Carnegie Mellon University

Carnegie Mellon University Employer Reviews

Productive and interesting work place
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: normal academic issues
Working at the Library at Carnegie Mellon means interacting with a large variety of people. I consider this a benefit as the days are rarely the same twice.
Great research environment. Nice working environment.
Asset Preservation Manager & Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 27, 2015
CMU provides a great environment for anyone who like computer science. All programs are related to CS so that there are a lot of interdisciplinary studies.
Good intern
BIM Engineer Research Intern (Former Employee), PittsburghFebruary 14, 2015
● Developed plugins for Autodesk Revit Building Information software in C#.
● Created Sensor linkage for building information model of Scaife Hall at CMU requested by Toshiba Corporation.
● Modeled highway bridges located at Boston and calibrated them based on Laser-scanned files.
Fun
Building Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 10, 2015
I was the building supervisor which mainly entailed handling communications between the university and all student organizations.
Excellent University
Graduate Education (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2015
This is an creative and productive place. It gives me freedom to learn what I want. I really like the academic atmosphere here and really enjoy studying here.
Productive friendly working enviroment
Research assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2015
As a PhD. student, I am an independent researcher. My typical day at work starts with brainstorming ideas and analyzing my available data to verify my ideas. Sometimes when I come up with great ideas I often go to my adviser to discuss about them. He is always available to listen to my ideas, and helps me realize many aspects of my ideas.

Over the years, I have learned to become a good problem solver, a good data analyzer, and be creative or think-outside-of-a-box person.

Every week, I have a group meeting with colleagues. I have learned to be a team player. But in some occasions, I led meetings' agenda. I have had respects and acknowledgements from them. It is not quite easy to convince senior physicists, but if you present your ideas with enough evidences they will believe you-that is what really great about our group, people are open-minded.

I have one main thesis project but I usually work on several projects at a same times during my PhD years. I do enjoy multitasking because they keep me busy and make me feel, embarrassedly, important. Yet sometimes I feel overwhelmed and stressed out. That I guess is the hardest part of my research career.

I enjoy doing data analysis because I am always curious about what I can learn from the data. Another enjoyable aspect of my works is that every project most likely needs its own approach. It helps me improve my problem solving skill and my creativity.
Great place to work, challenging, and good benefits
Research Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2015
Hardest part of working in research at CMU is the lack of job security. When funding is a problem, you need to look for other work.
A great School to Attend
Student (Former Employee), PittsburghJanuary 20, 2015
As a student it is a very intense school to be in. The workload is very heavy, but learning experience is rewarding as well.
Engaging environment with lots of mentors
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day usually has me going through lab and helping students. Grading is also done by me.
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Good work environment. Working with graduate students and professor was professional but not uptight. I was given plenty of freedom but was given enough guidance that I wasn't in the dark.
Teaching Assistant jobs
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: good resources
Cons: poor teaching instruction
Generally it is good for practicing English skills with basic statistics concepts, but it counts little if you wants to polish it as a formal job experience.
Great place to work!
FINANCIAL ASSISTANT - OFFICE OF STUDENT ACTIVITIES (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: campus activities to allow career and personal development, time off and flexibility of schedule when necessary
Cons: n/a
An amazing campus with diverse student population and extremely talented staff and faculty dedicated to ensuring student success
Head Teaching Assistant for a decision making class
Head Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2014
• Managed a group of 5 TAs and defined the team’s objectives at the beginning of each semester
• Implemented strategic methods to bolster the understanding of material for 110 graduate students
• Delegated and directed workflow for the team to ensure efficiency and quality of teaching
• Taught students how to produce optimal solutions under multiple constraints using quantitative methods
Carnegie Mellon
Paid grader (Former Employee), Paid grader for courseNovember 4, 2014
CMU is a good university to study and I am a paid grader for course Geotechnical Engineering
Great culture and environment
Admin (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: environment, free bus pass
Cons: parking, compensation
The environment is fun and it is a great place to work. Unfortunately, it can be a challenge to move up- because it is a great place no one ever leaves!
Great place for research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 1, 2014
I have worked as a research scholar in CMU for the last 6 years. It is a great place to conduct research. You come in contact with extremely bright people from all over the world. You have access to the worlds best computing facilities and experts.

Great location. Pittsburgh is a wonderful place to stay.
Research associate one (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 27, 2014
As it goes for academic research this is the place you want to work in Pittsburgh. Unlike the University of Pittsburgh, CMU pays you, and the administartion is there to help you and not keep their boot on your head. It is hard to get in but if you do, it is a wonderful place to work.
Place to grow your knowledge!
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
This university is one of the best places for research and development. CMU has all the resources to help researchers in ther findings!
Challenging Research Environment
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 15, 2014
If you are looking for a research position that is challenging and calls you to meet high expectations, Carnegie Mellon is for you. If you want an easy job, don't go to grad school.
Energizing, challenging, and enjoyable
FIRST® Robotics Outreach Program Manager (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: salary
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be surrounded by like-minded people that strive for excellence. There is no typical day at work.

1 2 3 4

About Carnegie Mellon University

We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon – Read more

Carnegie Mellon University Photos