Carter Lumber Employee Reviews

It paid the bills. I enjoyed the people i work with
driver (Former Employee) –  Winder, GADecember 6, 2016
Absolutely positively no caring company at all. Management is so horrible. They don't care about employees at all. Unorganized no raises or advancement you might get a raise if your a good worker and you put in your 2 week notice lol. No bonus money or anything like that. The manager is far from a manager. His big body self calls other employees names and insults them when he was probably picked on in high school then the president of the company doesn't give a dang about no one he works out of the winder store been there for 2 years never even shook his hand. If you think about working at carter go look in the mirror and slap yourself and tell yourself that your better than that. Corporate if you read this please go shut this store down
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Manager, money, unorganized, everything else
Not a place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 20, 2017
This is not a place to work. They do not give raises and everyone has a horrible attitude The lack help all the time, they expect you to do more for no more pay.
Poor management.
Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 1, 2016
I started as a driver and worked my way into dispatch. Very poor management. Most outside sales reps had the mentality of 1st graders, crying when they didn't get their way. As a salaried employee it wasn't uncommon to work 12+ hours a day. It seemed like a good job at the beginning, but no matter how loyal you are, they'll stab you in the back or throw you under the bus. I gave the company a lot of my time, only to be tossed out in the end.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, poor management.
An untrustworthy company
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntington, INJanuary 24, 2016
I worked for Carter Lumber for six years and within that time I was never evaluated. I did not receive a raise until I threatened to leave this past year. They do not value the loyal hard working employee. Management is poor. Rules were bent and theft happening within the company. No one was held accountable for their actions. Inventory every year was a joke. We would pencil whip numbers to make management look good in front of corporate. And if you were a lazy worker but best friends with management, you never had to fear of losing your job because you were just promoted to another to "job title". And when they close a store, they close with crass. No notice. Two week severance. That's it. Absolutely no job security.
Pros
Great health care
Cons
Management had the "good ol boys" mentality, disrespectful to employees, no employee evolutions, no accountability held, did I say poor management?
Great coworkers and assistant manager was awesome.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHNovember 9, 2016
I worked there about 2 years and enjoyed going to work because each day was different than before. The customers were always nice and helpful when I started kind of green to the business. Upper management was stuck on tthemselves and others were thieves. Pay was awful so moral suffered. We worked around that as long as we could but then store manager was let go for stealing and the new one was an idiot company man so not long after the store closed.
Pros
Coworkers, Customers
Cons
Pay, upper brass
Great customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INFebruary 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Carter Lumber because of the customers. They made each day enjoyable and I liked helping them with their needs. The management of the store was less than I would have preferred. The manager was more concerned about himself and didn't step up to help his employees.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Manager
hard to work for
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHFebruary 11, 2017
Management was hard to work for didn't care how long you worked or if your truck was unsafe to drive bottom line they only care about the money
Pros
crew was nice to work with
Cons
trucks unsafe management
Good benefits, poor management
COC (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 19, 2016
After working there for over a year I never received my 6 month review I was promised, nor my year review so surprise no raise. I worked overtime when needed, and did more than my fair share of the department work while others used company time for their own use. I actually enjoyed my job but was too stressed.
okay place to work
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Decent place to work but poor management did not like working outside in cold weather , but like working with the other employees
Excellent Learning Experience
Estimator/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHOctober 12, 2016
Carter Lumber was an excellent learning experience in all aspects from business sales, stocking, employee relations, management styles, financing, etc.

I would love to get back with Carter Lumber in any aspect of the business. I need to stay in the state of Ohio.
Pros
Every day was a difference learning experience
Poor Management
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 4, 2016
Not recommended for any one looking for work I've seen them fire people for absolutely no reason without warning. I have seen quite a few arguments with the dispatcher who usually starts the arguments then makes it seem like he did nothing to management to get people fired. it happened recently to a fellow coworker.
Customer Oriented and Fast Pace Environment
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 14, 2016
The position as bookkeeper was a responsible and enjoyable job. The employees were easy to work with and Management was even better..

The hardest part of the job was being able to leave as scheduled, since customers always come first. I became use to the flexible schedule and found that the position could lead to bigger and better things, had I been willing to work full time.

I believe Management recognized a good employee! They ask me to travel to other branches to train office employees after one year.
Pros
Environment, Employees, Customers
Cons
I truly can't think of any bad "Cons".
Lack of concern for safty.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 26, 2016
Management more concern about bonuses than up keep of vehicles and equipment. Management did not want to address unsafe problems concerning truck mounted fork lift and other safety issues.
Hard Work day
Yard Manager/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 28, 2016
Simply working for this company was great, everyday was different which makes the job more enjoyable. I had to go back to school or I would have continued working for this wonderful company.
Production driven with technical and quality in every piece
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 26, 2017
~ Managed 4-5 employees with the production of custom interior and exterior doors
~ Daily production planning, Quality Control assurance of products and shipment
very nice people to work for
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Inwood, WVNovember 18, 2016
they were very carring and would give us free lunches every so often they would help you with any personal promblems that they could. they took a interest in your family and your personal needs.
Pros
frre lunches
Lots of backstabbing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 31, 2017
Horrible place to work. Don't trust anyone. They will tell you what you want to hear but then change when it suits them. Bad atmosphere and not conducive to a productive work environment.
Obama must run this place too.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, OHJune 7, 2013
Promised big money if I could bring my customers from last lumberyard, said the company was growing and could be part of this euphoria type of environment. Didn't take long to figure out this place is a joke. They hire sales staff from competitors to get new accounts opened with them and then raise your sales goals to unachievable levels in no time so they have an excuse to take compensation guarantees away. I tried to direct ship I-joists a couple weeks ago and couldn't because the company I booked the order with had cut us off for being past due. Management is ridiculous, former yard guy they moved in with no business sense or respect for his staff. Don't "get Cartered", a big box store treats their staff better. I'm already looking for a next gig.
Pros
Can hang out at home on rainy days.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, false promises.
I like working here.
Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middlefield, OHDecember 28, 2015
Carter Lumber is my favorite job that I've been at so far. The pay is fair, the hours are decent as are the benefits. The management and work environment are both good. But it is just a job for me, not a career.
Carter is Terrible
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 5, 2016
The dispatcher has more power than management and is the dumbest one there. Over load trucks, send a truck with a broken moffitt to a job and have another truck follow ro unload. When you bring up issue mange mentioned blows you off. 1st day on job 2 drivers were fired and all the others are looking for jobs. Management talks to everyone lie dogs. This location needs a management, dispatcher over haul. All other branches tell us they hear how stupid our managers are. Terrible place to work, better off being homeless. They are going to get someone killed. And FYI, they do not want to train you.
Pros
Other Driver are Awesome!
Cons
The whole Charlottd Branch needs to close down!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Lumber. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6