Carolina Cargo Employee Reviews in United States

Great company to work for if you don't judge from others' bad experiences.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 29, 2016
I've read a lot of reviews and did my research and against better judgement, signed on for the long haul. It's been 2 months now and I will say that they have treated me very well. I have had the opportunity to be trained by a certified trainer with a good history with the company. I can see how people get irritated by the pay, truck issues, and other drivers/managers, but the bottom line is that this job is what you make of it. If you call ahead to verify load info, pickups, and drops, you can plan around and prepare for inconveniences. This job has been described to me as a lifestyle choice and it is just that, a completely different lifestyle. You need to be able to live on the road and away from home for long periods of time. As for new drivers, the real world advice I have for you is this: Take your time, don't push yourself too hard, and have some patience. Like any new job, there's a starting point and you don't make outrageous money right off the rip. A month, two, maybe three? I can't give anyone a definate time frame because everyone's situation is a little different. As for the driver managers.... Be kind to them and they will reward you. Hate on them and their wrath will reign down. If you have issues with another driver, try to work it out and if all else fails, call your driver manager, and try to get re-assigned with a different co-driver. They are good people and do realize not every two people can work so close to each other. Nonetheless, try to be understanding and patient.
Pros
more training miles than other companies, not micromanaged, Friendly dispatch with a sense of humor
Cons
long days, waiting for loading/unloading (welcome to trucking, guys...)
horrible
CDL truck driver (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 26, 2016
Not a good company to work for they give you messed up trucks to drive the third day the truck broke down and got fixed five days later and the load we were suppose to pick up someone else got and now are having to wit on another load.
Great start
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockhill,SCApril 17, 2016
I think it's one of the better companies out there when it comes to giving people second chances, but would be in a better shape if they were to take the drivers opinions into consideration and get rid of the team driving are or at least give you the choice of teaming with someone or riding solo.
Pros
Great learning experience and management was cool although they don't get the credit
Cons
Having to drive 5000 miles before you get paid and always holding a check in the hole.
I was a learning experience
Class-A Tractor trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 1, 2016
The overall experience was a learning one I was sat a lot without a load. The company only ran teams and I had co-drivers who should not been behind the wheel of a truck.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
slow pay sat alot
It was okay
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 22, 2016
It was a different work environment that provided enough experience to move forward in the industry of transportation ,and I do appreciate the opportunity of driving for this company I was excited to move on to a more lucrative sense of employment.
Pros
experience
Cons
otr
Excellent trucking company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. Most of there trucks are 2013 to 2016 Peterbils. If your new management will train you to be a great driver. They don't put to much pressure on you and they are big on safety.

The owner is a good guy that believes in giving people a chance to make a good living. He offers great health insurance and pays a good portion of your premium. They don't shut down on the weekends but if you don't have a load on Friday you will more than likely have the weekend off. The pay is OK but you have to be patient. Once you start getting paid you will average about $1200 every 10 days after taxes. As a new hire you will get a $300 bonus after your 1st turn... If you make it a year there bonus program will pay out $5000 the 1st year. You can make money here but it's not just given to you, you have to earn it!

They have a bad safty rating because they believe in giving people a chance in life NOT because they aren't safe. New drivers tend to make small mistakes and the drivers are who makes a company safty record. The main thing here is being patient for your 1st check. It take's about 3 weeks to get your 1st check. Once you get your 1st check you will be fine. As far as needing money to live the company will not let you starve. They will advance you $50 at a time up to $100 per week...

I've driven for 3 years & worked at C.C. most of the drivers they hire are fresh out of school with no experience. They have no idea what to expect in there NEW trade. Everything they think they know is from "stories" they heard in school or from other drivers. So they
  more... go into a NEW trade, 1st trucking job, & it's not what they expected. So they write a bunch of bad reviews as if they are a veteran driver with 20 years of experience.....

Caralina Cargo is a caring company that offers driver's with No Experience, troubled background, or a not so perfect MVR a chance to be a driver when more than likely noone else will... They do NOT take advantage of this like some claim or do they under pay you. Again most of these claims are from people new to the industry with no experience. The job wasn't what they thought and wanted a reason to blame there unsuccessful experience on.

My overall experience with Carolina Cargo is good. Be patient with your 1st check, remember your not there only driver & the world does not revolve you & you only, & nothing will be handled to you. Like everything else in life you WORK for what you get and truck driving is a job! It's a job, no you didn't hit the lotto, Truck Driving is a job! Good luck
Pros
Travel the country, your not micromanaged, Health Insurance
Cons
Truck Stop prices are much higher so food cost is about $10 per meal.
Experience that's all
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCSeptember 13, 2015
Gain your experience if you can't get hired anywhere else. Be prepared to ride with a unstable partner. Bonuses are often forgotten so get used to .10 per mile. I truly would look elsewhere first
Pros
Experience
Cons
Everything else
enjoyed each week getting ready to go across the country
Driver+ (Former Employee) –  Columbia,SC.September 8, 2015
Dealing with different personalities and interacting with co-workers and management. Hardest part of job was driving with different drivers each week. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving and seeing the countryside. Also, meeting people.
Otr
Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond acOctober 20, 2014
This is one of the worst companies they want you to drive 5000 miles before you get paid you could go for a month without getting paid they only care about they load management is Nasty after hours they don't want to talk to you. They hire Felons so they can take advantage of you
Pros
there is none
Cons
bad pay bad management
fun place to work
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCAugust 8, 2014
high energy, good food, decent prices, good customer service
Carokina Cargo
driver (Current Employee) –  SCJune 20, 2014
Great place to work for job experince great place for driver just out of school
Pros
good job experince
Cons
no grow
productive and nice with cable tv
Over the Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 18, 2014
fun days and learning the roads and managing my hours and good co workers long hours
Pros
free lunches
Cons
couldnt see everything
cool place to get started, or if you have a felony
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  RockHill, SCFebruary 6, 2014
Loved driving trucks over the road, just didn't like the co-driver concept. I managed.
Pros
job freedom
Cons
co-drivers
plenty of miles
current driver (Current Employee) –  everywhereNovember 18, 2013
I just started out with the company and i haven't stop rolling until the truck was in the shop, as for pay you get,what you drive for! More miles more money, it pays the bills
Pros
all the miles you can handle
Cons
haven't experienced any???? yet, but i'm sure their are some, like any other company
the worst company ever
Long Distance truck driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCSeptember 16, 2013
this is the worst company ever. terrible equipment . dispatch is the worst. they could care less about you. they rush to get you to California and then you sit. no detention pay or lay over pay. i sat for up to four or five days. then it takes you 2 or more days to pick up and you still aren't making any any money. but if you need the experience then you have to do what you have to do.they take full advantage of that and only pay 10 cents a mile.on top of that you get treated like well you know.
Pros
none. experience only
Cons
you name it.
Challenging position with lots of growth
Safety Director/ HR manager (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 23, 2013
My day to day functions include creating, implementing, and managing safety and compliance programs, policies, and incentives. This job, and industry as a whole, lead to a setting of constant learning and improving.
Pros
casual, open door atmosphere
benefits
lots of driving as team drivers
OTR driver -reffer (Former Employee) –  rockhill,s.cJune 11, 2013
it was a good start out company for me because alot of other companys would'nt touch me at all.Reason why the other companys did'nt is that i had some trouble in the past, but carolina cargo gave me a chance and thats a real plus with them.also you gets lot miles driving as teams.If you go work for them at least stay with them a full year so your work history want look so bad.
Pros
a good company to start out with if you have a not so good background
Cons
low pay, but you have to start some where
great dispatch like family
otr driver (Former Employee) –  east coast - west coastMay 22, 2013
It is a great place to get your feet wet. But there are other companies that hire felons and pay you what you are worth. Ask yourself " what is it worth to be away from my loved ones?"
My number was not $400.00. That is your average check at Carolina. But if it doesn't matter it's a good place to start.
Pros
hires felons
Cons
low pay
too much work for low pay
driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 30, 2013
after hours support is hit and miss if you get someone then your good as gold for your after hours event/issue otherwise your waiting on office hours for help. not good for 24/7 industry. expect to do all your own load information such as address phone numbers and appointment times they only have names for where your picking up.
Pros
they are friendly people
Cons
everything else / low pay
long distance driving
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 19, 2013
i would do a 15min pre-trip then i would drive 48 states....i would back into loading dock....to get load or unloaded.
Pros
a job
Cons
10 cents a mile....

2.6