Carnegie Mellon University

Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Teaching Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2016
Grading and helping out students. Helped professor with the coursework and assignments. Was really great experience to work as well as study.
Could be better - focus is on the money, not the employees
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 5, 2016
Great to be faculty or a student. Employees not so much.

There is more and more bureaucracy. Pay is low. Work is intense. Stability is low for those on grants.
Nice work Environment with a nice swimming pool and a gym
Oracle DBA - PL/SQL Developer - MongoDB DBA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 25, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is by far one of the best work environment where I've worked at. This environment do take care very well of their contractors as well as full time employees.
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2016
Working at CMU was a dream come true. My department of nine co-workers and I worked well together and my boss was quite supportive and gave us many chances for continuing education which I appreciated.
Stimulating environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2016
We were behind locked doors because this was a government security operation. I increased my computer skills and knowledge of taking of minutes.
Housing
Desk Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2016
It's a great company/school to work for in terms of payroll and management response time. The employees at this company are also hard working and provide a lot of feedback.
Productive Place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2016
During my doctoral studies I worked as an instructor for undergraduate Microeconomics and a teaching assistant for a number of different courses in both undergraduate and Ph.D. programs. Through this experience, I had the opportunity to develop my oral and writing skills in many ways and become well prepared to make an immediate contribution.
Great place, you are surrounded by seriously smart people
Research Intern, Database Group (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2016
You would have productive hours day in day out
There is no scarcity of motivation
Others perform so well that you are inspired to give it your best
Challenging problems to be solved
Smartest co-workers you can ask for
You feel like working more and love your workplace
Sometimes the challenge might get to you, but that is a test of your character
You put in hours when you work best, so that the best comes out of you
Pros
Great work, great opportunities
Cons
Compensation can be higher
Excellent place to do research
Senior Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is a fantastic place to do the things you love the most. Every professor I have interacted with (either as a student, or staff) was always willing to give you a hand, and it wasn't hard to find one that was interested in what you wanted to do.
Pros
Great working hours, opertunities
Cons
Typical university pay grades
Academic environment
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2016
College campus life with all of its benefits. Good place to start and mingle with the academics but long term growth is lacking. If you want some security it can be found in some of the departments.
Good place to work.
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2016
Definitely somewhere you can grow professionally, and reap the benefits of knowing people who are veterans in the field of higher education.
Rewarding Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2016
I love helping students get a better understanding of finance and financial statement analysis.

Attempting to meet the needs of over 100 students can be challenging; however, my manager works tirelessly to give her teaching assistants numerous pedagogical tools to promote success, and my coworkers are supportive and dedicated.

This has been a fantastic experience.
Awesome experience
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2016
Good working environment. Brilliant people with excellent academic record. Cutting edge research is conducted in the many departments of CMU.
Great academic research standards
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
Worked as a research assistant so was mostly focussed on my own research and didn't interact so much with employees outside of my research group. Obviously, great place for research if you're interested in academia.
It was a job
ADMISSIONS & ENROLLMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 29, 2016
The work was not what I was told it would be when I accepted the position. It was very basic, nothing challenging. There was no room for advancement within the department. Management was stuffy and condescending. I always asked for extra work to do and was told "when I have something for you, I'll let you know, just do what you are told to do." It was a very demeaning type atmosphere. Management was top heavy. Twelve managers to 4 coordinators. The culture is very liberal and the department had many foreign students. I would have liked to have worked more closely with the students.
Pros
Hour for lunch and pay was great
Cons
Management, no open door policy or room for discussion
Good place to learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2016
You learn a lot through researching and taking courses simultaneously. Hardest part is time management and the courses are really tough if you want to get the most out of them.
Pros
Great Computer Science courses
Cons
Busy life
Wonderful place to work only let down by the funding issues inherent in science work.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
I worked at the Human Computer Interaction Institute (HCII) at CMU as a lab assistant and it was easily one of the best jobs I've ever had. I learned innumerable things about language and AI tech as well as about education in general. Management was absolutely wonderful, genuinely concerned for employee's well-being and extremely personable without ever giving up leadership status. The folks I worked with were fascinating, from every walk of life and a joy to be around. The hardest part of the job was watching the same video clips again and again while trying to annotate exactly what conversational strategies were being used, balancing a smidgen of instinct with observable fact. The most enjoyable part was knowing how my work was actually making a difference in the world and furthering scientific study.
Pros
Flexible hours, very low-stress work environment, a job that truly means something to you
Cons
Oakland parking.
Great learning place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Great place to work .
Intelligent and friendly people all around and real learning experience.

Worked here as a student research assistant. Strongly recommended.
Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2016
I am a graduate student assistant at Carnegie Mellon. The people here, my boss and everyone are very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free Snacks, Coffee
Busy place to work
Teaching Assistance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2016
I think working here is really challenging sometime. This work could affect your normal study if you work too long time a week.

4.3