Carriage Services, Incorporated Employee Reviews

horrible
Pre-Need Counselor (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 27, 2017
this job was so not worth taking. we as a group were mislead as to what the job would be. we were told it would be a sales position but all it was ,was cold calling to make appointments. we had leads to go to the appointments and if they did not make a sale we were the ones who were reprimanded for no sales. i would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great company, great balance of corporate and family owned
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 5, 2017
I enjoy working for Carriage Services. They have a great decentralized model of managing partners running their respective locations. There isn't a corporate feel to the company and they treat you very well. I really enjoy what I do.
Starting Point
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 13, 2017
Good for anyone looking to learn the ropes then move on. Was promised days off and would consistently work 12 days straight. The families were great to work with. Management started great and but faltered soon after.
Cons
Minimal time off
Funeral Home business for a special person
Lakeland Memorial Gardens (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Not a good place for an upbeat person like me. Dealing with death everyday takes a certain personality. Bad business to sell to vulnerable people. Was lied to about sales commission and how much money I could make. I am not a pushy sales person especially to those in a fragile state of mind,
Pros
It was located in Florida
Cons
Bad business to be in.
Full day to day operations of 3 funeral homes and 1 cemetery
Managing Partner (Current Employee) –  MontanaDecember 1, 2016
I'm responsible for all operations from removal to cemetery. As well as all management duties, training and all employees. I'm also in charge of all advertising and scheduling.
Great
Senior Treasury Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Wonderful staff I worked with. Work/life balance was great. Management was supportive. Hours were flexible. Only downfall for me was the drive.
Great place to work. I have wonderful co-workers.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 25, 2015
My typical day at work includes helping families, receiving payments, paying bills. I also make memorial packages for the families in need along with tribute videos. I have wonderful co-workers and manager. The hardest part of my job here is dealing with the families who are having a hard time with grieving, espically the children.
Was a very positive experience working and assisting clients.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTJune 22, 2015
At the funeral home level, I looked forward to working every day. My direct boss and I worked well together as a team. I was responsible for the day to day operations of the office, with a considerable amount of multitasking involved. The environment in working with my boss was ripe with expanding my knowledge of the funeral business. Unfortunately, a funeral director was hired that was the son of our regional manager who had their own agenda which made the work environment become cautious and untrusting. There was really no difficulty in my job. In the five years as office manager, I was allowed the freedom to make it my own and subsequently made the operations more efficient and seamless.
Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CaMarch 3, 2015
They only good thing about this company this that I learned the importance of being prepared. Not a good place to work. Staff members favorite theme is: "that's not my job" or "get it together "
Cons
Horrible Company and Manager. Place is Unethical.
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Panhandle FloridaOctober 25, 2014
Horrible company and corporation. I DO NOT recommend working for Carriage Services!!
My location has an awful manager with no people skills and only worries about making money for the location. No raises or help to employees ever and no appreciation of the work done. Cut the X-mas parties and other functions that only lowers morale of staff. Staff hates each other and always finds ways to put each other down showing no camaraderie.
Manager is unethical and is always looking for ways to make more money even if it isn't fair to the families we serve or to our staff. Numerous staff has complained to HR but never gets any results or changes. Its all about making money and not quality of staff or the work place. Whole company is unstable with our location constantly having turnover of employees due to poor management. The pay is low and raises never happen EVER! Its a low end company and they look to cheat you at every turn. Only a matter of time before I leave as I am looking to escape this awful place!!
Pros
Cons
Poor Insurance, Unethical Management, No raises or appreciation of staff

Want to know more about Carriage Services, Incorporated?

Ask a question
Essential business, productive and core valued
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2014
Different challenges every day, learned the importance of customer services. Unity is very important with management and a sense of understanding your employees/team. Co-workers interact as a team and collaborate well with projects. There's no leverage for excelling. The most enjoyable is the flexible schedule
The Carriage Services experience
Assistant to the Office Manager/ Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2014
Working for Carriage Services was a wonderful opportunity that I would love to experience all over again. The people are friendly and I was able to do my job with ease. My duties shifted from Assistant under the Office Manager to the mail clerk throughout the day. Both jobs gave me quite joy.
Pros
Positive, intelligent people; $.25 soda machine; nice breakroom; fun work environment
Good company despite poor management
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 16, 2013
The used to have a location based management structure but that is being replaced with a top down structure that doesn't work. They also keep bringing in old SCI guys and the company is quickly becoming SCI jr.
Place to gain experience
Senior Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2013
Place to gain experience. Great Work/Life Balance. Typical 8-5 except during month end close which requires a few extra hours
I cannot give a positive recommendation for Carriage Services
Office (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 14, 2013
My first advice if your looking for this type of work is to KEEP LOOKING! I worked for one of their locations at one of the funeral homes Carriage owned. I was pulled from the position I was hired for and held for 6 years, no discussing it, no heads up, nothing. The corp office had the Manager move me to a new position because they needed to cut staff. I was just thrown into the new position and given mounds more work. No training, no raise, no support whatsoever. Our staff was cut so much there were barely enough directors to handle funerals. Employees were not happy and overworked with very low pay. Very high turnover in employees and Managers. Unless it's a legal matter, the corporate office staff and CEO could care less about the employees, especially at locations.
Pros
insurance
Cons
low pay, raises are rare, no appreciation whatsoever
Unorganized
Pre-Need Contract Processor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2012
I had to post payments to various accounts. There was no organization within the payments or the information in the system. I had to do alot of research in order to get the customer payments accurate.
Pros
christmas parties
Cons
unorganized
Very Good entry level job
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2012
Great place to start your career. Very by the book. and ridged hours.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
very strict
Great location, no job security
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2012
Some nice people in the corporate office, but jobs are being outsourced. No room for advancement. Repetitive, monotonous tasks month after month.
Pros
free lunches, weekends off
Cons
no room for advancement, high turnover
Beware!
gravedigger (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 28, 2012
The benefits are great with this company and all of the people at Corporate are wonderful (my experience, anyway), HOWEVER, management has become animals that eat their young! I worked at one of the locations for over 10 years and was fired on grounds that were certainly questionable. If management wants you gone for any reason, you are gone even though you have had a long, dedicated, proven career with no reprimands in your personel file. If you don't mind getting chewed up and spit out, go ahead...work for them!
Carriage Services, Inc NOT a good Company to Work For
Director (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 31, 2012
I did not work in the Corporate Office in Houston. I worked for one of their locations for over a decade. I'm sorry to say this but I was shocked by the unethical treatment of employees. No respect, no praise, no raises no matter what you do. Job promotion is slim to none. No concern whatsoever for staff, you're here today, gone tomorrow. Most distressing is this company is in the death care industry. Yet, there is not one ounce of care or compassion shown to employees.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
lack of ethics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carriage Services, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9