cars.com Employee Reviews

good work life balance but limited career pathing
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2017
Lack of ability to innovate and change in a fast moving digital industry - the company was initially established by a newspaper and still seems to function that way.
Great
Digital Media Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 29, 2017
Great Place to work and learn. Love meeting customers and co-workers in friendly environment. I recommend Cars.com to anyone. Cares about their employees and open to talk about any problems you might have. Learned a lot about corp structures and ways to sell.
Pros
flexible schedule
Neutral
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2017
Cars.com is an ok company. The pay is lower than average and there is a lot of internal movement happening. The company needs to work on supporting their internal teams with the correct technology to get their jobs done.
Recruiting Coordinator (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2017
Milwaukee Tool is a great place to work and learn! They have a fast pace environment that allows you to grow your learning and career.
Cars.com is an awesome and innovative company.
Digital Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2017
I've been with the organization since 2009, and the company has always been a great place to work. Management always encouraged feedback from its employees to understand our needs and wants to successful results.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Decent job
Digital Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 13, 2016
Decent job. Awful work life balance, no room for advancement, management is not always qualified for their job. Long hours, not great benefits at all.
Productive work environment. Small group of resources
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 30, 2016
Typical day starts with scrum, meetings, regression and testing the product.
Learned a lot of new features.
Co-workers are ok.
management: fair
Hardest part of the job: Manager was outsourced in Delaware/New Jersey area. Not very accommodating. Never there to help the team.
Enjoyable part of the job: Happy to be part of Cars.com Company.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions. Games and fun times
Cons
Not that many
Work Environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2016
Challenging work environment, great team, excellent opportunity to learn new technologies and advancement. Fun place to work
Nice Company
Admin II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2016
Cars.com is a very nice company located in the downtown Chicago area. As with all jobs there are good times and there are bad times.
As long as the job get done.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Place to work
ASM (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 3, 2015
I best thing about Cars.com is they leave you alone to manage your own territory. Yet, they select the wrong people for the most part to manager you. This leads to failure.
Pros
Self management
Cons
Unrealistic Goals for territory

Want to know more about cars.com?

Ask a question
Not the best experience
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2015
There's the saying- the people make the company and I think that is true. I was surrounded by amazing coworkers when I started working for the company, but as I was promoted and the culture shifted following the purchase and some key leaders leaving, I was surrounded by arrogant closed minded alcoholics, who were more concerned with going to happy hour than doing their work. If you are looking for a company to start with, this is great- but for any professionals farther into their career, I advise to keep looking. Unless you are in sales- then this is a great place for you- the sales team is amazing and treated they should be, as that department is ran by some of the best managers I've ever seen. Anything outside of sales and operations- such as marketing, do yourself a favor and keep looking.
Pros
Open office, casual dress, convenient downtown location
Cons
Poor upper management- as all of the good ones left, lack of core values, and the office has bugs
Was once a fun environment to work at now just a shell company that doesn't care about it's employees morale
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
The company was at one point in time a fun easy going company, it made me proud to say I worked for this company and was happy to promote the business even considering the low starting salary. However after the company was bought out and then it's parent company was restructured the company's culture has changed from a work hard play hard company to work hard and work harder, and get less benefits and incentives to work. There use to be a lot of office parties, game nights, cereal and cartoon days, etc. now there barely is birthday celebrations for the team I worked for. The company cater more to the sales teams and not as much to other departments. Sure they try to promote that they are a company that values their employees and want to help them with career paths by allowing them to transition to other departments, however there is a lot of office politics that are in place that would keep you from getting the position you want because someone else has the ear of the hiring manager and want someone else in that position.
Pros
was a good starting company to get into a corporate working environment
Cons
Low salary, Low incentives, Low Morale
na
Co-op Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
good company to work for, for entry level. work life balance is great management is good with coaching new hires. cars.com is the leading third party provider for cars sales
Good Place to start of a career
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
It is a good company to start your working career. Good experience and good people around you to help you grow. Pay is low however but that is in part due to the work life balance. The benefits are great also.
Great Company / Leadership and Culture are strong
Account Manager, National Ad Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2015
Great place to work. Industry is very crowded, but leadership keeps us ahead of the curve. Would recommend for prospective employers.
Great place to start
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Cars.com is a great company for young people to begin their careers. There is a lot of growth opportunities for data or product driven people. There is also a lot of career development options for those that want to do be propelled to leadership or management.

There is a lot of micro-management at times to drive big business practices and low communication between departments. There is also a lot of reliance on individual contributors, which is a great opportunity for people to learn. The culture is also very young and fun. People make life long friends here, and you have the ability to interact with senior leadership openly and your opinions are valued. Overall, I recommend starting your career here.
Pros
Outings, rewards and recognition, fun environment, open door policy
Cons
Compensation low, micro-management
Great people, and a good place to start out
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Cars.com has changed a lot since being bought by Gannett. The culture and people are great, and they provide a decent work-life balance. The people are the only reason I lasted as long as I did there. However, there is not much opportunity for promotions, and a lot of talent and top management has recently left the company. Pay is definitely under market, but it is a good place to start out to get your foot in the door.
Ongoing consulting job
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
I am currently working with the Integrated Marketing Education (Honors Marketing) program at DePaul University to conduct various marketing tests for Cars.com
Great place to start but don't stay long
Marketing and Strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
The people here are great. I've met many, if not most, of my friends here and have had some great experiences. However, in the last 18 months the culture has changed so dramatically it was not a fun or positive place anymore. Now that Gannett has bought them out and they've moved their management and work style into the culture it's even worse than ever before. I'd suggest only recent college graduates to come here and gain some experience but if you are looking to advance your career I would highly suggest looking elsewhere. Also keep in mind that the compensation is WAY BELOW every other digital or even start-ups in Chicago. I was speaking with recruiters who were offering me ranges $10K more than what Cars was giving me. I spent 4 years here and it was 2 years too long.

Pros: People and Work/Life balance

Cons: Poor compensation, shift of company culture, power-hungry upper management, close-minded management to any idea not their own, no room for growth and advancement, and poor department alignment and communication of responsibilities.
Great Culture
Ad Trafficker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2014
I have learned a lot a Cars.com. It is a great culture with wonderful people. The people make the job wonderful and a joy to come to work everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at cars.com. Our community is ready to answer.