cars.com Employee Reviews in United States

Work Environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2016
Challenging work environment, great team, excellent opportunity to learn new technologies and advancement. Fun place to work
Great Place to work
ASM (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 3, 2015
I best thing about Cars.com is they leave you alone to manage your own territory. Yet, they select the wrong people for the most part to manager you. This leads to failure.
Pros
Self management
Cons
Unrealistic Goals for territory
Not the best experience
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2015
There's the saying- the people make the company and I think that is true. I was surrounded by amazing coworkers when I started working for the company, but as I was promoted and the culture shifted following the purchase and some key leaders leaving, I was surrounded by arrogant closed minded alcoholics, who were more concerned with going to happy hour than doing their work. If you are looking for a company to start with, this is great- but for any professionals farther into their career, I advise to keep looking. Unless you are in sales- then this is a great place for you- the sales team is amazing and treated they should be, as that department is ran by some of the best managers I've ever seen. Anything outside of sales and operations- such as marketing, do yourself a favor and keep looking.
Pros
Open office, casual dress, convenient downtown location
Cons
Poor upper management- as all of the good ones left, lack of core values, and the office has bugs
Was once a fun environment to work at now just a shell company that doesn't care about it's employees morale
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
The company was at one point in time a fun easy going company, it made me proud to say I worked for this company and was happy to promote the business even considering the low starting salary. However after the company was bought out and then it's parent company was restructured the company's culture has changed from a work hard play hard company to work hard and work harder, and get less benefits and incentives to work. There use to be a lot of office parties, game nights, cereal and cartoon days, etc. now there barely is birthday celebrations for the team I worked for. The company cater more to the sales teams and not as much to other departments. Sure they try to promote that they are a company that values their employees and want to help them with career paths by allowing them to transition to other departments, however there is a lot of office politics that are in place that would keep you from getting the position you want because someone else has the ear of the hiring manager and want someone else in that position.
Pros
was a good starting company to get into a corporate working environment
Cons
Low salary, Low incentives, Low Morale
na
Co-op Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
good company to work for, for entry level. work life balance is great management is good with coaching new hires. cars.com is the leading third party provider for cars sales
Good Place to start of a career
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
It is a good company to start your working career. Good experience and good people around you to help you grow. Pay is low however but that is in part due to the work life balance. The benefits are great also.
Great Company / Leadership and Culture are strong
Account Manager, National Ad Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2015
Great place to work. Industry is very crowded, but leadership keeps us ahead of the curve. Would recommend for prospective employers.
Great place to start
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Cars.com is a great company for young people to begin their careers. There is a lot of growth opportunities for data or product driven people. There is also a lot of career development options for those that want to do be propelled to leadership or management.

There is a lot of micro-management at times to drive big business practices and low communication between departments. There is also a lot of reliance on individual contributors, which is a great opportunity for people to learn. The culture is also very young and fun. People make life long friends here, and you have the ability to interact with senior leadership openly and your opinions are valued. Overall, I recommend starting your career here.
Pros
outings, rewards and recognition, fun environment, open door policy
Cons
compensation low, micro-management
Great people, and a good place to start out
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Cars.com has changed a lot since being bought by Gannett. The culture and people are great, and they provide a decent work-life balance. The people are the only reason I lasted as long as I did there. However, there is not much opportunity for promotions, and a lot of talent and top management has recently left the company. Pay is definitely under market, but it is a good place to start out to get your foot in the door.
Ongoing consulting job
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
I am currently working with the Integrated Marketing Education (Honors Marketing) program at DePaul University to conduct various marketing tests for Cars.com
Great place to start but don't stay long
Marketing and Strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
The people here are great. I've met many, if not most, of my friends here and have had some great experiences. However, in the last 18 months the culture has changed so dramatically it was not a fun or positive place anymore. Now that Gannett has bought them out and they've moved their management and work style into the culture it's even worse than ever before. I'd suggest only recent college graduates to come here and gain some experience but if you are looking to advance your career I would highly suggest looking elsewhere. Also keep in mind that the compensation is WAY BELOW every other digital or even start-ups in Chicago. I was speaking with recruiters who were offering me ranges $10K more than what Cars was giving me. I spent 4 years here and it was 2 years too long.

Pros: People and Work/Life balance

Cons: Poor compensation, shift of company culture, power-hungry upper management, close-minded management to any idea not their own, no room for growth and advancement, and poor department alignment and communication of responsibilities.
Great Culture
Ad Trafficker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2014
I have learned a lot a Cars.com. It is a great culture with wonderful people. The people make the job wonderful and a joy to come to work everyday.
An amazing work place with great work life balance
Manager - UX research and strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
Cars.com believes in empowering its employees but giving them the right tools and directions to take charge and make any project successful.
Pros
amazing people to work with - very talented hard working and understanding
Cons
senior management still needs to embrace the user-centered research and design approach
My particular role in IT Vendor Management taught me a lot about enterprise level organizations.
IT Vendor Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2014
As an IT Vendor Analyst, I was responsible for managing the relationships between our internal business owners and our IT vendors, ranging from staffing, hardware, software, etc.

Each day was different, which was challenging and exciting, yet I chose to leave because eventually I wasn't learning anything new.
The company runs on fairly old technologies and I wanted to keep my skills sharp.
A young, innovative and fun company to work for!
Digital Advertising/ Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2014
While a great organization to work for, with great people, products and innovative/learning environment, the compensation levels were on the lower end relative to similar companies.
Experienced leadership running the best sales organization in the digital space
National Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2014
A great comany to work for! Each day I was surrounded by the brightest and kindest people in the digital world. Everyone on the National Sales Team has a true passion for being an industry expert and delivering top-notch results. Our clients appreciated the value that was delivered from the website to the showroom.
Pros
leadership, training, advancement opportunities and wonderful clients.
Cons
cubicles and limited number of meeting rooms.
Great place to learn
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2014
Managed a self-employed business, great while it lasted. Fast paced and learn on the job.
They LOVE Their People!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2013
This is absolutely an incredible company to work with. It's a place where you can just walk up to the CFO or CEO's cube and chat with them. Relaxed environment. Always looking for feedback. The company as a whole, really thrives to give back. The major opportunity here is in their Operations department. You feel stifled if your networking does not outweigh your talent. It's difficult to be focused on advancement throughout the company when you are not encouraged by management.
Pros
job culture
Cons
management
Awesome work environment but be careful!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2012
Cars was an awesome place to work. There were a lot of events and the coworkers are amazing. The environment is laid back but you have to be careful. Most of the potential position even though listed are filled before they are even listed. I found this to be very frustrating.
Pros
many parties and events, awesome coworkers
Cons
low pay, can be hard to move around, frat/sorority like at times
This is an excellent, forward thinking company with great attitutude and benefits. It is just not a place where I can grow much any more.
Field Sales Manager for NYC/CT team (Current Employee) –  New York CityMay 23, 2012
I really like this company. It has a great product and place in its industry, a great spirit and corporate culture, excellent benefits, and they really work to care about their employees. Since I am not based in their main office, I unfortunately do not get to benefit from a lot of what they offer their employees, but they try to keep us involved. Originally coming from the publishing world, I have learned a lot about selling advertising and marketing services in the digital space. I am much more adept at technology-related tasks and appreciate much more what exposure on the internet can do for a business and my role in all that. I have also learned a ton about the industry they serve, which is much different from my past experiences and quite fascinating.

The problem is that they are growing fast, so they are making changes to what they expect us to do besides sell their products effectively. Some are just a nuisance and some have been very disruptive. Often I have to spend an additional 3 or more hours a night after dinner, just to try to keep up with all the required training, research, record keeping, etc. Plus, they are adding sales staff to do what I do at a lower rate. They seem focused on those newbies at the exclusion and at times determent of the more seasoned staff. They have restructured the company so they have taken very lucrative accounts away from me without leaving me much opportunity to make back that revenue. And, there is really no other job at this company that I want to do, that I can do without moving to their main office.

So, all in all, I am sad to
  more... have to leave this company but I feel like it is time to move on. I look forward to finding another great company to produce for and learn from.  less
Pros
interesting business, great corporate culture and benefits
Cons
unnecessary scrutiny, production stress (even with my achievement), no appropriate advancement