Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Great School
Request For Proposal Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 28, 2017
A great school to study and employ. The school offers a wide range of subjects to study and the faculty have been very helpful. The environment however need more improvement.
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2017
the co workers were very friendly. and made the work shift a lot easier. I got to experience the different stations that was throughout the school campus. the position also helped me to manage and deal with money. taught me how to inventory on items that was needed.
Pros
got discounted meals
Cons
had to stand for long periods of time
Relaxed place to work but get to used new technology
Manager Applications (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2017
Typical work day involves meeting team members and reviewing what we did and what needs done.
Meeting functional members to get fixes new requirements
Relaxed atmosphere
Pros
Not held to time in time out
Cons
No room for movement up
Great Learning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Working in a research environment for developing the project. I am working on building an online tool to actually be used in a lab project. Great place to explore new technologies.
Decent
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Everything solely depends on the department in which you work. While there are plenty of advancement opportunities, some departments will not recommend transfers as they don't want to make new hires and offer training.
Great place to work, love it here.
Executive Assistant to VPR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Great place to work everyone is so helpful and ready to learn. Workplace is amazing, staff amazing, CMU is the place to be if you have the opportunity.
Great Place For Me To Excel At Work And School
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2017
Very Great Atmosphere Fast Paced Aloud Me To Do School Work Before Starting My Shift. Most Enjoyable Part Was Interacting With Students Foreseeing The Future Of College & The Responsibility That Comes With It.
Pros
Free Lunch Studying Being Able To Interact With The Campus On Break
I love working at CMU!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
Working at CMU has been an amazing experience that has greatly shaped my outlook on statistics and teaching. I have gained many skills working here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a job at CMU.
Productive Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University gave me a great MBA education, and the ability to work with some great professors conducting management research for new classes.
High-Paced but Rewarding
IT Systems Analyst for Students Affairs Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2016
It is definitely a high-paced work environment. However, the corporate culture is great and provides a lot of learning opportunities at all levels.
Pros
Free public transportation
Cons
Long hours, Parking is a hassle
Do not even consider a research position at CMU!
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2016
As a post-doc, you do not exist at this university. There is nothing for postdocs: no seminar, no gathering, no recreational activity, no information such as the salary range or the number of post-docs, and no career development.

Pay for researchers is the minimum that the law allows.

They try their best not to spend money. According to the department head, the pay is the least to discourage postdoc employment because the same money can be spent hiring graduate students and the larger the number of the graduates, the better the look of his resume.

The carpets, AC's, desks etc. in some offices are as old as the university. Very often, there are cockroaches in the hallways. The management does not even bother with keeping the space clean. Food quality on campus is miserable.
Enjoyable place to work.
University Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2016
I have been at Carnegie Mellon almost 20 years. Though the pay is not great and the advancement has not been good for me, it is good for some people here. The jobs are secure and the benefits are good--especially if your children go to college here. All in all, it has been a positive experience.
Pros
Secure and good benefits
Cons
Unless you are a white male, not great advancement opportunities.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Onboarding Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2016
Great group of collegues and motivated team members providing centralized services regarding HR, Payroll, and provide assistance new hires completing onboarding tasks.
Excellent place to work and learn
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2016
Great place to learn and work. Everyone is extremely helpful, kind, and wants to be sure you are happy with what you are doing. Very effective working environment.
Teaching Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2016
Grading and helping out students. Helped professor with the coursework and assignments. Was really great experience to work as well as study.
Could be better - focus is on the money, not the employees
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 5, 2016
Great to be faculty or a student. Employees not so much.

There is more and more bureaucracy. Pay is low. Work is intense. Stability is low for those on grants.
Nice work Environment with a nice swimming pool and a gym
Oracle DBA - PL/SQL Developer - MongoDB DBA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 25, 2016
Carnegie Mellon University is by far one of the best work environment where I've worked at. This environment do take care very well of their contractors as well as full time employees.
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2016
Working at CMU was a dream come true. My department of nine co-workers and I worked well together and my boss was quite supportive and gave us many chances for continuing education which I appreciated.
Stimulating environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2016
We were behind locked doors because this was a government security operation. I increased my computer skills and knowledge of taking of minutes.
Housing
Desk Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2016
It's a great company/school to work for in terms of payroll and management response time. The employees at this company are also hard working and provide a lot of feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3