Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work.
University Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2016
I have been at Carnegie Mellon almost 20 years. Though the pay is not great and the advancement has not been good for me, it is good for some people here. The jobs are secure and the benefits are good--especially if your children go to college here. All in all, it has been a positive experience.
Pros
Secure and good benefits
Cons
Unless you are a white male, not great advancement opportunities.
Do not even consider a research position at CMU!
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2016
As a post-doc, you do not exist at this university. There is nothing for postdocs: no seminar, no gathering, no recreational activity, no information such as the salary range or the number of post-docs, and no career development.

Pay for researchers is the minimum that the law allows.

They try their best not to spend money. According to the department head, the pay is the least to discourage postdoc employment because the same money can be spent hiring graduate students and the larger the number of the graduates, the better the look of his resume.

The carpets, AC's, desks etc. in some offices are as old as the university. Very often, there are cockroaches in the hallways. The management does not even bother with keeping the space clean. Food quality on campus is miserable.
High-Paced but Rewarding
IT Systems Analyst for Students Affairs Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2016
It is definitely a high-paced work environment. However, the corporate culture is great and provides a lot of learning opportunities at all levels.
Pros
Free public transportation
Cons
Long hours, Parking is a hassle
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Onboarding Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2016
Great group of collegues and motivated team members providing centralized services regarding HR, Payroll, and provide assistance new hires completing onboarding tasks.
Nice work Environment with a nice swimming pool and a gym
Oracle DBA - PL/SQL Developer - MongoDB DBA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 25, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is by far one of the best work environment where I've worked at. This environment do take care very well of their contractors as well as full time employees.
Excellent place to work and learn
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2016
Great place to learn and work. Everyone is extremely helpful, kind, and wants to be sure you are happy with what you are doing. Very effective working environment.
Great place, you are surrounded by seriously smart people
Research Intern, Database Group (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2016
You would have productive hours day in day out
There is no scarcity of motivation
Others perform so well that you are inspired to give it your best
Challenging problems to be solved
Smartest co-workers you can ask for
You feel like working more and love your workplace
Sometimes the challenge might get to you, but that is a test of your character
You put in hours when you work best, so that the best comes out of you
Pros
Great work, great opportunities
Cons
Compensation can be higher
Could be better - focus is on the money, not the employees
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 5, 2016
Great to be faculty or a student. Employees not so much.

There is more and more bureaucracy. Pay is low. Work is intense. Stability is low for those on grants.
Productive Place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2016
During my doctoral studies I worked as an instructor for undergraduate Microeconomics and a teaching assistant for a number of different courses in both undergraduate and Ph.D. programs. Through this experience, I had the opportunity to develop my oral and writing skills in many ways and become well prepared to make an immediate contribution.
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2016
Working at CMU was a dream come true. My department of nine co-workers and I worked well together and my boss was quite supportive and gave us many chances for continuing education which I appreciated.
Teaching Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2016
Grading and helping out students. Helped professor with the coursework and assignments. Was really great experience to work as well as study.
Rewarding Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2016
I love helping students get a better understanding of finance and financial statement analysis.

Attempting to meet the needs of over 100 students can be challenging; however, my manager works tirelessly to give her teaching assistants numerous pedagogical tools to promote success, and my coworkers are supportive and dedicated.

This has been a fantastic experience.
Excellent place to do research
Senior Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is a fantastic place to do the things you love the most. Every professor I have interacted with (either as a student, or staff) was always willing to give you a hand, and it wasn't hard to find one that was interested in what you wanted to do.
Pros
Great working hours, opertunities
Cons
Typical university pay grades
It was a job
ADMISSIONS & ENROLLMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 29, 2016
The work was not what I was told it would be when I accepted the position. It was very basic, nothing challenging. There was no room for advancement within the department. Management was stuffy and condescending. I always asked for extra work to do and was told "when I have something for you, I'll let you know, just do what you are told to do." It was a very demeaning type atmosphere. Management was top heavy. Twelve managers to 4 coordinators. The culture is very liberal and the department had many foreign students. I would have liked to have worked more closely with the students.
Pros
Hour for lunch and pay was great
Cons
Management, no open door policy or room for discussion
Stimulating environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2016
We were behind locked doors because this was a government security operation. I increased my computer skills and knowledge of taking of minutes.
Housing
Desk Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2016
It's a great company/school to work for in terms of payroll and management response time. The employees at this company are also hard working and provide a lot of feedback.
Great academic research standards
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
Worked as a research assistant so was mostly focussed on my own research and didn't interact so much with employees outside of my research group. Obviously, great place for research if you're interested in academia.
Academic environment
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2016
College campus life with all of its benefits. Good place to start and mingle with the academics but long term growth is lacking. If you want some security it can be found in some of the departments.
Great Interdisciplinary Research
Doctoral Student (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2016
One of the best schools to perform interdisciplinary research. Having both a scientific and an engineering mindset, I believe I was exposed to best of both worlds during my time at CMU, from running experiments at a synchrotron to investigating mechanical performance of aerospace components.
Good place to learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2016
You learn a lot through researching and taking courses simultaneously. Hardest part is time management and the courses are really tough if you want to get the most out of them.
Pros
Great Computer Science courses
Cons
Busy life

4.3