Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Do not even consider a research position at CMU!
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2016
As a post-doc, you do not exist at this university. There is nothing for postdocs: no seminar, no gathering, no recreational activity, no information such as the salary range or the number of post-docs, and no career development.

Pay for researchers is the minimum that the law allows.

They try their best not to spend money. According to the department head, the pay is the least to discourage postdoc employment because the same money can be spent hiring graduate students and the larger the number of the graduates, the better the look of his resume.

The carpets, AC's, desks etc. in some offices are as old as the university. Very often, there are cockroaches in the hallways. The management does not even bother with keeping the space clean. Food quality on campus is miserable.
Enjoyable place to work.
University Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2016
I have been at Carnegie Mellon almost 20 years. Though the pay is not great and the advancement has not been good for me, it is good for some people here. The jobs are secure and the benefits are good--especially if your children go to college here. All in all, it has been a positive experience.
Pros
Secure and good benefits
Cons
Unless you are a white male, not great advancement opportunities.
High-Paced but Rewarding
IT Systems Analyst for Students Affairs Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2016
It is definitely a high-paced work environment. However, the corporate culture is great and provides a lot of learning opportunities at all levels.
Pros
Free public transportation
Cons
Long hours, Parking is a hassle
It was a job
ADMISSIONS & ENROLLMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 29, 2016
The work was not what I was told it would be when I accepted the position. It was very basic, nothing challenging. There was no room for advancement within the department. Management was stuffy and condescending. I always asked for extra work to do and was told "when I have something for you, I'll let you know, just do what you are told to do." It was a very demeaning type atmosphere. Management was top heavy. Twelve managers to 4 coordinators. The culture is very liberal and the department had many foreign students. I would have liked to have worked more closely with the students.
Pros
Hour for lunch and pay was great
Cons
Management, no open door policy or room for discussion
Productive Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University gave me a great MBA education, and the ability to work with some great professors conducting management research for new classes.
Great place, you are surrounded by seriously smart people
Research Intern, Database Group (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2016
You would have productive hours day in day out
There is no scarcity of motivation
Others perform so well that you are inspired to give it your best
Challenging problems to be solved
Smartest co-workers you can ask for
You feel like working more and love your workplace
Sometimes the challenge might get to you, but that is a test of your character
You put in hours when you work best, so that the best comes out of you
Pros
Great work, great opportunities
Cons
Compensation can be higher
I love working at CMU!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
Working at CMU has been an amazing experience that has greatly shaped my outlook on statistics and teaching. I have gained many skills working here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a job at CMU.
wouldnt recommend working here
custodial services (Former Employee) –  pittsburgh, paJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work consists of gathering your products for the work night and heading to your building to complete the task at hand.I learned a lot while i was there. some good and some bad. The good for example would be using new machines and different tactics. The bad would be fending for your self. Couldnt depend on management. My co-workers at CMU was some of the best ive ever had. They were all very hard workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be some of the unrealistic tasks that supervisors would expect you to finish. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the working environment. Learning new things about the buildings that i was in.
Pros
regular union raises
Cons
management
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Onboarding Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2016
Great group of collegues and motivated team members providing centralized services regarding HR, Payroll, and provide assistance new hires completing onboarding tasks.
Wonderful place to work only let down by the funding issues inherent in science work.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
I worked at the Human Computer Interaction Institute (HCII) at CMU as a lab assistant and it was easily one of the best jobs I've ever had. I learned innumerable things about language and AI tech as well as about education in general. Management was absolutely wonderful, genuinely concerned for employee's well-being and extremely personable without ever giving up leadership status. The folks I worked with were fascinating, from every walk of life and a joy to be around. The hardest part of the job was watching the same video clips again and again while trying to annotate exactly what conversational strategies were being used, balancing a smidgen of instinct with observable fact. The most enjoyable part was knowing how my work was actually making a difference in the world and furthering scientific study.
Pros
Flexible hours, very low-stress work environment, a job that truly means something to you
Cons
Oakland parking.

Want to know more about Carnegie Mellon University?

Ask a question
Housing
Desk Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2016
It's a great company/school to work for in terms of payroll and management response time. The employees at this company are also hard working and provide a lot of feedback.
Excellent place to work and learn
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2016
Great place to learn and work. Everyone is extremely helpful, kind, and wants to be sure you are happy with what you are doing. Very effective working environment.
Teaching Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2016
Grading and helping out students. Helped professor with the coursework and assignments. Was really great experience to work as well as study.
Nice work Environment with a nice swimming pool and a gym
Oracle DBA - PL/SQL Developer - MongoDB DBA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 25, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is by far one of the best work environment where I've worked at. This environment do take care very well of their contractors as well as full time employees.
Academic environment
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2016
College campus life with all of its benefits. Good place to start and mingle with the academics but long term growth is lacking. If you want some security it can be found in some of the departments.
Could be better - focus is on the money, not the employees
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 5, 2016
Great to be faculty or a student. Employees not so much.

There is more and more bureaucracy. Pay is low. Work is intense. Stability is low for those on grants.
Good place to work.
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2016
Definitely somewhere you can grow professionally, and reap the benefits of knowing people who are veterans in the field of higher education.
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2016
Working at CMU was a dream come true. My department of nine co-workers and I worked well together and my boss was quite supportive and gave us many chances for continuing education which I appreciated.
Stimulating environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2016
We were behind locked doors because this was a government security operation. I increased my computer skills and knowledge of taking of minutes.
Good place to learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2016
You learn a lot through researching and taking courses simultaneously. Hardest part is time management and the courses are really tough if you want to get the most out of them.
Pros
Great Computer Science courses
Cons
Busy life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4