Carrington College Employee Reviews in United States

laid back work enviornment
Enrollment Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 21, 2016
A typical work day includes current student follow up, working new student inquiries by phone and interviewing new students.

I learned how to balance multiple needs, program background information, and basics of other departments to better assist students.
Co workers are very friendly and work cohesively.
The hardest part of the job was the constant change in management from executive director on down. No room to advance without relocation.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with students and watching them graduate!
Pros
changing students lives
Cons
unsteady and unproductive management
Energetic working environment, excellent support system
Federal Work Study Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 28, 2015
During my time of employment at Carrington College, I strived daily to meet the expectations set, which were always achievable. I really enjoyed my time tutoring students and assisting the faculty members with larger projects. Everyone worked so well together and always praised each other for a job well done. I really appreciated the flexibility they offered me as a full time student working with my class schedule!
Poorly Managed
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 22, 2015
I agreed to teach a night class for them a few times a week. I have taught at a few other colleges and universities and Carrington takes the cake for excessive red-tape and poor management.

This University is really only in for making money and they do this by strongly encouraging us to pass poorly performing students and paying very little. The computer labs are out-of-date, the class room equipment is out of date and they are very very strict with the teaching agenda. I think they really just need warm bodies to stand in front and recite bullet points. I tried my hardest to make the class topics interesting, and they really resisted me. They cancelled my requests for computer labs, and flat out denied my requests for a grader to help. Most colleges and universities cater to the teacher, but not this place. It feels like the faculty have to bend over backwards for the management. This needs to change.
Pros
Students are wonderful and try really hard.
Cons
Management.
Frustrated
Pharmacy Technology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2016
I have been away from Carrington College now for 9 months. I wanted to give myself time to cool off and make sure that I made the right decision to leave. Since I have left the school, my department has changed twice over. That is not good for students' morale. After my department chair gleefully left, due to upper management, we were left with no direction, but plenty of burden.

As I had come to find out, the Dean in charge of the pharmacy department was a hot head who did not have any interest in listening. I was blamed for something that was not true by a student (not teaching). Instead of listening to me and letting me tell my side of what was going on, I was berated and yelled at and essentially told that the student was right and I was wrong.

There was a lot going at this point, such as, new books, introduction of iPads to new students and not old students (old students had a different set of books) and evening students were going to have to be taught from two different sets of books, in addition to no department chair.

I have kept in touch with my colleagues I worked with and not much has changed with this Dean. I recommend steering clear of employment here for this reason alone.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Dean
Productive and thriving environment
Pharmacy Technician Program Director (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 22, 2015
Very demanding position teaching and managing a program alone. The most challening part of theis poisition is not having a team to work with but still having to develop a new program and juggle administrative responsibilities.
Pros
autonomy, gworh and development in leadership, chaging lives of students
Cons
long hours, no team to work with
Carrington does not care
Instructor (Former Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 13, 2016
Carrington College cares only about the bottom line-not the students or the employees. Stay away from this place if you value your sanity.
The environment is toxic, trust nobody.
Pros
Absolutely None
Educational Place to Work
Team Lead for Medical Assisting Program (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 29, 2015
On a typical day at work I:

Managed Medical Assisting student body on externship
Coordinated Job sites for externship students
Created flyers, invitations, brochures, information booklets, etc. with graphic design software
Created various documents for tracking students
Instructed students on how to perform Medical Assisting duties within various Medical Departments
Coordinated and Proctored the National Testing for Medical Assistant Students
Assisted Director of Education and Program Director in various Administrative Duties
Helped Productivity in obtaining goals
Created a positive, productive learning environment for students
Implemented ethical and legal responsibilities for students
Pros
Great Staff to work with
Cons
More Training Needed for Faculty and Staff
Excellent company to work for. Good benefits and wages.
Nursing faculty and clinical placement coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2014
Carrington is under the DeVry University umbrella. Was very sorry to see them close their Portland, Oregon nursing program. Would of still been working there had then hadn't closed. Great team to work with. Felt very supported by the company.
Pros
good compensation and benefits
Cons
nursing program was closed by the corporation.
Good
enrollment (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 23, 2015
Good, always something new and someone new. Great students, wonderful instructors.

Lack of leadership, but improvement is to come.

Support when needed if allowed.

Minimal incentive's, lousy pay grade
Dedicated to provide students a worthy education!
Instructor, then registrar (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 12, 2013
Each day provided challenges; initially, to research the day's subject so I was able to stand in front of adult students and confidently share with them the knowledge factors and background information stipulated in subject knowledge and performance objectives. Successfully managing classes of young adults attending school by choice presents leadership challenges that yield gratifying results at graduation and students' follow-on employment. My co-workers were professionals who were dedicated to their students. These attributes were fostered by the campus leadership who recognized individual and group efforts with praise. Pharmacy mathematics was easily the most difficult of subjects and easily the most gratifying. To be trite: seeing the-lights-come-on in students eyes and attitudes was nothing less than wonderful!
Pros
daily interface with students; the easy ones and the difficult ones.
Cons
unpaid hours grading homework. extra hours away from home as registrar.
A Day in the Life of a Senior Enrollment Representative
Senior Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 2, 2015
I manage a to-do list daily that entails target dates for everything. Mapping out a prioritized list helps to accomplish sequential tasks. For example, calls, meeting, follow up, and paperwork. I have learned the admissions process from interviews, applications and working closely with my colleagues to achieve team goals. I truly enjoy learning new processes and being positively challenged every day. The most satisfaction of my job comes from having the ability to help others in their decision to return to school. The hardest part of my job is when all avenues have been exhausted which prevents a person from furthering his/her education. However, the true accomplishment and joy of my job comes from congratulating a future student, and seeing this connection makes the good with the bad all worth it!
Pros
Connection with people
Cons
Individual is unable to commit to his/her education
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2015
going to this school as taught me how to manage my time and how to become more of a people person, I feel like taking the step to enroll into this college really helped better my life and my family's life
Family Oriented
STUDENT FINANCE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 5, 2015
I loved working at the Art Institute as I met some great people and working with students was one of the things I enjoyed the most because I was making a change in their lives.
Externship Program (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 13, 2015
Be ready to work hard. The homework is an overkill. You are going to complete at least 60 hours of homework a week. Billing and Coding training for Error Resolution/basic office duties and customer contact for billing enquiries.
Pros
Free Popcorn
Cons
Job Site for Externships
Productive work environment find joy in helping others
Team Lead for Medical Assisting Program (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 21, 2015
A typical work day at Carrington College promotes great productivity. If I am not teaching then I am assisting with the Externship placements to counseling with a student. My day is always filled with many duties.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Numbers driven
Productive workplace with great benefits
Administration (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2013
Heavy work load with a minimum of 8 hours a day making it hard to have a work/life balance. Little job security but great benefits.
Great Company with good benefits.
Nursing Faculty/Site Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2013
Great company that truly values their employees as well as those to whom we have graduated from our Practical Nursing Program.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
being very large in that it is sometimes hard to find the right person to ask questions of.
Hostile environment
Clinical instructor OB & 1122 N Liberty St. (Former Employee) –  BoiseJune 10, 2015
Most enjoyable students, great co-workers, extremely poor director of nursing, hardest part of job, trying to please my director.
Pros
Gresat co-workers
Cons
Poor management
School for my RN Degree
Student (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 12, 2015
Challenging in all aspects but I made it through. Learned a lot about other people and how to deal with those who didn't have the ethics that I have. I always strived to do my very best and learn every thing that is essential to make a great RN.
combat medic
Instructor of Physical Therapy Technician Program (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 7, 2015
I treated battle field injuries. Helped soldiers heal. taught soldiers how to care for others and treat minor wounds. really enjoyed working in the Army however their was really no time for family.
Pros
helping people
Cons
no family