Carter Lumber Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the variety my job and the people I saw everyday.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INJanuary 14, 2016
I looked forward to going to work each day. I enjoyed the different aspects my job offered; dealing with HR questions, prioritizing emails to answer, or inputting many new home starts. It was satisfying to know I was someone others could rely on. Most all my co-workers worked well together and were willing to help each other. Some days were hard because of the volume of items that had to be accomplished in a timely manner. I worked daily with the Operations Manager and the Plant Manager. I also assisted the General Manager of the Indianapolis Market throughout the month.
Through out my 10 years at Carter Lumber, I learned to handle many Human Resource issues, to understand Accounts Payable procedures, the importance of Inventory Management procedures, to field customer service calls and the importance of time management.
Pros
Family friendly, understanding environment
Cons
Commute
One of the least organized companies I've worked for in 20 years.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Clinton, OHJanuary 6, 2016
Management is the problem. Inconsistent enforcement of rules. Management does not follow policies and procedures outlined in employee handbook. Teamwork is not valued, nor encouraged. Time card punches are routinely altered without reason and without informing employees.
Pros
Enjoyable work crew.
Cons
Terribly inept management.
I like working here.
Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middlefield, OHDecember 28, 2015
Carter Lumber is my favorite job that I've been at so far. The pay is fair, the hours are decent as are the benefits. The management and work environment are both good. But it is just a job for me, not a career.
A Good Company With Some Really Good People
Contractor Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Piketon, OHDecember 14, 2015
This is a decent company to work for and there are some really good people in it. Just like any big company you can find some really dirt bags but as a whole I couldn't complain.
Pros
Pay and People
Cons
Have to move to be able to advance
Minimal tools to do an effective job
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, IndianaNovember 17, 2015
Research discrepancies daily with purchase orders against invoices from vendors (A/P matching), research negative on hand report, identify future sales against current inventory and working with management in generating orders accordingly (track selling trends and anticipate fluctuation in demand). Monitor inner-store transfers, and pair purchase orders with cost confirmation from vendor. Verify inbound freight’s POD against purchase order. Tag non-stock product with “unique ID” identifier and assign a location to place product. Receive product into system, consistent activity of filing paperwork. Work closely with corporate A/P department researching inventory and ledger discrepancies.
This company lacks a “team” attitude. From the individual employees to management, and all the way to the corporate office is concerned with how does the outcome effect “me” rather than the company as a whole.
The hardest part of job is seeing the potential for this location to become more profitable but the management team is short sided, (not getting the right people on the bus and in the proper seats).
The most enjoyable part of job is knowing what I do has an big impact on helping the company’s profitability.
Pros
loose atmosphere, little to no management supervision
Cons
poor working environment, inadequate resources to effectively do job
It was just a internship
Assistant Manager Internship (Former Employee) –  Reno, PANovember 8, 2015
I learned how to be a assistant manger. I learned how to do cash report, how to stock shelves, how to check in a truck. The co-workers are nice.
Pros
`
Productive, easy going yet hair pulling at some times
office manager (Current Employee) –  Winder, GANovember 5, 2015
High paced, sometimes needed in a few different areas. I have learned a lot from this company. I also have grown as a person and individual in the time I have been with this company. Management has room to grow however they are great individuals. I couldn't ask for better co-workers. We are like family, and having that makes the work atmosphere great. Numbers can be the hardest part of my job at moments. With all the reconciling I do it can sometimes be hair pulling but at the end of the day I am always relieved and smiling when I have got everything done and met deadlines.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
secrective, micro managing
No periodic reviews or raises
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INNovember 2, 2015
You run 1 to 2 route per day. I have learned to identify different kinds of trim for housing interior and exterior. My co-workers are some great people to work with. This is a very physically demanding job and at times requires some on the spot decision making as to where to park the truck at a job site to get as close to the structure as possible.
Pros
benefits, medical, dental and vision
Cons
Long days. unquified dispatcher
Working with public, busy but fun
sales and retail (Former Employee) –  Port Clinton, OHOctober 26, 2015
Helping people find what they need, answering questions, helping customers decide on different things, show customers different designs, doing estimates for projects, helping co-workers with questions they ask or vise versa. Hardest part is a dissatisfied customer and working thru the problem. Seeing a project come together and finished is most enjoyable
Pros
working with the public, helping customers make decisions
Cons
unsatisfied customers
carter lumber
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ashland vaOctober 13, 2015
I was tasked to be assistant mgr and kitchen cabinet designer for only 10 dollars an hour. The company was bought out . I was also doing deliveries when the truck driver was sick.
Pros
Cons
no advancement
Positive
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INSeptember 15, 2015
The working environment was most positive. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable-always there to offer assistance. The managers were available for answering questions and communicated well.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No raises. (company wide-multiple years)
Unsafe working environment.
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 9, 2015
Been a driver for 17 years and this has to be one of the worst company that I've ever seen. They don't know how to manage loads. They have too many people in charge. They act like they care about their employees but will have you drive over your allowed hours, trucks are unsafe and not maintained. Never been treated so poorly in my life at a job. I was just a body with a CDL. If you don't care about your life, family or career perfect place to work. There is a reason the longest person working there is only been there over a year. Don't waste your time.
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
Poor management.
Great enviroment, horriable management
Truck Driver/ Load Builder (Former Employee) –  White Lake, MIAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed working with the public and my fellow team members. Carter Lumber has to many people in charge and no one knows what the other is doing.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Bad management
Easy work
Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHJuly 17, 2015
Good place to work. A lot of fun and productivity, but pay was substandard. Inventory during the winter was very compelling.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Compensation
Great Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 7, 2015
Great new company to work in. Everything was new and dust free. The the downfall of other lumber companies, it help business boom.
Building materials supplier
Corporate (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 2, 2015
Building materials supplier focused primarily on new construction for residential home builders.

- Primarily services Midwest
- Based in Akron, Ohio
- Privately owned company
- Work week typically Mon-Fri
terrible.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mason OhioMay 14, 2015
Terrible managing, with insane work hours from 60-80 hours a week for some employees. pay is bad for the work your doing, and the standards they ask for are impossible to meet.cheap , and inefficient equipment.
Pros
not much
Cons
Hot long hours, short breaks, and rediculous everything
A very taxing job with the distance between jobs and road travel in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 30, 2015
There was a lot of traveling between Washington D.C., Fairfax, VA., Westminster, MD., Sykesville, VA., Finksburg, MD.

You cannot travel the distances I did and give the owners, (Contractors) quality work when you are working for three contractors and they all want you there the majority of the day.

They were O.K. and understanding.

Never dealt with them. Rarely went to the office. The main salesman I worked wit was good to work with.

Not having good subcontractor base, unrealistic expectations from some of the GC. and massive amount of road traveling.

Cant say that I know.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Read #1, 2, 5 and 6 above.
Horrible place to work!
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne/Corunna/Huntington, INMarch 15, 2015
This place is a joke. Management is Horrible. Supposed to be a family friendly place. yeah right. Everyone walks around cussing and belittling others. There is barley any products in the showroom to show customers. They are always complaining they can't see what they want to order. The employees can also over ride prices so nobody gets consistent pricing. Management pays very little or nothing at all to fix up their own houses. Or inventory "goes missing" or "damaged" out. You only get promoted if you are best friends with the boss. I don't recommend working here or shopping here.
Pros
if full time-vacation and sick pay after a year
Cons
horrible work environment, no training
Screwed up company!
Yard specialist (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAMarch 9, 2015
If I could give this company zero stars I would!! This was the worst excuse for a "family-friendly" company. The managers won't like you if you aren't just like them. There is not one thing family friendly about this place at all. The management is always walking around yelling and cussing at the employees and belittling them. If you do one thing wrong you better be prepared to get called every name in the book. The management along with the employees are very judgmental and closed minded individuals. Everything they tell you at orientation and your interview is the complete opposite of how they treat you once you are hired on. I should have known that it was going to be a total bust when my first day there, the person I interviewed with was acting like a completely different person. Then the manager over the whole operation came out and started yelling and cussing everyone out. I don't see how this company is even allowed to still be open.
Cons
horrible management, slander, one 30 minute break when you work 12-14, crooked management