Carolinas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Staff RN
Staff Registered Nurse - Cardiac Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 20, 2017
Took care of cardiac patients on telemetry.The typical nurse patient ratio was 4-5.It was fast paced unit with a lot of discharges and admissions. It was a great learning unit.
Pros
good learning opportunities
Cons
fast paced unitl
Productive work place
Behavioral Health Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2017
Working at Carolina Medical center was a great experience for me. I had the opportunity to learn a lot about Psychotic behaviors. I would work here again...
Pros
team work atmoshere
Cons
short breaks
great place to work
RN- Medical-Surgical/Telemetry/Observation (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 17, 2017
Great place to work, and meet new people. Learn new skills. Enjoy patient interaction. Management is great, helpful and accommodating. Wish they had better food quality.
Hostile work environment with poor pay
CST (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 22, 2017
Carolinas Medical Center Main OR is hands down the worst place I've worked at. The pay is so low that it is difficult to make ends meet on one salary. The majority of surgeons are beyond rude and management is a joke. Most people are unhappy working there, which creates a hostile work environment, especially with new staff. Training is subpar - expect to get thrown into huge cases outside of your hired discipline and then get screamed at for not knowing the case.

When you consider the turnover of nurses and techs, it's obvious it's a terrible place to work. They do offer tuition reimbursement for nurses and techs who attended CCHS and stay for 1-2 years depending on their position. If you took away the tuition reimbursement, however, I don't think anybody would work there.

In summary, I nearly changed careers because of Carolinas Medical Center Main. Luckily, before leaving the field completely, I decided to try my luck out of state, which ended up being the best move I could have made. I more than doubled my salary, have free medical insurance and work in a fun, friendly environment where surgeons aren't prima donnas. Ironically, a coworker did residency at CMC Main and said the same things. If you can tolerate misery for a year or two to get a free education, this is a good stepping stone to bigger and better things. If you'd rather be happy, look elsewhere!
Pros
Modern facility, tuition reimbursement
Cons
hostile work environment, low wages, poor insurance
I love CMC
Registered Nurse (PRN) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2017
I love CMC, my manager, coworkers and my job. I love going to work there even if the wages are not the best. I love the floors i have worked so far. Great people
Pros
the culture
Cons
the pay
Retail Manager/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 2, 2017
Great place to work , fun and exciting. Love being of service and seeing new faces every day. Free meals for cafeteria workers and love the food there.
CMC OR RN Payscale Was a Joke
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 13, 2017
I worked in the OR and the fact that there was so much turnover and so many new nurses proved that they were not paying a fair wage, yet they refuse to budge because there are a lot of nurses in the area. I am not sure why CMC does not pay nurses based on the cost of living in the Charlotte area. I never seemed to be able to get ahead. Moving from one state away was a $3/hour cut to arrive in a city with more expensive gas, groceries, and rent. Needless to say, I moved on. I will not return to Charlotte until I am an NP, and I will be avoiding CMC and its low wages.
The management in the OR was always changing as well. The pros were that it had decent software, plenty of OR Techs/Assistants, and a fairly organized case cart system. Negatives were the chaotic turnovers - pushing for 20 minutes or less on large cases like spines, the mostly rude or indifferent surgeons, and the management that was hands off with the day to day operation (i.e. never in the rooms to see what was going on). The health insurance was terrible, also.
Enjoyable aspects were the fact that the Scrub Techs were very good (and also vastly underpaid), the unit was secured, and the OR rooms were large with fairly up to date equipment.
Pros
Large OR suites, skilled Scrub Techs
Cons
The payscale, the health insurance, hands-off mgmt style
It was a great place to work at
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2017
I worked the Baylor shift while employed there and I loved it. Wish that businesses still offered this shift. It allowed me the chance to further my education.
Pros
Opportunity to continue my education
Cons
Great place, except for ole' poitics
Supervising Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2017
As staffing has generational turn off this will become a great place to work. Really enjoyed the hospital and being a part of such a fine teaching facility.
This place was good.
Healthcare Tech (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 3, 2017
Although it was an inpatient setting, it was essentially a nursing home. The hours were good and they pay was decent. The work could be a bit much tho. The nurses felt that nursing assistants had their job, and the nurses had their jobs. There was not much teamwork between the nurses and the techs.
Large, fast paced hospital has many job opportunities for career growth
Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist, RN (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 1, 2017
This workplace focuses on patients and their safety with collaborative, efficient and effective efforts from process improvements and keen leadership. Friendly people take pride in their work and collaborate in fast-paced hospital. Patient focus is key.
Pros
Magnet status, teaching facility
Cons
clock in/out lunch, physically hard work days 12 hr shifts on units
Great
C/a patient service (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 23, 2017
I've had a pretty good experience over all I enjoyed the staff and others and also enjoyed most benefits the company offered
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Short breaks
great place to work
EMT/Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2017
Chs is a great place to work, great benefits, just be ready to want to go higher. some of the policies are unreasonable, like the attendance policy, if family gets sick you better not go over your allotted days or else. But all in all a great place.
ok
Registered Nurse-ER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I learned that working in an ED you always have to be on your toes for whatever may come through the doors. Some days are horrible and others are reminders why I became a nurse.
Awesome Place
Unit Secretary, ICU/ PCU Unit (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 10, 2017
Very fast place , organized in every department . I worked in the emergency room department , everyone worked as a team to keep the ER running smoothly.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
To far away from where I live now .
Productive workkplace with many sister hospital to work for.
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 9, 2017
I have experienced working for this company for nearly 14 years and they have care for the employees as they do the patients. I was able to supply for my family here, too.
Pros
They have given us birthday card with meal tickets and award tickets for outstanding work.
Cons
I have relocated and was not able to take my job with me
Security officer I
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 2, 2017
This place is a complete joke. Post positions for 12 hours and you cant leave unless you are relieved. NO room for advancement and turn over is constant. Security Management is run buy people who do not care, egos, and they all about themselves. You have to write reports on everything. If you go use the bathroom its a report...Complete waste of time. I can not stress this enough, they don't care about you!!!

You cant express your opinion as it does not matter and they will get rid of you if you do. The hospital is very political and you feel very under appreciated. CMC main the bottom feeder of hospitals, they bring the scum of the earth into this hospital and will take their side over any employee. Stay away form this place if looking for a security job.

When you start fellow security officers will look at you like you have business here, they will not talk to you and treat you like a piece of trash. You have to complete their 2 week "training academy" which a 3 year old could do before other officers will even look at you. I'm a former police officer, worked for another hospital as security and this place takes the cake. BEWARE!!!!
Cons
One of my favorite places to work
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 28, 2016
A great place to work with a family feeling. Everyone works together as a team. I would highly recommend it to anyone in need of employment. Fun, stress free environment where the workload was very balanced and not too overwhelming.
Pros
Company lunches, hour lunches, convenient to shopping center
Cons
Must start as a temp and be employed for at least 6 months to become permanent
Very great place to work and get experience in healthcare.
Assisting nursing staff (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28203December 22, 2016
I truly love the face that I have learned so much in my career at CMC main.This facility has so many doors of opportunity where you can grow in you career.
its a joh
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 19, 2016
it is a job, I like the different patients i run into and family's. But the work load is a bit heavy. Overall i like it. But looking for something in office. Im currently in school for CMA and want a different scheme.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carolinas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2