Carriage Services, Incorporated

Carriage Services, Incorporated Employee Reviews in United States

Great
Senior Treasury Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Wonderful staff I worked with. Work/life balance was great. Management was supportive. Hours were flexible. Only downfall for me was the drive.
Great place to work. I have wonderful co-workers.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 25, 2015
My typical day at work includes helping families, receiving payments, paying bills. I also make memorial packages for the families in need along with tribute videos. I have wonderful co-workers and manager. The hardest part of my job here is dealing with the families who are having a hard time with grieving, espically the children.
Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CaMarch 3, 2015
They only good thing about this company this that I learned the importance of being prepared. Not a good place to work. Staff members favorite theme is: "that's not my job" or "get it together "
Horrible Company and Manager. Place is Unethical.
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Panhandle FloridaOctober 25, 2014
Horrible company and corporation. I DO NOT recommend working for Carriage Services!!
My location has an awful manager with no people skills and only worries about making money for the location. No raises or help to employees ever and no appreciation of the work done. Cut the X-mas parties and other functions that only lowers morale of staff. Staff hates each other and always finds ways to put each other down showing no camaraderie.
Manager is unethical and is always looking for ways to make more money even if it isn't fair to the families we serve or to our staff. Numerous staff has complained to HR but never gets any results or changes. Its all about making money and not quality of staff or the work place. Whole company is unstable with our location constantly having turnover of employees due to poor management. The pay is low and raises never happen EVER! Its a low end company and they look to cheat you at every turn. Only a matter of time before I leave as I am looking to escape this awful place!!
Cons
poor insurance, unethical management, no raises or appreciation of staff
Essential business, productive and core valued
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2014
Different challenges every day, learned the importance of customer services. Unity is very important with management and a sense of understanding your employees/team. Co-workers interact as a team and collaborate well with projects. There's no leverage for excelling. The most enjoyable is the flexible schedule
The Carriage Services experience
Assistant to the Office Manager/ Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2014
Working for Carriage Services was a wonderful opportunity that I would love to experience all over again. The people are friendly and I was able to do my job with ease. My duties shifted from Assistant under the Office Manager to the mail clerk throughout the day. Both jobs gave me quite joy.
Pros
positive, intelligent people; $.25 soda machine; nice breakroom; fun work environment
Good company despite poor management
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 16, 2013
The used to have a location based management structure but that is being replaced with a top down structure that doesn't work. They also keep bringing in old SCI guys and the company is quickly becoming SCI jr.
Place to gain experience
Senior Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2013
Place to gain experience. Great Work/Life Balance. Typical 8-5 except during month end close which requires a few extra hours
I cannot give a positive recommendation for Carriage Services
Office (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 14, 2013
My first advice if your looking for this type of work is to KEEP LOOKING! I worked for one of their locations at one of the funeral homes Carriage owned. I was pulled from the position I was hired for and held for 6 years, no discussing it, no heads up, nothing. The corp office had the Manager move me to a new position because they needed to cut staff. I was just thrown into the new position and given mounds more work. No training, no raise, no support whatsoever. Our staff was cut so much there were barely enough directors to handle funerals. Employees were not happy and overworked with very low pay. Very high turnover in employees and Managers. Unless it's a legal matter, the corporate office staff and CEO could care less about the employees, especially at locations.
Pros
insurance
Cons
low pay, raises are rare, no appreciation whatsoever
Unorganized
Pre-Need Contract Processor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2012
I had to post payments to various accounts. There was no organization within the payments or the information in the system. I had to do alot of research in order to get the customer payments accurate.
Pros
christmas parties
Cons
unorganized
Very Good entry level job
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2012
Great place to start your career. Very by the book. and ridged hours.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
very strict
Great location, no job security
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2012
Some nice people in the corporate office, but jobs are being outsourced. No room for advancement. Repetitive, monotonous tasks month after month.
Pros
free lunches, weekends off
Cons
no room for advancement, high turnover
Beware!
gravedigger (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 28, 2012
The benefits are great with this company and all of the people at Corporate are wonderful (my experience, anyway), HOWEVER, management has become animals that eat their young! I worked at one of the locations for over 10 years and was fired on grounds that were certainly questionable. If management wants you gone for any reason, you are gone even though you have had a long, dedicated, proven career with no reprimands in your personel file. If you don't mind getting chewed up and spit out, go ahead...work for them!
Carriage Services, Inc NOT a good Company to Work For
Director (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 31, 2012
I did not work in the Corporate Office in Houston. I worked for one of their locations for over a decade. I'm sorry to say this but I was shocked by the unethical treatment of employees. No respect, no praise, no raises no matter what you do. Job promotion is slim to none. No concern whatsoever for staff, you're here today, gone tomorrow. Most distressing is this company is in the death care industry. Yet, there is not one ounce of care or compassion shown to employees.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
lack of ethics
Nice place to work
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2012
A very high paced and demanding career, the company handels it well.
I give a ZERO Star Rating
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 7, 2012
I worked for Carriage for 9 years. Gave my heart, soul and gave up time with my family to "Be the Best". However, I or no staff ever received acknowledgement of this praise or recognition. Had one very small raises in nine years, the last one seven years ago. There was always excuses for why staff never received raises. Staff has been cut to a bare minimum meaning those left were overworked . and had a lot of extra responsibilities shoved on them. All staff feared being the next to be cut in order to cut costs. Morale was very low and most employees spoke very poorly of Carriage. All the employees feel that Carriage could care less about them and sadly, they are right. Managers are made to turn against their own employees to please Carriages requests. It seems they lead by fear and not positive motivation. Nothing is ever consistent.
Pros
helping the families we served, through a difficult time
Cons
poor employee treatment, no appreciation, no raises, constant fear

Comment – February 9, 2013

Being the Best - a wonderful premise - words to live by - and yet when a person tries to be the best and expect the best - but substandard is accepted by others....sorry state of affairs in the Highlands location. The company is much like others, good benefits decent corporate ideals but location managers should not get the idea they are "Gods"

Good company to work for with good co-workers
Sales & Use Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 23, 2011
The company is vastly growing in size and is a public company with a great group of employees.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
location, advancement not aligned with my 5 year plan