Caromont Employee Reviews

A structured yet relaxed environment
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJuly 24, 2015
I enjoyed both positions while at Caromont Health. Working in the medical records department was the perfect environment for not only working as a team, but also working independently. While working in that department, I realized that no job is irrelevant in any work, especially healthcare. When most people think about healthcare, employees with clinical experience comes to mind first and foremost, which is understandable. However, working in medical records gave me the opportunity to contribute to a patient's care and diagnosis from behind the scenes while still directly communicating with physicians, nurses, physician's offices, other hospitals, as well as patients and family members after discharge. I worked a later shift and on weekends, so contact with supervisors was very limited, which could be frustrating at times, but that enabled me to take more responsibility, holding myself accountable for my time, quality of work, and in many cases, practice resourcefulness. The hardest thing about the job was, being in a hospital environment, the mandatory holidays, as well as the possibility of mandatory shut-ins during severe weather in order to assure all departments would be staffed. This is, of course, necessary, and part of the commitment in healthcare, which ultimately brings employees closer together because it shows that "we're all in this together." The other position as a registration clerk in the emergency room was also a very independent position and required direct contact with the public usually in their worst experiences. I learned a lot in the approximately  more... seven years total I was a registration clerk. The main thing being that no matter how bad you're day is going at, you have to be your best. You will encounter people that feel worse, who are hurting, scared, upset or angry, who didn't plan on being there that day, whereas you did. The very best part of that job was being able to make any kind of positive difference in their visit, whether it's taking a minute to listen, getting them a blanket, or helping them connect with a family member, This job brought its share of stress with it. It could be difficult to get accurate information from someone who refused to give it and also with those who were unable to give it. Everyday would prove different with different people, with different illnesses who present with all different kinds of emotions and circumstances. It did feel rewarding at the end of the day though, knowing that I may had made a difference, no matter how small.  less
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Mandatory weekends and holidays
In need of management overhaul
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gastonia HospitalMay 27, 2015
Coworkers are great and pay is comparable to surrounding hospitals. Management is unstable and does not show value of employees. There's a constant repeat of "it's not in the budget" when asking for new staff, supplies, ect. However, the budget allows for a private cafeteria with free food for physicians, extreme bonuses for upper level mgmt, and numerous other perks.
Moving or transferring into a better position occurs under the "it's who you know" route rather than having experience, knowledge, and skill.
Pros
coworkers and pay
Cons
unstable and untrustworthy management
Not for Profit Healthcare - hard, and not best pay, but rewarding
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 18, 2015
The organization is a great community healthcare organization with a great mission and involvement.
Pay in not-for-profit healthcare is slightly less than found in for-profit healthcare.
Workloads tend to be high.
Managers are not well trained to manage, and there is a lot of inconsistency. Some are great to work for, some are difficult-to-terrible to work for - even at the VP level.
There's a high sense of community in the workplace. Everyone knows everyone and tend to treat each other as people.
Pros
Sense of community, involvement in community
Cons
Management, pay
loved the people I worked with
CMA (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 12, 2015
Loved working with the staff and the patients. The pays is terrible and the benefits could use some help as well. Company does listen to ideas from employees and rewards employees for job well done.
Health Administration Intern
Health Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 22, 2015
Interning for CaroMont Health was a privilege. I learned an unimaginable amount of skills and it was an amazing experience. I started off calling physician referrals for CaroMont's QuitSmart Tobacco Cessation Program. The next thing I knew I was producing a Needs Assessment Report Analysis for the Gaston County Sheriff’s Department, assisting a healthy living class at Bethlehem West Church, producing a Needs Assessment Report Analysis for “Wholy Well” Program at Bethlehem West Church, conducting blood pressure checks at the Gaston County Senior Center Health Fair, producing an employee wellness exercise challenge, producing needs assessment surveys and program spreadsheets, conducting BMI checks for CaroMont employees and Bethlehem West Church members, producing a marketing flyer for upcoming marathon races in Charlotte, ect. My preceptors were very kind and helpful. I couldn't have asked for a better place for my first internship experience.
Pros
great experience, great people
Cons
unpaid
Great team enviroment to work in.
QC Imaging Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 19, 2014
I have now taken on some new rolls in the department which were done by the assistant manager. I feel confident in the fact I was given these task, they can be a challenge but I always have the support of my co workers and managers. I find the day rewarding when I have finished a challenging task successfully.
New management poor
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 12, 2014
Terribly understaffed. unsafe for residents. Management unqualified for job. Residents neglected because care givers have 20-30 patients.
Cons
everything
good place to work
CNA2 (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 9, 2014
it was a fair place to work some times too demanding but fair it goes thru to many changes with the hospital rules and regulations but people get by
Pros
good co workers
Cons
to short of breaks
We took long walks ate lots of ice cream and gained a few extra pounds
Cook /Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas NCSeptember 30, 2014
If I could give back as much as I get working,such joy to help others. Its where I belong with the patient. Just have that one on one back, To reassure them its OK and I'm not going to hurt them but help them to have a healthier life. A prolonged life
Pros
love animals
Cons
seeing the animals that have been abused or neglected
Very busy and fast paced but productive.
Unit Secretary/Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJuly 11, 2014
My typical day at work would be very busy, and fast paced. I have learned to be patient with people.Management was good. My co- workers and I were a team. The hardest part of the job was leaving the patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was returning the next day and giving remarkable service.
Pros
i am always looking for growth.
Cons
the con for me was working 12 - 16 hrs shifts.
Co-Workers are Wonderful
PCA (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJuly 8, 2014
I love my co-workers. I do not think any of us get paid enough for the stress level of our job.
Cashier
CNA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 20, 2014
I was a cashier at Quality Mart and I loved being around the people and getting to know the regulars.
Fun place to learn
Professional Experiences (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 7, 2014
I have all ready wrote a review about this. This was my professional practice site. I learned so much from the employees and the Director ensured that I enjoyed my experience
very productive
Health Information Management, Gastonia (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, North CarolinaOctober 2, 2013
Typical day very fast paced, high demand of daily urgent request with the utmost adherence to proficiency.
A very busy atmosphere.
ACCESS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Gastonia North CarolinaMay 13, 2013
I work in the Emergency Room as a registrar. The department in which I work we have to work in a highly stressful area but manage to do so in a efficient manner that doesn't compromise patient care. I've learned to be patient and accept that the clinical staff are there to treat patients. My job is very important as well. We have to work together as a team.
Pros
concentration on health of employees.
Cons
opportunities for advancement.
A decent job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCFebruary 27, 2013
Its good job security and decent money, but unless you know the right people, you can pretty much forget any opportunity to move up.

Comment – May 17, 2013

Apparently I agree also in order to get hired you need to know the right people. Lord knows I have tried since the mid 80's. And I have a medical office background in many areas. Guess when you are fifty one becomes a liabilty... God has a place for me somewhere ...

Courier
Courier/Supply Distribution Tech (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCDecember 29, 2012
As a courier, I get to see a lot of people that I don't get to see while working in the hospital. I enjoy getting out of the hospital and taking care of our customers by delivering mail, linen, supplies, specimens, and medicines to whomever has ordered them.
Enjoyed working around patients.
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 15, 2012
Enjoyed working with patients. Like to help cheer them up if I could. Like the fact that I took a part in their well being. Took pride in knowing that I was liked by my patients and that I possible made a positive difference in their stay while in the hospital.
Pros
insurance
Cons
not paid for sick time off
Fun place
Patient Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 20, 2012
Great hours!!!
Nice people....
Community care for all people!!!
Great customer service
Hard to get on initially
LPN (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 28, 2012
Caromont Health only hires children of their employees for clerical/administrative tasks and for other jobs menial jobs such as laundry, nutrition, etc . I tried to get on with them in a clerical position while completing school but after 400+ applications (from 2006-2011) and 0 responses I was getting fed up. Once I graduated as an LPN it was easy for me to get on with the company through my colleges work placement program. I find it really annoying that children of current employees are treated so differently from others. Because of this I am seeking employment with another employer in the area, possibly Carolinas Medical Center or Novant Health. It is hard enough to find a job in the area in these tough times and I find their bias to be appalling.

Comment – December 25, 2012

Have interviewed twice in the last eighteen months, though seemingly after what seems like hundreds of online applicatiins, no luck. And I know several friends that work there. Oh well, will keep trying. I have twenty five plus years of clerical experience. Some of which includes medical insurance processing amd certification in medical terminology. Think at this point age is a factor. Won't give up as I will be an asset to their team.. if only they will give me a chance.

Comment – March 18, 2013

Getting even an interview seems impossible. Lots of applications but after several weeks you get a we did not choose you e mail. I think it is wrong to have to do applications on line and not have a chance to present yourself to a company