Carroll County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Low Salaries, Little Opportunity for Advancement
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 18, 2016
The salaries have been frozen for years. Carroll County does not value education enough. It's impossible to get ahead unless you are part of the "Good Old Boys" network.
Pros
Nice students
Cons
Low salaries, no advancement opportunities
Going through a tough time because of years of county neglect and acrimony
Principal Alternative Programs (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDDecember 14, 2015
The staff couldn't be better to work with. The stress level is high because of not enough resources to do what needs to be done.
great place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDNovember 26, 2015
was a great place to work while raising children, the schedule was flexable enough to where if my children needed me at home i could be with them
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
hard to get work daily
It was a good position, had alot of autonomy to work with students and their family
Crisis Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDOctober 6, 2015
It was at times very stressful, given the numbers of students requiring mental health services while balancing academic requirements. Staff was very student centered.
Great kids at all ages; rewarding to teach
Carroll County Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Carroll County, MarylandJuly 8, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the kids learn something new! I taught all ages from Kindergarten to 12th grade and loved it.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDApril 19, 2015
Taught all grades from pre-K to Alternative High School. Different task each day kept me fresh and alert to all the tasks required. Enjoyed working with school students at all levels.
Supportive Work Environment
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MDApril 8, 2015
Carroll County Public Schools was a very rewarding place to work. I was provided support and professional development. A typical day started a half an hour before the students arrived. I worked with several grade levels including pre- school to 12th grade students with special needs. The most difficult part of my job was to balance working with the students and the demands of the legal paperwork. I enjoyed working with the students, parents and other teachers to educate the students and to see their progress.
Pros
Supported environment
Cons
demands of paperwork
Special Education
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDDecember 30, 2014
I work in Special Education . I have a contractual position with benefits. My position is 4.2 hour day plus I sub in teachers classrooms for another 3.5 hour day.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDNovember 9, 2014
Substitute Teacher
Worked with elementary school aged children with special needs
Friendly work environment
School Nurse-Ebb Valley Elementary (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 14, 2014
This school system offers a cooperative working environment and structure.
Pros
summers off, no weekends or holidays
Cons
the salary is much lower than a typical nursing job
Teaching - the good and the bad
Department Chair (Current Employee) –  South Carroll High SchoolMarch 24, 2014
I love what I do, teaching is in my blood and I enjoy working with students to open their minds. Teaching is hard though and in an economy where money is tight, the budgets for education are getting thinner by the day. We are told daily to do more with less. A typical day for me as the department chair has me dealing with all sorts of administrative type duties that go along with managing a department of 10 people and resources that effect an entire school building. I am responsible for handling issues that are big, like a teacher missing with no substitute and ordering thousands of dollars worth of supplies as well as small issues such as fixing a broken printer. I create instruction daily based on the needs of my students and am constantly looking at data and weaknesses to create solutions for better teacher training and student education.
Pros
intrinsically rewarding work
Cons
no payraise in 5 years, dramatically increased work load
Clerical
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Union Bridge, MDDecember 4, 2013
Office position that you are able to leave at the end of the day with no work stress or overtime. Good company to work for with wonderful people.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDNovember 12, 2013
Night work great benifits but not worth all the drama, if you like to work for incompitant people this is the place for you.
Great Job
Substitute Teacher/Cafeteria employee (Current Employee) –  Carroll CountyJuly 24, 2013
I enjoy the flexibility of being a substitute teacher. I am able to schedule my availability on line and can accept or decline jobs right from my laptop.
Pros
flexibility
great place to work
Teaching Assistant, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDFebruary 4, 2013
a typical day at work, when working in a school. I loved working here, it was just time to move on with my career.
Pros
working with children
Cons
enjoyed work there and fun
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Westminister MarylandAugust 2, 2012
I was work there and typical after at work when I was learned work there lot and culture with the hearing people in high school
I was enjoyed with the management and follow the duties
my co workers always communication and do something work there in area
yes I was do something to the hardest part of the job
yes, I was most enjoyable part of the job and fun there