Carson's Employee Reviews in United States

Management Mayhem
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INApril 29, 2016
New General Manager started on black Friday week. Acted rather mean and his goals must be attained. Other department managers were scared of him. The other managers took frustrations out on other associates
Pros
Long Lunches. Mostly good associates
Cons
Dictatorial management. Super low pay for what is expected.
Part time Retailer Sales Associate
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INApril 15, 2016
I worked for this retailer only 10-15 hours a week in their fine jewelry department. Of course, it came with very little benefits. It gave me the satisfaction of getting out for a few hours a week, after resigning from my full time position at the Indiana State Lottery Commission after a car accident that left me somewhat impaired. The fine jewelry in each store at the time was actually owned by Finely Jewelry.
Pros
Was able to purchase jewelry on accomdation at great discount price, . I would consider this as a great benefit.
Cons
Usually worked alone with the responsibile of closing. and safely put jewelry away in safe.
Lost in the shuffle
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILMarch 30, 2016
Working for Carson's was ok. Hours and schedule suited me at the time but the pay was low. And when they cut hours after the holidays it really became a drag. cool gig if you just need something part-time.
Pros
employee dicount, close to home
Cons
low pay, not enough hours
great first place to start
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMarch 23, 2016
great place to get started. they provide great training and offer advancement opportunities when available and qualified people present themselves. nice pay but could be a little better. not bad work.
A great place with an opportunity to grow.
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  North Riverside, ILMarch 6, 2016
Every day there is something new there, whether it's with a customer or an associate. I am very thankful with that company because I was able to step up in the store and grow as a person.
Pros
the people
Cons
time management
decent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 23, 2016
-opening registers
-checking fitting rooms
-greeting customers
-ringing out customers
-processing payments & returns for customers
-recovering tables & fixtures
-remerchandising
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
No opportunities to better your self in the company.
Terrible training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIFebruary 10, 2016
I love the store but I would never want to work there again, during my training time three times no one was there to train me, I just had to go on my own.
Perks and Incentives but Difficult
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 21, 2016
Typically, I was not very busy unless there was a special sale going on. If the store was dead, we were not allowed to leave without getting a demerit. Not sure why staffing is not determined by sales. I learned all about the items in the home department and my customer service skills were enhanced. I loved the HR employee. She was very sweet and understanding. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling and the pressure to sell instant credit. I was short-time and if I needed a day off I was required to put in a 30-day notice. Ridiculous. Plus, there was no consideration that I worked a full-time job during the week when I was scheduled for 8-hour shifts on the weekend. It is completely unreasonable if I work a four-hour shift in home and a Tuesday evening that I would sell an instant credit when I have four customers. There was more pressure over selling credit than selling the merchandise. I felt more appreciated than at my full-time job with employee appreciation discounts, pizza parties, and rewards for being the first one of the day to sell instant credit.
Pros
Perks, incentives, discount
Cons
Instant credit requirements, scheduling
Not functional
Cashier/regular (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 20, 2016
I was seasonal. My first day was on black Friday, and I had no training what-so-ever. They did not even show me where to clock in at first. I had to learn everything through another associate. At the end of my position, they ignored my calls and avoided me when I asked for hours since they did not give me my schedule for 3 weeks. They then sent me a letter saying my position was over.
Pros
good pay, good discount
Cons
horribly communication, no LP, disorganized
Carson's is a great place to work.
Sales Associate/Customers Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Carson's is a great place to work. Co-workers are highly motivated to provide excellent service to customers. I learned a lot about customer service.
Pros
Nice place to work.
Very frustrating and made me quit retail forever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 15, 2016
Your coworkers will likely become your good friends but that is the only good part about this job. Scheduling was never done correctly. Often there is one person working in a department, and while that works for smaller departments, it doesn't work in big departments. Put someone with HR certification in your HR management positions. Pushed to open as many credit cards as you can, essentially putting people into debt so that you can make your goals and not get written up monthly. The coupons are unbearably complicated and as an associate you're expected to basically be an expert mathematician and separate customer's orders into 10 different transactions so they can use all of their coupons. You also have to be the one to tell the customers that their coupons won't work on the majority of the items they have, and then be verbally abused and have coupons and/or items thrown at your face. Too many sales that last one to two days, causing associates to use a lot of their time to set signs that will more than likely be coming down that night. Store manager will undermine associates in front of customers, is disrespectful to employees and unprofessional. The higher up corporate people have no idea how things actually work in the store yet they are the ones making decisions that impact the customers.
Pros
Nice coworkers, 20% discount
Cons
Not enough compensation, verbally abusive customers, disorganized, miscommunication
At the store level, I enjoyed the management and my co-workers. But Corporate Carsons was not effective.
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 1, 2016
Store management was fantastic.... corporate management was difficult...It seemed like policies were constantly changing. My co-workers were incredible.
ok place to work for a small company
furniture assembly (Former Employee) –  Archdale, NCDecember 16, 2015
the day moves slow in the mornings but rapidly speeds up and the moves on through in a rocky fashion, I learned a lot about furniture repairs in all areas. management needs work, they are young and feel the need to change things that are unbroken. communication is horrible. the employees are amazingly fun for the most part. my favorite thing about the job was fixing things and quiting time
Pros
close to home, long lunches
Cons
low pay, not so great inssurance
smooth and easy
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 4, 2015
This company gave me my first opportunity to see what work life was all about. My co-workers helped me out when I needed it without giving me grief and it was always a fun competition between areas to see who could be the most helpful and cheerful towards customers. definitely brought me into a good work habit.
Worst job ever
Beauty (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILDecember 4, 2015
Management are clueless. Store Manager is a dictator. No room for growth. Bad hours. Low pay. No incentives. All they do is want and give nothing in return. Its all about money. They encourage women to be like animals with selling tactics. Stressful job.
Pros
Great people work there!
Okay place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILDecember 2, 2015
Great discount, fun environment, great benefits.

The only reason that I left was because of how we were treated by the store manager.
Pros
Benefits, discounts
Cons
Unsupportive store manager
low pay to do 5 jobs
Merchandising Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILNovember 11, 2015
ok management. low wages not enough staff.get hired for one job end up doing five other jobs. wont hire enough people to cover shifts. low ball on hours and expect you to work without lunches to cover customers.
cosmetics
Cosmetic consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 5, 2015
As ive said before many times its retail. gals like to think working in cosmetics is a dream job well let me tell you clean clean clean oh and when your not with someone you will be calling people to get them to come in. metrics is the key here and your not going to get paid that much however for extra income its great and if your in it for the long haul
Amazing workplace Lacking Growth Opportunities
Clinique Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIOctober 26, 2015
As one walks into Carson's, the buzz begins. It is going to be a busy and eventful day. Working hard is a must and thinking on your toes expected. Customers are waiting to shop and talk with associates about their products.

Co-workers are filing in and starting up for the day. Reading up on material for the start of the day and events which are crucial for each product line.

The best part of the day is giving the client exactly what they needed and they walk away with products that will help them feel better about each day.

The challenging part is working with a management that is about the bottom line and not the client.
excellent benefits, discounts on merchandise
sales associate fine jewelry (Current Employee) –  Springhill Mall, W. DundeeOctober 15, 2015
Enjoyed working there for 3 years now.
I liked all the people and my job.
The reason I'm leaving there is the distance
of 37 miles each way.