however, enormous support is provided by brilliant and engaging coworkers and administrators. If you can manage the challenging stress culture, you will learn a great deal and enjoy yourself doing it. Generally speaking, temporary faculty are treated quite well.
Pros
Pay and benefits, coworkers
Cons
stress culture
Worked as a contractor
Help Desk Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2017
Not a bad place to work . I worked as a contractor and the contract came to an end. I would definitely work there gain. It is a good school for information technology.
Productive workplace with dedicated students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Italian (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2017
Fun environment for both teaching assistant and student. The job required lots of patience, but the most rewarding part was seeing how students obtained results in class.
Pros
Free tools such as computers, projectors, chalkboards, etc.
Cons
N/a
Student jobs are very laid back
Sporting Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 20, 2017
Sports staff are there to work home games for soccer, basketball, track and field and anybody else if they need extra staff. Very relaxing you get to watch the games.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3