Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Great learning place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Great place to work .
Intelligent and friendly people all around and real learning experience.

Worked here as a student research assistant. Strongly recommended.
Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2016
I am a graduate student assistant at Carnegie Mellon. The people here, my boss and everyone are very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free Snacks, Coffee
Busy place to work
Teaching Assistance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2016
I think working here is really challenging sometime. This work could affect your normal study if you work too long time a week.
Great Interdisciplinary Research
Doctoral Student (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2016
One of the best schools to perform interdisciplinary research. Having both a scientific and an engineering mindset, I believe I was exposed to best of both worlds during my time at CMU, from running experiments at a synchrotron to investigating mechanical performance of aerospace components.
Great.
linux system administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2015
There have been days I did not want to go home.

...plenty of time to learn and grow, my superior is very hands off. A great boss!
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Benfits are fair.
A place where you can really make the world better
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2015
During my studying in CMU, i've to say it's a fantastic place. I meet with many talented people here and learned a lot from them. With the supervision of professor levent burak kara, I improved my skills and widen my horizon to a new level, hoping to bring my skills into the industry.
A great university with excellent people and facilities
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2015
Carnegie Mellon University is one of the best universities in the world. Its Chemical engineering department is ranked in top 15 in the US. The research in the department is cutting edge.
RA job is fun and beneficial
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2015
It is one of the most fun jobs on campus. Fairly competitive. 1/3 of the applicants got the job. Co-workers are awesome. Boss, aka Housefellow has good management skills. Achieve personal growth through this job.
Great place for academic research
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2015
CMU is a great school especially for Materials Science.
It has great faculty from whom you can experience world-leading research in the field of Materials Science.
Energetic research team with experienced coworkers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2015
The main task was basically to conduct Post Occupancy Evaluation as a research assistant at the Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics at Carnegie Mellon University. It was not about seating myself on a chair and staring at the computer screen for the whole day. Instead, I sometimes went for a on-site investigation in a building and sometimes made copies of notes and collected data for analysis. The hardest part was once that I could not communicate in English with my co-workers well enough for them to understand my ideas instantly, while now I have been able to do so. Love the guys from different countries all round the globe and the varieties of our projects.
Great work place
Gardner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2015
Gardening and up keep of area assigned. Excellent benefits. Great co-workers and team work. Involved in safety committee meeting for a safe work place.
wouldnt recommend working here
custodial services (Former Employee) –  pittsburgh, paJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work consists of gathering your products for the work night and heading to your building to complete the task at hand.I learned a lot while i was there. some good and some bad. The good for example would be using new machines and different tactics. The bad would be fending for your self. Couldnt depend on management. My co-workers at CMU was some of the best ive ever had. They were all very hard workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be some of the unrealistic tasks that supervisors would expect you to finish. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the working environment. Learning new things about the buildings that i was in.
Pros
regular union raises
Cons
management
Satisfying research
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2015
Very glad to be a part of the Bruchez group working on fluorogenic dyes for biological applications. The CMU experience is truly wonderful.
A unique and interesting work environment
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2015
A unique and interesting work environment. Cultures in schools and departments may vary slightly, but the overall experience is positive and you are guaranteed to meet great co-workers (future friends).
Inspiring place, but you'll work a lot!
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2015
Great place to work. Culture totally depends on the college or institute you work for within the university. For example, the business school will be a lot more business-like compared to the fine arts school, where things are a lot more relaxed. Either way, you will work hard -- but it's a great respectable university. The new president is making a lot of great strides. The only downside, as with a lot of higher ed institutions, you often work in a silo.
Great pay, insular place
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 25, 2015
CMU pays faculty well, but it is also a competitive and challenging environment. Outstanding students, beautiful campus, consumed by a work ethic that is unlike 99% of private industry. As the students attest, overwork is celebrated.
Pros
Pay, Students, Campus Location
Cons
Work-life Balance
The grader's working is pretty good.
Grader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2015
 Help grading in Hydraulic Structure.

I learned how to communicate with the students as well as the teacher. I also learn some about hydraulic structure again.

The hardest part of the work is that I have to spend some time on grading, despite the fact that I was really busy at that time.
Love CMU
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2015
Carnegie Mellon University is a geek school. You work hard and you learn a lot from it.
The graduate assistant is a position that graduate student help teachers to do some researches.
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  PittsburghApril 3, 2015
Great opportunities to perform cutting edge research with talented students and faculty but very high-stress environment with little flexibility.
Pros
Great opportunities to perform cutting edge research
Cons
high-stress environment
Productive and interesting work place
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2015
Working at the Library at Carnegie Mellon means interacting with a large variety of people. I consider this a benefit as the days are rarely the same twice.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
normal academic issues

4.4