Carter Machinery Co., Inc.

Carter Machinery Co., Inc. Employer Reviews

Was a very fast paced environment
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee), Salem, VANovember 27, 2013
Pros: good oppurtunities to learn
Cons: personalities play largely into success
I had a good solid 27 years at Carter. I came in as an "entry level engine technician" and left as a supervisor that served in 4 different service areas over an 8 year span and learned alot in these various positions.
Great Company with good people
Warehouseman/Parts Counter Support (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2013
Carter was a great place to work and a company I was proud to tell people I worked for. I enjoyed the relationships I formed with co-workers as well as customers. My hard work was rewarded and I would recommend Carter to anyone.
Management is sloppy, blames the new employee for faulty mistakes.
Service Advisor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: good company overall. management at richmond power that needs some work.
Cons: horrible upper management, worse managers i've worked for, no training
Typical day for a "management trainee" is doing the grunt work and paper pushing. If you have a manager like I did who doesn't communicate and never tells you when work has changed you'll be in for a long ride. Also having a manager that sucks up to the Area Manager and is gone half the day doesn't help. Their main concerns are when's lunch? and when – more... does 5 o'clock get here so I can go to Green Top. Other departments were a great bunch of people. If I were you I'd beware of the Area Manager, he's a snake. No training at all. You are put in a seat and given absolutely no direction.

All the technicians were great to work with. They knew when to work and knew how to get the job done.

They let someone go who never called in sick but the person who called in at least three times a month was still employed. Management that was based off relationships with co workers not business. – less
average place to work
A Class Machinist (Current Employee), salem, virginiaJuly 12, 2013
I learned to repair broken equipment for cat parts,
Thing that i don't like is that a lot of precision repairs are without
blueprint, and a lot of guess work comes into play.
When i do a job I want to make sure that its as close ro perfect as possible.
My boss is very good to work for. The job is enjoyable when new parts with dimensions are to be made.
Old time management
Parts Associate (Former Employee), Princeton, WVMay 11, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: management, poor hr
My co-workers were a great group of guys. But the companies top management were very unprofessional.
Mid-Level Sized Company With Small Company Feel
Corporate EHS Administrator (Current Employee), Salem, VAApril 4, 2013
Great company with progressive leadership who value employee happiness and satisfaction.
high work produtive, team oreanted
Machinist (Former Employee), Salem, VAJanuary 30, 2013
team oreanted , high standard of quality and production family oreanted oportunity for learning new processes and products
A great Team Player
Hydraulic Cylinder Tech/Instore Sales (Current Employee), Princeton, WVOctober 7, 2012
Pros: great work environment
Cons: n/a
I like to be invloved with many tasks that takes everybody to work together to get tasks completed!
Was a Good Company to work for
Lift Truck Mechanic/Road Tech (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAApril 16, 2012
Pros: good people to work with, salary/benifits were good.
Cons: sold off the lift truck division
I worked with the Carter Lift Truck Division for about 3 years. I started as a shop technician for about 1 year, then I transferred to being a PM service Tech. I really did not care for the road work, but overall it was not bad. If Carter machinery had not Sold off/Closed the Lift Truck Division, I probably would still be there. Was a good company to – more... work for. – less

About Carter Machinery Co., Inc.

Founded in 1952 and comprising 21 locations, Carter Machinery is the Caterpillar dealer serving Virginia and southern West Virginia. – Read more

Carter Machinery Co., Inc. Photos